The Bar, Volume #4

All things outside of Burning Man.
burner von braun
Burning Since: 2010

Re: The Bar, Volume #4

Post by burner von braun » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:29 am

*drops in for lunch*

Hi BoxBurner, good to see you stopping by..
and thanks, I think I'll have a couple of those!

Ugly Dougly wrote:Hi, BVB!
Hey UD! (better late than never)
I hope your new job is going well
The old world is dying, and the new world struggles to be born: now is the time of monsters. --Antonio Gramsci

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:40 pm

ygmir wrote:I'd rather see people "default" to polite or considerate, if there is a question.
You know, yggy, there is no polite way to say, "Fishy, you do not have the same right to be uninterrupted when reading a book in public that everyone else does", because what is said is so offensive that it cannot be rendered polite by any phraseology. Seriously, it's only a couple of notches down from "She deserved to be raped, look how she was dressed."
"Helpful" does not negate that.

So, everyone, show of han--no type into this with your own two red hands: Fishy, you deserved it, look how you were flaunting your crippled-dom in everyone's face.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Savannah
Burning Since: 2025

Post by Savannah » Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:01 pm

I don't know if it's any comfort, but I would've been irritated by that lady, too. If I have earbuds in, and am reading a book (double whammy) that does pretty much say "I'm thoroughly busy". So I know that when other people are doing it, it means the same thing.

Some folks push on, despite this. :roll: They all share the same lack of a clue.

The lady was (unintentionally) rude.
*** The Burning Man Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:11 pm

Fishy, I don't think you deserve it either, but I also think it's not ALWAYS about the chair.

I would'nt treat you any different than anybody else, but that does'nt mean you would'nt misunderstand some kindness offered.

I hugged you the first time I met you and it was'nt because of any damn chair! :roll:
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

ygmir
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:28 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:
ygmir wrote:I'd rather see people "default" to polite or considerate, if there is a question.
You know, yggy, there is no polite way to say, "Fishy, you do not have the same right to be uninterrupted when reading a book in public that everyone else does", because what is said is so offensive that it cannot be rendered polite by any phraseology. Seriously, it's only a couple of notches down from "She deserved to be raped, look how she was dressed."

So, everyone, show of han--no type into this with your own two red hands: Fishy, you deserved it, look how you were flaunting your crippled-dom in everyone's face.

ok, cue Twilight Zone music.

I feel I'm not just on the wrong page, but in the wrong book.

your original post really got me to thinking.........and I waited lots of posts later, to say my piece. I did it purposely, so as not to be directly addressing your particular encounter, but to comment, on how we as humans, bumble, at best when it comes to interacting.
I see it a lot, hell, I'm sure I do it a lot. Try to do good, and it just doesn't work out that way.

In no way, was I implying you have no right to be left alone.
But your story was a great way, for me to open my mind and consider it all.........and then I commented.

How, may I ask, do you equate a misplaced, (rude?) interruption of your day, even if 30 seconds or less (not that the effects didn't linger, longer) with your "rape" analogy, or thinking people judge you by your form of transport?

I respect you, who you are, and what you do here, and on the playa.
I meant no disrespect, by my penning of said treatise.
I do stand by my (you quoted) statement, as it can stand alone.
In no way, was it penned or intended, to imply anything toward you in particular, or your situation at any given time.
If you look hard enough, you will be able to take offense, and that is your right.
But know, none was meant.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Brainy Bar

Post by trilobyte » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:18 am

I've got the same twilight zone music playing, but it may have had something to do with the vodka… Yes, absolutely, Fishy, ideally nobody would ever interrupt or bug you when you didn't want to be bugged. But when people can't just always know when the right time is, and they guess wrong, I think it's a far better thing to do so in an offer of being nice rather than to do so in an attempt to be rude. "Can you move, we need the table" or <insert rude behavior>. Would you rather have someone offer help when you didn't need it, or leave you hanging/in distress when you did need it? It's your choice whether you let it bug you at all, and if so how much of your time and energy you want to invest in being angry or offended or upset.

