playa names

All things outside of Burning Man.

Re: playa names

Postby Eric » Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:12 pm

171/348 wrote:Seems to me it would be hard to say all the time.
Although, it's written on my arm, so maybe I just have to come up with an introduction where I let people read it and thus I don't have to keep repeating one seven one of three four eight or one hundred seventy one out of three hundred and forty eight or whichever other jumbled iteration comes out of my mouth... Probably some kind of litmus test for how BORG vs. Art I'm feeling at the moment.

Looking at the tattoo I have an urge to call you "Holocaust", but I'm twisted that way...
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby Simon of the Playa » Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:22 pm

[media]
breathe deep, the playa is the dust of your ancestors

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby clocksnmirrors » Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:25 pm

call me Mrs. Bojangles
WEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeee heee heee heeeee! *burp*
clocksnmirrors

Burning Since: 2012

Postby Savannah » Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:21 pm

DAMN YOU, Simon! I have been been meaning to post that. That I haven't is somehow totally your fault. :D
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:29 pm

He's our scapegoat, Savannah.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby 171/348 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:49 pm

Not sure I'd want to be called that out on the playa... :|
171/348

Burning Since: 2012

Postby Savannah » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:04 pm

171/348 wrote:Not sure I'd want to be called that out on the playa... :|

If we meet, I'm just gonna to call you One-Seven-One unless you tell me differently . . . and/or take some sort of marvelous pratfall or commit a heroic act that makes a new playa name terribly obvious.

Savannah

Postby Gonzo Frothwood » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:48 pm

My nickname since highschool was Gonzo Slutpuppy Because one day I was going to grow up into a Mondo Whoredog. RobbiDobbs said that was slightly sexist. Well she said it it was a violent sexist slur or something like that....I don't listen to her all that close. So I took my favorite beer and favorite actress names and combined them for...Gonzo Budseka. did not roll off the tongue. So second choice was Old Frothingslosh and Natalee Wood. Gonzo Frothwood was born. Then a good Mexican friend of mine told me that Gonzo means either goose or stupid in Spanish. Thanks high school friends for calling me stupid goose. Love you too!
"There is nothing so over-estimated as a piece of ass, and nothing so under-estimated as a good and greasy shit." Boneman Johnson
Gonzo Frothwood

Postby Malcolm » Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:53 am

So, should I come up with my own name, or have someone give one to me?
I read about camps where their gift was to have a veteran burner quick chat with you, ask you a bunch of questions, and then they come up with a fitting Playa name. It sounds cool, and I would totally dig that, but isn't that just one of those “Burnier than thou” rules that someone came up with?
Malcolm

Burning Since: 2013

Postby lemur » Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:00 pm

you dont need a nickname.

its just a fun thing.

in larger groups it also helps to know who is who... if ya have 6 Johns..

some people have their name given to them and they keep it..

some people make up something of their own

some people think its dumb and just use their RL name..

it really doesnt matter, ..you can be a dif name any time you talk to someone, if you want..
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby ygmir » Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:02 pm

Malcolm wrote:So, should I come up with my own name, or have someone give one to me?
I read about camps where their gift was to have a veteran burner quick chat with you, ask you a bunch of questions, and then they come up with a fitting Playa name. It sounds cool, and I would totally dig that, but isn't that just one of those “Burnier than thou” rules that someone came up with?

why do you ask this, "Twodogsfucking"?
:P :P :P
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Camp Name: qqqq

Postby Canoe » Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:07 pm

Keep it easy. Pay your way into one of the plug&play camps. It's either first night or first day they have a circle &#$* drum and assign everyone their "playa name" on a name tag.
*** http://www.burningman.com/preparation/ ***
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.
“Dear subscriber, you are registered as a participant in a mass disturbance.”
Canoe

Postby Eric » Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:19 pm

Malcolm wrote:So, should I come up with my own name, or have someone give one to me?

The best playa names are the ones that organically attach themselves to you over the course of the week (if at all), the worst are when you give yourself something awful like Playalight or Stardust and realize you're the 400th+ person to choose that dated thing. If you have a real life nickname that people use, feel free to use that. Personally, I use my real name & don't want a playa name - I'm the same person in the middle of the City as I am in the middle of the playa, and don't see a need to "become someone else" for the week. I understand why others want to however, and say more power to you. Just let it happen naturally.

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Postby Drawingablank » Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:20 pm

Savannah wrote:
171/348 wrote:Not sure I'd want to be called that out on the playa... :|

If we meet, I'm just gonna to call you One-Seven-One unless you tell me differently . . . and/or take some sort of marvelous pratfall or commit a heroic act that makes a new playa name terribly obvious.

Well since that is how they number prints and lithographs - how about Limited Edition.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide
Drawingablank

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby Schtev » Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:27 pm

My name is Steve. My boss, for reasons I can't even begin to fathom, decided one day that I am "Schtev of da Fjords". Seems like a good Playa name, and has led to numerous stereotypically Scandinavian sounding conversations with said boss.
"I will not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. I will face my fear. I will let it pass through me. Where the fear has gone, there shall be nothing. Only I will remain."
Schtev

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Camp Fuckowee

Postby Schtev » Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:28 pm

I think we have a winner! :D

ygmir wrote:

"I will not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. I will face my fear. I will let it pass through me. Where the fear has gone, there shall be nothing. Only I will remain."
Schtev

Postby FIGJAM » Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:32 pm

Is your parrot pineing?
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby Malcolm » Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:33 pm

Schtev wrote:I think we have a winner! :D

ygmir wrote:

WHOA! I may have to veto that one!
Malcolm

Postby FIGJAM » Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:35 pm

I will find someone to name Evangiline Finefanny this year! 8)
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:38 pm

Schtev wrote:...and has led to numerous stereotypically Scandinavian sounding conversations with said boss.

Nice work if you can get it...
[media]
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Postby AntiM » Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:16 pm

Eric wrote:

The best playa names are the ones that organically attach themselves to you over the course of the week (if at all), the worst are when you give yourself something awful like Playalight or Stardust and realize you're the 400th+ person to choose that dated thing. If you have a real life nickname that people use, feel free to use that. Personally, I use my real name & don't want a playa name - I'm the same person in the middle of the City as I am in the middle of the playa, and don't see a need to "become someone else" for the week. I understand why others want to however, and say more power to you. Just let it happen naturally.

Come on, you know you're Eric the Red, because we have more than one. The next one will be 12ManyErics.

The playa name you do not want is along the lines of Skidmark... a drunk guy who sat naked in our camp chair got that lovely moniker.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby graidawg » Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:05 pm

Lord Earl duke of Fareham. because thats how I introduced myself to the pretty girl in the camp next door. Sadly being a peer did not get me laid.
completely unconcerned.
"Savannah" I like it . . . it makes us sound forward-thinking, and not at all like trailblazing, professional-level procrastinors.
the rest of us are in the School of Fukkit. "Eric"
graidawg

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dread Pirate barbie

Postby lemur » Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:05 pm

we had someone one year, upon being noted as being too clean.. did a "playa angel" (like the snow angel thing but.. in the dust) and ..did it face down.

(which is totally the wrong way to do a snow angel)

he became face down
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby Savannah » Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:07 pm

graidawg wrote:Lord Earl duke of Fareham. because thats how I introduced myself to the pretty girl in the camp next door. Sadly being a peer did not get me laid.

You should have called yourself "His Worshipfulness, Lord Viscount of Graidawgshire."

lemur wrote:we had someone one year, upon being noted as being too clean.. did a "playa angel" (like the snow angel thing but.. in the dust) and ..did it face down.

he became face down

Classic. :D

Savannah

Postby littlebird » Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:30 pm

lemur wrote:we had someone one year, upon being noted as being too clean.. did a "playa angel" (like the snow angel thing but.. in the dust) and ..did it face down.

he became face down

Well then go ahead and call me Face Down 2: Electric Boogaloo, because I plan on doing my newbie playa angel face down. No need to get a headstart in the Who-Has-The-Most-Dust-In-Her-Hair competition at the end of the week.
littlebird

Camp Name: ToneAge

Postby Jackass » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:16 pm

A newbie in camp a couple of years back happened to indulge in fungi as they were unloading their set up. At some point after unloading and unrolling the carpet he was laying on it and talking to it and became rather infatuated with it, for the rest of the week he was know only as "Carpet". I have no clue what his real name was, maybe Ryan or something...
Don't worry, it'll get weird...
Jackass

Postby Eric » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:21 pm

littlebird wrote:No need to get a headstart in the Who-Has-The-Most-Dust-In-Her-Hair competition at the end of the week.

The correct answer to this is: "everybody with hair". Embrace it early, it will make the week easier. :)

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Postby Schtev » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:24 pm

That's real cute. =p

littlebird wrote:No need to get a headstart in the Who-Has-The-Most-Dust-In-Her-Hair competition at the end of the week.
Schtev

Postby MikeGyver » Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:15 pm

In reality, I'm Starting to dislike Mrpatatomoto. But its so off the wall that it works for internet shit since nobody else has it. There are other Mrpotatomoto's though. Thought about spelling it right once and it didn't work out. Other than that people call me my default name, Mike. which is boring and common as hell.
The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair.
MikeGyver

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby Ugly Dougly » Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:43 pm

Has anyone seen Mike Hunt?
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

PreviousNext

Return to Open Discussion