Driving to BRC in my convertible!

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and mutant vehicles - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues. For ride and RV shares, please go to Share Resources.

Driving to BRC in my convertible!

Postby Grahamr83 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:58 am

So I've been trying to do as much research on playa in the vehicle, and I'm getting the gist that even if you're careful with windows being cracked and trying to close doors promptly, you're still gonna be taking home buckets of playa in your car.

So... Am I crazy to be taking my 1988 Toyota 4runner with the roof off. I figured the highway speeds home would help with the cleaning, but would this be opening a door (literally) to an unmanageable amount of playa in the truck to the point where it's starts causing problems? Or is it a safe idea?

Cheers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Grahamr83

Burning Since: 2013

Re: Driving to BRC in my convertible!

Postby Jackass » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:08 am

With the right kind of wind you could end up with that thing filled up to the bed rail on one side. Better bring a tarp.
Don't worry, it'll get weird...
Jackass

Postby TT120 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:10 am

I wouldn't do it. You'll bring home so much Playa dust, you'll be able to have a mini BM in your front yard. I'm still cleaning dust out of my truck from last year and I kept it sealed up tight.
Life's a bitch, then you go to Burning Man - Unjonharley

W6BJD
TT120

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Orphans Too

Postby Dr. Pyro » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:11 am

Grahamr83 wrote: So... Am I crazy to be taking my 1988 Toyota 4runner with the roof off

If you have to ask the question like that, don't you already know the answer?
Dr. Pyro

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby Rice » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:29 am

There will be playa dust, it is impossible to predict how much... My suv that I took to the burn in 2009 still has playa dust blow out of the A/C when I turn it on in the summer (I kept it closed the entire burn).

What if it rains for a couple hours?? Are you prepared to deal with an inch of caked on playa dust inside your entire vehicle?? (Playa dust is highly conductive if it gets wet and will trash your vehicle's electrical system)

It doesn't matter to me either way, I suggest you keep the top on.

Good Luck either way!
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."
Rice

Burning Since: 2007

Postby Captain Goddammit » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:39 am

I drive a convertible here in the "default world" and I totally get it about wanting to make the trip without the top... But DON'T DO IT!!
Playa dust is very corrosive too. The last two burns I used my super-nice '86 GMC crew-cab duallie - and I wish I hadn't. Everything underneath is now rusty.
It's not gonna self-clean by blowing out as you drive. And if the wrong dust storm hits, your rig will be LOADED with dirt.

If you were gonna carry extra shit in a trailer behind you ( a great idea anyway ) then you could carry your top on it and bolt it on prior to arrival on the playa... that's probably what I'd do, 'cuz I do love ragtops, I've done pretty long interstate road trips in mine top-down the whole way.
"Whaoomph! Whaomph! Burbbleburbblepattpattpattpatt... WHAAAAAaaoooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa........!!!"
Top fuel dragster, by Elliot Naess
Captain Goddammit

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp I'm going to Hawaii Instead

Postby Grahamr83 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:04 pm

So... Good idea? Hahaha. Thanks for the heads up.

I'm building a large MH to put my tent under as we'll as my truck and was planning on a tarp strapped down to close off the cab. And then getting detailed when I get home. But I hadn't thought the wind could move that much playa into the bed... So maybe it's back to the drawing boards. Thanks guys!
Grahamr83

Postby Rice » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:09 pm

In 2007 we had a 12 hour long dust storm. There were drifts of playa dust about 10 inches high (and about 10 feet long) beside my tent. I had about 1 inch of dust in the tent I was using (which was closed for the whole storm). Last year, a couple days after the burn we had a combo Dust & Rain storm that closed the entire city (including the road to the highway) for about 6 hours...

It is better to plan for wind, dust & rain. If it happens - no problem. If it doesn't happen - still ... No Problem

YMMV
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."
Rice

Burning Since: 2007

Postby trilobyte » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:21 pm

I say do it, the results would be hilarious!

The thing you need to remember is that it's not just the punishing sun and dust (like sand, except the consistency is closer to flour or talcum powder), but the alkali-rich dust is corrosive. Particles that fine will get into every nook and cranny, and the act of driving home fast on a highway won't get rid of it all. That said, give it a whirl if you like.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby Mojojita » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:57 pm

Also, putting a tarp over any vehicle is a bad idea if you value the paint - anywhere the tarp touches the paint is likely to act like sandpaper.
Ut ballista es interdico, tantum interdico mos fui ballista.
Mojojita

Postby Sham » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:38 pm

I'm with Trilo---DO IT!

Once you get the first layer of dust in your car, you are going to have to clean it anyway. Since it's your own car and not a rental, you will be much more comfortable making a mess. It will be quite a bit of work to clean the playa dust out, but I think that outweighs the pleasure you'll have by driving it with the top off.

Another thing to remember is that there are some spectacular artcars on the playa, and they need to be dusted off once they leave the playa. 8)
Sham

Postby Savannah » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:52 pm

Captain Goddammit wrote:I drive a convertible here in the "default world" and I totally get it about wanting to make the trip without the top... But DON'T DO IT!!
Playa dust is very corrosive too. The last two burns I used my super-nice '86 GMC crew-cab duallie - and I wish I hadn't. Everything underneath is now rusty.
It's not gonna self-clean by blowing out as you drive. And if the wrong dust storm hits, your rig will be LOADED with dirt.

If you were gonna carry extra shit in a trailer behind you ( a great idea anyway ) then you could carry your top on it and bolt it on prior to arrival on the playa... that's probably what I'd do, 'cuz I do love ragtops, I've done pretty long interstate road trips in mine top-down the whole way.

That's what I would do.
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:03 pm

trilobyte wrote:I say do it, the results would be hilarious!

That's the sort of wacky thinking that built Burningman.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby MikeGyver » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:55 pm

As someone who also daily driver convertibles, what I would do is get a good thick canvas and cut it to size and use it as a cover that you can put on once you park, If you dont value the paintjob you can just wrap a tarp around it when you get there and that will keep most of it out but something that seals the bed and cab opening would be better in the long run. No matter what you do there will be dust inside so if you want to drive it with the top off just plan ahead and have a way to cover it and you shouldnt have too much of a problem. Or you could go the easy way and put the top on. The easy way is never as fun.
The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair.
MikeGyver

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby Grahamr83 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:04 am

theCryptofishist wrote:
trilobyte wrote:I say do it, the results would be hilarious!

That's the sort of wacky thinking that built Burningman.

I think you and I are going to get along just fine!!

I'm opting for a tightly sealed mini MH, cut, sewn, and sealed on 4 sides down to the ground with extra flaps to burry or put under sandbags. Wish me luck.
Grahamr83

Postby mudpuppy000 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:32 pm

It's going to get fucked up as soon as you get off the highway. Sealing it up when you get to camp isn't going to work. Gate lines can be 4+ hours with tons of vehicles kicking up dust, and possibility of "real" dust storms too.
mudpuppy000

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Orphan Endorphin

Postby Savannah » Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:59 pm

Quite true. Gate lines may come to a standstill in the event of a really epic storm. They won't let people drive even just to camp, if visibility is truly terrible.

My rideshare likes to shut all the windows and vents on his trailer by Gerlach.
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Postby ygmir » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:31 pm

Savannah wrote:Quite true. Gate lines may come to a standstill in the event of a really epic storm. They won't let people drive even just to camp, if visibility is truly terrible.

My rideshare likes to shut all the windows and vents on his trailer by Gerlach.

don't you get hot in there?
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Camp Name: qqqq

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:52 pm

Ygmir--
That's Savannah. She's always hot.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Postby ygmir » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:08 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:Ygmir--
That's Savannah. She's always hot.

I can be so daft..................

