AIDS Video Memorial Project: How to do this at Burning Man?

Building art? Planning to perform? Building a stage or performance space? Talk about it here.

AIDS Video Memorial Project: How to do this at Burning Man?

Postby wino2012 » Wed May 01, 2013 12:05 am

Hi - I have a volunteer project called AIDSvideos.org that makes HIV/AIDS prevention education videos and gives them away for free under a Creative Commons license. One of the things we do is interview people who are HIV+, family members of HIV+ people, doctors, caregivers, prevention educators, etc. and let them tell their stories in their own words. Since the Temple is about loss and remembering, it occurred to me that it might be good to let people who wanted to tell their stories (particularly their memories of friends and loved ones who passed away from HIV/AIDS) meet me at the temple and be filmed telling their stories. What's the appropriate way to go about such a project for Burning Man 2013?

I don't need any financial support. All I need to do is to communicate to people that they can meet me at the temple (or another location) on certain days at certain times if they want to tell their stories. I will watch Jack Rabbit Speaks for information about how to post information in the online and printed event calendars.

A practical constraint: filming outside can make it really hard to get good quality audio because of the problem of wind noise on the microphone. I'll look into getting a microphone with a wind noise shield. However, filming in a sheltered environment might work much better than filming outdoors. The question would then be: where could I do my "indoor" filming?

I am concerned that having people tell me their story and be filmed quietly in a corner inside the Temple might disturb others and might therefore be considered inappropriate.

Meeting at Center Camp and having people tell me their story there might be another option.

I am thinking about the idea of somehow bringing a temporary, folding enclosure that I could put up and take down each day and we could sit inside and film there. But there might be objections to doing such a thing within the Temple grounds. Perhaps I could set it up outside the Temple? It wouldn't be an "Art Installation" -- just a temporary enclosure I'd use to enable a person to tell their story without the wind causing a problem.

I could just walk around with a big AIDS red ribbon on a stick and let the curious flag me down. But this doesn't solve the "filming indoors" need.

Can anyone give me suggestions on how to do this optimally and appropriately? Thanks in advance!

P.S. You can see our web site at http://www.AIDSvideos.org or our YouTube channel at http://youtube.com/AIDSvideos if you'd like to get a feel for our work to date.
wino2012

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Camp Morningwood

Re: AIDS Video Memorial Project: How to do this at Burning M

Postby lemur » Wed May 01, 2013 2:35 am

Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby trilobyte » Wed May 01, 2013 8:19 am

Follow the link lemur posted, and contact someone to obtain permission to film for anything other than personal use. You'll also need to get in contact with the temple crew in order to get permission to shoot there, as well as get permission from those who'd appear, even in the background.

Personally, I'd find shooting at the temple very inappropriate. The temple isn't your set, or a place to push and promote agendas (regardless of what they are). Once you've got permission, build your own set structure at your own camp and then post notices at ARTery and Playa Info, as well as get some PSA's on the various radio stations once you're out there. If it's a good idea that people are interested in, you'll find no shortage of willing participants.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby lemur » Wed May 01, 2013 10:39 am

dont forget to bring your signed permission slip from your mommie, too. this IS burning man afterall
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Return to 2013 Art & Performance