One Item for BMan 2013 a Day

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

Re: One Item for BM a Day

Postby Captain Goddammit » Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:24 pm

tatonka wrote:yep , previous owner said about 13mpg so when its loaded it will hopefully be 10mpg :)

That looks to be an awfully clean and straight old Ford! Excellent truck, stout and simple. Late models worry me for trips out into nowhere because there are too many things that can put their lights out. On that Ford, if you have a problem you can see it and probably fix it. But if all the running gear is fresh, you most likely WON'T have a problem, regardless of what the Ford/Chevy trash talkers say.

But - having owned several similar Fords and Chevys, I'm thinking that 13 MPG is "optimistic" and 10 MPG with a camper and all loaded heavy isn't likely. I usually got about 7 MPG on the BM trip and maybe 10 MPG empty.
"Whaoomph! Whaomph! Burbbleburbblepattpattpattpatt... WHAAAAAaaoooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa........!!!"
Top fuel dragster, by Elliot Naess
Captain Goddammit

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp Fuck The Vehicle Passes

Postby tatonka » Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:41 pm

Captain Goddammit wrote:
tatonka wrote:yep , previous owner said about 13mpg so when its loaded it will hopefully be 10mpg :)

That looks to be an awfully clean and straight old Ford! Excellent truck, stout and simple. Late models worry me for trips out into nowhere because there are too many things that can put their lights out. On that Ford, if you have a problem you can see it and probably fix it. But if all the running gear is fresh, you most likely WON'T have a problem, regardless of what the Ford/Chevy trash talkers say.

But - having owned several similar Fords and Chevys, I'm thinking that 13 MPG is "optimistic" and 10 MPG with a camper and all loaded heavy isn't likely. I usually got about 7 MPG on the BM trip and maybe 10 MPG empty.

Will re-figure gas needed then , thks . Altenator anit workin :( wiring in that area looks weird , lots of things to do on it. No spar tire also , will have to go to junkyard for rim.
winners never quit , quitters never win

4 wheels move the body , two wheels moves the soul

Music is the great healer of the soul
tatonka

Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Rancho Deluxe

Postby TomServo » Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:54 pm

Savannah wrote:Nice, TG! I look forward to seeing the finished product (what's the painting of?)

Good pic of Tom, too. :)

Bounce, I looked at the pic in the Denied, Ouch! thread. It's a good-looking ship. Why is it called BRC Guardian? Just curious. :D What are those dials on the outside? . . . And what kinda changes are you going to make? Unless it's a secret. :) [/5-years-old]

clocksnmirrors wrote:
tattoogoddess wrote:We got the bar done today. Just have to finish the canvas painting and attach it. That fucker is heavy!

that's pretty sweet! who's doing the painting?

I am virtually certain it'll be TG! She's quite the artist. Get her to post the picture of herself in skeleton makeup!

Yes, TG is doing the painting. I'm more of a pencil and ink type. She's doing her rendition of this:

..on canvas, which will skin the bar. Still trying to figure out how to finish the bar well.
anything worth doing..is worth overdoing

Vor Gebrauch Sprengkapsel einsetzen
TomServo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby clocksnmirrors » Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:26 pm

TomServo wrote:Yes, TG is doing the painting. I'm more of a pencil and ink type. She's doing her rendition of this:

HAHAAA brilliant
WEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeee heee heee heeeee! *burp*
clocksnmirrors

Burning Since: 2012

Postby tatonka » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:21 am

just checked wiring on truck , the previous owner said he put a new alt on and the wiring didnt look good. So I looked and one wiring was hanging by one strand , and two others were crossed ? He put it back together that way? Will still check alt to see if he shorted it out or not , started raining so will have to fix later , but it eases my mind cause I was dreading to hunt down a short .
winners never quit , quitters never win

4 wheels move the body , two wheels moves the soul

Music is the great healer of the soul
tatonka

Camp Name: Rancho Deluxe

Postby Captain Goddammit » Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:42 pm

tatonka wrote: Altenator anit workin :( wiring in that area looks weird , lots of things to do on it. No spar tire also , will have to go to junkyard for rim.

On those '70s Fords, there is a fuse that can kill the alternator, check everything before you replace the alt., make sure key-switched 12V is present at the "A" terminal on the regulator. Check the bulb in the "Alt" light on the dash (if your truck has one), I can't remember if it's only GM three-wire units that won't function without it... maybe the Ford too. Make sure that bulb isn't burned out.
Maybe throw a new regulator in it just for good measure. Clean up the area where it mounts, it gets it's ground connection through the mounting screws.
"Whaoomph! Whaomph! Burbbleburbblepattpattpattpatt... WHAAAAAaaoooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa........!!!"
Top fuel dragster, by Elliot Naess
Captain Goddammit

Camp Name: Camp Fuck The Vehicle Passes

Postby Oldguy » Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:34 pm

I applied for a disability vehicle permit; I hope I get my confirmation letter soon for both it, and my low income ticket confirmation letter also.
Oldguy

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Dogpatch

Postby clocksnmirrors » Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:54 pm

good luck old guy!

i got my trailer fixed up:
new tires
new axle
removed roof rack
fresh coat of paint

that baby is ready to hit the road!
WEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeee heee heee heeeee! *burp*
clocksnmirrors

Postby Savannah » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:57 pm

Congratulations, OldGuy! :D Yay, Clocks!
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Postby Oldguy » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:29 pm

Wow, that was quick. I got my disability vehicle invitation after only one day.

Now I wait, with everyone else, until Step program passes out remaining open sale tickets, and last chance tickets.

Not to worry till late August, thanks for the kind IM Trilo ... :D
Oldguy

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Dogpatch

Postby Asquared » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:32 pm

i absolutely <3 this thread. so awesome to see what everyone is working on.

i got my camo nets, and literally "squeeeeee'd" when i unraveled them (i wonder if i can cut/fold them into some sort of cool shape for shade. might create a cool shadow too?). also got 1 (of 4) tarps that will cover our box truck - will ART them up...can't decide if i want to ART them before the burn, or on that first acclamation day...? do any of you bring supplies to the playa and make stuff there? or do you do it all before you go?

i'm a newb, and a non-creative (i know fishy, i'm trying to let it back out!), so only doing a wee bit of ART to cover my truck. so i LOVELOVELOVELOVE to see all of your amazing projects.
"Settle down you two and play nice - or no dubstep for either." mdmf007
"Just look for camp 'Bad Mother Fucker' and ask for Jules." Supafly_fresh
Asquared

Postby tattoogoddess » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:39 pm

Art them up at home so you don't leave moop on the playa. Paint will flake off your tarps so skip it. Hot glue will melt. Use a 2 part apoxy to attach any thing then try to yank it off. If it won't come off you are good.

Sewed the canopy for The bar, bough pancake mix for a camp breakfast, bought that soda stream energy syrup stuff to mix with soda water so I can serve "red bull" and jäger shots one day.

Going to finish the bar tarp painting thing today and finish spray painting the PVC poles for the bar supports. :)
maladroit- Burning Man is like a second job, except you pay to work there.
Burning Man is just the pre party for exodus! - fellow burner during exodus
http://burnon.wix.com/bloodbathandbeyond
tattoogoddess

Camp Name: bloodbath and beyond

Postby illy dilly » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:49 pm

Asquared wrote:i got my camo nets, and literally "squeeeeee'd" when i unraveled them (i wonder if i can cut/fold them into some sort of cool shape for shade. might create a cool shadow too?). also got 1 (of 4) tarps that will cover our box truck - will ART them up...can't decide if i want to ART them before the burn, or on that first acclamation day...? do any of you bring supplies to the playa and make stuff there? or do you do it all before you go?

i'm a newb, and a non-creative (i know fishy, i'm trying to let it back out!), so only doing a wee bit of ART to cover my truck. so i LOVELOVELOVELOVE to see all of your amazing projects.