I had not even considered, any sort of hot, glistening skin, sweat beading, tiny droplets gaining speed and they flow along the muscle cut lines of her physique, each taking it's own path, gaining size and speed as it couples with it's kind, along its integumentary path and yet so many focusing........the damp hair........the deep breathing, yearning for cool air, only betrayed by her heaving thorax grasping at the hot atmosphere of the enclosed, dark and mysterious trailer, therein ensconced.
And the wry smile, tested, but saved, for an eventual rescuer, the impromptu hero of that luscious moment to come, so anticipated, so needed, so primal in it's gravity and import.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Camp Name: qqqq

Postby Dr. Pyro » Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:59 am

...pardon me while I run off to take a shower...
Dr. Pyro

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby DrYes » Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:15 am

Last year, took our new RAV4 to the playa. Not sure what some of you are doing differently, but despite being there for 8 days, through many dust storms, we barely had any playa dust in the car when we returned. There was a very very light layer of it, more like the inside just hadn't been dusted off in a couple months, which all cleaned up easily and quickly.

What we did was:
1. Once everything was unloaded, we taped up all the seams in the car with gaffer's tape, including the air intakes.
2. We each left a pair of shoes in the car that never touched the playa, and ensured we'd have a set of clothing to leave in that we didn't wear out and about on the playa.
3. Before leaving, I covered everything behind the front seats with plastic tarping.
4. We tried to make sure that none of the bins we carry things to BM in ever touched the playa (going straight from car to RV).
5. We didn't run A/C during entry or exit.
6. When it was time to leave, we untaped the seams, loaded the back of the car with the aforementioned bins, changed into our reserve clothing, and while sitting in the car, took off our playa-fied shoes, put them in a bag, and put on the reserve, clean shoes. Shut the door, and off we go.

A little vinegar and a rag cleaned the interior of the car in 10 minutes when we got back. Took a couple runs through a full-on car wash to get playa off the bottom of the car. The only thing that bugs me is that it's too hard to thoroughly clean an engine without disassembling it (way beyond either my skill or desire), but our mechanic services a bunch of cars that go to the playa and he thought it came through quite well.
Burning Man 2013 video || Burning Man 2013 photos
Burning Man 2012 video
Burning Man 2011 video

"We'll never leave, look at us now, so in love with the way we are."
DrYes

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Camp Tasty Bits (w/ the Stimulus Tree)

Postby Captain Goddammit » Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:42 am

Grahamr83 wrote:
I'm opting for a tightly sealed mini MH, cut, sewn, and sealed on 4 sides down to the ground with extra flaps to burry or put under sandbags. Wish me luck.

I had friends who were first-timers following me in 2001 and the dust storm was so severe as we entered the playa they were seriously going to turn around and go home. It took a lot of convincing that it wasn't going to be total hell all week.
Your nice-looking rig would have been loaded with dirt pretty badly by the time you got through the line, past the gate, through the greeters, and to your camp.

It boils down to whether that truck of yours is as nice as it appears to be (it looks awful nice in the photo!) and how much you care about it getting trashed. If you normally drive it top-down on dusty trails anyway, it won't be too traumatic; however Savannah and Mudpuppy are right about the amount of playa you could take on during entry and exit.
If that's simply not a big deal to you, then I can totally see heading to BRC open-air style.
I've brought art cars (back when art cars could drive at BRC) that had their roofs cut off, and they lived. My "Mutant Vehicle" Land Yacht is open-air, it survives the playa dust just fine. I bring an air compressor and blow it out every day and call it good.

Do they make a folding rag-top for the 4-Runner? Now that would be the shit! Top-down all the way, put up the canvas as soon as you exit the pavement onto the playa.
"Whaoomph! Whaomph! Burbbleburbblepattpattpattpatt... WHAAAAAaaoooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa........!!!"
Top fuel dragster, by Elliot Naess
Captain Goddammit

Camp Name: Camp I'm going to Hawaii Instead

Postby mudpuppy000 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:52 pm

DrYes wrote:Last year, took our new RAV4 to the playa. Not sure what some of you are doing differently, but despite being there for 8 days, through many dust storms, we barely had any playa dust in the car when we returned. There was a very very light layer of it, more like the inside just hadn't been dusted off in a couple months, which all cleaned up easily and quickly.

The OP doesn't have a roof at all (at least that's how I read it). A cloth top seems like it would work pretty well.
mudpuppy000

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Orphan Endorphin

Postby lemur » Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:51 pm

Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Return to Transportation