Solar Power Theme Camp

Whether you're a registered theme camp or not this is the place to discuss and share camp plans, find a camp to join, or recruit new campmates.

Solar Power Theme Camp

Postby MimmoSini » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:02 am

Hi everyone,

Does someone think to organize or to join a Solar Energy Camp or a Renewable Energies Camp?
I knew that during the last burnings the Black Rock Solar was giving electric power to part of the BRCity through a not-connected solar power plant.
Will it be the same for the 2013 event or the topic is no developed and everyone has to bring his own power generation system?

Otherwise we will survive without any kind of energy but our!!!

Thanks a lot for the information Burners...
Will
MimmoSini

Burning Since: 2013

Re: Solar Power Theme Camp

Postby some seeing eye » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:16 am

everyone has to bring his own power generation system?

Yes, everyone has to bring their own power if they need it.

Does someone think to organize or to join a Solar Energy Camp or a Renewable Energies Camp?

Yes, there has been the Alternative Energy Zone camp for many years. http://ae-zone.org/ Each camper in the AEZone brings their own not connected solar plant.

Black Rock Solar was giving electric power to part of the BRCity through a not-connected solar power plant

Yes.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion
some seeing eye

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Postby MimmoSini » Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:32 am

Thanks a lot for the information...
For sure I will contact the organizators and I will find out how to join that camp...

Thanks again...
Will
MimmoSini

Burning Since: 2013

Postby nickn » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:37 pm

some seeing eye wrote:
everyone has to bring his own power generation system?

Yes, there has been the Alternative Energy Zone camp for many years. http://ae-zone.org/ Each camper in the AEZone brings their own not connected solar plant.

The only rules for camping in the AEZ are 1) no generators, and 2) asking to camp there. You don't need to have a solar collector/windmill/solar stove/etc.
nickn

Postby some seeing eye » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:35 pm

Thank you for clarifying that nickn. It is important to register before the AEZ fills up.
some seeing eye

Postby nixiebunny » Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:23 pm

There is lots of solar power, in all sorts of camps. The problem is that you are invariably placed next to Loud Generator Facing Your Camp.
--David Forbes
nixiebunny

Postby Captain Goddammit » Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:36 pm

I believe solar power for the playa is extremely wasteful in the big picture. If you factor in the energy it takes to manufacture the solar panels vs. the piddly-ass amount of electricity you get from them that one week, it's a big net loss and not "green" at all.
The "greenest" thing to do is get a group together and rent a large biodiesel generator to share over several camps. That's what Burning Man does. It's also the most cost-effective way to go.

Solar is mostly just for hobbyists who do it just because it's their thing and they want to. And that's totally cool. More power to ya... except you'll have less power!
"Whaoomph! Whaomph! Burbbleburbblepattpattpattpatt... WHAAAAAaaoooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa........!!!"
Top fuel dragster, by Elliot Naess
Captain Goddammit

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp Fuck The Vehicle Passes

Postby hippyDdoc » Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:47 am

Some guy in Fremont is selling 70W panels on Craigslist, I ordered mine, the guy is on the uppty up.
hippyDdoc

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: where's camp

Postby Captain Goddammit » Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:59 pm

A Honda still gives you more watts per dollar than that!
70 watts ain't much. And that's only during the day under ideal conditions.
I still say solar on the playa is a hobbyist thing not a practical thing.
I'd need about 40 or 50 of those panels. Plus controller and batteries and a really large inverter. Doesn't math out.
"Whaoomph! Whaomph! Burbbleburbblepattpattpattpatt... WHAAAAAaaoooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa........!!!"
Captain Goddammit

Postby some seeing eye » Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:14 pm

Capt. Goddammit is correct, of course! Biodiesel is carbon neutral, though not noise-free. Solar at BM is about learning and experimenting, not a financial model for the cheapest energy.

The energy cost of manufacturing a solar panel varies with the tech, not so bad with compound thin films. But BM has never been an energy or carbon conscious culture, in fact some people presenting efficiency concerns have been ridiculed on this board. BM is a consumption and display culture.

Anyway, the AEZ Zone Village requirement to camp is simply no generators. Maybe 10% have solar panels. They are also big on solar food cookers. On playa, stop by Snow Koan solar in Nectar Village, the organizer is a commercial solar installer, very knowledgable. Black Rock Solar, reachable through the Earth Guardians camp is BM's off playa solar installation project working in the surrounding communities.
some seeing eye

Postby Captain Goddammit » Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:18 pm

I've got a friend at AEZ, Reverend Gadget, who's heavily into solar.
He'd undoubtably disagree with my opinion. He's got an all-solar bus with a regular house stove/oven and fridge, and had a mutant vehicle land boat that was all solar (and it worked great!).
BUT... he works with that stuff for a living and has shit lying around that most of us don't. He said the solar panels on his mutant vehicle would have cost $7,000.
Captain Goddammit

Postby Zhust » Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:01 am

Captain Goddammit wrote:A Honda still gives you more watts per dollar than that!

... because the cost of the energy is hidden by the systems we have in place that foster the use of fossil fuels. (Which, in turn, is just sequestered solar power from plants and animals that died and whose hydrocarbons were crunched.)

Captain Goddammit wrote:70 watts ain't much. And that's only during the day under ideal conditions.
I still say solar on the playa is a hobbyist thing not a practical thing.
I'd need about 40 or 50 of those panels. Plus controller and batteries and a really large inverter. Doesn't math out.

Alternatively, be efficient and human-sized. It takes a lot of power to seem louder, brighter, or bigger than life.
May your deeds return to you tenfold,
---Zhust, Curiosityist
Zhust

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Camp CampCampCamp

Postby Captain Goddammit » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:06 am

Zhust wrote:Alternatively, be efficient and human-sized. It takes a lot of power to seem louder, brighter, or bigger than life.

But this is Burning Man! :)
Captain Goddammit

Postby BBadger » Thu May 02, 2013 9:16 am

Unless you're going to use that solar power technology every day the rest of the year, you're just being more wasteful than the people who just truck in some gasoline. Otherwise, while it all sounds good that you're being "green" -- you're not. Instead, you'll be ponying up extra cash for a novelty power source that is just being wasted.

some seeing eye wrote:Capt. Goddammit is correct, of course! Biodiesel is carbon neutral, though not noise-free. Solar at BM is about learning and experimenting, not a financial model for the cheapest energy.

The energy cost of manufacturing a solar panel varies with the tech, not so bad with compound thin films. But BM has never been an energy or carbon conscious culture, in fact some people presenting efficiency concerns have been ridiculed on this board. BM is a consumption and display culture.

Meh on biodiesel. Though there are benefits for energy security, biodiesel is mostly mankind's excuse to plant subsidized cash crops under the guise of "green energy." The artificially subsidized market for biodiesel, coupled with that fallacious, false-currency "carbon credits", has encouraged the planting of crops such as corn and palm to produce feedstock. Carbon neutral my ass. Those lovely rainforests in Indonesia? Well fuck them (though to be fair, most rainforests are economically worthless), and let's plant a bunch of palms to sell that biodiesel to Europeans. In the states, let's subsidize more energy intensive corn planting so we can make it into bio-diesel. In France, we'll turn that subsidized, overproduced cheap-o wine into fuel too (gotta do something with it).

Still, maybe one benefit of biodiesel may be that it may reduce food supplies, and facilitate starvation. Maybe that'll help with the carbon "neutrality" problem.

Zhust wrote:
Captain Goddammit wrote:A Honda still gives you more watts per dollar than that!

... because the cost of the energy is hidden by the systems we have in place that foster the use of fossil fuels. (Which, in turn, is just sequestered solar power from plants and animals that died and whose hydrocarbons were crunched.)

When I use fossil fuels I tell people I'm using solar and geothermal energy. It's sounds so "green." What is not to love about using nature's solar panels, and the Earth's natural geothermal refinement process to manufacture chemical batteries with extremely high energy densities? Yeah, it releases the carbon back into the atmosphere, but consider that more feedstock.

I an also argue that I'm being carbon-neutral too, by simply releasing the "debt" of stored carbon below the surface of the planet. People don't like seeing it that way though.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby Captain Goddammit » Thu May 02, 2013 2:48 pm

I don't suggest biodiesel generators at Burning Man for any sort of "green" reason.
I only suggest them because the exhaust smells like french fries. And french fries are yummy.
Captain Goddammit

Postby EspressoDude » Sat May 04, 2013 10:10 am

Captain Goddammit wrote:I don't suggest biodiesel generators at Burning Man for any sort of "green" reason.
I only suggest them because the exhaust smells like french fries. And french fries are yummy.

Does that make you want to eat the generator?
Is 4 shots enuff? no foo-foo drinks; just naked Espresso
Tactical Espresso Service http://home.comcast.net/~espressocamp/
Field Artillery Tractor
FOGBANK, GOD OF HELLFIRE
BLACK ROCK f/x Trojan Horse,Anubis,2014Temple
burn shit and blow shit up
EspressoDude

Return to 2013 Theme Camps