First timer has some questions

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

First timer has some questions

Postby Juicebhax » Mon May 06, 2013 4:55 am

Hello guys!

my girlfriend and i are attending our first burn this year. im starting to plan our tent area. I've been thinking about shade structure that we could post set our hammocks up that we have. I was thinking about EMT or PVC pipe ribs in the shape of an upside down V with shade cloth for the actual cover. Kind of like an old school style tent. I was also thinking of instead of the Piping, using metal line as a main support strung between the luggage rack of my 4runner and a support post 10 or so feet away and draping the shade cloth over the line and securing to the playa with rebar bent into the candy cane design. I thought we could hammer some support poles of some kind inside the structure(to the ground of course) and string our hammocks up on them. Im worried that the luggage rack might not hold in strong winds and the whole thing would come down. Also im not sure what to do as for a door. im not that worried about having one but the missus would probably feel differently. Any ideas or suggestions on what ive got in mind? or should i just tent it up with everyone else lol Thanks guys.

Where going to be driving down from Seattle WA in my 96 4runner so im trying to save as much space as i can.
Juicebhax

Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Sidekick camp

Re: First timer has some questions

Postby Sham » Mon May 06, 2013 5:25 am

Welcome juicebaux. I'm glad to see you planning early. That's a good thing!
Keep in mind that the winds can get pretty strong on the playa. I have seen 70 mph winds that last for the entire day. Hot as hell during the day, and cold in the 30's at night.
A shade structure during the day is important, and there are thousands of designs and thoughts on that subject. I prefer a real tent vs. a makeshift lean-to. You can store your water jugs in the corners of the tent for extra ballast.
Be sure to read the First Timer's Guide that's linked in my address below.
Good luck with your planning.

Sham....
Sham

Postby mudpuppy000 » Mon May 06, 2013 6:07 am

Juicebhax wrote:Hello guys!

my girlfriend and i are attending our first burn this year. im starting to plan our tent area. I've been thinking about shade structure that we could post set our hammocks up that we have. I was thinking about EMT or PVC pipe ribs in the shape of an upside down V with shade cloth for the actual cover. Kind of like an old school style tent. I was also thinking of instead of the Piping, using metal line as a main support strung between the luggage rack of my 4runner and a support post 10 or so feet away and draping the shade cloth over the line and securing to the playa with rebar bent into the candy cane design. I thought we could hammer some support poles of some kind inside the structure(to the ground of course) and string our hammocks up on them. Im worried that the luggage rack might not hold in strong winds and the whole thing would come down. Also im not sure what to do as for a door. im not that worried about having one but the missus would probably feel differently. Any ideas or suggestions on what ive got in mind? or should i just tent it up with everyone else lol Thanks guys.

Where going to be driving down from Seattle WA in my 96 4runner so im trying to save as much space as i can.

My first year I did a lean-to off of my xterra. It worked out ok, but wasn't especially comfortable. I bought some metal poles to give it a little more clearance for subsequent years but haven't actually used them as I ended up buying a better shade structure (north pole party tent). You should look up the monkey huts as they're almost like what you're thinking about doing with PVC, and would likely be stronger than a "V" shape.

Note, if you're going to put tarps on your vehicle, it will rub/scratch the paint. If that's not a concern then go for it. :)
Orphan Endorphin Camp
Micro/Homebrew - Infused Vodkas - Magic Goats
http://orphanendorphin.com/
mudpuppy000

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Orphan Endorphin

Postby TomServo » Mon May 06, 2013 6:46 am

Roof racks are a great anchor point. An idea: 1 1/2" PVC fits nicely over T-posts. Two would be all you need..plus a pounder...and a puller. But, T-posts DO NOT move!
anything worth doing is worth overdoing..
TomServo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Return to Shelter & Camping