How to Join a Theme Camp

Whether you're a registered theme camp or not this is the place to discuss and share camp plans, find a camp to join, or recruit new campmates.

Re: How to Join a Theme Camp

Postby trilobyte » Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:48 pm

Earthwalker - your posts are a bit confusing. Your profile says burning since 2012, but you talk of being a naive virgin. Either answer's fine of course, I'm just curious as to which. As for the questions in your posts, let me try to respond to them.

There are lots of different ways that people join camps. Some get new members through networks of friends. Some have open enrollment. Some take applications from strangers, but still require meeting people and being approved by members (or the camp leader). Others don't necessarily have open enrollment, but get new members from people who reach out and express interest in joining or participating. Not all camps who take on strangers or charge members dues are turnkey (plug 'n play) camps, in fact most are not. Regardless of any dues, I think a lot of camps that are working on a project (theme camps, MV support camps, art installation crews) have work duties and responsibilities that are shared among campmates.

You don't need to use quotes around camp, a group of people camping together is a camp regardless of whether they've registered, and regardless of whether they even have any kind of theme or build any art.

As for closed versus open camps, I think you may have some confusion there. The term open vs. closed is most often used to refer to enrollment. That is, do they have open enrollment and are open to new members, or is it closed enrollment and the only way in is through someone? On the playa, it's a different story. The terms I'd use to describe camps there is public or private space. Many camps are open to the public (whether it's a bar, or they serve pancakes, or offer haircuts, or have a space for meditation, or any of a thousand other things), but have both public and private space. There are camps (mostly unregistered) who have no public space - it's just a bunch of people who are camping together.

When registered theme camps submit their questionnaires, they can choose whether they'd like to appear on the list published on the Burning Man web site or not, and can also add links/contact info if they'd like.

There aren't any hard statistics available, but each year thousands of people find a place to camp by browsing through listings and posts on the internet, then reach out to a prospective camp to express interest. Thousands more connect with camp through the friends they're coming with. That's how my first year went, the friends who I was coming to the event with were organizing their own camp. Still others either go it alone or just form up their own things with friends.

I'm sure there are plenty of people who didn't care for the video. Of course it was staged, the project was planned well and they were all reading from the Dr. Seuss book. I look forward to seeing your video, and don't worry there will be plenty of people who don't care for whatever you make too (that's kind of the way it works with art).

And finally, yes those people are real. Some camps do have leaders and ranks and stuff. So long as something doesn't negatively impact somebody else's burn, do what makes you happy - and respect others' as they do what makes them happy.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby Earthwalker » Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:06 pm

Sorry about the confusion on the "burning since". I created the account last year when I was planning (even had tickets) on going to 2012. It didn't work out, but didn't think to go back and change that in my profile. It has been duly noted, and changed!

As you say, I think I had it confused. The way you put it makes a lot of sense. More of open v closed SPACE. Completely understand. Our camp, while not registered, will most definitely invite people in to hang out and such. But it's not "open" in the sense of "hey, you, walking by, stop here and have a free drink from our cool bar".

Thanks for the explanation!

PS-Look for my crappy video around October 1 or so. Actually, I feel a bit like a reprimanded child and may no longer post a vid. Thanks for ruining it. Just joking. Just thought the video felt a bit plastic and not really representative of the wide variety of souls I've interacted with on this board, or friends/family who have attended.

Thanks for the insight.
Please forgive me...this cubicle has stolen portions of my mind and my soul
Earthwalker

Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Trifucta

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:13 pm

Earthwalker wrote:Am I the only person who thought that "Oh the Places You'll Go" video was pretty tacky and commercialized? IDK, maybe it's just me. I turned off the sound after a minute or two just so I could look at the scenery. It was staged, and felt that way. Are those people the official spokespeople of BM? I want to do a video that's not all happy and fluffy. Show the real ish. The spur of the moment, off the wall, not always pretty or safe, side of things. Get gangsta wid it, like the young whippersnappers are saying these days. Well, maybe not these days. More like in 1999. But oh well

I didn't get very far. I think it was that overly cute girl with the tail that pushed it past my ability to watch.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:16 pm

Earthwalker wrote:
OregonRed wrote:Hey y'all... realize that I haven't posted in a while, but TheCO is my husband and I'm third in command in our camp, so I can say this with some authority...

I'm sarcastic much of the time, but am seriously asking this question...is this comment for real? Are there really ranks within camps?

Ok, now the sarcasm....I hope to start out as a Semen Recruit this year and eventually make my way up to Chief Botswains Mate on our ship-themed art car.

Third in command. That's awesome. Do you get a brand that you can brand virgins with who aren't doing enough chores around camp?

I was in the same village as MASH 4207 for several years, and they are a kick-ass camp. They use the structure as a way to initiate newbies and make sure things get done. Every year you move up a rank. Yes, a system like this could be abused, but these are good people and I've never seen or heard a single thing that makes me wonder if there's abuse there.
It's one system, you don't have to use it.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby Earthwalker » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:04 am

Thanks crypto for the thoughtful responses. Have a good evening
Please forgive me...this cubicle has stolen portions of my mind and my soul
Earthwalker

Camp Name: Trifucta

Postby esinar » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:28 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:There were many queries in the run up to the 2010 event on how to join a camp, so I'm trying to get out ahead of that this year with an advice-ridden thread that we can link to when we are asked that this year.

It's work, joining a camp. Yes, I suppose there are those places where you pay a couple of grand and get butlers and rvs and never have to cook a meal.
I don't know how to join those camps, and I don't care to know.

This is a partial list of registered theme camps for 2012. you can page through and see what appeals and if the camps left contact information you can try sending an email and asking if they are looking for new campers. Some will be, others will not. Some will be, but use other methods of recruitment.

This is the list of theme camps for 2010. (The 2011 list wont be up until late spring or so.) So you can page through and see what appeals and if the camps left contact information you can try sending an email and asking if they are looking for new campers. Some will be, others will not. Some will be, but use other methods of recruitment. Some wont be going out to the playa again.

This is the list of regional contacts, worldwide. Many regional groups have meetings all year round, and listings of fundraising and other parties. Go. You will meet people, and those people are involved with camps and might want to camp with you. Or they may know people... Careful not to just be there for a camp. You are there to have fun, connect with the burn, and make art. People usually know when you think them but pawns in your scheme. Be sincere and contribute and see where it leads.

And ,finally, you can make your own camp and you don't need a camp, anyway.

I'm sure that other people on this board have much more insight into joining a camp, and I'm turning this over to them.

Joining a camp is work! That I agree. First time Burner here - I've contacted between half a dozen and a dozen camps so far (from the list of theme camps) and all of them seem to be full or not accepting new members, seems like it's hard to break into the tight-knit "friends & family" camps. :| I'll keep looking/contacting others but any suggestions for a small (4-6) group of fun people from San Francisco?? :twisted: Looking forward to working with and participating in whatever camp we join! 8)
esinar

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:42 pm

Sorry, no.
And certainly not without some sense of what you are like!
4 to 6 people might swamp an existing group, depending on multiple factors, so take that into account.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby AntiM » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:11 am

Our tiny camp is now getting inquiries. A bit hilarious when I'm approached as if I'm a full fledged 24 hour camp with all the bells and whistles. Jingle jingle.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby trilobyte » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:45 am

Please stay on topic with this thread, and do not use it as to recruit for your camp. Thanks
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby rubeun » Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:11 pm

Love Barbie Death Camp...I remember stumbling across it...wandering aimlessly at night on my first burn. Showed pictures of your camp a few months ago to a friend who was obsessed with Barbie and collects them. She was absolutely horrified much to my amusement. Cheers and keep up the good work!
rubeun

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Heart Deco

Postby Dr. Pyro » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:57 am

rubeun wrote:Love Barbie Death Camp...Cheers and keep up the good work!

Consider it done.
Dr. Pyro

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Where to CAMP?

Postby tifftifftiffporter » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:00 pm

Hi All

Virgin group of self employed artists from Brooklyn heading out to the desert this Burn.
Was wondering if I could get more specifics on where the villages are located or how placement goes about once you get to the festival. IE How do we know where to set up camp?
We are looking to build tower structures and pyramids, you know, alien stuff. Not into being a part of a big themed camp but are super creative and want to get down on making our camp pretty rad in itself and think joining a village is the way to go.

Just not sure how all of this stuff works just yet...

Thanks in advance!