You don't have to be flaunting your crippledom for people to bug you. Having used crutches, leg braces, slings and the like a few times I can tell you people bug you then, too. And in a lot of parts of the country, if you wear an outlandish style of dress, hair color, or haircut, people feel they have an automatic invitation to just strike up conversations with you or tell you their opinions. Or if you look like someone they know, they'll interrupt you in the middle of anything from private conversation to going to the bathroom. My earlier suggestion to don't let it bug you or just smile and say no thanks and move on isn't because you're wrong to do or feel otherwise, it's because I think your time and energy are worth more than that. No offense was meant by the suggestion.

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:05 am

:coffee: :coffee: :coffee:

Way too early in here.

Elorrum

Post by Elorrum » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:18 am

Egbok. And :coffee:
good day to us. I get to play with fencing today, and the weather looks fine. Big wind blew down two sheds yesterday...piggies shouldn't build with plastic panels.
”On second thought, Let’s not go to Camelot. It’s a silly place.”
Roll on through, Tumbleweed.

AntiM

Post by AntiM » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:22 am

Big winds here right now. Stupid neighbors put their trashcans on the curb anyway, I'll be picking up their garbage later today.

Did not sleep well, the trees were roaring.

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:25 am

trilobyte wrote:how much of your time and energy you want to invest in being angry or offended or upset.
Exactly!

I don't have the time or energy to waste, let alone figuring the motive for the offer.

It seems every time I eat in a restaurant, they always wait till I have a mouth full of food to ask if "everything is ok"!

I find this puzzleing, but that's as much of an emotional investment as I'm willing to make. 8)
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

ygmir

Post by ygmir » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:39 am

*wanders in, makes CCC*
Careful in those winds, AntiM......owing to your name and all, you may want to check for ruby slippers sticking out from under your house when you go out.

*noting Elorrums work cam*
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

magicmarty
Camp Name: Hushville - Althing

Post by magicmarty » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:42 am

Morning, Trillo, AntiM, FJ, Elorrum and YG. :coffee: :coffee: :coffee: Winds have died down and the days ahead look sunny and warm. Hope to start my annual Playa Schwag project this weekend. Never too early. Meanwhile, dives into the NEB for a spell.

Cheers,

(((LF)))
"Creativity requires the courage to let go of certainties" - Erich Fromm

Stay firm but loose!

MagicMarty

AntiM

Post by AntiM » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:56 am

Going to be windy all day here, and we have a skiff of snow. Other parts of the state have a foot or more. Yikes. My spring flowers look very dejected. I planted violas in my containers on Sunday, the leaves still look good, but the blossoms are all face down in the dirt. :(

trilobyte
Site Admin

Post by trilobyte » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:27 am

Good luck with the winds. We got them something awful the other night, broke a record for highest wind ever recorded on Ocean Beach. That weather system moved through quickly, and all signs point to this being a warm, sunny day. Woohoo for the schwag project, Marty. Figgy, sounds like you and I get the same waitresses and waiters. I was up late last night, and off to a slow start this morning, time for more caffeine!

canexplain
Burning Since: 2013

Post by canexplain » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:14 pm

It was 70+ degrees here yesterday, the high today is suppose to be friggin 19 degrees, and I am trying to pack for Coachella which might be 100 degrees Poor brain , need more :coffee:
Coachella Wk2 04/19-04/21
Wakarusa 05/30-06/02
Bonnaroo 06/13-06/16
Dave Matthews Band 08/23-08/24
BurningMan 08/26-09/02
VooDoo 11/01-11/03
Bridge Benefit 10/???

MyDearFriend
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp THIRTEENTH BARBIE

Post by MyDearFriend » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:44 pm

Hello everyone! We are having beautiful weather here today, sorry, 80 degrees bright sun & light winds. 8)

But, I have caught a bad cold from my Dear Husband, so, am not quite as cheerful as I could be. Pretty jazzed on the sudafed, and trying to take less caffeine. :?

Good luck with your schwag-making, Marty! I have 2 pieces of your working hanging around my neck right now 8) 8) 8) and would definitely take a third, yes please! :D
"BTW I'm not your wife so don't lie to me." -Ratty

ygmir

Post by ygmir » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:27 pm

*crawls in*

dang, back from an ass kicking day.
Concrete guy said if he couldn't pour today,it'd be 3 weeks out.........so we had to do a days worth of forming by 1 pm, then pour.
had one minor blow out, so was there till 6 straightening things out. .dang.

did have some fun though:
the county crew was mowing next to us, and the gal on the mower stopped, because a king snake had scurried out from under mower and she was intrigued/frightened, but didn't want to kill it.
So, we all ran over, *even Clyde* to "check it out. This was Clydes first "snake", he sniffed it, and it struck at him.......he ran off!! haha
and then it crawled back up in the mower.
we looked all over, and could not find it, hidden in said machinery.. so, as discussions of her finishing the job, and her not wanting to get back on the mower ensued, I got a long stick, and lightly slid it up her pant leg.......... hilarity ensued!!!

*shuffles/limps to IBBOD*
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

MyDearFriend

Post by MyDearFriend » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:42 am

Yggy, you are so bad. 8) Glad you had some fun!

Now I need some :coffee: :coffee: :coffee:

Good morning, all!

ygmir

Post by ygmir » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:10 am

*wanders in, makes CCC*
Hi MDF.
Are the cherries blooming back there? I've always wanted to see that.

*heads for ROS*
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Aurelia
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: the Love Camp

Post by Aurelia » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:17 am

ooh!
I am still screaming with Clyde and the girl

AntiM

Post by AntiM » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:37 am

Poor snakey snake.

ygmir

Post by ygmir » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:39 am

aserendipity wrote:ooh!
I am still screaming with Clyde and the girl
well now...........

yeah, we searched the mower high and low, and looked in the lawn for pieces.......I'm in hopes it hid out and crawled away after shutdown. Beautiful snake, as snakes go. just a young one.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Ugly Dougly
Burning Since: 1996

Post by Ugly Dougly » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:05 am

ygmir wrote:*wanders in, makes CCC*
Careful in those winds, AntiM......owing to your name and all, you may want to check for ruby slippers sticking out from under your house when you go out.

*noting Elorrums work cam*
My (knee-jerk) reaction as well. :) But that would be too lucky.

Ugly Dougly

Post by Ugly Dougly » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:07 am

And this is for you, Clyde:

Aurelia
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: the Love Camp

Post by Aurelia » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:07 am

Is it the young ones who always get in trouble
and the old ones who settle the score?
speaking of snakes of course

My daughter some years ago was practicing the piano down stairs ...
She started screaming because a snake was curled around the pedals.
It was the end of piano playing.

Did not get "Stones" ticket yet.
But will continue checking

Ugly Dougly

Post by Ugly Dougly » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:12 am

Fishy, putting myself in your situation, I am sure I would frequently wonder if I was helpless.
Then someone comes along, asking if they can help me.
If I was in a fragile state of mind, then I might declare myself to be indeed helpless and descend into a maelstrom of self-pity.
Just because a stranger was KIND. :shock: How dare they.
Fishy, snap yourself out of it.
We love you.
theCryptofishist wrote:

trilobyte
Site Admin

Post by trilobyte » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:54 am

Good luck with Stones tickets, though to put it into perspective it'd be cheaper to get tix to one of the Hyde Park shows in July and fly to London than pay what most people are asking. I also wouldn't be surprised if the arena shows are simply a precursor to some stadium dates to be announced at a later date (post-Hyde Park). They play a small number of shows in much smaller venues to generate buzz and spread the word that RS is the hot ticket. Then, whaddaya know, a few months later they're back in larger spaces and tickets are much easier to come by.

Anyhow… work continues on the ziggurat design. So many revisions to each of the parts, and the math makes my head hurt… but it's starting to come together. Hopefully within the next day or two I'll finally get to an iteration that fits together perfectly. More booze is definitely in order...

MyDearFriend

Post by MyDearFriend » Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:45 pm

Ha, Trilo, I think you are correct about the those tickets. Maybe I am just old & cynical (not as old as Mick, though). Good luck with the ziggurat, wow!

And yes Yggy the cheery blossoms are full out now, so beautiful, but utterly impossible to predict time-wise for travel purposes. :? You'd have to get really lucky. But I would love to show you around DC!

lucky420
Burning Since: 2023
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:25 pm

Yayyyyyyy!!! the burning man bill in the nv legislature passed....http://www.ktvn.com/story/21936281/neva ... g-man-bill

hip hip hooray, now where's taht damn Happy Thread :coffee: :mrgreen:
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

lucky420
Burning Since: 2023
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:27 pm

still got to hit the assembly floor but this is a move in the right direction

cha
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Return to “Open Discussion”