Five reasons to love ravers on the playa

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.

Re: Five reasons to love ravers on the playa

Postby Simon of the Playa » Mon May 06, 2013 5:45 pm

breathe deep, the playa is the dust of your ancestors

A gift for the Playa
User avatar
Simon of the Playa
 
Posts: 13861
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:25 pm
Location: Rochester, Nevada.
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Re: Five reasons to love ravers on the playa

Postby CornMan » Mon May 06, 2013 5:53 pm

A very fun thread. I've never wanted BM to become something that already exists in excess in the default world. The EDM scene on the the playa differs from the kiddie rave scene in defaultia in that people in their 40s, 50s, and 60s can take some kind of sensory supplement, dance their butts off to modern music alongside young ravers, and nobody bats an eyelash. It's all cool at Burning Man.
The camp with a difference
Never mind the weather
When you camp with Plug & Ply
Your holiday's forever
User avatar
CornMan
 
Posts: 882
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:40 pm

Re: Five reasons to love ravers on the playa

Postby unjonharley » Mon May 06, 2013 5:58 pm

CornMan wrote:A very fun thread. I've never wanted BM to become something that already exists in excess in the default world. The EDM scene on the the playa differs from the kiddie rave scene in defaultia in that people in their 40s, 50s, and 60s can take some kind of sensory supplement, dance their butts off to modern music alongside young ravers, and nobody bats an eyelash. It's all cool at Burning Man.



There is nothing sadder Than some old fuck trying to be cool at a rave..
User avatar
unjonharley
 
Posts: 8811
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2003 11:05 am
Location: Salem Or.

Re: Five reasons to love ravers on the playa

Postby CornMan » Mon May 06, 2013 6:01 pm

unjonharley wrote:
CornMan wrote:A very fun thread. I've never wanted BM to become something that already exists in excess in the default world. The EDM scene on the the playa differs from the kiddie rave scene in defaultia in that people in their 40s, 50s, and 60s can take some kind of sensory supplement, dance their butts off to modern music alongside young ravers, and nobody bats an eyelash. It's all cool at Burning Man.



There is nothing sadder Than some old fuck trying to be cool at a rave..


When the older person does not care a bit, then it is genuinely cool.
The camp with a difference
Never mind the weather
When you camp with Plug & Ply
Your holiday's forever
User avatar
CornMan
 
Posts: 882
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:40 pm

Re: Five reasons to love ravers on the playa

Postby CornMan » Mon May 06, 2013 6:03 pm

But yeah, it is extremely awkward for the older person being involved in any way at a kiddie rave in defaultia. That's a sucky situation. If the overarching goal of the kiddos at BM is to turn the whole thing into an awkward defaultesque rave, we old folks will need to go on prankster attack mode on them youngsters. That would make a really fun Hollywood movie with a reversal of roles. The old Burner protagonists against the young douche-bag raver villains like the slobs against the snobs in Caddy Shack. Everybody roots for the underdog.
The camp with a difference
Never mind the weather
When you camp with Plug & Ply
Your holiday's forever
User avatar
CornMan
 
Posts: 882
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:40 pm

Re: Five reasons to love ravers on the playa

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon May 06, 2013 6:53 pm

lemur wrote:
DrYes wrote: It's all plastic commercial bullshit until you get out onto the playa and hit Robot Heart at dawn or OT at 2 am.


oh no.

i predict burning man 2013 will be very plastic and commercial!

I'm beginning to think that I need to make some sort of Whiniest Camp trophy and parade it all around Black Rock City before giving it to Opukent Temple...
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
User avatar
theCryptofishist
 
Posts: 37439
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 10:28 am
Location: In Exile
Burning Since: 2017

Re: Five reasons to love ravers on the playa

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon May 06, 2013 6:57 pm

Turtleburp wrote:
maladroit wrote:Burners and Ravers are part of the same ecosystem. It's like reverse metamorphosis. They start as the pretty butterfly, flitting about with nothing to do and not a care in the world. Over time, they go into a cocoon and come out as a stodgy caterpillar, rummaging around in the dirt and eating constantly.


Thanks for that I feel so much better in my current podgy stodgy caterpillar shape knowing that it was my destiny - I was never a butterfly though at best a moth...

I was never even a moth. Some of us were never the beautiful people. Some of us had our youth blighted by major depression and general malaise. Fuck you for inventing a cute story that explains exactly nothing about me!
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
User avatar
theCryptofishist
 
Posts: 37439
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 10:28 am
Location: In Exile
Burning Since: 2017

Re: Five reasons to love ravers on the playa

Postby Token » Mon May 06, 2013 8:10 pm

It was way better when the rave was two miles down deep playa.

