Florida Burners! Who's flyin' who's drivin'?

Materials, expertise and rides...whether you need them or have them to share, you can let folks know here.

Florida Burners! Who's flyin' who's drivin'?

Postby Funkpocket » Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:29 pm

Any containers leaving Florida, anyone need things shipped?
Funkpocket

Re: Florida Burners! Who's flyin' who's drivin'?

Postby clocksnmirrors » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:30 pm

hey there

i'm south florida here. will be driving unless i get my way and move to nm

where are you in florida?
WEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeee heee heee heeeee! *burp*
clocksnmirrors

Burning Since: 2012

Postby Firespyder » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:17 pm

South Florida virgin here. As I will most likely be traveling by myself I think flying there would be the way to go. The cost to drive outweighs the flight by a fair margin. Problem is I have all the gear I would ever need so to purchase gear in reno just seem wasteful.

I was thinking of shipping my gear to a UPS store for pick up. Does anyone know the feasibility of this? I have yet to price it but it has to be cheaper than trying to check anything though the airlines. Problem is I need to bring my staffs and I will have to check it and pay the fees unless I ship it. Any ideas?
Firespyder

Burning Since: 2013

Postby junglesmacks » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:48 am

Take everything you can in one check in and one carry on. You can do it. Pay for one extra bag if need be. If you need to ship anything, either use the UPS store or FedEx Office both of which will hold things for you.

Fly, get food/water/etc in Reno. You can do it. WAY cheaper and less hassle than driving.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby Dr. Pyro » Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:57 am

I know last year several people shipped their stuff into Reno to the Sands Regency (taking advantage of the Barbie Death Village hotel deal naturally, and everything worked out fine. That way you don't have to schelp it back to wherever you're staying from Staples or the USPS. I know that's what I would do if I couldn't find someone to drive it out. The money you pay for the extra bags on the airlines pays for the cost of shipping and your room.
Dr. Pyro

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby Dr. Pyro » Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:58 am

Dr. Pyro wrote:I know last year several people shipped their stuff into Reno to the Sands Regency (taking advantage of the Barbie Death Village hotel deal naturally), and everything worked out fine. That way you don't have to schelp it back to wherever you're staying from Staples or the USPS. I know that's what I would do if I couldn't find someone to drive it out. The money you pay for the extra bags on the airlines pays for the cost of shipping and your room.
Dr. Pyro

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby Firespyder » Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:38 pm

Thanks guys! I'm going to do a prerun and see if I can get everything I would like in three bags (not holding my breath) I think I will ship it and look into the hotel room and have them hold it for me. I was leaning toward renting a box truck and going in with this as my main shelter. (the thread for box truck living is gold and confirms that you can live like a king)

Honestly I love a good road trip, and I feel better knowing I brought everything I needed. But unless there are a few heads pulling resources to make the trip to BRC then solo I shall be. So if anyone whats to team up in SoFlo... let me know! Or if any one needs a ride from reno into BM I plan to have more space going in than I need.
Firespyder

Postby junglesmacks » Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:35 am

Firespyder wrote:Thanks guys! I'm going to do a prerun and see if I can get everything I would like in three bags (not holding my breath) I think I will ship it and look into the hotel room and have them hold it for me. I was leaning toward renting a box truck and going in with this as my main shelter. (the thread for box truck living is gold and confirms that you can live like a king)

You've re-read through the thread and know about the new pricing and policies, right?

If you're going in a box truck, you can most definitely fit everything you need in two suitcases and a carry on. Very easily. A third checked bag will cost you an arm and a leg.
junglesmacks

Postby Firespyder » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:12 pm

So looks like the box truck idea might go do-do soon. Seems they have jacked the rates. Perhaps this will be a RV share from Reno thread soon? ....
Firespyder

Postby junglesmacks » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:29 pm

Rental car + tent camping FTW
junglesmacks

Postby BunBuns » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:12 pm

Takes too long to drive out of the sh!t funnel that is South Florida.

Flying out of FLL into SLC. We were planning on flying into Vegas, but wanted an RV and all the good ones were taken :evil: . So SLC to pick one up it is. It's only about 50 miles further drive to BRC than Vegas. If you fly Southwest, you get two free bags and a carry on and hey, they'll even throw in a prepackaged bag of cookies to boot. The more free bags, the better. It's an extra $35 - $75+ each in savings for more important stuff, cocktails!
BunBuns

Postby Firespyder » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:09 pm

BunBuns wrote:Takes too long to drive out of the sh!t funnel that is South Florida.

How true, 10 hour drive just to leave the state! I too will be leaving thru FLL but my hope was to land in Reno as I cant justify getting an RV just for myself. If I want a box truck it seems that I need to look outside of Reno as well as I appear to have missed the boat on this one.

Junglesamcks makes a compelling argument for renting a car and going with a tent...

junglesmacks wrote:Rental car + tent camping FTW

As elegant and convincing as this may be I had envisioned grand plans of constructing a monkey hut. Even with a fair size SUV carrying the PVC into BRC may become tricky. It concerns me because you never really know what car you are going to get till you get there.I guess I should plan for a minimalistic camp this go around since spare box truck space will probably be limited this year.

I have the resources and all the material needed to enjoy any elements in style but have absolutely no interest in any plug and play groups. Sadly distance is my obstical and I can only carry so much with me thought the airport. The sh!t funnel along with the highly entertaining view of nothing but desert and Texas trees (telephone poles) for a entire day makes me cringe and adds three days to my journey. Well if any others are planning on heading out though FLL to Reno perhaps a alliance can be formed. After all driving a car in by myself seems wasteful, not too keen on sharing an RV given the horror stories I've heard but if we could meet before hand perhaps I can be convinced. Thanks for all the info and hope to see you all out there!
Firespyder

Postby Savannah » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:32 pm

You can transport monkey hut poles with a cargo van or SUV. I believe the cargo van can actually get the poles inside, diagonally. (Figure out the interior's diagonal measurement to be sure.) With an SUV, the poles are generally going to have to be tied to the top of the vehicle, and cinching the poles together is not enough--capping both ends of the poles is a really good idea, so they don't shift and slide out on the highway. I've seen people use tarps to shut the ends.
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby trilobyte » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:23 pm

Yes, with cargo vans 10' poles should fit in easily. If the van has no center console, they'll fit in straight down the middle. If it does, or if it's a contractor van with a security wall, 10' poles will fit in diagonally.

If you're doing some other vehicle and putting poles on the roof, in addition to capping the end I'd recommend tying a rope around the bundle of poles at each end as well. You want to keep them bundled together as tightly as possible, then secure the bundle to the roof and you'll be good to go.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby PL_FL » Thu May 02, 2013 8:25 am

I’m in the south-florida-pit as well. I did the numbers for driving and it wouldn’t really be much cheaper, and we’re talking about like 8-10 days of driving in a 2-week period: My ass gets sore just thinking about it. I have a plan “A” and a plan “B”.

My plan “A” is flying to Vegas on Monday (already reserved an RV), driving to Fernley, staying in an RV camp Monday night (reserved), then driving to BRC on Tuesday. The return would be to stay in Fernley RV camp after exodus (reserved) then drive to Pahrump outside to Vegas to clean the RV, decompress, then catch a flight back to FLL . I don’t know about this because I need to split it 4 ways, and we only have 2 tickets so far… Damn.

My plan “B” is to say “f* it” and fly into Reno solo, rent an SUV, drop ship supplies to a Reno Walmart, and go from there.
"Nothing Is Written"
(Lawrence of Arabia: after he goes back into the Nefud Desert to rescue Gasim)
PL_FL

Postby tanj » Thu May 02, 2013 9:47 pm

I'm in Miami, having the same issues! It's my first time, and would hate to make the trip alone. I can definitely pitch in to get us there!
tanj

Postby MikeGyver » Thu May 02, 2013 10:22 pm

tanj wrote:I'm in Miami, having the same issues! It's my first time, and would hate to make the trip alone. I can definitely pitch in to get us there!

Check out the Rideshare board on the main website it might be a little early(never too early for logistics) but you can always make a listing.
The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair.
MikeGyver

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby Firespyder » Fri May 03, 2013 10:00 am

PL_FL wrote:I’m in the south-florida-pit as well. I did the numbers for driving and it wouldn’t really be much cheaper, and we’re talking about like 8-10 days of driving in a 2-week period: My ass gets sore just thinking about it.

My cost comparison includes lost work from needing more time off to make the drive. And I would assume a straight shot Santa Clause doesn't give any breaks ride all day all night to make it in three days. But I dont think anyone is really going to drive from here unless thay have art to transport. (with that said the living statue group out of Orlando is rumored to be sending a truck if anyone knows those peeps)

PL_FL wrote:My plan “A” is flying to Vegas on Monday (already reserved an RV), driving to Fernley, staying in an RV camp Monday night (reserved), then driving to BRC on Tuesday. The return would be to stay in Fernley RV camp after exodus (reserved) then drive to Pahrump outside to Vegas to clean the RV, decompress, then catch a flight back to FLL . I don’t know about this because I need to split it 4 ways, and we only have 2 tickets so far… Damn.

I wanted to do something similar but not go though Vegas as leaving BRC and going to Vegas may destroy the good buzz I was hoping to take back with me. I'd like to talk a little more but if we do they are going to tell us to start a new thread, or move this one. PM me if you want.

PL_FL wrote:My plan “B” is to say “f* it” and fly into Reno solo, rent an SUV, drop ship supplies to a Reno Walmart, and go from there.

This quickly turned to my plan "A" :(
Firespyder

Postby Firespyder » Fri May 03, 2013 11:39 am

Mrpatatomoto wrote:
tanj wrote:I'm in Miami, having the same issues! It's my first time, and would hate to make the trip alone. I can definitely pitch in to get us there!

Check out the Rideshare board on the main website it might be a little early(never too early for logistics) but you can always make a listing.

In truth the last two years have had little to nothing from Fl on the rideshare listings. I'm thinking of starting a new thread just to see if we can get a group of South Florida Street Freaks to meet in Reno or elsewhere and team up to go in somewhat together. After all a burn is a team sport! If there is any interest in a semi autonomous co-op from like minded Floridians let me know here and I will make a link here to a new thread.
Firespyder

Postby Said teh Bear » Mon May 06, 2013 8:22 pm

I'm glad I stumbled onto this post. I'm definitely not driving from Miami I dread going up state here.
I was looking into different ways to get to BM and even in the rideshares which lately have not been as reliable as I thought, but hey this is about being self reliance =) I'm slowly understanding that point right now as I type.
This is my first time heading out there and I need options incase 1 falls short.

This one rideshare post basically said RV already reserved, meet in SF for ride to and ride back. No response yet but that is an option with others are interested.
Its much cheaper to fly into SF than into Reno.
Only reason why I chose SF is so I can tour there for a few days after the Burn.

Firespyder have you made that new post for SoFlos ye, please link me.
Said teh Bear

Postby kattmartin » Mon May 27, 2013 12:43 pm

I have started a Facebook page for Atlanta burners going to BRC this year....no reason not to expand to the rest of the Southest to arrange ride share, shipping consolidation and other tips and tricks... https://www.facebook.com/groups/514282521971073/. Join the page and let's put our resources together!
kattmartin

Return to 2013 Share Resources