What sorta tarps did you get, what color? The plastic sort or more like canvas painters drop cloth kind?
The drop cloth kind take spray paint pretty well, especially if your wash them once first. I imagine that washing would be hard since they'll be large enough to cover a box truck. I bet soaking them in the tub with some soap then rinsing and drying would have a similar effect.

I'm kind of picturing a giant silver tarp that goes from ground up over the truck, back to ground. I bet stencils and black spray paint would work pretty well. Kyrlon makes a spray paint specifically for plastic now.
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby Mojojita » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:49 pm

We just put new front tires on the old GMC RV and had a major tune-up done. Had to replace the vacuum advance as well. Mechanic asked what the white powdery mud is that is all over everything.
Ut ballista es interdico, tantum interdico mos fui ballista.
Mojojita

Postby tattoogoddess » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:52 pm

illy dilly wrote:
Asquared wrote:i got my camo nets, and literally "squeeeeee'd" when i unraveled them (i wonder if i can cut/fold them into some sort of cool shape for shade. might create a cool shadow too?). also got 1 (of 4) tarps that will cover our box truck - will ART them up...can't decide if i want to ART them before the burn, or on that first acclamation day...? do any of you bring supplies to the playa and make stuff there? or do you do it all before you go?

What sorta tarps did you get, what color? The plastic sort or more like canvas painters drop cloth kind?
The drop cloth kind take spray paint pretty well, especially if your wash them once first. I imagine that washing would be hard since they'll be large enough to cover a box truck. I bet soaking them in the tub with some soap then rinsing and drying would have a similar effect.

I'm kind of picturing a giant silver tarp that goes from ground up over the truck, back to ground. I bet stencils and black spray paint would work pretty well. Kyrlon makes a spray paint specifically for plastic now.

I don't think that will work on plastic tarps though. They bend to much and will flake the paint off. Ymmv
tattoogoddess

Postby illy dilly » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:04 pm

tattoogoddess wrote:I don't think that will work on plastic tarps though. They bend to much and will flake the paint off. Ymmv

I don't know. I have pretty good luck with lighter amounts of spray paint adhering to things pretty well. When you start to layer it on tell its like liquid you can run into issues.
A light to medium spray is an ass load of little dots, not one larger connected piece of paint. Who knows.

Sharpie would work pretty well I'm sure. Though trying to decorate large tarp with Sharpie would take forever. Though a catchy slogan parody/mockery is always fun!
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Postby Asquared » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:23 pm

my plan is to tie a rope around the truck, weaving in and out of the tarp grommets. probably skip the roof...

i bought silver tarps and HUGE sharpies. stencils, possibly quotes/a slogan, etc...nothing revolutionary. i've heard day 1 can be a bit rough so i thought a day of chillin and drawin would be fun. i haven't seen my campmate in ~5 years, so it would be nice to catch up. however, now that i really think about it, there is probably so much cool stuff (read: distractions) that the tarps would never get decorated...
"Settle down you two and play nice - or no dubstep for either." mdmf007
"Just look for camp 'Bad Mother Fucker' and ask for Jules." Supafly_fresh
Asquared

Postby Savannah » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:29 pm

Asquared wrote:my plan is to tie a rope around the truck, weaving in and out of the tarp grommets. probably skip the roof...

i bought silver tarps and HUGE sharpies. stencils, possibly quotes/a slogan, etc...nothing revolutionary. i've heard day 1 can be a bit rough so i thought a day of chillin and drawin would be fun. i haven't seen my campmate in ~5 years, so it would be nice to catch up. however, now that i really think about it, there is probably so much cool stuff (read: distractions) that the tarps would never get decorated...

You're onto something, there. :D

I've brought things to the playa unfinished (costumes, usually) and always they stayed unfinished, with the exception of the vintage slip whose rip (handily on a seam) I hand-stitched closed in 10 minutes, while I was wearing it.

There are so many interesting things to do and people to meet that you will (probably) not want to waste time completing any project there that you could foreseeably accomplish here.