X
“If the words 'life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness' don't include the right to experiment with your own consciousness, then the Declaration of Independence isn't worth the hemp it was written on.” -Terence McKenna
tifftifftiffporter

Postby Bounce530 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:04 pm

You can set-up camp pretty much anywhere on the streets that are not shaded on this map.
TomServo wrote:Pickles are cucumbers soaked in EVIL!
Bounce530

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: BRC Guardian docking pad

Postby Savannah » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:41 pm

And just talk to any neighbors you may have before setting up, in case they need 10 feet more than is obvious. Happy neighbors are a great thing (as well as brand new friends).
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby ^Rhino! » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:07 pm

"The joy of burning man is about diversity. Everyone contributing different things that combine together to make something breathtaking and more powerful than any individual thing. I want my Hair of the Dog Bar, my Black Rock Diner, and my Sacred Spaces Temples. "

**claps**

My first year, I looked at about 20 or 30 different theme camps as to which I'd choose to be in. I chose Rue Morgue....just edgy enough to be fun, and in '08 we had a purpose of building a secondary 'temple' on playa called Sembazuru, the 'Temple of Community', a giant origami-sylized crane. Building it taught me a lot about our camp and our campmates. I stuck with Rue morgue for a second year, and then I didn't have a camp. Suddenly, I got asked to be with the Black Rock Beacon. They knew me (we were neighbors in '08) and liked me. Been with them ever since.

Hair of the Dog is a great camp and bar, btw. Diversity is wonderful, ain't it?
Rue Morgue - '08, '09
Black Rock Beacon - '10, '12, '13
(lux, veritas, lardum)
Bacon is forever.

Veni, vidi, pertudi. (We came, we saw, we DRILLED.) - BRC Division of Geology 2009-2013

I'm here until the serendipitous synchronicity is ubiquitous.
^Rhino!

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Black Rock Beacon

Postby C.f.M. » Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:23 pm

Huh. The only work I've ever had to do, to join a theme camp, was the time spent sifting through all the emails asking me to join, and then picking one.

C.f.M.

Burning Since: 2009

Postby TomServo » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:02 am

C.f.M. wrote:Huh. The only work I've ever had to do, to join a theme camp, was the time spent sifting through all the emails asking me to join, and then picking one.

Wanna join Blood Bath & Beyond? YOUR ALIVE! Missed you!
anything worth doing..is worth overdoing

Vor Gebrauch Sprengkapsel einsetzen
TomServo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:00 am

jimmyjjohn wrote:First lets talk about kinds of camps. There are theme camps and then just groups of people camping together.

Theme camps offer some sort of public ammenity, be it a bar, chill space, dance space, tarot readings, haircuts, yoga, etc. Trust me, all of that is out there and more. Theme camps are the interactive core of Burningman

Then there are groups of like minded people and friends that just camp together. They are scattered throughout the city as it's first come first served in areas not reserved for theme camps. To find these camps, you need to get out there, (in your local burner community) and meet people.

One year I decided that I wanted to camp with people I had never met before. I posted this on the BM Virgins Tribe. Since I posted a lot about various things people had an idea of who I was and a sense of my personality. They said, gee Bobzilla looks he might be a good addition to out camp, lets invite him to join. The result was I camped with a group of folks from Denver and have made lifelong friends as a result. Don't expect to put one post out there and have offers roll in.

You're Bobzilla? How you doing? Good to see you again.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby C.f.M. » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:22 am

TomServo wrote: Wanna join Blood Bath & Beyond? YOUR ALIVE! Missed you!

I will put you first in line for next year! The lovely ladies of Dye with Dignity, in BDV, snatched me up this year.

C.f.M.

Postby lucky420 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:37 pm

C.f.M. wrote:
TomServo wrote: Wanna join Blood Bath & Beyond? YOUR ALIVE! Missed you!

I will put you first in line for next year! The lovely ladies of Dye with Dignity, in BDV, snatched me up this year.

we are pretty lovely...
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby Aleksey » Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:27 pm

Big and informative thread. Would be great if some of this was compiled into the main site, which currently only contains info about registering a theme camp, as opposed to looking to join one.

There is still a bit of a gap though in terms of this info.
It's pretty clear that there is a right way to seek out and join a camp and how to do it. But between doing that, and going solo or with a friend and camp ourselves, isn't there a little bit of a middle ground?

Me:
- first timer
- decided to go to burning man 3 weeks before the event and got a ticket
- running around like my ass is on fire trying to deal with information overload
- don't want to munch off of anyone, but rather learn and contribute, but don't have enough time/resources to figure out how to set up setup my own large shade structures, can bring everything else on my own.

Going camp by camp and spamming my intro doesn't seem to be a good approach, although someone on this thread did advise that. To join properly I would have to do it next year.

I was told that burning man community is a very welcoming one, so long as one is respectful. Are there camps that are not as much theme oriented but rather just come to admire others' artwork? I suppose those would be the ones that I should seek out, but I'm not sure how to go about it.
Aleksey

Postby C.f.M. » Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:32 pm

I'd read through the list of theme camps, email a few people, see what happens.
C.f.M.

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:04 pm

Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby The CO » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:05 am

Earthwalker wrote:
OregonRed wrote:Hey y'all... realize that I haven't posted in a while, but TheCO is my husband and I'm third in command in our camp, so I can say this with some authority...

I'm sarcastic much of the time, but am seriously asking this question...is this comment for real? Are there really ranks within camps?

Ok, now the sarcasm....I hope to start out as a Semen Recruit this year and eventually make my way up to Chief Botswains Mate on our ship-themed art car.

Third in command. That's awesome. Do you get a brand that you can brand virgins with who aren't doing enough chores around camp?

:twisted:

We base rank off of the number of years that a person has been to the burn. It's theme-related to our camp, but using a military chain of command has helped us in any number of ways over the years, and is a large part of why we've been a theme camp non-stop since 1999.

People that have been to the burn many times learn a great deal in the process, and are a great resource for those that are just arriving in BRC. The military ranks help make it clear who has the knowledge that can help with any given challenge.

Privates job is to survive the desert.
Corporals & Sergeants job is to keep the privates alive, and get shit done.
Junior officers job is to figure out who has the best skillset to get it done, get that person or people the resources they need, and get them motivated to do it.
Senior officers job is to deal with the politics and paperwork. Registering the camp, budgeting, design/layout, interacting with the Borg, meeting/negotiating/pacifying the surrounding natives, and keeping the camp on track as far as overall vision/look/theme.
M*A*S*H 4207th: An army of fun.
I don't care what the borg says: feather-wearers will NOT be served in Rosie's Bar.
Yes, I am the arbiter of doing it right or wrong. Guess which one you are!
The CO

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207th/404: Error

Postby OregonRed » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:59 pm

Earthwalker wrote:

:twisted:

Our Virgins are called Privates. And we love to abuse our Privates. :twisted:

Of course, we're good to our Privates as well. :wink:
M*A*S*H 4207 We're not doctors.

"Just be yourself. All the good personalities are taken." stolen from my amazing friend Dwayne Gerken's fb status post.

OregonRed

Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207

Postby FIGJAM » Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:23 am

[media]
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby ^Rhino! » Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:47 am

Working at the Black Rock Beacon means writing stories for the paper, editing, or sitting on the City Desk and having a lot of snarky fun. It was great giving away shot glasses this year with 'Black Rock Beacon' and the burningman logo on the front and the words 'Lux, Veritas, Lardum' on the back {translation: Light, Truth, Bacon).

I miss the Frogbat, though, swooping down and eating hippies.
Rue Morgue - '08, '09
Black Rock Beacon - '10, '12, '13
(lux, veritas, lardum)
Bacon is forever.

Veni, vidi, pertudi. (We came, we saw, we DRILLED.) - BRC Division of Geology 2009-2013

I'm here until the serendipitous synchronicity is ubiquitous.
^Rhino!

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Black Rock Beacon

Postby lilkuu » Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:38 am

I am very excited to attend Burning Man this year. 2014 is the year for Burning Man! Back when I was at UC Santa Cruz in 2009ish, I had my chance to go but passed in order to study. Now it is my time to go! I am interested in joining a camp and contributing/donating to the survival of the group! I'm not sure how I could go about finding a theme camp, do I just show up there and ask if I can join a camp? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks ya'll
lilkuu

Burning Since: 2014

Postby AntiM » Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:12 pm

Usually, a theme camp has dues up front, members have been active in setting it up all year, just showing up on playa and asking to join would not fly in most cases. Even Hushville requires pre-registration. Even unplaced camps usually have a finite amount of members and resources.

You can just show up and camp in open camping, checking with neighbors to make sure you aren't on top of someone. You can camp with friends made through regional contacts, friends made online.

Did you even read the first page of posts of this thread? The one which tells you HOW to join a theme camp? Sorry, but your question leads me to believe that you have not. You know how to do homework, put in the reading. Or is there something which you have more specific questions about?
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby GreyCoyote » Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:28 pm

lilkuu wrote:I am very excited to attend Burning Man this year. 2014 is the year for Burning Man! Back when I was at UC Santa Cruz in 2009ish, I had my chance to go but passed in order to study. Now it is my time to go! I am interested in joining a camp and contributing/donating to the survival of the group! I'm not sure how I could go about finding a theme camp, do I just show up there and ask if I can join a camp? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks ya'll

Read, Grasshopper. Read. And then read some more.

And welcome to eplaya.
"Give me an underground laboratory, a half a dozen atom smashers, and a beautiful girl in a diaphanous veil waiting to be turned into a chimpanzee, and I care NOT who writes this nations laws"!
GreyCoyote

Burning Since: 2000

PreviousNext

Return to 2014 Theme Camps