virgins from UK

virgins from UK

Postby michaela99 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:53 am

Hello all, we are 2 burning man virgins travelling from the Uk this year :-) new to BM although my Sister travelled from the Uk 5 years ago and met her (now husband) there! After many years deliberating cost/logistics my partner and I decided to make it a reality and got our tickets for this year.

We plan to fly to SF where we will stay for a couple of days, then drive to BM. We were originally planning of camping on our own. We have arranged everything we can this end, including buying bikes in Reno - but its so difficult as we are so limited in what we can bring with us from the UK. We are only going to have a couple of days in SF in which to buy EVERYTHING we are going to need and im panicking! I know its doable and people do it every year and I like to think of myself as a pretty organised person......but....AAARGGGHHHH! Any other Uk/other based burners got any good tips advice for us? What to bring/buy in states etc?

Thankyou in advance :) Mik & Pablo x
michaela99

Burning Since: 2013

Re: virgins from UK

Postby Milayna » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:52 am

Welcome!

If you have a few days to buy stuff you'll be totally fine. Plan out a shade structure and just buy the materials once you get to San Fran or Reno. The key is going to be lists!! Before you leave have a grocery store list, a target/walmart list, and a Home Depot/Lowes list. Then once you arrive just go to each store and get all the stuff you need. Read around on eplaya for good shade ideas, I'm partial to the monkey hut personally :)
Milayna

Burning Since: 2012

Postby michaela99 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:20 am

thankyou :) yes ive been reading about the monkey hut, looks very doable :) spending hours trawling through the forums for tips and ideas and getting very excited! xx
michaela99

Postby dragonpilot » Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:40 pm

To save driving weight we usually wait to purchase our major food items and water until we're well on our way to the event. A checklist of preferred food/beverage items saves enroute shopping time. If you go with a monkey hut, the components can be purchased with ease at big box hardware stores like Home Depot or Lowe's. Suitable coolers and tentage can be purchased at Target or Wal-Mart.

Management of perishables takes some skill keeping things from getting soaked with melt water, but can be done. Don't forget, ice in crushed or block form can be purchased at the event ($3 per 8# crushed/10# block).

If you're coming in from SFO via Reno, take the extra time to top off your auto's fuel tank in Gerlach. If you're caught in long lines getting in and out of the event it's easy to run out of gas.

Everyone experiences some level of discomfort at this event given the harsh environment, but what the hey, it's Burning Man!
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.
dragonpilot

Burning Since: 2005

Postby Savannah » Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:12 pm

Welcome Michaela99! :D This is a good thread for you to read.

Costs & Logistics of Flying to Reno
viewtopic.php?t=52826&p=770401

Feel free to reply in that thread once you've read it (if needed) which will bump it up to the top of the forum so other people in your circumstances can read/respond. It ultimately builds a better resource. The more unusual your question, the happier people are to answer it. :)

"A few days in SF" is plenty, even it seems scary--and you will wanna be efficient. SF is Burner central!
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby michaela99 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:54 am

thankyou for all your replies :) x
michaela99

Postby Elderberry » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:18 am

Hey there, welcome to eplaya!
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
Elderberry

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Return to Introduce Yourself!