Medical issues art

Building art? Planning to perform? Building a stage or performance space? Talk about it here.

Medical issues art

Postby flighty » Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:39 pm

Ok guys hear me out. I'm type I diabetic, and I wanna make some sort of insulin/autoimmune disease/medical condition/syringe/immune system interactive art this year. Nothing major, since it's just me doin it and it's my first year making something, but I was wondering if you seasoned burners have any advice or ideas for me.

One thing I was thinking of was a giant syringe made of wood and rebar, with cc marks on it like a real syringe - I'd provide sharpies and people could "fill up" a cc or two with any sort of representation of a medical condition they deal with on the playa (I'd fill up a couple with pictures of or words about checking my blood sugar, taking insulin shots, keeping my supplies out of the sun and clean, etc.) Then, of course, I'd burn it and allll that shit those of us whose bodies are failing us have to deal with on a daily basis. My one problem with this is that a syringe isn't super inclusive of lots of people's issues. Perhaps a giant pill? But that would look boring and would be way less fun to build...also I don't take pills for my disease and this is my project, damnit!

Anyway, ideas? Thoughts? Major problems I'm overlooking? (besides all the stuff about building and burning on the playa, I've read all the instructions, thank you!)
flighty

Burning Since: 2012

Re: Medical issues art

Postby tattoogoddess » Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:51 am

It is YOUR art piece. Build it to how you see fit and what make YOU happy.
maladroit- Burning Man is like a second job, except you pay to work there.
Burning Man is just the pre party for exodus! - fellow burner during exodus
http://burnon.wix.com/bloodbathandbeyond
tattoogoddess

Camp Name: bloodbath and beyond

Postby tamarakay » Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:26 am

Great advice TG. I think this is a fabulous idea. Keep us posted on your progress!
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man Token

http://www.dyewithdignity.com
tamarakay

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity at BDC

Postby PhoenixFemmeFatale » Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:47 am

Don't let fear stunt your creativity. Create and do whatever YOU like. If your heart is in it and the piece 'speaks' to you it will appeal to others as well. Good luck!
"I hitched a ride with a vending machine repair man
He says he's been down this road more than twice
He was high on intellectualism
I've never been there but the brochure looks nice"
PhoenixFemmeFatale

Burning Since: 2013

Postby GreyCoyote » Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:45 pm

I'm just jawboning here, but how about this: Put-up a tightrope (a whopping 12 inches above the ground for safety reasons) and surround it with stuffed-but-fierce-looking Playa Gators. (Maybe do this out by the boardwalk for the whole "water" motif?) Have bystanders throw beach balls at the blindfolded walker. Make it across the rope and you get a cookie. Anyone who doesn't make it, gets "shot" (or something). Maybe you can make some soft, throwable syringes out of foam or something?

Dunno, but this would be representative of what you do every day as a diabetic!
"Give me an underground laboratory, a half a dozen atom smashers, and a beautiful girl in a diaphanous veil waiting to be turned into a chimpanzee, and I care NOT who writes this nations laws"!
GreyCoyote

Burning Since: 2000

Postby flighty » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:18 pm

Ooh GreyCoyote I really love that idea! I hope someday to have a camp full of diabetics (and friends, family, others with related/similar issues, diabetes-fetishists, etc.) and that's an awesome activity (actually, not just for the playa.)

Everyone else, thanks for the support! I'm looking forward to burning the shit out of a big needle full of frustrations, complaints, wishes, dreams, and stories inspiring and sad. :D
flighty

Postby lothos 1162 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:02 am

Hey wait I'm a type 2 diabetic. I know there has to be others who attend. Diabetic story time and share snacks. Yum we could roast suger free marshmellows, how tasty.
lothos 1162

Postby flighty » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:14 am

Hey lothos! I we can round up some more people I'd be stoked to do some events. I'll PM a few others I've seen on here. And if you know any other diaburners let them know there are more of us! (And direct them to this thread, and the one below.) (sorry I'm on my phone and can't write fancy embedded links.)

viewtopic.php?f=95&t=64118
flighty

Postby Savannah » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:05 pm

flighty wrote:My one problem with this is that a syringe isn't super inclusive of lots of people's issues. Perhaps a giant pill? But that would look boring and would be way less fun to build...also I don't take pills for my disease and this is my project, damnit!

Anyway, ideas? Thoughts? Major problems I'm overlooking? (besides all the stuff about building and burning on the playa, I've read all the instructions, thank you!)

Yep, follow your instincts, there. I think you've gotta make the art piece that really speaks to you, rather than the one that may (or may not) delight the greater number of people . . . because your interest in it makes you more likely to complete it and enjoy the process of doing so, and when you make the thing you really want to make, and someone else is admiring of it or touched by it, that experience is hard to top.

And if--for whatever reason--you don't make a connection with another human over the piece, it'll probably still feel really good to Burn it. :)
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Postby RyanZwicker » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:43 pm

Hey Flighty,

Super interested in the idea of a diabetic piece. I'm out of Nova Scotia so the only help i can add is a little bit of a surface to bounce ideas off of until an idea is born. After that then possibly some help in getting it to existence where possible. Being a insulin dependent i can dream up a few ideas pertaining to my life specifically, thoughts about being able to overcome some of my complications like blood pressure issues and nerve damage would make for an interesting visual for sure. I work in e-learning and love anything interactive amongst people either together or working separate as a community. Something like having some sort of message board for diabetics to check out as burning man goes on for helpful hints, experiences and possibly a Q/A of some sort at the event might be an interesting spin also. What ever you think of, make it your passion, then run with it. Seeing something like this on the event would feel amazing for sure. Would love to help where i can and with any luck through STEP get the opportunity to see it in person this year.
RyanZwicker

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:26 pm

But a syringe is funny.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby trilobyte » Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:35 am

Sounds like a great project, and it would be fascinating to see how the syringe got 'filled up' (lots of different issues and perspectives out there). Personally I'd stick to making it more art and less information kiosk (as had been suggested earlier), that kind of stuff often comes off with a 'burning epcot' kind of vibe to me. Regardless of what you choose, good luck and have fun!
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby GreyCoyote » Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:43 am

Its a good point, Trilo. Maybe just turn it into dodgeball-on-a-rope and place it next to a bar-camp. The diabetic burners would have a private giggle and the rest of the world would see the overt fun.
"Give me an underground laboratory, a half a dozen atom smashers, and a beautiful girl in a diaphanous veil waiting to be turned into a chimpanzee, and I care NOT who writes this nations laws"!
GreyCoyote

Postby trilobyte » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:41 pm

I liked the idea that flighty originally posted, how people would 'fill up' the syringe with representations of the conditions that they deal with. That could make for some interesting interactivity, and it might be interesting to see what turns up. That might be something to consider trying to get placed within the center camp cafe (check the JRS, I think the call has already gone out for submissions). They get a ton of traffic and probably a broad section of participants passing through.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby Savannah » Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:41 pm

trilobyte wrote:I liked the idea that flighty originally posted, how people would 'fill up' the syringe with representations of the conditions that they deal with. That could make for some interesting interactivity, and it might be interesting to see what turns up. That might be something to consider trying to get placed within the center camp cafe (check the JRS, I think the call has already gone out for submissions). They get a ton of traffic and probably a broad section of participants passing through.

Agreed--possibly welcoming to a wide range of health issues, while still remaining especially meaningful to diabetics.
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Postby flighty » Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:05 pm

Thank you guys SO MUCH. I can't tell you how much the support means. I'm not going to stress about getting it to center camp, but if the option's still available when I really sit down and start planning tomorrow I'll definitely go for it.
flighty

Return to 2013 Art & Performance