First-Timers from Wyoming

Re: First-Timers from Wyoming

Postby tink08 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:31 pm

I'm in Denver and our camp was planning on having a virgin meeting some time in June or July for all of our newbies. If you want some face time and some advice with other burners and are willing to make the trip (it's about an hour and a half drive or so) you are more than welcome to join. Lemme know!
If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving is NOT for you!
tink08

Burning Since: 2008

Postby KeithT » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:06 pm

Will keep it in mind... Not looking to join a camp really but wouldn't mind talking to people if we can make it... Let me know when you have a firm date.
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!
KeithT

Burning Since: 2013

Postby tink08 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:21 pm

I'll keep you posted for sure! I understand how helpful face to face time is
tink08

Postby illy dilly » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:11 am

Woo HOOO! Denver Burners!!!!!!
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby tink08 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:14 pm

illy dilly wrote:Woo HOOO! Denver Burners!!!!!!

Hi there fellow Denver burner! I'm always down to hang out with other close burners... Maybe we should get together some time?
tink08

Postby illy dilly » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:08 am

tink08 wrote:
illy dilly wrote:Woo HOOO! Denver Burners!!!!!!

Hi there fellow Denver burner! I'm always down to hang out with other close burners... Maybe we should get together some time?

Lets try!
Sadly, spare time is always in a shortage.
Are you going to Apo?
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Postby tink08 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:07 pm

Never been actually. I've always been worried that I'll want it to be Burning Man and get there just to find another rave... Is that the case?
tink08

Postby illy dilly » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:35 am

tink08 wrote:Never been actually. I've always been worried that I'll want it to be Burning Man and get there just to find another rave... Is that the case?

No idea. :P
This will be my first Apo. Though, its mountain camping- so the way I figure, maybe at night it is a big rave, but during the day its gonna be mountain camping with Burners. AKA fricken Awesome!!!!!
My understanding is that the Apo theme camp placement and Art Grant folks do a pretty good job making sure it doesn't turn out like that. Give more money to actual art and theme camps than Large Sound camps, and really only give Sound Camps placement but no assistance. Or, at least thats what some friends tell me, so it is what it is.

We've been invited to camp with The Living Room. Which is a theme camp that puts together a living room in the woods. 4 walls, no ceiling- so you can see the stars, and fully decked out like your grandma's living room. One of the organizers is a fella names Miles, who I first met during exodus, then later here on eplaya. He doesn't post here a whole lot anymore. Maybe I can get him to post something.
illy dilly

Postby KeithT » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:56 am

Tink-
I guess I should have asked to start with, were you talking about a camp or people that just get together?

The only reason we're not interested in a camp right now is that, being this is our first burn, we're not ready to commit to to what some require, not to mention the fees. We are just trying to keep it simple and keep ourselves open to the experience this time. Maybe after we've been a couple times we'll be ready for something like that.

Now I've seen people mention "villages," which if I understand right, is people just kinda camping together with no commitment to the collective (just helping out where we can) and no fees. Something like that I may be interested in. If anything just to have people near by to be kind of familiar with ahead of time and to hang out here and there.
KeithT

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:09 pm

A village is a collection of camps.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby dragonpilot » Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:36 pm

There is no perfect place to camp at the event...it's all perfect!
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.
dragonpilot

Burning Since: 2005

Postby tink08 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:43 pm

Keith- I understand completely about not wanting to join a camp right away and ours does have fees. I was just offering you to join our virgin meeting. We're going to go over the rules of Burning Man and what they mean to you. Also give tips on what to bring and kinda what to expect. And obviously those of us who have been before will be available to answer any questions. If that's something that interests you (and again if you're willing to make the drive) you and your wife are more than welcome!
Last edited by tink08 on Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tink08

Postby tink08 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:46 pm

Illy dilly - wow! I've never really heard anyone talk about it that made me want to go... Now I kinda do! Probably not going to be able to afford it this year, but maybe next year. You'll have to let me know when you get back how it turned out
tink08

Postby AntiM » Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:10 am

Which half of Wyoming? There's also the Utah burn, Element 11, in July. Kinda ravey, but they're getting better at not making Big Sound the main attraction.

http://element11.org/

We're down in Ogden. You just missed our spring equinox freeze your ass off camping and live music event.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby KeithT » Sun May 05, 2013 10:30 am

Well, I unfortunately put my tickets into STEP this morning. We've had to shift some priorities this year and things are just not lining up for us to go. :(
I'm not sure 2014 is going to be our year either, so we'll look ahead to 2015 with hope. I'll see you all there eventually and will probably keep lurking here obsessively... I will make it one day.
KeithT

Postby Savannah » Mon May 06, 2013 9:23 am

Darn it, Keith. I'm sorry to hear this won't be your year.

Well--getting that first Burn to fit into one's life is quite a challenge. A lot of folks can't make it the first time they genuinely hope to go.