Savannah

Postby Milayna » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:37 pm

I agree that the tarps probably won't get finished out there. In my first day it was so exciting that I couldn't help but go out and see stuff, but then I got tired really fast and had to sit around for a couple hours just relaxing, but literally just sitting, talking, and drinking water. I think even something as simple as drawing with sharpies would have been too much for me that first day haha. :D
Milayna

Postby illy dilly » Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:02 pm

Milayna wrote:I agree that the tarps probably won't get finished out there. In my first day it was so exciting that I couldn't help but go out and see stuff, but then I got tired really fast and had to sit around for a couple hours just relaxing, but literally just sitting, talking, and drinking water. I think even something as simple as drawing with sharpies would have been too much for me that first day haha. :D

If that only happens to you on the first day! Then you kicked that deserts ass and you WIN Burning Man! :wink:

Maybe if you had everyone that stopped by your camp and all your neighbors sign and draw on the tarps they will get decorated?

Asquared wrote:my plan is to tie a rope around the truck, weaving in and out of the tarp grommets. probably skip the roof...

Are you just using the truck for storage and transportation?
I jumped to the conclusion that you're using it for shelter, too.
illy dilly

Postby tattoogoddess » Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:27 pm

I would say get a big box of sharpies and let the community go at it! Then you have something fun to take home!
tattoogoddess

Postby lucky420 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:57 pm

In 2010 we were in our yurt one afternoon during a dust storm. To damn. Tired to venture out. Anyway we had brought a big box of sharpies and started drawing on the inside roof panels.

Eventually we had a whole theme going. Reptiles vs sea creatures (mutated with weapons). It was eventually named "The Shit Panties War".

Even though we have since changed out our hexayurt roof, we've kept those panels...

Good times, good memories 8)
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby FIGJAM » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:01 pm

Built TinkerMom a "FIGJAM garden sprayer" today! 8)
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby unjonharley » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:58 pm

Yeah for the Fig..

This years tarps are coming from my druggie son in law.. Kicked his ass out 6 years ago.. Druggies like to think they can paint houses.. I kept some fine cotton.. Paint drip spots and all.. This is in line with the theme..
unjonharley

Postby tattoogoddess » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:20 pm

Oh yeah got the bar front done today. Meh, not my best work, but it is done.

What one are you talking about? This one?

Or this?
tattoogoddess

Postby Milayna » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:01 pm

Not your best work??? Tattoogoddess that looks AMAZING!!
Milayna

Postby tattoogoddess » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:53 pm

Ehhh just look to femmy to me and I fucked up on bath. But thanks. Now to finish off the big 10x10 canvas with the other logo
tattoogoddess

Postby Turtleburp » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:02 pm

tattoogoddess wrote:Ehhh just look to femmy to me and I fucked up on bath. But thanks. Now to finish off the big 10x10 canvas with the other logo

For anyone else over the hill:

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/femmy
Amateur shirtcocker

Simon's left sock and cat porn photographer

Turtleburp

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Barbie Holiday Village - Soap Supplied!

Postby Savannah » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:03 pm

TattooGoddess, nice bar. :)

. . . Neither of those costumes photos are the one I remember, but I do especially like (and remember) the gunshot girl; very cool.

The photo I was referring was a closeup of you in 3/4 profile with a really clear detail on your makeup (lots of red and black) and I'm pretty sure it was skeleton/Day of the Dead/Latin influence. Well, whatever; people got to revisit your makeup skill. :D

Savannah

Postby TT120 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:17 pm

illy dilly wrote:The drop cloth kind take spray paint pretty well, especially if your wash them once first. I imagine that washing would be hard since they'll be large enough to cover a box truck. I bet soaking them in the tub with some soap then rinsing and drying would have a similar effect.

You can wash a large tarp like that in your driveway with a shop broom, a garden hose, and some laundry soap. Works great. Rinse the driveway down first though.
Life's a bitch, then you go to Burning Man - Unjonharley

W6BJD
TT120

Camp Name: Orphans Too

PreviousNext

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks