Fundraiser - BloodBath and Beyond needs your help!

Find out more about projects that need your help, and how you can show them support. Please note: only on-playa projects may be listed.

Re: BloodBath and Beyond needs your help!

Postby Savannah » Mon May 06, 2013 3:37 pm

Simon of the Playa wrote:i have had that raspberry jam, and it was Ambrosia.

spread that on anything, and it instantly becomes tasty.

Seriously, the best raspberry jam of my life. :D
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby maryanimal » Mon May 06, 2013 4:03 pm

I think I had some at last year's M&G. It WAS tasty. Addictive even!
Sometimes I'm confused by what I think is really obvious. But what I think is really obvious obviously isn't obvious.
maryanimal

Burning Since: 2011

Postby mgb327 » Mon May 06, 2013 5:23 pm

I have been working a lot on my raspberry patches this year, should be a massive crop. It is raining again now, it all helps. I handed out 3 quarts of that jam at the M&G last year, spoon by spoon, and it was a pure pleasure to gift it. It's like practicing the piano, after 23 years of making it, one gets fairly good at it. I am bringing a big stash to the M&G again this year....I made probably 200 jars last year, gave it all away.
Dogs are the leaders of the planet. If you see two life forms, one of them’s making a poop, the other one’s carrying it for him, who would you assume is in charge?
" I am a controlled substance". Savannah.
mgb327

Postby zerzura » Mon May 06, 2013 6:10 pm

tattoogoddess wrote:Yes because they have money to do it or charge camp dues in the hundreds or do fundraisers with in the camp.
We have none of these. So we are asking the public to help.

Why don't you ask the rest of the camp to pool their resources to pay for the booze, etc? That is how most camps pay for their "gift". Otherwise, it just seems weird that you are asking people to pay you to gift them with a drink. Maybe instead of a typical fundraiser, you could set it up as sponsorship? They pay for 4 drinks, and get mailed a special ticket for one and you give away the rest.

Nevermind, that sounds unlikely. I don't know why anyone but someone in our own camp would donate money for a camp to serve booze. You would probably do much better asking people to bring a bottle of vodka to donate and you bring all the mixers and ice. In fact, I bet you could get enough booze for the whole week that way -- it always seems to be plentiful. That would certainly be more fun.
zerzura

Postby BBadger » Mon May 06, 2013 6:21 pm

A camp paying for its own camp activity? What kind of maniacal gibberish is this!?
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby tattoogoddess » Mon May 06, 2013 8:10 pm

zerzura wrote:
tattoogoddess wrote:Yes because they have money to do it or charge camp dues in the hundreds or do fundraisers with in the camp.

Why don't you ask the rest of the camp to pool their resources to pay for the booze, etc? That is how most camps pay for their "gift". Otherwise, it just seems weird that you are asking people to pay you to gift them with a drink. Maybe instead of a typical fundraiser, you could set it up as sponsorship? They pay for 4 drinks, and get mailed a special ticket for one and you give away the rest.

Nevermind, that sounds unlikely. I don't know why anyone but someone in our own camp would donate money for a camp to serve booze. You would probably do much better asking people to bring a bottle of vodka to donate and you bring all the mixers and ice. In fact, I bet you could get enough booze for the whole week that way -- it always seems to be plentiful. That would certainly be more fun.

1- already done, there is a mandatory booze/mix they must bring to camp. This will allow for the bar to be open 2 to 3 hours in the morning. But no more and that sucks. Not everyone in our camp has alot of money so we are pushing it with how much we are telling to bring. So it sits were it sits.
2- selling tickets? Isn't that kinda against burning man principles? Not going that route.
3- if you read the whole fundraising page which you did not, it says at the bottom... Other things to help- spread the word and bring vodka or other booze and mixers to our camp. Please read next time before getting on someone. It's not cool.
maladroit- Burning Man is like a second job, except you pay to work there.
Burning Man is just the pre party for exodus! - fellow burner during exodus
http://burnon.wix.com/bloodbathandbeyond
tattoogoddess

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: bloodbath and beyond

Postby BeeWeeDee » Mon May 06, 2013 8:29 pm

My thought pattern prior to the discussion here included the following:

Pack in a case each of Bloody Mary mix, Tonic water and Seltzer.
Put a bag of limes, lemons and celery sticks in the cooler.

Then gift the mixers and garnishes to my neighborhood watering hole with a bag of ice at about cocktail time each day.

It must be noon somewhere.
"If you embrace change you'll love it forever." - Ratty
BeeWeeDee

Postby Savannah » Mon May 06, 2013 9:55 pm

zerzura wrote:

This is how the camp I am most closely affiliated with managed two grilled cheese sandwich nights, several hours long. We spread out the financial responsibility quite a bit. It was painless. A dozen people brought a couple of loaves of bread apiece, maybe 15 or 20 people brought cheese, I took responsibility for oil . . . I went through a Klamath Falls checkout line with a bedpillow, 15 gallons of water, cheap champagne, several pairs of false eyelashes, some star-shaped earrings, a pair of soccer socks, and 10 cans of butter-flavor Pam butter spray. The cashier raised her eyebrows.

"Going camping," I explained.
"Okay . . . "
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby BBadger » Tue May 07, 2013 12:35 am

tattoogoddess wrote:1- already done, there is a mandatory booze/mix they must bring to camp. This will allow for the bar to be open 2 to 3 hours in the morning. But no more and that sucks. Not everyone in our camp has alot of money so we are pushing it with how much we are telling to bring. So it sits were it sits.

Why does that suck? Those folk who gave away those Vietnamese coffee drinks only had enough to last an hour per day. My camp's last minute, one-night, public grilled cheese cook-off lasted a single hour because of demand. We just hauled in what we could and it was great. Yeah, some rubes didn't understand what day "2 AM" fell into, showed up a day late and didn't get served, but transient events are fun in that way.

You don't need to serve the playa 24/7. You shouldn't plan on it. In fact, that makes it even less special because it is available all the time. All you'll be adding is quantity, not quality.

2- selling tickets? Isn't that kinda against burning man principles? Not going that route.

I'm happy you see through that brand of malignant fundraising cancer that afflicted the playa last year.

3- if you read the whole fundraising page which you did not, it says at the bottom... Other things to help- spread the word and bring vodka or other booze and mixers to our camp. Please read next time before getting on someone. It's not cool.

Let's be honest here. The main emphasis of your OP and the crowd-fund-me page is the $3,200 fundraiser, not the product donations. This is not a plea to bring mixers; it's a plea for funds.

Yeah, we know it's expensive, especially that particular mixed drink. The problem here are these self-imposed expectations on your camp and its activity that don't reflect your camp's resources. Your camp is making a come-back. It doesn't need to be huge or host an outrageous and lavish event. Don't bite off more than you can chew, and more importantly, don't expect outside funding to allow you to do so.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

BBadger

Postby tattoogoddess » Tue May 07, 2013 1:18 am

To be frank, if we could be gifted that amount of booze we are trying to raise funds for I would be happy. But I highly doubt it will happen. :(
tattoogoddess

Postby zerzura » Thu May 09, 2013 2:53 pm

tattoogoddess wrote:3- if you read the whole fundraising page which you did not, it says at the bottom... Other things to help- spread the word and bring vodka or other booze and mixers to our camp. Please read next time before getting on someone. It's not cool.

I truly was trying to be nice and suggest an alternative way that has worked for a lot of other camps -- mine included. Your response above is a bit rude.
zerzura

Postby Earthwalker » Fri May 10, 2013 2:50 pm

International Incident wrote:I can't stop myself posting.. I just can't

I usually give about $500 to various "projects" each year (well for my three years thus far anyway).

My criteria is as follows:
1. Am I funding art?
2. Do I like the idea of the art?
3. Do I think that the people requesting my money will use it for the art?
4. Does the group involved have their shit together?

If I can't get to ticks in all those boxes then my credit card stays in my wallet.

From looking at the successful projects on starterkickergogo I reckon that most people that donate think the same way.

Not funding someone's booze camp.

Build more art people!

I agree with THIS. And some of the other things mentioned. I have no ill will towards you or anyone, but personally I would only gift if someone were trying to put together some sort of art camp/art installation/vehicle etc AND it was truly for the benefit of all of the playa. Gifting booze is cool I suppose, but I'm not going to give someone money so they can give away booze. People can buy their own damn booze or just drink water, like I do. And if someone can't afford to pay for the camp they want to build, then they should build a smaller camp.

It's like politicians. Oh, well, we'd love to give everyone free haircuts, bread, wristbands, and maybe even free pants. How are we going to pay for it? Well, we don't have the money, but we'll gladly take all of yours, and on top of it we'll go into bad debt so that financing it costs more and to pay for it, and guess what? We'll come take more money from you to cover it.

That just doesn't make sense to me. If you can't afford it, don't spend it. Simple. Just like how I run my household (actually my wife does, but shhhh, don't tell anyone).

I would also contribute to help someone get to BM. Because being there is what this is about. Not fancy theme camps that allow the "owners" to be like "oooh, look at me and my cool theme camp".

Again, I'm not attacking TTG, just the underlying concept
Please forgive me...this cubicle has stolen portions of my mind and my soul
Earthwalker

Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Trifucta

Postby tattoogoddess » Fri May 10, 2013 3:38 pm

Ok we are beating a dead horse, if you do not want to donate don't. Can we please just give this thread a rest? I get it. You guys don't like me, I'm not part of the "cool kids" around here, my ideas all suck,my fundraiser sucks and that's that. Please just drop it. They won't let me delete this thread or the fundraiser.
tattoogoddess

Postby 48_love » Fri May 10, 2013 3:50 pm

don't sweat the net ... and good luck!
48_love

Postby PhoenixFemmeFatale » Fri May 10, 2013 4:08 pm

tattoogoddess wrote:Ok we are beating a dead horse, if you do not want to donate don't. Can we please just give this thread a rest? I get it. You guys don't like me, I'm not part of the "cool kids" around here, my ideas all suck,my fundraiser sucks and that's that. Please just drop it. They won't let me delete this thread or the fundraiser.

Don't beat yourself up over this thread.... I like that you felt comfortable enough to reach out to eplaya for help. Sometimes, a little help goes a long way. The thing about asking for help is that the people responding are given a choice. So, with that said: if someone wants to help, then help. If someone doesn't want to help, then don't. Plain and simple. Don't knock someone down just for asking for help- politely decline or accept and MOVE ON! Be kind people!
"I hitched a ride with a vending machine repair man
He says he's been down this road more than twice
He was high on intellectualism
I've never been there but the brochure looks nice"
PhoenixFemmeFatale

Postby Earthwalker » Fri May 10, 2013 4:09 pm

tattoogoddess wrote:Ok we are beating a dead horse, if you do not want to donate don't. Can we please just give this thread a rest? I get it. You guys don't like me, I'm not part of the "cool kids" around here, my ideas all suck,my fundraiser sucks and that's that. Please just drop it. They won't let me delete this thread or the fundraiser.

For me it has nothing to do with you or your camp. I was just commenting on the general concept. I've never met any of you so I would never even be able to determine who is cool or who isn't. Though that Simon guy seems like a cool cat.

I really wonder where the phrase "beating a dead horse" came from. Was there some sicko at some point in history that went around beating everyone's dead horses? B/c that's just cruel

(Oh, and to make this very ironic, my theme camp has a kickstarter to fund the camp. So I guess I'm just a hypocrite!) :)
Earthwalker

Postby Earthwalker » Fri May 10, 2013 4:15 pm

PhoenixFemmeFatale wrote:

Don't beat yourself up over this thread.... I like that you felt comfortable enough to reach out to eplaya for help. Sometimes, a little help goes a long way. The thing about asking for help is that the people responding are given a choice. So, with that said: if someone wants to help, then help. If someone doesn't want to help, then don't. Plain and simple. Don't knock someone down just for asking for help- politely decline or accept and MOVE ON! Be kind people!

I 100% agree with the "be kind" principle. I don't know the background, but it does seem like TTG gets beat up on a lot for some reason. Not sure what occurred or didn't occur.

