How to get our event in the book

Building art? Planning to perform? Building a stage or performance space? Talk about it here.

How to get our event in the book

Postby skylarburner » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:13 am

My fiance and I are getting married at Burning Man this year and we would like to put the event in the booklet handed out to everyone at the front gates. We are hoping to offer the gift of inviting people to share in the expression of our love. Does anyone know who to contact about getting an event put in the booklet? Thanks so much!!!
Burning Since: 2012

Re: How to get our event in the book

Postby trilobyte » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:01 pm

Sometime in June, the Playa Events Calendar will open up for participants to post their events. Everything that gets added goes into the guide that's on Burning Man's site and into a few different apps and calendars that people put together (the app-makers and calendar creators take their snapshots of data right before the gates open). Only a handful of the events manage to make it into the print version, space fills up quickly. Keep an eye on the Jack Rabbit Speaks newsletter, which will post when the calendar opens up for listings.
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby dragonpilot » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:26 pm

I absolutely love it that folks have playa weddings! That said, the only ones I've attended are those of people I know...or sorta know.

There are tons of playa weddings. Some are huge extravaganzas, most not...kinda depends on the size of one's playa entourage or camp. Most of the attendees get there by invitation or word of mouth...can't recall seeing one that made it to the WWW Book.

Unless yours has some sort of unique, never-been-done-before aspect to it that would pique the interest of the "Book" committee ensuring selection, I'd recommend coming up with an alternative announcement format...especially if it's your intent to have a large gathering. Maybe something on the order of 10,000 printed invitations with the promise of vodka jello shooters immediately following the ceremony.

Hope your event makes it to the book, but in the off chance that it doesn't, when and where do you plan to have it? I'll be there! (I luv jello shooters)
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.
Burning Since: 2005

Postby BBadger » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:04 pm

You should schedule it during Critical Dicks.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
Burning Since: I'm not sure

Events calendar

Postby Taz » Wed May 01, 2013 12:03 am

When will the events calendar for the www printed guide open up for submissions?
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Safer Sex

Re: Events calendar

Postby Savannah » Wed May 01, 2013 12:25 am

Submissions are typically accepted in mid-June. Last year, it was June 15th ~ July 1st.

Add yourself to the Jack Rabbit Speaks newsletter if you haven't. Last year they sent a newsletter announcing (among other things) the beginning of submissions to the What/When/Where Guide. ... lists.html
*** 2015 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

Postby Patamon » Thu May 16, 2013 5:14 pm

Anyone know when, or where, to submit events for this years (W)ho, (W)hat, (W)here, (W)hen ?

- Patamon

Postby trilobyte » Thu May 16, 2013 5:57 pm

The playa events calendar will open up in mid June, and the first 1500 or so listings will make it into the book. I'll merge this in with the other threads on the subject.
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby A-RockLeFrench » Thu May 16, 2013 8:18 pm

No really, does anyone know when registration for the WWW book opens? And where, who, what and how do I send it?

Also, how many times?
Shut the Fuck Up and Go To Burning Man.
Burning Since: 2010

Postby lucky420 » Fri May 17, 2013 7:14 am

It should be posted in the jrs. It's pretty easy to follow the instructions once the link is opened...
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Return to 2013 Art & Performance