At least you have a head start on the knowledge you need for 2014 or 2015, and you've made someone in STEP really, really happy.
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby illy dilly » Tue May 14, 2013 12:21 pm

Hey Keith, have you considered hitting up one of the smaller regionals?
Its a little late this year for Apo in Bailey, CO. But, Element-11 in Utah is in July, I believe.
illy dilly

Postby some seeing eye » Tue May 21, 2013 9:57 pm

Welcome!
I too was once costume impaired. Don't overlook the various costume camps who will style you. Consider bringing special Midwest thrift store items to wear-donate. Long faux fur coats and ironic hats are useful. If flying, Doc Pyro's hotel deal ingoing and outbound in Reno is popular.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion
some seeing eye

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Postby susieclue » Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:11 am

Hi Keith and Wife

Susieclue here from the Black Rock Fun Jet Camp. Always fun/slightly twisted. It seems that you're not newbies at camping, only newbies to the high desert winds and to the extreme BurningMan environment. You over-analyze, you say. And you're most comfortable in street wear. The last one who said that to us, a gravel voiced retired type from jersey, "Uncle Joe" was wearing a dress by the end of his week with us. And he looked marvelous! in lingerie.

Whatever you're expecting, Burningman will be different from even your wildest dreams. My suggestion is that you and your wife join an established themecamp for your first time out. Go experience the wheel, then reinvent it in year 2 once you have a better idea what your purpose on the desert could be. In a themecamp such as ours, people come to you - which really helps with the shyness factor. We run a travel agency that takes folks on world wide vacations within our themecamp and their imaginations. You act as both the desk agent and the tour guide for most of the adventures. Just watch us and you'll be a snotty parisian waiter in a beret in no time, serving wine to a couple at a cafe table in front of the eiffel tower! Or helping travelers rummage through the pirate's treasure chest for booty. Watch out for the inflatable animals in the Jungle! Emerson the elephant is the star attraction at 7' tall but everyone always tries to ride (or hump) the Zebra. Our Rhino is back this year, ready to poke his nose in where it doesn't belong. More comfortable with Zen? Walk the labrynth of Memory Lane and listen to the stories. Have psychotic urges or need serious downtime? Visit Bedlam Hospital in England. Want to encourage art? The inner city is set up for grafitti. And photography you say? We take group photos where the participants can see themselves on line after the event. And then there's the wedding, feast, and reception we're hosting this year for the brit and the monkey (Monkey Pot Pie did voice-overs before he left Wisconsin to be with the girl of his dreams - and yes, they met in camp several years ago.) We'll actually have two Voices in camp this year and it will be fun. Now if the Irish only show up...

You're newbies, you're virgins, you have creative streaks that need revving and it's your year, it seems, for leaping into the unknown.

I'm about to make you very uncomfortable.

Come join us this year. Leave the planning to others and take a leap of faith into this unknown world, nekkid with your clothes on. Concentrate on your journey, not on the pots and pans of shelter and survival.

We are real, we are good people, and we can assist you in your transformations. If interested, let us know.

Susieclue
susieclue

Postby 9ah » Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:55 am

Hey Susieclue... How big are you guys trying to make your camp this year? Your posts seem a bit deja vu-ey... Maybe you can try posting in the theme camps thread?

http://eplaya.burningman.com/viewforum.php?f=323
Illuminate. Navigate. Celebrate.
What would you do if you knew you couldn't fail?
9ah

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: Lamplighters

Postby jkisha » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:49 pm

Hey susieclue, how much are the camp dues?
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby bluesbob » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:40 pm

We spend too much of our lives doing what we think other people will approve of, instead of what we want to do.
"aw shucks.." - Eric
bluesbob

Camp Name: AV

Postby 171/348 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:39 pm

Sorry to hear you won't be able to attend. Still going to post what I'd been thinking as I read through here.
KeithT wrote:This is going to be a huge experiment for, we are normally the quiet, reserved types, geeks to the core though. We would both be perfectly content sitting there watching people go by, but I want to make it more than that. Heck, we have problems even dressing up for Halloween! Fear of what people may think. I've had that fear for a long time, so much so I feel like I've almost lost who I am.

I am always reminded of this response to the how did the first timers like it and specifically this part

"It wasn’t until I was in my hometown that I’d realized how I’d been changed. Whatever real or imagined barrier of fear between myself and strangers, that thing that keeps me from making eye contact and smiling with whoever walks by, the thing that holds me back from sharing my joy with fellow shoppers at how tasty that sample of fresh apple at the grocery store is, that thing that keeps me automatically saying “I’m fine thanks” when asked how I’m doing instead of sharing my truth, that thing that really isn’t useful to me or anyone else – it’s smaller now, and has less power over me."

Yup. It's like that.
Or not, YMMV.
Oh...And what BluesBob said.
171/348

Burning Since: 2012

Previous

Return to Introduce Yourself!