BUT, I feel like if you put something out there on an online forum, you gotta realize that you may get kicked around a little. It's just the nature of forums. It's been that way on every forum I"ve ever been on. Not that it's right, but I know to expect it. And if I don't like it, I can leave, ignore it, or just tell them to suck balls. Hell, it happened to me on here when all I did was ask what time the sun generally sets. Those dang bastards hurt my feelings

Yeah, if you want to, then move forward with it. Just maybe realize this isn't the place, and go ask elsewhere.
Earthwalker

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri May 10, 2013 6:57 pm

Earthwalker wrote:I really wonder where the phrase "beating a dead horse" came from. Was there some sicko at some point in history that went around beating everyone's dead horses? B/c that's just cruel

Back in the old days... Well, it wasn't beating a dead horse. Imagine you're a delivery man, you don't make much money and you cannot afford much of a horse, and you can't afford it the best feed, and you are poor, as in 19th-century poor. (Back when even Europe/America were 3rd world countries.) Sometimes, you are out on your rounds and your horse stops pulling and you try everything--bribery with food, pulling it, I don't know what else, I don't know horses well. So, you resort to the whip. It's not all that odd, if you think of it. We hit our cars when they frustrate us. In a sick way, hitting something that's alive and responds might be more gratifying. And the horse moves. so the next time, and there is a next time, you do it again. And over time it takes more strokes, and more force in each one. And at some tragic point, you need more than the horse can give... And you beat the poor thing to death.
Beating a dead horse refers to being so angry that even after the horse is dead--1000 #s of meat, lying on the cobblestones, of no use to anyone but the knacker--you keep on beating it...
I understand it to be a very ugly thing to witness, although I have never seen myself. However, Fyodor Michealivitch Dostoevesky, when a child, actually saw his father (in a drunken rage, iirc) beat a horse to death and was very traumatized by it. When he grew up it showed up in Crime and Punishment, intercut with Madame Marmeladova's death scene.
I have rather an aversion to evoking such suffering, especially when we don't live and have not experienced such desperation, but I am a minority opinion around here with that one.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Simon of the Playa » Sat May 11, 2013 1:47 pm

Earthwalker wrote:

Though that Simon guy seems like a cool cat.

i am a vicious brute with terrible manners and horrible horrible behavioral maladjustments.

any of this "cool" you speak of is a slanderous lie.

i have simply transcended trends and now represent whatever people think i represent.

i'm like chauncy gardiner meets breaking bad.

put that in your stem and moke it.
breathe deep, the playa is the dust of your ancestors

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby Elorrum » Sat May 11, 2013 10:18 pm

What's the name of the act? The Aristocrats.
Elorrum

Postby Earthwalker » Sun May 12, 2013 2:07 am

Crypto, that should be the official wiki for dead horse beating
Earthwalker

Postby TomServo » Sun May 12, 2013 10:01 am

Elorrum wrote:Image

Is that a Condom?
anything worth doing..is worth overdoing

Vor Gebrauch Sprengkapsel einsetzen
TomServo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby TomServo » Sun May 12, 2013 10:15 am

I wasn't for this little side project originally, since I wanted to run our bar as strictly a Breakfast Bar. As more and more people joined or little group, there has been increased interest in running the bar more often. Which means, more alcohol. If you feel donating funds for said alcohol is un-Burnly, then donate some alcohol..or mixer..or not! We have enough, to realize my initial vision of BloodBath&Beyond. And aside from whatever contributions our camp members can muster, we'd like to make it as big as YOU would like to see it. Don't want to? Fine! We WILL Be a SPECTACLE, Regardless!

TomServo

Postby BBadger » Sun May 12, 2013 1:50 pm

Whatever you guys bring will be more than enough and will always be appreciated!

BBadger

Postby TomServo » Sun May 12, 2013 1:55 pm

I ran the bar at Roller Disco, for a few years, and I know how much it takes to stock a TINY playa bar for a week. We are nowhere near that. We will serve booze for breakfast...that is for sure. Anything else is still up in the air.

TomServo

Postby tamarakay » Wed May 15, 2013 6:52 pm

Ok. I keep coming back to this. I don't know why I can't just let it go, but I can't.

1. Lemur - you fucking rock. Your love of the playa and your devotion to the principles and stringent defense of burning man continues to impress and delight me. Do I think you are an asshole? Yes! Absolutely, and that is why I am proud to identify you as a compadre. You irritate the crap out of me but I think that's the intent. Do I care why? Nope.

2. Danielle, Leave me the fuck out of your battles.
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man Token

http://www.dyewithdignity.com
tamarakay

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity at BDC

Previous

Return to 2013 Support A Project