Bicycle question, three-wheelers??

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and mutant vehicles - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues. For ride and RV shares, please go to Share Resources.

Re: Bicycle question, three-wheelers??

Postby Elorrum » Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:37 pm

ooowheee Martiansky, that is a sweet looking trike! fat tires, and granny sprocket up front. I like the low frame, and pedal forward design.
What's the name of the act? The Aristocrats.
Elorrum

Postby Martiansky » Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:38 pm

Why thank you very much Elorrum!
I took inspiration from your ride which I think is very cool!
I'm going to try to use a 3 speed cluster in the back with a derailler.
The cranks that came on the bike are kind of short and I may switch them out for a longer set.

I meant to ask you what the pipes were that were behind the seat of your trike? Swamp cooler?
So the theme this year is like a giant camp out in the desert? With people bringing lots of shit from all over? uh.. -Marscrumbs
Martiansky

Burning Since: 2005

Postby Elorrum » Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:50 pm

Those are speakers. PVC pipe with a 2" full range driver at the top. I'm not sure if the photo is clear there, but there's a black bucket that has a subwoofer in it. This year I want to make an actual trunk that houses it all, and has storage room too.
Elorrum

Postby Martiansky » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:17 am

Elorrum wrote:Those are speakers. PVC pipe with a 2" full range driver at the top. I'm not sure if the photo is clear there, but there's a black bucket that has a subwoofer in it. This year I want to make an actual trunk that houses it all, and has storage room too.

I can see a container of sorts in the basket but didn't know its use.
I can see a mug(I think) and .....a pink wheel?

At first I didn't think the frame I used would work out and then I hooked up the trike kit and sat on the seat.....the seat to crank to handlebar alignment actually turned out to be very comfortable and easy to step over to get on, too.
I found the frame, tires, tubes, seatpost and pedals on *b*y.
So the theme this year is like a giant camp out in the desert? With people bringing lots of shit from all over? uh.. -Marscrumbs
Martiansky

Postby Elorrum » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:00 pm

pink wheel... that's my garden tape, for guerilla, or friendly, guy rope marking.
Elorrum

Postby Martiansky » Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:35 pm

Elorrum wrote:pink wheel... that's my garden tape, for guerilla, or friendly, guy rope marking.

Oops!
LOL
Thats a good idea to have the marking tape with.

So you have a radio on your trike?
Nice!
Martiansky

Postby unjonharley » Tue May 07, 2013 2:02 pm

FIGJAM!! How much dose the small wheel (on your trike) plow into the dust dunes.

Thinking of making a side by side w/one fork.. 20 inch w/12 inch front wheel.. It's what I have laying around the place..
unjonharley

Postby FIGJAM » Tue May 07, 2013 3:31 pm

I think my front wheel is 10"x4" and hasn't plowed in at all, but there was only about 10 pounds of weight on it.

It will be interesting to see how it does with that 80 pound battery on it now.

The powder at saguaro man was worse than anything I've hit on the playa (6" to 12") and it didn't really sink that much, but I still stayed mainly on the packed paths. 8)
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby unjonharley » Tue May 07, 2013 4:10 pm

Good to know.. I'll plan to make the side by side longer so the front is lighter..

I have heavy aluminum channel from a RV roll out shade struts.. So far have one chair like yours.. Need two more cranks.

when turning the rider on the inside of the turn will have to defer to the other correct? .
unjonharley

Postby FIGJAM » Tue May 07, 2013 4:43 pm

That's beyond my tech skills.

Elliot will know! 8)
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby Elliot » Wed May 08, 2013 6:54 pm

Whoa, I still have jet lag. You are asking what? Let's see.... With two riders, each powering one wheel side by side, the riders will want to pay just a tiny bit of attention to turns, yes. But this happens naturally -- no worries. And it can be very much to advantage, as you can help the vehicle turn sharply by powering only one side. We use this trick to great advantage in Kinetic Sculpture Racing, such as in the 90 degree turn on top of the sand dune in Corvallis.

With a trike that drives on one wheel, you can make sharp turns only in one direction. Try it the other way and the whole vehicle will "lock up". Gentle turns are fine either direction.
Elliot's Bicycle Service, Camel Saddlery and Beverage Salon 5 & G as before, probably.
Ali Elliot Fy Fasan, proprietor

Caravansary Black Rock 2014

ImageImageImage
Millicent The Bus; pedal-vehicles on Playa and in Kinetic Sculpture Races.
Elliot

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle & Beverage Emporium

Postby unjonharley » Wed May 08, 2013 7:10 pm

So running two coaster brakes drive wheel the inside rider would not notice the slow down?.. Or it would be harder to peddle the wheel on the inside of the turn?..

The inside wheel has to turn slower
unjonharley

Postby Elliot » Wed May 08, 2013 7:16 pm

For normal turns, the two riders would pedal at slightly different speeds. This happens by itself -- no significant concentration required. For sharp turns, the inside rider would refrain from pedaling.
Elliot's Bicycle Service, Camel Saddlery and Beverage Salon 5 & G as before, probably.

ImageImageImage
Elliot

Postby unjonharley » Wed May 08, 2013 7:21 pm

I asked Figjam if the smaller wheel in front would plow going through dust dunes.

What say you? I plan o a little more length to keep the front lighter..
unjonharley

Postby Elliot » Wed May 08, 2013 7:40 pm

Lighter, schmighter....

:wink:

ImageImageImage
Elliot

Postby unjonharley » Wed May 08, 2013 7:45 pm

Elliot, are you going to haul your junk up to Corvallie this year.. Try to get some more from CA.. These guy up here are getting dull.. Need some spark..
unjonharley

Postby Elliot » Wed May 08, 2013 7:49 pm

Yeah, I expect to be there. Don't know yet what vehicle I will race, but I'll be in it. Third weekend of July as usual.

ImageImageImage
Elliot

Postby Shoeshine » Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:09 am

OK got the build started using that Schwinn meridian and the wheelchair motor. Drivetrain clearly needs to work so I start here. Motor mounted nicely to the frame where the basket would sit using a scrap of aluminum bar stock. ( still have to shim it a little to tighten up the chain)

plenty of room on the rear axle to add a sprocket and adapter. nice thing is that it lets me use a freewheel so that the motor will kick in when I hit the switch but freewheels when I am pedaling/coasting so damn near no resistance other than weight. shout out to http://www.staton-inc.com for some hard to find parts.

Next to build the battery box and controller mount

Thx all... wouldn't have taken this on without the sage advice and dumb questions answered here.

Shoe
Shoeshine

Postby Elliot » Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:12 am

Shoeshine wrote: shout out to http://www.staton-inc.com for some hard to find parts.

I second this notion. Staton has a treasure trove of parts, such as freewheel adapters in many sizes, and they always ship quickly.

ImageImageImage
Elliot

Postby Zhust » Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:33 am

Also, this: BikeShack.com's trike freewheel adapter:
1017-6702199.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
May your deeds return to you tenfold,
---Zhust, Curiosityist
Zhust

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Camp CampCampCamp

Postby Elliot » Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:45 am

:D
Nice.

That freewheel adapter, #6702199, is for 15 millimeter shaft. They also have #6702200 which they show to be for 5/8 inch shaft. There may have been some confusion in the industry about these Sun part numbers over the years, so you may want to specify the shaft size when ordering the Sun brand. I'm pretty sure I bought them for 3/4 inch shaft from J&B Importers some years ago, but the number escapes me. I want to say 6702200, but my own notes contradict me. Just be aware that confusion is possible. I once ordered a handful from some bicycle-related company and received a random mix of two sizes. Staton seems to have a better grip on things.

Until recent years these adapters were hard enough to find that I had 100 of them, in 3/4 inch size, made by a machine shop. That batch did not last long! Now, between Staton and others, they are readily available, and Staton has them all the way up to 1 inch shaft size.

Atomic Zombie also has some such parts, including freewheel adapters with disc brake flange -- kind'a like Jason's clever part.

If you want something really unique, I could refer you to the machine shop I used. They are accustomed to fancy bicycle parts.

I also have a professional blueprint for a basic freewheel adapter, which I can post if you want to see it. It is no magic -- all you really need is the thread, which is 1.375 inch x 24 threads per inch.

If anybody wants a recumbent seat, with a sturdy backrest, and very adjustable, you might consider the one on the EZ-1 recumbent bicycle -- part number 86724, if my notes are correct. They cost close to $150.-, but we love them in Kinetic Sculpture Racing. I get them from A-P Bicycles in Lake Placid, Florida.

ImageImageImage
Elliot

Postby Zhust » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:03 am

I had 10 of these Sturmey-Archer-style Sprocket to ISO Disc Brake Mount Adapters CNC'ed for a project and have used 2 so far:

4efa0dff850f4_58370n.jpg

I have a store online for them if you want to Google it...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
---Zhust, Curiosityist
Zhust

Postby Elliot » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:29 am

It is amazing that the notches for the sprocket line up with the rotor bolt holes. Coincidence? Ancient British curse? (More likely the latter. :lol: )

Your price seems awful steep, but I guess the market decides. It is a good thing somebody bothers to have such parts made.

ImageImageImage
Elliot

Postby Zhust » Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:42 pm

Elliot wrote:Your price seems awful steep, but I guess the market decides. It is a good thing somebody bothers to have such parts made.

Meh. If you want one, PM me and I'll just send you one: the price is mostly because I don't intend on making a business out of selling them. I could theoretically make more and get the price down, but the market doesn't seem to exist, since welding an old sprocket onto a hub seems to be fine with most everyone. :)
---Zhust, Curiosityist
Zhust

Postby Elliot » Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:53 pm

Thanks, Jason, that's very generous. (But I don't have a use for one at this time.) I like it when hobbyists are able to do this sort of thing for each other. The 100 freewheel adapters I had made cost me $12.70 each, and I sold them for $15.-. The more people can afford to play, the more we all enjoy it. :D

ImageImageImage
Elliot

Postby Canoe » Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:59 pm

I will have a need of such an adapter (paid a machinist to braze two parts and machine, but he machined the mounting holes off center...). It appears that I can get a 14T on yours. It's for a project (I'm doing a mid-mount N360 and driving the rear wheel off of its disc mount) that's on hold until I have more funds available, but for future reference, can it mount on the disc plate of a Nuvinci N360 and clear the dropouts?

NuVinci N360 drafting sm.jpg
*** http://www.burningman.com/preparation/ ***
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.
“Dear subscriber, you are registered as a participant in a mass disturbance.”
Canoe

Postby Zhust » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:27 am

Canoe wrote:can it mount on the disc plate of a Nuvinci N360 and clear the dropouts?

I actually mounted one to a N360. Here's an image of the drawing I made so you can check the details yourself. I think the center bore was too small for the plastic ring on the Nuvinci but I didn't need it anyway.

2011523 3-Point Sprocket Adapter.png
---Zhust, Curiosityist
Zhust

Postby Canoe » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:43 am

Thank you!
Looks like it's depth of 0.500" will come in around 12.7 mm where I have 16mm clearance. I could even shim it out 1 or 2 mm to get the maximum chain clearance past fat tires.
I'm going to go throw that into my drawings.
I believe that dome is 1.25" at the disc mounting surface, so the 1" bore isn't quite enough and would have to be trimmed on the inboard side. I wasn't aware that dome was plastic and could be deleted. Would make things even easier. Time to pull the hub out.
*** http://www.burningman.com/preparation/ ***
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.
“Dear subscriber, you are registered as a participant in a mass disturbance.”
Canoe

Previous

Return to Transportation