Nowadays I gather my posse of old fucks, bring chairs and make bleachers, then gawk at the hot-pants ass all over the place.

Image
User avatar
Token
 
Posts: 2302
Joined: Tue Sep 02, 2003 2:55 pm
Location: Gold Country, CA
Burning Since: 2001

Re: Five reasons to love ravers on the playa

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon May 06, 2013 9:05 pm

Maybe if I had a couple of pretty ravers dedicated to my use and happiness for the length of the burn....




no...


Unless I can use some sort of muzzle--so I don't have to hear the vapid talk. I'll let them out occasionally...
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
User avatar
theCryptofishist
 
Posts: 37439
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 10:28 am
Location: In Exile
Burning Since: 2017

Re: Five reasons to love ravers on the playa

Postby lemur » Mon May 06, 2013 9:07 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:
Unless I can use some sort of muzzle--so I don't have to hear the vapid talk. I'll let them out occasionally...


ravers come built in with their own muzzle:

Image
Don't link to anything here!
User avatar
lemur
 
Posts: 3599
Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:07 pm
Location: Madagascar
Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Re: Five reasons to love ravers on the playa

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon May 06, 2013 9:08 pm

But the aesthetics are all wrong...


*shudder*



I wouldn't want to keep that around, so much as bury it by the train tracks.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
User avatar
theCryptofishist
 
Posts: 37439
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 10:28 am
Location: In Exile
Burning Since: 2017

Re: Five reasons to love ravers on the playa

Postby Earthwalker » Tue May 07, 2013 12:20 am

I love edm, but I prefer so called "vocal trance" and typically prefer to listen alone. Not much of a dancer, but being I'm a high energy crowd can be fun regardless of music type. Never been to a rave. I love me some ya know ya know, and I get while people on it like to dress that way, but I agree, they loo like damn fools

Here's my thing...I feel like people try so hard to differentiate themselves, but most don't know how, so they go buy these costumes they think they're supposed to wear, and they just end up all looking alike in stupid ass mad max goggles and vest, our those lame fur boots

I like dressing practical and comfortable for whatever I'm doing. My uniqueness is displayed through my actions and attitude; not some tacky star wars costume

Plus, we're nowhere near as unique as we think. And if we'd all just embrace that there'd be way less hate in the world

Put that shit in your pipe and smoke it....bitch
Please forgive me...this cubicle has stolen portions of my mind and my soul
User avatar
Earthwalker
 
Posts: 312
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:16 pm
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Trifucta

Re: Five reasons to love ravers on the playa

Postby Simon of the Playa » Tue May 07, 2013 6:28 am

im an old fuck, and i can still shake my ass whenever i please.

do i care if the youngsters think i'm a "fossil"?



no.


i remind them that someday, they too, will get old, and that youth is really a state of mind.


and besides, i would rather deal with a bunch of kids on X, than a bunch of drunk yahoos....On X they say please, thank you, excuse me, i'm sorry.


drunk douchebags just puke and fight.


i'll take the rave kids, they are strangely, more civilized.
breathe deep, the playa is the dust of your ancestors

A gift for the Playa
User avatar
Simon of the Playa
 
Posts: 13861
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:25 pm
Location: Rochester, Nevada.
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Re: Five reasons to love ravers on the playa

Postby CornMan » Tue May 07, 2013 6:33 am

Image


Wouldn't an actual mouthguard work better? I used to have the kind you put in boiling water that form fitted to my teeth/mouth.

Image
The camp with a difference
Never mind the weather
When you camp with Plug & Ply
Your holiday's forever
User avatar
CornMan
 
Posts: 882
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:40 pm

Re: Five reasons to love ravers on the playa

Postby Simon of the Playa » Tue May 07, 2013 8:50 am

he's ALWAYS there....
Attachments
yes.jpg
yes.jpg (83.83 KiB) Viewed 4543 times
breathe deep, the playa is the dust of your ancestors

A gift for the Playa
User avatar
Simon of the Playa
 
Posts: 13861
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:25 pm
Location: Rochester, Nevada.
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Re: Five reasons to love ravers on the playa

Postby knowmad » Tue May 07, 2013 2:45 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:
lemur wrote:
DrYes wrote: It's all plastic commercial bullshit until you get out onto the playa and hit Robot Heart at dawn or OT at 2 am.


oh no.

i predict burning man 2013 will be very plastic and commercial!

I'm beginning to think that I need to make some sort of Whiniest Camp trophy and parade it all around Black Rock City before giving it to Opukent Temple...

Agreed!
OT setting the standard for Egos since 2002
............................................Image...........................................
Oh yeah, this year I was totally twerping out at the fence. ~Lonesombri
User avatar
knowmad
 
Posts: 3304
Joined: Fri Dec 25, 2009 11:33 pm
Location: Puget Sound
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: 09-11 Specialist Clan
12 BWS BDV/DPB

Re: Five reasons to love ravers on the playa

Postby unjonharley » Tue May 07, 2013 2:52 pm

Like!


we need a thumbs up/down emotioncon
User avatar
unjonharley
 
Posts: 8811
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2003 11:05 am
Location: Salem Or.

Re: Five reasons to love ravers on the playa

Postby Ano » Tue May 07, 2013 6:15 pm

Some of the most awesome burners I know are DJs and attendees of sound camps; Folks that do heavy-lifting, show up a week early to set up camps, stay two days late to tear down and clean up... and some of the worst burners I know have been attending for 15+ years and are the opposite of "raver..." Guy I camped next to my first year was a purposeful asshole, and I'm pretty sure he singlehandedly made a corner of the MOOP map red just on his own. I'm pretty sure he's the reason why some of the portos on my block weren't getting clean, either... but I digress.

It would suck for the burn to be EDCoachelliza-ized, but it won't happen, as long as there are assholes with megaphones, DPW, snark, and more, to keep the sparklepony hordes down. Sure, there might be a flood after a good weather year, but, it costs a lot of money to get to Burning Man, whereas a weekend at EDChella can be pretty damn cheap. I used to fear those crowds, seeing as I am friends with plenty of folk from those crowds, and sure, they always talk about wanting to hit up ye ol Burnin' Man, but... Luckily, ye ol' Burnin' Man is after the summer festival season is over, which leeches a large amount of money from those folks... and those that are left over, I dare say, tend to be pretty awesome folk when all is said and done. Also, despite how easy it is to get totally lost in a week of "raving," whatever that may be, the 10 and 2 oclock sides of the city are but a minority, and while the party busses may be loud... they, too, are a minority, it seems.

So what if other folks enjoy this big weird event in a different way from you or I? I originally thought I'd spend my week dancing in the desert, and now I'm getting into building big art and weird quadricycles for the hell of it.

It's really easy to blame someone else for ruining whatever the hell this party is, but, it seems to have a long way to go before it gets stale.

Just my two cents.
Ano
 
Posts: 214
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:04 pm
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: ???

Re: Five reasons to love ravers on the playa

Postby clocksnmirrors » Tue May 07, 2013 6:16 pm

last year i proposed marriage to a dj

he laughed
WEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeee heee heee heeeee! *burp*
User avatar
clocksnmirrors
 
Posts: 1127
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:20 pm
Location: Arizona
Burning Since: 2012

Re: Five reasons to love ravers on the playa

Postby H.G.Crosby » Thu May 09, 2013 12:18 pm

it's all about the Art & Beer...
Attachments
Burning-Man-fixed-thumbnail.jpg
Burning-Man-fixed-thumbnail.jpg (115.47 KiB) Viewed 4448 times
Once I noticed I was on fire, I decided to relax and enjoy the fall™
User avatar
H.G.Crosby
 
Posts: 1669
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2009 4:47 pm
Location: Boston, New York, Paris, Tangiers

Re: Five reasons to love ravers on the playa

Postby unjonharley » Thu May 09, 2013 12:46 pm

Art don't look anything like that.. He's a long haired freaky hippie
User avatar
unjonharley
 
Posts: 8811
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2003 11:05 am
Location: Salem Or.

Re: Five reasons to love ravers on the playa

Postby ranger magnum » Tue May 14, 2013 10:25 pm

DrYes wrote:I turned 40 this year, and I like to rave at Burning Man. You'll often find my wife and I, dressed in full-blown raver gear (with a playa accent, of course) going until dawn. It's the only time of the year I party like that. I don't go to clubs at home. I don't go to EDM festivals. I've seen Skrillex and a couple other modern EDM acts at Bay Area venues, but most of my club-going days were when trance was king in the EDM world, back in the 90s.

Fuck me though, I love Burning Man. There is nothing like dancing in the desert. The most epic indoor club in the world pales in comparison to the point that I can't go to indoor clubs anymore except ironically, which is to say essentially never. It's all plastic commercial bullshit until you get out onto the playa and hit Robot Heart at dawn or OT at 2 am.

I realize many of the eplaya residents dislike the raver culture out there, not all of us/most of us are the "Brochella" types. I also don't identify with 'raver' culture (something to do with being 40 maybe, I dunno). I just love the energy of EDM out there. Burning Man re-awakened a gut-level appreciation of music for me that I think I'd been missing. I love EDM. I think it's the best stuff in the genre are helping to define what popular music is to a new generation of human beings.


Exactly! Im in the same category. Ive been to EDC twice, the last time was 09 in LA. Never again. The girl and I dont go to any clubs, or other festivals, as everything else is, well, boring. That week in the desert gives us the opportunity to let loose.
Drugs may take you down the road to nowhere, but at least its the scenic route.
ranger magnum
 
Posts: 409
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:05 pm
Location: santa barbara
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: Camp Yonder/Ottoman Empire

Re: Five reasons to love ravers on the playa

Postby DrYes » Tue May 14, 2013 10:45 pm

ranger magnum wrote:
DrYes wrote:I turned 40 this year, and I like to rave at Burning Man. You'll often find my wife and I, dressed in full-blown raver gear (with a playa accent, of course) going until dawn. It's the only time of the year I party like that. I don't go to clubs at home. I don't go to EDM festivals. I've seen Skrillex and a couple other modern EDM acts at Bay Area venues, but most of my club-going days were when trance was king in the EDM world, back in the 90s.

Fuck me though, I love Burning Man. There is nothing like dancing in the desert. The most epic indoor club in the world pales in comparison to the point that I can't go to indoor clubs anymore except ironically, which is to say essentially never. It's all plastic commercial bullshit until you get out onto the playa and hit Robot Heart at dawn or OT at 2 am.

I realize many of the eplaya residents dislike the raver culture out there, not all of us/most of us are the "Brochella" types. I also don't identify with 'raver' culture (something to do with being 40 maybe, I dunno). I just love the energy of EDM out there. Burning Man re-awakened a gut-level appreciation of music for me that I think I'd been missing. I love EDM. I think it's the best stuff in the genre are helping to define what popular music is to a new generation of human beings.


Exactly! Im in the same category. Ive been to EDC twice, the last time was 09 in LA. Never again. The girl and I dont go to any clubs, or other festivals, as everything else is, well, boring. That week in the desert gives us the opportunity to let loose.


Sweet. :)

We talked about going to EDC this year (never been) but I suspect we'll never get around to going. Partying on the Las Vegas speedway vs traveling somewhere actually interesting is a tough sell, especially when I know that I'll be dancing in the desert come late August. It's amazing how much pleasure I get out of the memories of that single week of playa EDM goodness.
Burning Man 2013 video || Burning Man 2013 photos
Burning Man 2012 video
Burning Man 2011 video

"We'll never leave, look at us now, so in love with the way we are."
User avatar
DrYes
 
Posts: 226
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:22 pm
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Camp Tasty Bits (w/ the Stimulus Tree)

Re: Five reasons to love ravers on the playa

Postby Simon of the Playa » Wed May 15, 2013 6:06 am

i have to admit, BM is the ONLY place where the median age of the ravers is 37.
breathe deep, the playa is the dust of your ancestors

A gift for the Playa
User avatar
Simon of the Playa
 
Posts: 13861
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:25 pm
Location: Rochester, Nevada.
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Re: Five reasons to love ravers on the playa

Postby ranger magnum » Wed May 15, 2013 5:04 pm

I dont miss it. There were a few dj's that I really enjoyed hearing, but truthfully, I'll just download their shit off itunes, and enjoy it while I'm working in the shop.

There is nothing unique about the patrons of edc. Everyone is wearing pretty much the same shit, looking and acting like they think they are supposed to. I dont mind the eye candy, but the attitude is off putting.

In an odd way, the playa seems normal compared to edc. Edc seems "forced" whereas brc seems natural.
Drugs may take you down the road to nowhere, but at least its the scenic route.
ranger magnum
 
Posts: 409
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:05 pm
Location: santa barbara
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: Camp Yonder/Ottoman Empire

Re: Five reasons to love ravers on the playa

Postby bluesbob » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:30 pm

When your art car gets stuck in a dune, 2 or 3 under the wheels will help get you out.
"aw shucks.." - Eric
bluesbob
 
Posts: 591
Joined: Sat May 22, 2010 2:32 pm
Location: Fullerton, CA.
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: AV

Re: Five reasons to love ravers on the playa

Postby duffdog » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:55 pm

I for one find "ravers" refreshing. I am one. I don't mind the culture at all. What does bother me at burning man is the huge amount of older men who build art cars with only 2 seats explicitly with the intention of waiting outside of a "rave" for a young girl who may or may not be under the influence of drugs and offer her a "ride home." I see that every year and it is just about the most depressing thing I can think of.

Being a raver male has advantages...1: ravers bring all the cute athletic girls with them. Most of the women you single, fat, boring guys (and females) think are hot are only there because a male raver brought them. 2: ravers are absolutely more helpful with regards to setting up events/ stages etc. Considering the dancing most ravers do, running consecutive 6 minute miles in a 105 degree desert is easy. Most fatasses I see on the playa can barely walk in the desert, let alone lift a finger to do anything. Many of my raving friends have already set up the sound system, rebuilt the transmission in your car while you weren't looking and cooked dinner for 80 people just so that they won't miss the party.

In short, ravers are incredibly motivated. They (and me) would rather carry 25,000lbs of speakers out of a trailer and set them up for a really good party than sit around lamenting all the party people and find something, anything, negative to say about them.

But its ok. I'm sure that you guys can find something wrong with the 10 hot young girls who are coming with me this year. Maybe there is also going to be something wrong with our stage, our sound, my hair, the sun, people in general, bacon, art cars, kids on your lawn...etc
Purveyor of Fine 'Soul Crushing Bass'
duffdog
 
Posts: 45
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:24 pm

Re: Five reasons to love ravers on the playa

Postby lucky420 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:07 am

duffdog wrote:I for one find "ravers" refreshing. I am one. I don't mind the culture at all. What does bother me at burning man is the huge amount of older men who build art cars with only 2 seats explicitly with the intention of waiting outside of a "rave" for a young girl who may or may not be under the influence of drugs and offer her a "ride home." I see that every year and it is just about the most depressing thing I can think of.

Being a raver male has advantages...1: ravers bring all the cute athletic girls with them. Most of the women you single, fat, boring guys (and females) think are hot are only there because a male raver brought them. 2: ravers are absolutely more helpful with regards to setting up events/ stages etc. Considering the dancing most ravers do, running consecutive 6 minute miles in a 105 degree desert is easy. Most fatasses I see on the playa can barely walk in the desert, let alone lift a finger to do anything. Many of my raving friends have already set up the sound system, rebuilt the transmission in your car while you weren't looking and cooked dinner for 80 people just so that they won't miss the party.

In short, ravers are incredibly motivated. They (and me) would rather carry 25,000lbs of speakers out of a trailer and set them up for a really good party than sit around lamenting all the party people and find something, anything, negative to say about them.

But its ok. I'm sure that you guys can find something wrong with the 10 hot young girls who are coming with me this year. Maybe there is also going to be something wrong with our stage, our sound, my hair, the sun, people in general, bacon, art cars, kids on your lawn...etc



Bwahahaha fuck yer day! Really
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
User avatar
lucky420
 
Posts: 4181
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:47 am
Location: Reno, NV
Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Re: Five reasons to love ravers on the playa

Postby graidawg » Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:16 am

You know. All these people saying ravers are young etc can go fuck themselves. i go raving and am far from the oldest person there. I would say the average age for raves is late 20's many of the ravers i know are 35+

you want energy? go raving without chemical supplements, i see the 18 year olds flaking out and going home at 4am while the 40+ are dancing when the light come on and security are asking them to leave, get to the afterparty and the 40 year olds are still bouncing while the sparkleponies are trying score some chemical supplements

so don't give me the young pretty things are what raving is all about because they aren't able to do it without the pills. when i was 18 it was booze and enthusiasm kept us dancing
completely unconcerned.
"Savannah" I like it . . . it makes us sound forward-thinking, and not at all like trailblazing, professional-level procrastinors.
the rest of us are in the School of Fukkit. "Eric"
User avatar
graidawg
 
Posts: 2948
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:50 am
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dread Pirate barbie

Re: Five reasons to love ravers on the playa

Postby Dr. Pyro » Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:44 am

duffdog wrote: older men who build art cars with only 2 seats explicitly with the intention of waiting outside of a "rave" for a young girl who may or may not be under the influence of drugs and offer her a "ride home."

Say, that's a pretty good idea!
User avatar
Dr. Pyro
 
Posts: 3672
Joined: Tue Sep 02, 2003 8:11 am
Location: Newcastle, CA
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

PreviousNext

Return to Politics & Philosophy

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests