an accumulator cannon question

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

an accumulator cannon question

Postby gipsyfire » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:17 am

My partner and I are planning to add flame effects to our art-trykes, have found really great plans to base our build on, but I was wondering how small can an accumulator cannon be? Any other tips for adding flame effects to bikes/trykes are appreciated.
Thank you.
gipsyfire

Burning Since: 2010

Re: an accumulator cannon question

Postby trilobyte » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:10 pm

I'm moving this over to the Q&A board, since that's a better fit for general preparation-related questions. The year-specific Art & Performance board is more for announcing/discussing fully formed projects.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby gipsyfire » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:51 am

Thanks for the redirection. Wasn't sure if was posting in best spot.
gipsyfire

Postby Major Krash » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:43 am

I built a small-ish system in 2006 that used an old fire extinguisher as the accumulator (everything fit inside the turret of my BioTrak bicycle powered tank). Used 3/8 inch pipes. Made a decent sized 3-5' ball of flame every 30 seconds or so. The biggest issue that year was the ignition system - I was using a separate line supplied by a 1lb coleman fuel canister - not enough mass. It would freeze up every 30 minutes or so, and the regulator would need to be thawed....should have run a line from the main tank (which would also get cold, but not ice covered). I got maybe 2-3 hours of fun per 20 lb tank....ymmv.

Biggest item would be a 20lb propane tank....heaviest would be all the schedule 80 fixtures and pipes and valves...

Best to find a local mentor who can show you how to get started. Have your posted on your Regional's site asking for help?
"If you don't think too good, don't think too much" Ted Williams
Major Krash

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Sideshow

Postby gipsyfire » Thu May 09, 2013 8:45 am

Major Krash, I like your use of an old fire extinguisher as the accumulator. Nice slim canister. Thanks for posting about your ignition troubles. Good to know what didn't work for you, as well as what did. Was planning already to run off main line. Am thinking of using a smaller primary tank then the 20lb to cut down on weight. I know it won't last as long, but fun for occasional blasts.

Unfortunately, am on small island away from a lot of active Regional folk, but have in mind locally a couple of non-Burner guys that I think may be able to offer help, and am sure that they'll be pretty interested in the project.
gipsyfire

Postby ygmir » Thu May 09, 2013 9:00 am

gipsyfire wrote:Major Krash, I like your use of an old fire extinguisher as the accumulator. Nice slim canister. Thanks for posting about your ignition troubles. Good to know what didn't work for you, as well as what did. Was planning already to run off main line. Am thinking of using a smaller primary tank then the 20lb to cut down on weight. I know it won't last as long, but fun for occasional blasts.

Unfortunately, am on small island away from a lot of active Regional folk, but have in mind locally a couple of non-Burner guys that I think may be able to offer help, and am sure that they'll be pretty interested in the project.

*hoping for Gilligans Island style inventions*
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks