Testing a Monkey Hut - Fail

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

Re: Testing a Monkey Hut - Fail

Postby tamarakay » Mon May 06, 2013 1:15 pm

International Incident wrote:
International Incident wrote: "snip" we will be able to settle the age old argument of which is better!

I was thinking of turning it into a "What, Where, When" event. You know. Just because.

Elorrum wrote:Some mysteries, well, they get answered without much fanfare.

I just want to get a bunch of people who cannot agree on much of anything to stand under shade and disagree strongly while all drinking beer.

Isn't that the Meet and Greet?
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man Token

http://www.dyewithdignity.com
tamarakay

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity at BDC

Postby Dr. Pyro » Mon May 06, 2013 1:17 pm

It certainly would be true if we were drinking absinthe.
Dr. Pyro

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby MegsLegs » Mon May 06, 2013 1:19 pm

Thanks Drawingablank!

I'll plan for this then, and test here before I leave, worst case scenario it falls down, and I'll be no worse off than usual :)
MegsLegs

Postby Earthwalker » Mon May 06, 2013 2:45 pm

I trust you MDF. I've seen your MH (VERY nice!); you're super friendly; infectious positivity; and you gave me great advice on personal care. I just have fears with the aluminet. I feel like I could use the tarp for other applications. And there seem to be a ton of people who use them with no issues.

What % aluminet do you get? My MH will be 20ft X 30ft. Looking at this version (below) I'd need to get a custom one and it would cost me well over $200. That seems a bit crazy.

http://www.shadeclothstore.com/products ... cloth.html
Please forgive me...this cubicle has stolen portions of my mind and my soul
Earthwalker

Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Trifucta

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon May 06, 2013 6:41 pm

International Incident wrote: "snip" we will be able to settle the age old argument of which is better!

International Incident wrote:I was thinking of turning it into a "What, Where, When" event. You know. Just because.

Elorrum wrote:Some mysteries, well, they get answered without much fanfare.

International Incident wrote:I just want to get a bunch of people who cannot agree on much of anything to stand under shade and disagree strongly while all drinking beer.

tamarakay wrote:Isn't that the Meet and Greet?

Not if we are testing shade. By 6 o'clock it doesn't matter any more. This needs to happen at 2 pm. Since I'm close, I may attend.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby MyDearFriend » Tue May 07, 2013 8:15 pm

MyDearFriend wrote:
I disgaree. have a 25 foot hut, aluminet-covered, I never guy it and I never have a problem with it. The aluminet will occasionally "breathe" i.e. lift away from the PVC in a hard wind and then settle back, but, the frame stays put.

Hey MDF, but you do guy it - you run ropes from the front and back to the ground, and you also run the rope across the bottom and that is guyed down as well. Or am I imagining things? :?

Nope, no guy lines, just the rope along the bottom sides attaching the cover to the legs. I use extra 4 ft bungees along the inside (attached to the eyebolts in my leg section connectors, 5 feet up) but mostly for clotheslines. 8) AH HA!!! I remember now guying the boyz's huts last year on the side that faced into that heavy wind along the road. Yes. But if we'd had room to turn them away from that wind I would not have needed to do that. :evil:

Earthwalker, I have 70% shade aluminet, and use a standard width (18 ft) since it's better NOT to come all the way to the ground if you want less dust inside. Trust me on that; let it blow through rather than settle in drifts. Since the aluminet is stretchy, you need less than your length, so, for a 30 foot hut I would buy 28 feet off an 18 foot roll, and trim to fit. I made the mistake of buying 25 feet off a 21 foot-wide roll for my 25 foot hut and wound up cutting about 3 feet off the length AND the width. Huge waste. :( For the 15 foot long huts I ordered 14 feet x 18: fit great.

For 30 ft you'll need at least 75 shark-bite grommets, ditto 6" bungee balls...

MegsLegs, cutting the MH legs into 5 foot sections and connecting them with sleeves makes them stronger. 8)

Int Inc, you know when I get to drinking under shade in the afternoon I agree with everything. 8)
Practice Love. Exercise Sex.

"When life seems dangerous and unmanageable, just remember that it is, and that you can't survive forever."
MyDearFriend

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp DREAD PIRATE BARBIE

Postby Savannah » Tue May 07, 2013 9:25 pm

MyDearFriend wrote:Int Inc, you know when I get to drinking under shade in the afternoon I agree with everything. 8)

*takes careful notes*
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby Frizzboom » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:36 pm

Off topic... but I swear if I don't meet a bunch of you from this forum out on the dust this summer I am gonna be pissed. Now back to your regularly scheduled topic.
What does not kill me makes for great campfire stories.
Be Good,
Frizzboom Dinkdoodle
Frizzboom

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Suggestions?

Postby BBadger » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:11 pm

Just remember with your MH that it's meant to buckle and bend, and that it also depends on allowing airflow through it. Without that airflow (say you block up one end), it may get picked up.

If you're not using a "breathing" shade cloth like MDF is using, but instead just a tarp, you may consider guylining the ends down in front of the entrances just to keep those sides from flying upwards in some freak occurrence. I wouldn't worry about the sides though, as the MH ought to bend enough to accept the wind shock, and the wind will also push the MH downwards from the side, not up. With those guylines on the entrances, it shouldn't pop up at all.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby FIGJAM » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:42 pm

Frizzboom wrote:Off topic... but I swear if I don't meet a bunch of you from this forum out on the dust this summer I am gonna be pissed. Now back to your regularly scheduled topic.

The meet & greet is your only hope!

Other than that we don't exist. 8)
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby International Incident » Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:56 am

FIGJAM wrote:
Frizzboom wrote:Off topic... but I swear if I don't meet a bunch of you from this forum out on the dust this summer I am gonna be pissed. Now back to your regularly scheduled topic.

The meet & greet is your only hope!

Other than that we don't exist. 8)

Wednesday night. Barbie death camp. That's the hot ticket for meeting all us fuckos. There's a thread in the theme camp page. Swing by that and say g'day.
International Incident

Camp Name: P6 - a Barbie Death Village production

Postby Martiansky » Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:15 pm

Whats better for attaching the covering to the frame....bungeeballs or zipties?
So the theme this year is like a giant camp out in the desert? With people bringing lots of shit from all over? uh.. -Marscrumbs
Martiansky

Burning Since: 2005

Postby FIGJAM » Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:34 pm

Bungee balls, zip ties can snap and be moopy. 8)

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby Sic Pup » Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:42 pm

Speaking of which, imagine my surprise when I saw several different sizes/styles of bungees in my local soul-stealing big box behemoth along with these cool looking cord tightening contraptions (also at least two different kinds).
"Enjoy every sandwich" - W. Zevon
Sic Pup

Postby silkkat813 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:40 am

Lots of great ideas. Can someone with an artcar give a tour of all the monkey huts listed on here for comparison? :)

I have used a tarp last 3 years for my monkey huts.
1st was sharing with a friend that he built. The tarp reached the ground on both sides. We had no problems.
2nd year I used my friend's PVC (he decided on carport) but I bought tarp that wasn't big enough. So I had about a foot open at bottom on both sides. It still provided nice shade. It wasn't as dusty that year.
3rd year (last year) I had a tarp that was too big (12x20 when my PVC was cut for 10x20). I tried to pull it around the poles with bungee cords. But without it being tight, it almost went flying away. I was camped on A and was on C at medical, (Thurs before gates open therefore no other structures around to block the wind or my view), and saw my MH with one side in the air and the other, thankfully, holding on to the rebar. I bolted across the two blocks to jump in the air and grab on the bungee cords to pull it down. (I must say I was irritated at the 3 neighbors at a nearby camp sitting in their chairs watching the whole scene.) I pounded more rebar outside of the MH at an angle to bungee the tarp to them. I duct taped my MH to the poles and the poles to the rebar. I think I used up a whole roll of duct tape keeping that thing together. It flapped a lot so I had to add cuts to it to let in air. It looked pretty beatend by the end of the week.

So my advice, if going with tarp, make sure it is not too big! I have my PVCs in storage in Reno so I only need to get more cover this year. Undecided if I will get tarp again (RIGHT SIZE) or go with shade cloth. There seems to be some good choices here:
http://www.shadeclothstore.com/products ... cloth.html
*taking the long way HOME*
silkkat813

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Rising Arms Pub

Postby winebuff » Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:41 pm

Is it a good or bad idea to cover the end of a monkey hut to enclose it? Wind flow a problem or is it ok? Thanks
winebuff

Burning Since: 2010

Postby Drawingablank » Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:46 pm

winebuff wrote:Is it a good or bad idea to cover the end of a monkey hut to enclose it? Wind flow a problem or is it ok? Thanks

IMHO - generally a better idea to leave the ends open , better breeze through it for cooling - and it looks like this year will be a hot one.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide
Drawingablank

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby winebuff » Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:43 pm

Perfect. Thx. Hot this year huh? Praying for 75 and calm ha ha :D

Drawingablank wrote:
winebuff wrote:Is it a good or bad idea to cover the end of a monkey hut to enclose it? Wind flow a problem or is it ok? Thanks

IMHO - generally a better idea to leave the ends open , better breeze through it for cooling - and it looks like this year will be a hot one.
winebuff

Postby BBadger » Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:38 am

If you enclose your monkeyhut it will trap heat, essentially defeating the purpose of the monkeyhut.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Postby Noboundaries » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:11 am

I told this story in more detail on another thread.

I redesigned the MH to fit my transportation and height needs. I had no piece longer than 6 feet. I also added two additional cross ribs to increase the structural integrity. We connected rib each section with a 10" sleeve. The 2 1/2 foot sleeve {30"} on the top of the original one cross rib design gives basically the same lateral integrity as three 10" sleeves on a three cross rib design. (See below).

We tested the MH on the empty playa in early July last year. In 50+ MPH winds the tarp anchors failed when hit by an oblique (angled) wind. The flopping tarp lifted three long ribs on one side off the rebar anchors, collapsing the MH. It was a typical "cascade-type" failure due to the failure of one component. The structure was absolutely fine until the tarp anchors failed.

We changed the rib anchors to 5/8" rebar and changed our tarp anchor system, anchoring each tarp hole instead of looping two holes to one anchor. We also anchored the two outer most ribs on each end to the ground by threading a rope around each rib and anchoring it to the ground.

We had absolutely no problems at BM due to the changes, using vehicles to block the wind, and less wind actually at last year's event.

Below is a picture of what can happen to 1/2" rebar when a Monkey Hut fails in 50+MPH winds.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
You are always smaller than anything that upsets you. Remain calm and solutions with boundless possibility will find your heart.
Noboundaries

Postby winebuff » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:54 am

So awesome people share all this knowledge, fails and triumphs with us. Love it. Crazy what we do to get prepared for the desert. Thx for the all the great info below!

Noboundaries wrote:I told this story in more detail on another thread.

I redesigned the MH to fit my transportation and height needs. I had no piece longer than 6 feet. I also added two additional cross ribs to increase the structural integrity. We connected rib each section with a 10" sleeve. The 2 1/2 foot sleeve {30"} on the top of the original one cross rib design gives basically the same lateral integrity as three 10" sleeves on a three cross rib design. (See below).

We tested the MH on the empty playa in early July last year. In 50+ MPH winds the tarp anchors failed when hit by an oblique (angled) wind. The flopping tarp lifted three long ribs on one side off the rebar anchors, collapsing the MH. It was a typical "cascade-type" failure due to the failure of one component. The structure was absolutely fine until the tarp anchors failed.

We changed the rib anchors to 5/8" rebar and changed our tarp anchor system, anchoring each tarp hole instead of looping two holes to one anchor. We also anchored the two outer most ribs on each end to the ground by threading a rope around each rib and anchoring it to the ground.

We had absolutely no problems at BM due to the changes, using vehicles to block the wind, and less wind actually at last year's event.

Below is a picture of what can happen to 1/2" rebar when a Monkey Hut fails in 50+MPH winds.
winebuff

Postby Noboundaries » Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:49 pm

winebuff wrote:So awesome people share all this knowledge, fails and triumphs with us. Love it. Crazy what we do to get prepared for the desert. Thx for the all the great info below!

You're welcome WB! We won't make it this year but I just put your name on a bottle of family co-op Old Vine Zinfandel for next year!

Below is what happened to the Sch 40 PVC in the collapse. Had to replace several of the 6 foot long rib anchors. You can see how a few of them were bent useless by the wind collapse. The one sticking out 90 degrees is kinked like a waterhose! I've been unable to duplicate that level of failure with a vice and work bench!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
You are always smaller than anything that upsets you. Remain calm and solutions with boundless possibility will find your heart.
Noboundaries

Postby MyDearFriend » Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:10 am

Noboundaries wrote:I told this story in more detail on another thread.

This illustrates the huge disadvantage of using a solid tarp on a Monkey Hut, and trying to make it hold rigidly still.

The flexibility of a loose PVC frame and the wind-permeability of aluminet add quite a bit to the integrity. Aluminet will not start "flopping," since it does not trap air; it will breathe, rather, expanding as wind hits and then contracting as air spills through the holes in the knitted fabric. Harder wind stretches bigger holes which spill air faster. It will not hold enough wind to bend rebar.

And if you leave your PVC loose enough to come apart before it breaks, you can, if need be, put it right back up once the storm has passed.
Practice Love. Exercise Sex.

"When life seems dangerous and unmanageable, just remember that it is, and that you can't survive forever."
MyDearFriend

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp DREAD PIRATE BARBIE

Postby Frizzboom » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:18 pm

I have done some quick practice set ups to train our fellow campers how to set up the MH, Fail fail fail. so I built a jig for the rebar, this is version 3 and BAM works every time.
What does not kill me makes for great campfire stories.
Be Good,
Frizzboom Dinkdoodle
Frizzboom

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Suggestions?

Postby ConnieH » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:15 am

Would using 5 foot lengths of 3/4" pvc with 2 foot long 1"pvc sleeves for the ribs, covered with shade cloth be a fail? Maybe do 3 spines of the 3/4" pvc instead of just one to give it more stability?

I have access to about 15 pieces of 20' long 3/4" schedule 40 pvc for free, but don't want my hut to come crashing down for the sake of saving a few bucks. Has anyone experimented with 3/4"?
ConnieH

Postby FIGJAM » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:45 am

(Waves enthusiastically) Hi ConnieH!!!!! 8)

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby lucky420 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:06 am

We put one of our Monkey Huts up about 3-4 weeks ago in the backyard. It's still up. Going to leave it up when our guests with ea passes come through reno the week before burn week.

it's just so damn relaxing to go out there and kick back on the chaise lounge and sleep, I mean read.
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby ConnieH » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:52 pm

Hi Figgy!! Come find me at Marvin (Idaho CORE) and say hello :)

Staying on topic, hehe...We are repurposing our old Aluminet monkey hut for our bar structure this year, so I need to build another for our hexayurt front porch shade - the 3/4" pvc seems a little weak, but thought possibly someone in here has tried it already. I guess I'll just try it out in the backyard this week and report in if it was a fail or not...
ConnieH

Postby Martiansky » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:37 pm

Frizzboom, do you use the jig on your monkeyhut somewhere or is it only a jig?
So the theme this year is like a giant camp out in the desert? With people bringing lots of shit from all over? uh.. -Marscrumbs
Martiansky

Burning Since: 2005

Postby socks » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:07 pm

This is the way I have found to be almost fool proof on laying out a monkey hut. Put down your first stake and run a tape measure
across 12 feet and put down your other stake. Now put together your spine of your monkey hut to use a as template. Line up the first spine with your first stake and put down your stakes. Pick it up and do the same on the other side. Its real time saver
An unintelligible passionate yearning drove them out into the desert
T.E. Lawrence
socks

PreviousNext

Return to Shelter & Camping