NEED 1 TICKET TO SPREAD MY MOTHER'S ASHES!!

Looking for tickets? Post about it here.

NEED 1 TICKET TO SPREAD MY MOTHER'S ASHES!!

Postby monica228 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:34 pm

My Mother passed away unexpectedly March 26, 2013, and she wanted her ashes to go to Burning Man. She could never attend in life because she had severe asthma and the playa dust was too much for her to handle. If she was unable to attend in life, then she wanted her and her and her black Lab Sidney's ashes placed and ultimately burned in the temple.
She was a talented artist and art teacher that inspired a generation of Southern youngsters, and I want to honor her bohemian spirit by carrying out her wish.

I need one ticket to realize her dying wish.

Thank you,

Monica
monica228

Burning Since: 2013

Re: NEED 1 TICKET TO SPREAD MY MOTHER'S ASHES!!

Postby BBadger » Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:50 pm

Kind of weird your mother wanting her ashes spread at some event she never attended. Probably some false impressions she had about it all.

It's also not that imperative... BM and the ashes aren't going anywhere. You can always go another year.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:10 pm

1. Take your keyboard off all caps. It's like blood in the water to us.
2. Bbadger's right, the ashes will keep.
3. Seriously, whatever pain and urgency you may feel about this, you're coming across as yet another in the long line of people who come here with some high dramatics needing tickets. You've got four months to find them. You can spend some time making your internet posts less over the top.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Claymore » Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:20 pm

Mom sounds moopy.
Claymore

Postby Savannah » Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:39 pm

Hey Monica. Try not to be too crushed if you're actually a straight shooter--it ain't personal. We've heard a lot of interesting ticket pleas over the years.

Tell everyone you know that you're looking--friends, family, co-workers, etc. Sign up for STEP on the main site. Look under "Regionals" at the top right of the main site and join the regional mailing lists and Facebook lists for your area--Burners like to sell to other Burners, especially ones they've met Read about the OMG sale in August. Get your time off, save your money, and make your packing lists, so that when people freak out and flood the market with tickets in late July and August (as they just might) . . . you'll be ready. Good luck.
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby Elorrum » Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:45 pm

Monica, I'm sorry for your very recent loss. As the event gets closer, peoples plan's change and tickets become available. There will be a sale in August of 1,000 more tickets, and the STEP program resells tickets that are put back in to the system. Sign up for everything ticket related that is on the official website.
What's the name of the act? The Aristocrats.
Elorrum

Postby jkisha » Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:48 am

Disappointing. I was expecting way more snark.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby ygmir » Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:56 am

jkisha wrote:Disappointing. I was expecting way more snark.

see if it makes page 2
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Camp Name: qqqq

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:41 am

If she comes back and whines, believe me, I'll jump.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby Milayna » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:29 am

I can relate to what you're feeling Monica. My mother was also an artist and passed away before she could get to Burning Man. One of my campmates has a similar story regarding her father. Make your plans as if you are definitely going this year, sign up for STEP, keep your eye on the "tickets offered" thread on eplaya, and be ready for the last minute sale in early August. While it is okay to ask for tickets on here, it is definitely not the best way to secure a ticket. You will have the best luck proactively finding yourself a ticket. Good luck!! :)
Milayna

Burning Since: 2012

Postby Dr. Pyro » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:33 am

I didn't think dead people needed a ticket. Jeeze, the BMOrg will do anything to squeeze a few more bucks out of us.
Dr. Pyro

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby Captain Goddammit » Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:51 pm

Oh shit Doc, is that what this means? I better start a ticket-beggin' thread of my own, I am bringing several dead people this year.
"Whaoomph! Whaomph! Burbbleburbblepattpattpattpatt... WHAAAAAaaoooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa........!!!"
Top fuel dragster, by Elliot Naess
Captain Goddammit

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp I'm going to Hawaii Instead

Postby Roberto Dobbisano » Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:50 pm

im sure they'll be grateful...
one nation, under a groove.
Roberto Dobbisano

Postby katy potaty » Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:09 pm

My dad actually went to Burning Man while in his 70's. He died two years ago in June, just before our first burn. He lived in Reno and we had all kinds of plans to visit before and after. The planning was great and brought us more together. After his death I had no more contact with his wife, although one of her friends brought his ashes to the temple-we weren't invited. I found spending time at the temple, even without his remains, to be amazingly cathartic, maybe especially since I wasn't offered an opportunity for any other form of communal mourning.

Katy
katy potaty

Burning Since: 2011

Postby BBadger » Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:16 pm

I'd probably be more receptive if the OP stated that she wanted the ticket to go for some funeral rite for her own self, rather than portray it as some dying wish of her dead mother that really didn't know what it was about.

What would've made the whole story even more over-the-top is if the OP claimed that her mother demanded in her will that if the mother's remains were not left at the temple after death there would be no inheritance. Even better if there was a stipulation of no cremation!
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:00 pm

What getsme...
1 She passed away suddenly, but expressed a dying wish.
2 Payment status is unclear. Miracle? Full price? If it's not a miracle, why the hurry now...
3 Most, albeit not all, asthmatics actually do very well on the playa. No nasty biologicals. If only Mom had done her research better...

Only a month into grief is likely to be tough territory, though.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby Mojojita » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:25 pm

Has anyone done the research to see if it is legal to spread human and canine cremains on the playa? I'm pretty sure I don't want Mom or Fido up my nose in a good blow.
Ut ballista es interdico, tantum interdico mos fui ballista.
Mojojita

Postby gyre » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:40 pm

Too late.
gyre

Postby Milayna » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:20 pm

There were a lot of ashes at the temple, so at least in that spot I think it's okay.
Milayna

Postby Dr Helix » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:29 pm

This OP bothers me. I know it's probably a troll, but geez. You're using your dead mother as a way to ask for a ticket? Is there no decency left? I don't care if you're paying for it or not. It just makes my heart sick. My apologies if this seems harsh but I just don't like it.
"Love, Rockets and write when you get work"
Dr Helix

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Interaction Cafe

Postby burningsince99 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:54 pm

monica -
I'm sorry about your mother. Please dont think that all burningman people are rude. If I end up with an extra ticket I will PM you.
Im from the north east, and despite the "yankees" having a long history of being rude, my experience suggests that California people are the rudest on the planet, well, maybe some French people.

sorry for your loss, hope you find a ticket.
burningsince99

Burning Since: 1999

Postby monica228 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:50 pm

Thank you for all your kind words and suggestions. This has been a really hard time, and having no siblings and small extended family, I'm doing everything by myself.
I've never been to Burning Man, mostly because of the dust, so I don't know how this works. I signed up for STEP, like many of you said, and will wait for the resale. Thanks again for all your help.
Monica
monica228

Postby Milayna » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:36 pm

Read this http://www.burningman.com/first_timers/ and this http://survival.burningman.com/ and I do mean every word of both, that will give you a good start. Start planning now, don't wait for a ticket, tickets begin showing up more in the summer and by then it will be too late to plan, and if you really want one you will find a ticket. Read through eplaya, and if you have a specific question the easiest way to get an answer is to google it by typing in "eplaya" and then whatever your question is. In most cases a bunch of threads will come up that answer your questions.

I realize this may not be a real person/situation, but on the off chance that this really is a person who just lost their mother I'm going to be helpful. If you are not a real person then go f*** yourself....hard.....on something sharp.
Milayna

Postby 48_love » Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:43 am

One other thing to consider ... there is a person who takes tributes to the Temple if you are unable to attend. I recall it being announced in the Jack Rabbit Speaks.

If you want the ashes there and can't make it but want to follow through on the functional request, watch for that in the JRS.

There are instructions to sign up for it somewhere on the main site.

Good luck with everything!
48_love

Return to 2013 Tickets Wanted