Fundraiser - BloodBath and Beyond needs your help!

Find out more about projects that need your help, and how you can show them support. Please note: only on-playa projects may be listed.

Fundraiser - BloodBath and Beyond needs your help!

Postby tattoogoddess » Thu May 02, 2013 3:17 pm

We need YOUR help! Our funds are tapped this year and we still need to buy quite a bit for our bar to be able to gift bloody Mary's to as many people as possible. Please donate! If you are not able to, you can also help us by reporting the link to your burner friends and friends alike!

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/blood ... g-man-2013

Thanks!
Tattoogoddess and Tom Servo
maladroit- Burning Man is like a second job, except you pay to work there.
Burning Man is just the pre party for exodus! - fellow burner during exodus
http://burnon.wix.com/bloodbathandbeyond
tattoogoddess

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: bloodbath and beyond

Re: BloodBath and Beyond needs your help!

Postby BBadger » Thu May 02, 2013 9:13 pm

So ... you couldn't have just cut back on all the generators, carports, tents, vibration speakers, tarps, new bar, hoodies, everything-else-we've-been-seeing-posted-the-past-few-months, etc. for the camp? Maybe like budgeted a little?
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby tattoogoddess » Thu May 02, 2013 11:07 pm

The hoodies, our camp mates and friends paid for , I am just putting them together, the ONE generator was needed to power our items in camp at night, the tarps are needed for the carports for shade for people as well as our camp mates, new bar... We never had one to begin with. Tent... My knees could no longer take crawling on the playa so we got one I could stand in.

We did budget and met our budget we have everything we budgeted for, but we have decided last minute we would like to go bigger to acomidate more people because of the interest in our camp and would like to be able to gift more to the playa then just 2 hours in the morning, As well as make it more interactive.

I see nothing wrong with that. This is our first year with this camp . We made this whole camp with toms full time job warehouse and my part time small pub job. We have sacrificed many months to be able to make this camp become a reality and be able to help others along the way. We don't charge dues at our camp as well.so it all comes from us two.So I give us a pat on the back for pulling this off in budget already.
tattoogoddess

Postby clocksnmirrors » Fri May 03, 2013 2:31 am

i like the bullhorn idea!
i had the same shyness issue you did so i totally understand where you're coming from

i hope your bar is a huge success :D
WEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeee heee heee heeeee! *burp*
clocksnmirrors

Postby TomServo » Fri May 03, 2013 5:50 am

BBadger wrote:So ... you couldn't have just cut back on all the generators, carports, tents, vibration speakers, tarps, new bar, hoodies, everything-else-we've-been-seeing-posted-the-past-few-months, etc. for the camp? Maybe like budgeted a little?

I thought we were done buying shit...all within budget. Maybe this is for the box truck, to haul all the extra shit we've yet to buy.
anything worth doing..is worth overdoing

Vor Gebrauch Sprengkapsel einsetzen
TomServo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby lemur » Fri May 03, 2013 7:03 am

tattoogoddess wrote:it all comes from us two. So I give us a pat on the back for pulling this off in budget already.

well apart from the thousands of dollars youre asking for... yeah.
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby Dr. Pyro » Fri May 03, 2013 8:17 am

My experience has been (and I know many of you don't give shit one about my experiences) that things always cost more than you think. And everything takes longer to accomplish than you initially plan for. After awhile, as you grow, the curve becomes geometric. So budgets are nice to have for guidelines, but always (psychologically at least) be prepared to have costs exceed budgets. I'm pretty certain the Democrats (and politicians in general) have taken this theorum to heart.
Dr. Pyro

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby tattoogoddess » Fri May 03, 2013 9:27 am

Well what can you say, Tom is a man. Selective hearing lol
Thanks for the help in funding guys!!

And Doc you are right!
tattoogoddess

Postby BBadger » Sat May 04, 2013 1:21 pm

You're not "in budget" when you've "tapped" your funds for your project and are asking for others to cover the extra cost. To that end, when you're at or over budget you maintain or scale back your programs -- not try to expand them with the expectation that others will make up the difference.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

BBadger

Postby tattoogoddess » Sat May 04, 2013 1:39 pm

This amount of booze was not put into the budget. Nor was the 3rd car port. We decided to expand what we would do in the camp to give more interactivity to the masses due to interest.
We budgeted for what we have currently. No more no less and set with in that budget.

Bbadger, do you own a team camp?
tattoogoddess

Postby lemur » Sat May 04, 2013 2:01 pm

ah yes.

the old 'well, you should be quiet because youre not _____me in my situation_____'

i think it's pretty clear, whether one is a theme camp extraordinaire or not, that this kind of begging shit is getting out of hand... trading trinkets for cold hard cash?! ..whether people LIKE or SUPPORT the idea or not matters little... it feels a lot like people get some idea that they are entitled to shit out their dream project because a few folks think its a good idea.. ..and well, if they cant pay for it, someone will! its burning man! GIFT ME MY ART THAT IM GIFTING THE COMMUNITY.

yer still living beyond yer means.. yer asking for money thats not really needed... ya know, plenty of folks have been doing these small not-so-amazing hole in the wall camps forever without asking the public to raise thousands of dollars to make it happen.

and what value for money are people getting for their thousands of dollars?

i get to hang out in your carport and drink bloody marys with some shitty rubbermade containers as speakers .....and for THIS we had to pay $3000 bucks ? do i get to hang out in your u-haul truck ?

no, bloodbath and beyond doesnt NEED OUR HELP. they need to scale back their plans and have fun with what they can do... WITHIN THEIR BUDGET (and enough of this bullshit 'oh we are within our budget' while asking for thousands.. perhaps its within the 'what money we actually have' budget and its always been budgeted for others to spend thousands on your party... (oh wait.. spend thousands on your gift to them))

all this lovey huggy 'gift me my camp to me!' shit is tiresome.. and seeing people claim they are still on budget while asking for more money is the height of foolishness regarding this topic

GET OVER YRSELFS.. you might have some really giving friends but really, ... your camp idea and what you offer to the community isnt worth the $3000... asking price. have you SEEN some of the stuff people have done out there without asking the general public to pay a single penny ?

fer fucks sake, have you no shame ?

GOOD LUCK with the fundraiser..

good luck realizing that you dont need to have A BUNCH OF SHIT.. or need to plan for thousands of people visiting your camp to make a thing that people will like......

good luck realizing the gift giving is better when friends and strangers didnt pay for it.
lemur

Postby tattoogoddess » Sat May 04, 2013 2:52 pm

lemur wrote:ah yes.

the old 'well, you should be quiet because youre not _____me in my situation_____'

i think it's pretty clear, whether one is a theme camp extraordinaire or not, that this kind of begging shit is getting out of hand... trading trinkets for cold hard cash?! ..whether people LIKE or SUPPORT the idea or not matters little... it feels a lot like people get some idea that they are entitled to shit out their dream project because a few folks think its a good idea.. ..and well, if they cant pay for it, someone will! its burning man! GIFT ME MY ART THAT IM GIFTING THE COMMUNITY.

yer still living beyond yer means.. yer asking for money thats not really needed... ya know, plenty of folks have been doing these small not-so-amazing hole in the wall camps forever without asking the public to raise thousands of dollars to make it happen.

and what value for money are people getting for their thousands of dollars?

i get to hang out in your carport and drink bloody marys with some shitty rubbermade containers as speakers .....and for THIS we had to pay $3000 bucks ? do i get to hang out in your u-haul truck ?

no, bloodbath and beyond doesnt NEED OUR HELP. they need to scale back their plans and have fun with what they can do... WITHIN THEIR BUDGET (and enough of this bullshit 'oh we are within our budget' while asking for thousands.. perhaps its within the 'what money we actually have' budget and its always been budgeted for others to spend thousands on your party... (oh wait.. spend thousands on your gift to them))

all this lovey huggy 'gift me my camp to me!' shit is tiresome.. and seeing people claim they are still on budget while asking for more money is the height of foolishness regarding this topic

GET OVER YRSELFS.. you might have some really giving friends but really, ... your camp idea and what you offer to the community isnt worth the $3000... asking price. have you SEEN some of the stuff people have done out there without asking the general public to pay a single penny ?

fer fucks sake, have you no shame ?

GOOD LUCK with the fundraiser..

good luck realizing that you dont need to have A BUNCH OF SHIT.. or need to plan for thousands of people visiting your camp to make a thing that people will like......

good luck realizing the gift giving is better when friends and strangers didnt pay for it.

Let me ask you this, how is this any different then any other fundraisers? Say dye with dignaty , nexas, root ect ct? Pleas explain. All of them that are camps are doing the same thing.
"have you SEEN some of the stuff people have done out there without asking the general public to pay a single penny ?"

Yes because they have money to do it or charge camp dues in the hundreds or do fundraisers with in the camp.
We have none of these. So we are asking the public to help. How is it wrong for people to gift to or camp? $13 allows us to gift to 25 people.
You know I find it funny, when I wanted to do a fundraiser for an art project last year I got shot down same thing and now again this year. Must I be part of a core? Be petter Hudson? Temple? In order to not be attacked to try to bring something to give the playa? I'm sorry we don't have amazing paying jobs, but we have put 75% of our income all year into this camp. We have worked hard to make this camp and gift as much as possible.. We want to gift more.
tattoogoddess

Postby lemur » Sat May 04, 2013 3:01 pm

tattoogoddess wrote:Must I be part of a core? Be petter Hudson? Temple? In order to not be attacked to try to bring something to give the playa?

im pretty sure nobody would shame you for 'just bringing something' ...even if it wasnt enough for everyone.
lemur

Postby tattoogoddess » Sat May 04, 2013 3:12 pm

So let me ask you then, why are you not all over dye with dignity? That is the only fundraiser in eplaya you have yet to bash, they are asking for funds to be able to gift more then they did last year and for art car work. (They are my playa family and I love them to death btw, just using this to point something out)

Please explain.

It seems to me unless they are a friend you will bitch about them trying to get community support.
You have your camp paid for by the org, so yeah it's easy for you/your camp to not have to ask for money.
Last edited by tattoogoddess on Sat May 04, 2013 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tattoogoddess

Postby lemur » Sat May 04, 2013 3:13 pm

i think i'll go on a bit more on that previous point.

i think this example is one like we see from newcomers all the time, trying to do so much their first year, to volunteer every where and to gift out all kinds of chinese crap.

people often tell these people WOAH WOAH, HANG ON THERE PAL...... you know, its just fine if YOU come.. you know, youre great just as you are.. no need to be gifting people shit or volunteering everywhere... people will likely just enjoy you! (and you can enjoy others without giving them crap)

... i think we see this same mindset with theme camps/art projects.. often from folks doing it the first time (or sometimes not the first time)

yet we rarely get anyone saying HOLD ON THERE COWBOY.. you neednt make it huge, or bigger, ..just bring what you can, thats enough..

why not?!

i think you probably have enough great ideas and great people and enough stuff already to make a real fun camp that people will enjoy......... and ya know, ..its the people i enjoy at burning man..... i can bring my own booze.. and music is everywhere (so is shade).

be happy to bring yourselves.

we all want to gift something to all 50k people who go to the burn.. well.. lots of us do ..at least

yeah!! it might be better if you GO BIG.. and have some awesome shit..

but you know? you.. and your idea is just fine without making it huger.. and you know what? it might be better without extra hoards of moochers swarming just to get free booze.

you know.. as is said.

bigger isnt better..better is better.
lemur

Postby lemur » Sat May 04, 2013 3:14 pm

tattoogoddess wrote:So let me ask you then, why are you not all over dye with dignity? That is the only fundraiser in eplaya you have yet to bash, they are asking for funds to be able to gift more then they did last year.

because i do not want to annoy the people running that camp... for some odd reason in my head.. i think ive tortured that group enough.
lemur

Postby shykat » Sat May 04, 2013 3:17 pm

Damn entitlement projects...... always asking for the public to pay there way........
I'm the one that has to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life, the way I want to ...Jimi Hendrix
shykat

Postby tattoogoddess » Sat May 04, 2013 3:25 pm

If everyone did that, we would have no sound camps no theme camp nada.
tattoogoddess

Postby BBadger » Sun May 05, 2013 2:06 pm

tattoogoddess wrote:This amount of booze was not put into the budget. Nor was the 3rd car port. We decided to expand what we would do in the camp to give more interactivity to the masses due to interest.

We budgeted for what we have currently. No more no less and set with in that budget.

So let me get this straight: you think that by not putting something into the original budget, but then finding out you have to pay for that thing later, that it is not equivalent to being over budget?

Bbadger, do you own a team camp?

That has what to do with anything?

Anyone can start a "team camp" (theme camp?) as much as anyone can start a business, a non-profit, an art project, etc. It earns you zero distinctions above anyone else. Hell, even you went from trying for an LIT ticket last year to "owning" a theme camp. NOT AN ACCOMPLISHMENT. Put "owned a theme camp" in your obituary and we'll all be rolling our eyes just as much as reading about someone being an "aspiring actor." Anyone can "aspire" -- it doesn't mean you're going to be successful.

I'll turn the question back on you: have you owned a theme camp? Or a business? Or managed a project? Do you know what makes such operations successful?

Here's a hint: what makes a functional and/or successful camp/project/business/etc. is one that can operate on its own without having society pay its way. How do you do it? You keep things sustainable. Operate in the black, not the red. If you didn't budget in your pet project because you had to take care of business at home, or don't get to serve up as much as you think people expected, the playa will move on. Nobody is keeping tabs. Nobody requires a specific minimum service level. Hell, most people who will take your free shit will never return after that 10 minutes waiting in line.

We served up some stuff last year, and when it ran out, it ran out. We didn't go petitioning the world for donations to redistribute aid to the playa under the guise of selfless gifting. I don't want a pat on the back: that's the way it should be.

tattoogoddess wrote:So let me ask you then, why are you not all over dye with dignity? That is the only fundraiser in eplaya you have yet to bash, they are asking for funds to be able to gift more then they did last year and for art car work. (They are my playa family and I love them to death btw, just using this to point something out)

Maybe you ought to take a leaf out of Tamarakay's book when it came to her project's humble beginnings and the conflict over whether to petition for funds. Tamarakay's project started within her means, and this year she has the supplies and means to bring the project back to the same level as last year. This is phase two.

Compare that to this situation where you don't even have the budget to cover this pet project in the first place, and are now trying to even expand it more. How about starting small and establishing yourself as a responsible project manager before trying to suck in more funds like some inexperienced start-up hitting up sugar daddies before the tech-bubble crash? Quite frankly, I think it'd be irresponsible to donate to a project like this given your demonstrated lack of responsibility and experience.

tattoogoddess wrote:If everyone did that, we would have no sound camps no theme camp nada.

A statement like that makes it so ironic that you think you understand what it means to "own" a theme camp. Believe it or not, this plague of crowdfunded camps and projects is a recent phenomena. In the past, donations were simply given to help people for what they already paid for -- not as a means to simply make projects happen in the first place.

Unfortunately, people are regressing into this idea that "the playa provides" and that any pet project will be immediately and enthusiastically funded by the rest of society. That is freeloader hippie-think, the kind that deservedly gets snarked away in the Tickets forums. Don't think like a hippie and take some responsibility.

BBadger

Postby H.G.Crosby » Sun May 05, 2013 2:27 pm

[media]
Once I noticed I was on fire, I decided to relax and enjoy the fall™
H.G.Crosby

Postby tattoogoddess » Sun May 05, 2013 3:12 pm

Bbager, you do realize this is not the first year for bb&b right?
This is toms camp hand down. He has a 50+ hour a week job. I have the time to cat wrangle this year and a business degree so I took over this year planning.

And yes bbager. I own a business currently. Not my first one I may add. I pay taxes,have a tax I'd, licensed ,buy inventory ect ect.

Do I need to show you my countless business proposals? My tax I'd? Degrees? Will any of this make you go away and let me do what I want to do? Isn't kinda the backbone of bm not to tell people how to do their burn? People do not have to donate if they do not want to. But the endless attacks on ideas I have is getting old.
tattoogoddess

Postby BBadger » Sun May 05, 2013 8:25 pm

Yes, I am aware this camp has been around for a while. So let Tom make the "oh have you ever run a camp?!" statements, not the rookie that just signed up. Even so, I would expect that if Tom -- or anyone -- has operated a camp for X odd years that maybe the booze and whatever has been the mainstay, predictable attraction of this camp would be part of the initial budget not some add-on expense afterthought for donations to cover. Actually, the very fact that BB&B is begging for donations is what prompted my initial response to this beg-a-thon. I thought you'd have your shit together. I guess not.

And cute, business proposals. They're like aspirations too, as in anyone can make a business proposal. Many (most) get rejected. Why? Because the most important part of any business proposal is accounting for it expenses. In other words, how you're going to ensure the business can even function. "Oh yeah, how we're going to pay for all this all...?" Usually that does not include begging for the public to cover the main purpose of your business in order to make it happen (unless you're ensuring some sort of future profit, which this "gifting" is not).

No, I don't care about your credentials. What good are credentials in the context of demonstrated ability?

And no, the backbone of BM is not about "not telling people how to burn" -- nothing even remotely approximating it. It's about not caring how others want you to burn. All on you, not them. Regardless, it doesn't matter. This is not Burning Man. This is ePlaya. We're on the other side of the trash fence here. Here we deal with the real world, including money, commerce, businesses, etc. You can't beg for monetary donations at Burning Man either. So yes, I will question and be critical of all financial transactions that go on here, especially those representing a pattern of problems.

BBadger

Postby International Incident » Sun May 05, 2013 9:06 pm

I can't stop myself posting.. I just can't

I usually give about $500 to various "projects" each year (well for my three years thus far anyway).

My criteria is as follows:
1. Am I funding art?
2. Do I like the idea of the art?
3. Do I think that the people requesting my money will use it for the art?
4. Does the group involved have their shit together?

If I can't get to ticks in all those boxes then my credit card stays in my wallet.

From looking at the successful projects on starterkickergogo I reckon that most people that donate think the same way.

Not funding someone's booze camp.

Build more art people!
International Incident

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: P6 - a Barbie Death Village production

Postby International Incident » Sun May 05, 2013 9:08 pm

International Incident wrote:I can't stop myself posting.. I just can't

I usually give about $500 to various "projects" each year (well for my three years thus far anyway).

1. Am I funding art?

If I can't get to ticks in all those boxes then my credit card stays in my wallet.

From looking at the successful projects on starterkickergogo I reckon that most people that donate think the same way.

Build more art people!

Oh and I count helping SOTP get to BM as art. He is art. And he doesn't have to have his shit together. Thus showing there is always an exception to every rule...
International Incident

Camp Name: P6 - a Barbie Death Village production

Postby tattoogoddess » Sun May 05, 2013 9:39 pm

International Incident wrote:I can't stop myself posting.. I just can't

1. Am I funding art?

Build more art people!

and that is perfectly ok. Art is not my strong point unless it is hair,mixoligy or the two banners I painted for camp. Maybe I have not found this inspiration yet. But thank you for showing your ways of thinking. I respect that.
tattoogoddess

Postby Simon of the Playa » Mon May 06, 2013 6:39 am

Oh and I count helping SOTP get to BM as art. He is art. And he doesn't have to have his shit together. Thus showing there is always an exception to every rule...

thank you.

and thanks to all who have a place n my heart, which i wear, on my sleeve.

i dont know if it's ART, but it is a performance of sorts...

and you know i love the aussies, i just give you shit because you talk funny....
breathe deep, the playa is the dust of your ancestors

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby mgb327 » Mon May 06, 2013 1:44 pm

Every time I see Simon here or elsewhere, I KNOW my "donated funds" to him were the best donations I have ever made. Bar none, my Olivia on his arm means the world to me......That's where the gift of money should go, to something that matters to the giver. I donate a bit during the "giving season", always art projects I relate to. I also have a camp, you just have to find it. Has the best bacon, raspberry jam and coffee......
Dogs are the leaders of the planet. If you see two life forms, one of them’s making a poop, the other one’s carrying it for him, who would you assume is in charge?
" I am a controlled substance". Savannah.
mgb327

Postby AntiM » Mon May 06, 2013 2:05 pm

Raspberry jam? Now THAT is ART!
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby maryanimal » Mon May 06, 2013 2:59 pm

Bacon AND raspberry jam?!? yummy!
Sometimes I'm confused by what I think is really obvious. But what I think is really obvious obviously isn't obvious.
maryanimal

Postby Simon of the Playa » Mon May 06, 2013 3:19 pm

i have had that raspberry jam, and it was Ambrosia.

spread that on anything, and it instantly becomes tasty.
breathe deep, the playa is the dust of your ancestors

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Next

Return to 2013 Support A Project