looking for shadow yoga burners

Exchange camp ideas, find places to perform, announce your events, etc.

looking for shadow yoga burners

Postby serendipity » Thu Jun 22, 2006 6:41 pm

does anyone out there practice shadow yoga? want to plan to practice together on the playa?
serendipity

Postby blyslv » Fri Jun 23, 2006 9:26 am

What pray tell is shadow yoga?
Fight for the fifth freedom!
blyslv

Postby spectabillis » Fri Jun 23, 2006 2:55 pm

the dark side of the force?
spectabillis

Postby meincoif » Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:23 am

I have no idea what shadow yoga is, but I'm inexplicably intrigued and want to learn!
meincoif

shadow yoga is...

Postby serendipity » Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:04 am

here's a description from the website of the founder of shadow yoga. check out the site for more details and photos.

taken from www.shadowyoga.com

The name Shadow Yoga is derived from the 6th chapter of the ancient tantrik treatise – ‘The Shiva-Svarodaya’ (the birth of the breath of life revealed by the god Shiva). This chapter, entitled ‘Yoga of the Shadow Man’, deals with the intricate manifestations of the shadow and their significance both inside and outside the human organism. The Ashtanga Hrdaya of Vagbhata , a primary ayurvedic text, also contains a chapter on the shadow which deals with diagnostic principles. There is also a story about Allama Prabhudeva, the initiating guru of Gorakshanath (one of the famous forefathers of Hatha Yoga), in which he describes the human body as nothing but layers of frozen shadows. According to Hatha Yogic anatomy the body is composed of three discrete bodies and five sheaths, (coverings or shadows). The practice of Hatha Yoga has evolved with the purpose of dissolving these shadows.

The teaching of the Shadow School is based upon the ancient Hatha Yogic texts, which state that all fixed forms should be designed to develop the practice of freestyle. Freestyle is a necessary step in the cultivation of longevity and enlightenment.

The four fixed forms of Shadow Yoga utilize the guiding principles of Marmasthana, (the Indian system of the 108 vital junctions of the body), to achieve the appropriate combination of positions and rhythmical movements to obtain an unobstructed movement of breath.

PRELIMINARY – BALAKRAMA

OPENING THE SHADOW – CHAYA VIVARANAM

MOVING(CHURNING)THE SHADOW – CHAYA YODDHA SANCHALANAM

CIRCLING THE SHADOW – KARTIKKEYA MANDALA

The four forms are the combination of various warrior (viraparampara) and sun forms (suryanamaskaras) which act as preludes for the asana-vinyasas (primary, intermediate and advanced). The prelude and asana-vinyasa are followed by the inverted asanas of the conclusion which lead into the practice of pranayama and other inner advanced processes like dhyana. The structure of this practice reflects the quintessential form of the gayatri mantra, which consists of prelude, mantra and conclusion (vyahrti, gayatri and siras).
serendipity

Postby blyslv » Thu Aug 03, 2006 1:19 pm

hmmmm, that was a pretty vague website, it doesn't really look that different from your basic hatha yoga. Maybe it's the intent that is different. Is "disolving the shadow" so very different from bringing the mind and body into harmony?

I've always tought of yoga as an exercise to unite one's mind and body (Yoga means union in sanskrit). After many years of prctice what was an abstract concept has taken on new meaning. In any event I enjoy trying new types of yoga. I will be teaching classes in Wheee!ville before the heat of the day becomes too intense. Please stop by and maybe we can learn from each other!

I also plan to try and instigate random yoga happenings through out the city.
Fight for the fifth freedom!
blyslv

Postby slimandslam » Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:39 am

Any Shadow Yoga happening this year?
slimandslam

Perhaps a stupid question

Postby Flammepus » Fri Aug 03, 2007 4:51 am

Being a relative yoganoob, I have to ask: will I be completely lost if I have only done Ashtanga regularly for 1 year and come to a Hatha class? Is it like martial arts where one risks pissing off the teacher by having a different style?

I am not sure if I/we will venture out to do our training or if we will just have morning sessions in our own camp, but I think that it might be fun to try some different aspects and learn together with different people! I recon that we will practice every morning in any case, so if you walk by a big silver tent with a lot of very measured, deep breathing, be sure to drop by! ;)
Flammepus

Postby slimandslam » Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:56 am

The short answer is: "it's all good". All yoga forms are about breathing and bhandas and meditative states, so the rest is just subtle variations on that theme. ---just my two cents.....
slimandslam

Postby diamondblast » Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:20 am

[quote="blyslv"]hmmmm, that was a pretty vague website, it doesn't really look that different from your basic hatha yoga. Maybe it's the intent that is different. Is "disolving the shadow" so very different from bringing the mind and body into harmony?
[/quote]

Sorry but I don't understand what shadow yoga is.
Is there a movie I can see online ?
I know hata yoga and others .... but can't get what exactly is the shadow.
I would love to try it though.
Lance
diamondblast

Re: looking for shadow yoga burners

Postby robotslingshot » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:49 am

so um seriously... Anyone practicing shadow yoga on the playa this year? Thanks in advance!

Paula
robotslingshot

Burning Since: 2001

Re: looking for shadow yoga burners

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:52 pm

[media]
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Return to 2006 Art & Performance