Greetings from Central Texas

Greetings from Central Texas

Postby bubbahotep » Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:42 am

I love the Burning Man idea and would like to connect with burners around here and participate in the local regional burn (Flipside).

I always thought of BM as a music festival like ACL or Jazzfest until my kids and I 'discovered' it on youtube. The little guys love watching anything mechanical- trucks, trains, tractors, etc. In the course of surfing youtube we stubbled upon the Neverwas Haul. Its genius and creativity totally blew me away. From there we discovered other mutant vehicles and, of course, Burning Man where they all come together. And since then I've been learning what I can about BM over the interwebz. I would love to experience the Playa, but probably won't be able to anytime soon because it coincides with the beginning of school and my oldest starts Kindergarten this year.

But there is hope. There is a regional burn near here called Burning Flipside on Memorial Day weekend. Found out about it too late to get in the ticket lottery. Hopefully I can score secondhand tickets for the wife and I, and a babysitter for the weekend. I also have an MV idea and would love from feedback from the community.

Looking forward to some interesting conversation, and hopefully to someday experience the Playa for myself. For now, the Grassy Playa of Flipside will do.

Cheers,
BubbaHoTep
bubbahotep

Burning Since: 2014

Re: Greetings from Central Texas

Postby tamarakay » Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:05 pm

Hey there! Welcome to the craziness of the Eplaya! Where abouts in central texas are you? The flipside organizers have a pretty good website and there are get togethers in Austin. Check that out on the Flipside regional website. Austin has a strong burner community, as does Dallas/Ft Worth area. The farther you get from Austin the fewer of us there are. We are in Fredericksburg and are pretty much on our own out here.
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man Token

http://www.dyewithdignity.com
tamarakay

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity at BDC

Postby Savannah » Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:26 pm

Hi BubbaHoTep! :D

Good luck getting tickets for Flipside! (Have you joined any of the regional lists or Facebook groups?)
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby jkisha » Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:50 pm

Hey there, welcome to eplaya!
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby bubbahotep » Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:08 pm

Thanks y'all. tamarakay- I'm in Austin. Really like you're neck of the woods though. I signed up for the Flipside mailing lists and attended the Makers & Muses event yesterday. It was nice to meet and connect with some people the community.
bubbahotep

Burning Since: 2014

Postby tamarakay » Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:30 pm

Well heck, I was in Austin today at the art alliance event on 2nd street. Sunburned and tired!
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man Token

http://www.dyewithdignity.com
tamarakay

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity at BDC

Postby biblioclasm » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:16 am

I would be interested to hear about Burning Flipside when you go, bubba.
biblioclasm

Burning Since: 2013

Postby sambojones » Thu May 02, 2013 12:35 pm

biblioclasm wrote:I would be interested to hear about Burning Flipside when you go, bubba.

it's more hippy dippy than burning man and hot/humid as fuck. a lot of people that go to flipside love it, but for me it doesn't hold a candle to the desert. i've been twice before and was disappointed both times, i'm gonna give it one more shot this year cuz i have a lot of friends going. full disclosure I'm not a native texan and don't seem to click with most texas burners except for other transplants and a handful of natives which probably partially influences my negative flipside experiences so far
does this water taste like raspberries or am I still fucked up...oh wait it's raspberry flavored water
sambojones

Return to Introduce Yourself!