Shipping Stuff

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

Shipping Stuff

Postby Drawingablank » Fri May 03, 2013 12:09 pm

Being in the mail order business, I thought I'd put up some hints and tips for shipping gear out to Reno or elsewhere based on my experiences.

Mail vs. UPS

1. Generally anything over a few pounds will be cheaper to ship via UPS. The main exception to this is light but bulky packages since UPS charges for dimensional volume and the postal service doesn't.

2. UPS has an advanced parcel traking system, the postal service's tracking system leaves a lot to be desired.

3. If the package is valuable and lost or damaged, UPS is pretty good about paying claims. The postal service is extremely difficult to collect on claims (nearly impossible) - even if you pay for insurance.

4. The Postal Service is a lot less rough on packages - especially long narrow ones.

5. UPS is cheaper when shipped to a commercial address than to residential.

Where To Ship

Optimally ship it to your hotel - the reservation desk can give instructions for this when you book. Typically they require you to have your reservation number on the package (put this on the label and write it elsewhere in black marker).

Alternately have it shipped to UPS store or terminal, or held for delivery at the post office if using the postal service.

When To Ship

Allow extra time! Ship it a week early to make sure it's there when you arrive. Do not ship too far in advance though.

Pack It Well

The better you pack it, the more likely it will arrive intact. Personally I like to pack inside coolers or plastic tubs (both useful to have on the playa) then place them into a cardboard carton (some shippers charge additional for items not in a carton). Seal with poly tape and reinforce with nylon strapping tape. Rather than use packing materials such as bubble wrap, use towels or something else you need on the playa to wrap fragile items.

How To Ship

This is how to save money.

1. Price both postal and UPS shipment for each package usps.com and ups.com make sure to include the package dimensions and an accurate weight.

2. Postal shipments - buy the postage online and you save a few percent. Once purchased you can drop it at the post office, or if Priority mail they will pick it up for free.

3. UPS shipments - The most expensive way is to use a mailbox / shipping type business, followed by a UPS store. Most UPS shippers (businesses with daily UPS pickup) get discounted rates. Ask your friends if any have a UPS account and would be willing to ship it for you and just pay them to do it - this could result in a huge savings. If you plan to ship the stuff back after the burn, have your friend preprint a return label (reverse the addresses) and just bring it with you for use after the burn.

Assorted Tips
1. Although it will increase the weight a lot, reinforce long narrow packages with wood or a heavy round cardboard core (like those used for rolls of carpet) - for example if shipping a fire stave.

2. Don't ship flammables or aerosol cans unless you understand and comply with any regulations that apply to them. Failure to do so may result in criminal charges.

3. Always use reinforced tape to strap packages over 20 pounds.

4. Inside each package include a paper with the destination address and your return address - you never know when a label might get destroyed and the package has to be opened to see where it was going.

I hope this helps.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide
Drawingablank

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Re: Shipping Stuff

Postby lemur » Fri May 03, 2013 12:18 pm

having taken advantage of this myself to get propane cannisters for my stove to me when flying in to reno:

its of note that UPS/FEDEX wont take propane/butane cannisters.

the USPS will.

find the proper way to pack it, the limitations on containers and sizes on their website.. and take it on to the post office.

ship it to burning man.

open box with propane.. cook some shit.

it works.. the lady at the post office had to go back in the office to find the same info i had applied to DO IT RIGHT.

send propane to burning man. its fun. (when done right following all of the applicable laws)
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri May 03, 2013 12:31 pm

Drawingablank wrote:Failure to do so may result in criminal charges.

Keep Shipping to Burningman Potentially Illegal!
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Oldguy » Fri May 03, 2013 1:50 pm

You can ground-ship via Greyhound also. I once had a massage table shipped from LA to Reno. When I worked at a movie theatre, I would pick up the film cans weekly at the bus station. A hundred ways to ship a cat, so to speak...
Image current moon

"Opportunity is missed by most people
because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."
-Thomas Alva Edison
Oldguy

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Dogpatch

Postby Drawingablank » Fri May 03, 2013 4:08 pm

Yes, there are other ways including Greyhound, and burner containers.

From what I understand greyhounds prices are great - but remember to factor in delivering it to the terminal and picking it up from the terminal. If you live in a major city this may also pose a problem for parking while you drop / pick up the package.

If you live in an area that has a container shipped to the playa - that is also a bargain, but again requires delivering and picking up from the load out point plus dragging it from the container location on the playa to your camp and back again. For example my local conatiner loadout is over an hour drive and requires several bridge toills as well.

I also didn't mention FedX ground service - it is virtually the same price as UPS, but in my experience a bit slower.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide
Drawingablank

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby Oldguy » Sat May 04, 2013 11:54 pm

I was wrong, you cannot ship a cat by Greyhound...

Can I insure my package?
GPX offers shippers the ability to purchase additional "declared" value for shipments exceeding the standard $100.00 value declaration. GPX does not offer "insurance" for packages. See Terms and Conditions for declared value costs and limitations.

How do I track my package?
By using our tracking system at ShipGreyhound.com or by calling 1-800-739-5020 (Please note, online tracking is currently available to orders placed online exclusively.)

Packages / Packaging

What are your package weight and size restrictions?
The maximum weight per package is 100 pounds. The extreme measurements of length, width, and height shall not exceed 30" x 47" x 82".

What are your requirements regarding oversized packages?
Auto parts will need to be tendered with OEM packaging. If manufacturing packaging does not exist we will accept at the shippers risk or at no declared value. Shipments more than 48" in length could take up to 30 days in transit due to space constraints.

What are your packaging requirements?
All shipments must be packed in containers made of durable material and of quality sufficient to withstand handling on buses. All packages containing FRAGILE or PERISHABLE articles must be marked in large letters, preferably with appropriate labels. See Terms and Conditions for complete packaging requirements. Additional restrictions apply for auto parts as listed below.

Should I leave my package open for inspection?
If appropriate, leave open for inspection. Greyhound reserves the right to open and inspect shipments when deemed necessary, and to refuse those improperly or inadequately packed, those damaged, and those containing articles prohibited for shipment. Tape will be made available to finish your packaging.

Do I have to have the item boxed or crated?
No, but the item must be prepared with appropriate packaging materials in order to protect the item being shipped as well as other items traveling in bus cargo.

Does GPX offer packing supplies and services?
GPX offers packing materials for sale at many locations throughout the US. Packing services are not yet available.

Other

What's the cost per pound?
GPX rates vary by weight, distance and service level. Please obtain rate information online or by calling 1-800-739-5020.

Do you ship animals?
No. GPX does not currently provide pet transport services.

Call GPX at 1-800-739-5020
© Greyhound PackageXpress. All Rights Reserved. All trademarks are owned by Greyhound Lines, Inc.
Privacy Policy | webmaster@greyhound.com
Image current moon

"Opportunity is missed by most people
because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."
-Thomas Alva Edison
Oldguy

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Dogpatch

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks