Thought I'd say hi

Thought I'd say hi

Postby Bergamot » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:12 pm

Because August keeps getting closer. It's both exciting and terrifying.

I'm a Burner virgin from Nova Scotia, Canada, and this is just the right year for me to do BM. I sort of devoured most of the older posts on this board (I used to keep myself amused at work writing lists for things I needed, things I had, etc.). I really thought things were all coming together, I have a flight into San Francisco (it was far cheaper), I have a ticket to BM, my friend and I were going to rent a box truck and camp out, experience everything we could and create some art and community.

But...now she can't go. So things have gotten a little more complicated. Camping out by myself and renting a huge truck and all that seems, well, lonely and expensive. We weren't going to try attaching ourselves to a theme camp, but now that seems like the best option.

If...just a little daunting. Hence the introduction, hi everyone! I've been making the people around me crazy for the last two years talking about Burning Man. Thought I'd say hi, because I need to figure some of this shit out. And I hope I see some of you guys on the playa.
Bergamot

Burning Since: 2013

Re: Thought I'd say hi

Postby TT120 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:22 pm

Hello and welcome! Box trucks may a little hard to find in the San Francisco area so you might want to start checking in to them. Maybe a car or pickup truck would be cheaper if it's just going to be you.
Life's a bitch, then you go to Burning Man - Unjonharley

W6BJD
TT120

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Orphans Too

Postby Bergamot » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:14 pm

The box truck idea was to soothe my fears about getting a rental car all mucked up and paying for the damages. I had been hoping to rent from Gentry Way Discount, but doing the petrol costs on my own isn't really sensible. Though I do worry about the dust getting into the rental car. (Well, no, it's not the dust getting in that worries me because there's no stopping that. It's getting the dust back out again.)
Bergamot

Postby jkisha » Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:34 am

Hey there, welcome to eplaya!
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby Savannah » Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:56 pm

Hi Bergamot! :D

. . . You could rent a cargo van and sleep in the back.
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby Sail Man » Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:15 pm

Hello Nova Scotia, welcome to Eplaya
Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact
Sail Man

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Postby Bergamot » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:36 pm

Thanks!

I like the cargo van option. I've called a couple of places and what isn't sold out isn't booking until later in the spring. I'm going to assume that's normal? The Sacramento budget guy said he couldn't book something for the end of August, it was too far out, and the Hengehold website states they don't deal with BM rentals until the end of May. But I'm thinking there's probably a fair few of us going to be calling on that date?
Bergamot

Postby Savannah » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:41 pm

I would ask over the phone in a really friendly way the earliest date they will accept a reservation for the date I want. Then I'd literally call back on that day--and just try not to worry too much in the meantime.

Sure, there will be other people who are as timely or conscientious, but half the folks who are interested won't be so precise. You'll probably be fine.
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby 171/348 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:53 pm

Be very careful about making sure your truck will really be there. I had a cargo van reserved for 2 weeks with budget in Sacramento (I was renting the thing for 2 weeks, I made the reservation substantially ahead of time) but when I got to the airport I was told there were no vans available anywhere because they were all going to Burning Man. Ended up spending a night in a hotel somewhere near Sacramento and renting a Ford Escape in Sacramento the next day (It was the biggest thing I could find, I was going to sleep in the van so I had to buy a tent). It all worked out in the end, but the entire plan had to change based on the vehicle... Thank goodness the guy we rented our bikes from (Little shop at the Sands... uh...) had a bike rack that fit the escape fresh in the box he was willing to rent us for the week as well. Fitting my friends giant tent that she had shipped across the country into the tiny escape was an adventure in and of it's self.
171/348

Burning Since: 2012

Return to Introduce Yourself!