TRYNA MAKE PLANS; virgin burner heelppp

Materials, expertise and rides...whether you need them or have them to share, you can let folks know here.

TRYNA MAKE PLANS; virgin burner heelppp

Postby RiveresL » Mon May 06, 2013 12:58 am

Hey there! My name is Deidre and this is going to be my first burn. I am trying to figure out how I am going to get to burning man this year and I am in a dilemna. I will be moving to San Francisco right after BM so I would LOVE if anyone would want the company of my friend Amanda and I as we cross the country! We have 0 idea what we are doing, we are just in love with the passion burning man emits and the beauty of the experience. We are both in our mid twenties and because I am moving after BM, all I need is to get a rental car to take to the city from around BM. If anyone has any advice, or anything help they can offer I would really love some good vibes. I don't want to take my car because I am not going to need a car in the city and I am scared I would have to sell my personal car (instead of just leaving it at my parents house for one day in the future)

heelppp??
RiveresL

Burning Since: 2013

Re: TRYNA MAKE PLANS; virgin burner heelppp

Postby trilobyte » Mon May 06, 2013 8:30 am

If you're looking to sort out a rideshare, then you'll likely need to look for two one-way rideshares for each of you. One from home-Burning Man (if you're planning on driving all the way in) or Reno-Burning Man (if you're flying), and then one from Burning Man to SF afterwards. I've never done that myself so I couldn't tell you firsthand how complicated that would be, but it sounds like making that work would be tricky even if you're both seasoned travel veterans and packing ninjas.

Seeing as it's two of you, it might be easier (and smarter) to rent a car. Two people plus the gear you'll need or want to bring with you would likely fill most of a mid-sized car anyways. If you go that route, you won't have to worry about stuff like whether your ride will flake, whether they'll have enough space to haul your stuff, and juggling travel schedules.

No, you don't need a car once you're in Black Rock City and unloaded at your camp, but getting there isn't as easy as you might think. With zero traffic, getting to Burning Man would take roughly two hours from Reno (the nearest city you'd rent a car from) and then another 45 minutes once you get off the pavement.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby gibson_ » Mon May 06, 2013 10:17 am

What the fuck are you trying to ask here? I've read your post three times and I still have no idea what you're going for.
gibson_

Postby Savannah » Mon May 06, 2013 10:44 am

RiveresL . . . getting a 1-way ride from whatever city you're in now ( . . . what is it? . . . ) to Burning Man may or may not be difficult. You could click "Regionals" on the main site and meet some locals, and share costs. Google your hometown's name with the keywords Burning Man and Facebook. You could also look at http://rideshare.burningman.com and make a post or two, but the rideshare board tends to be slow for another month.

Pre-arranging a 1-way ride off the playa to SF is probably also possible--from some other person--but that's where it starts to get tricky, to me. You'd have to meet up with them out there, and trust that nothing would go wrong . . . that you'd be able to find them on the playa, that they wouldn't suddenly have to leave, that you (or they) hadn't vastly overestimated the amount of space they would have for your stuff. You will have more gear than you think. Burning Man gear for two people, packing light, can very easily fill a sedan to capacity. (I've done it, & It was only possible to get all our stuff into it 'cause we weren't bringing a shade structure--we were sharing one with friends who were meeting is there.)

Reserving a Cargo Van from a place with no-fee cancellations would cost more than ridesharing, but you'd have security. Definitely enough room for two people and their things, and maybe a box of stuff for your life in SF, and you're leaving much less to chance.
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby Token » Mon May 06, 2013 8:30 pm

This is your brain on drugs

Token

Burning Since: 2001

Postby burner von braun » Mon May 06, 2013 10:08 pm

A very different but perhaps viable option might be to look at taking an Amtrack train for both legs of your trip. Then all you would need is a ride from Reno to BRC, and later back to Reno, and then hop aboard the train to SF. You could perhaps split the cost of a private roomette with your friend, where you could be much more comfortable, especially on the first leg of your trip. It may not be a suitable option for you, but if you are curious, there are threads elsewhere on this board with posts from burners with experience in such things where you can learn more.

I'm not sure how far you are regarding preparations, but absolutely, be certain you have read the Burning Man Survival Guide and First Timers Guide thoroughly! Time is beginning to run short for this year.

Good luck, whatever you end up deciding to do.
Another early attempt at success
burner von braun

Burning Since: 2010

Postby RiveresL » Mon May 06, 2013 10:34 pm

Thank you to everyone who gave me positive feedback. I was just basically asking advice because I am new to all of this... No need to cuss :x

I like the idea of the train, I think I am going to discuss that with my friend. If not I will probably just take my car and sell it when I get to the city for what it is worth (I've never really liked insurance anyways ;D) We are going to be leaving here from Maryland, so I will check out rideshare and see what's up. Do people meet and caravan and stuff? I bet that would be a blast.
RiveresL

Postby BBadger » Tue May 07, 2013 12:48 am

It sounds like you should spend some time with those links in Trilobyte's signature lest you end up as

Nail down those necessities before seeking out the company of others. You'll never be alone on the playa, but you may be miserable without having your camping stuff in order. It's also a lot easier to haul in what you need yourself rather than relying on others to have room in their overloaded vehicle. You can find camps to join if you want, but that's something you should figure out by asking around, not in this thread.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby Savannah » Tue May 07, 2013 1:00 am

RiveresL wrote:Thank you to everyone who gave me positive feedback. I was just basically asking advice because I am new to all of this... No need to cuss :x

You barely got any cussing at all, compared to most. :)

People give flak to those they are worried can't take care of themselves. You can probably do it; start feeling it.

I like the idea of the train, I think I am going to discuss that with my friend. If not I will probably just take my car and sell it when I get to the city for what it is worth (I've never really liked insurance anyways ;D) We are going to be leaving here from Maryland, so I will check out rideshare and see what's up. Do people meet and caravan and stuff? I bet that would be a blast.

Amtrak has a luggage allowance way better than any airline, but you will still have to shop food, water, etc in Nevada, and as a virgin, shopping quickly can be overwhelming. Driving's far better--if it's feasible for you. If you drive, you can shop and pack starting now, and do a test pack of your car. It will be stuffed as hell. :lol:

People do meet and caravan, but there are almost as many Burning styles as there are Burners themselves. If you were even partially considering taking your own car and selling it in SF, seriously--think about it. The bad thing about counting on other people to help you Burn is that when they change jobs or have family issues or health issues or get nervous and cancel . . . you are suddenly three weeks out without a ride, and don't know what your contingency plan is. This happens a lot in June and July. And then if you decide you're too scared to go, because you were counting on someone else, it might be hard to sell your ticket. Right now, tickets are very much wanted, but last year people were selling 'em for half price in August because 2-3 weeks before the event, most seekers who are still looking actually give up.

Savannah

Postby trilobyte » Tue May 07, 2013 7:04 am

For fuck's sakes, woman, if cussing offends you then stop making plans now - Burning Man is a place filled with things that are likely to offend one's delicate sensibilities.

If you can get over it and toughen up, then keep working at it. You can probably figure it out. Since it's looking like you haven't done much reading, take a look at the Overview of the ePlaya and this article in particular. And if you haven't read the Survival Guide & First Timer's Guide linked in my signature, do so immediately - they really are required reading.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby RiveresL » Tue May 07, 2013 2:26 pm

I think what I'm going to end up doing is taking my car so I can use it to help anchor down a good sun shelter and camp and then sell it in SF once I've settled in. Out of all my options that sounds like the best way to get my life stuff and my burning man stuff across the country safely.

Did a little reading and feel a little bit better, plus it's always good to hear what someone more experienced than you has to say. I feel like such a dweeb hahaha.

I'll do my best not to burn to a crisp!! :D
RiveresL

Postby Savannah » Tue May 07, 2013 2:36 pm

If you pile your Burn Stuff in one spot in the house, you'll know in advance how much Life Stuff you can fit into the car--and how much space your friend gets. :D

Savannah

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue May 07, 2013 6:24 pm

Bringing your car into California permanently may mean that it has to have special smog controls put into it. Smogging is the seller's responsibility, although there are people who will do it when they buy. Just look into that so you're prepared.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Return to 2013 Share Resources