Hopeful first-timer 2013

Hopeful first-timer 2013

Postby Paulkeilbach » Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:29 am

Howdy,

I'm a 21-year-old almost college graduate from Orange County, California. I've never been to Burning Man and I don't have any friends or family who have been. I first heard about Burning Man from my dental hygienist when I was 17. She regaled me with stories of some of the adventures she had experienced during her first trip to Burning Man while she poked and prodded and polished my teeth. Without knowing it, she planted the seed in my mind that day, that has grown into the thriving desire that I feel right now.

I recently started getting serious about making 2013 my first pilgrimage. I'll be graduating from California State University, Fullerton any day now and I can hardly think of a better way to honor the completion of this part of my education than to venture into the world alone and experience something radical and new.

Being that I have no friends, family, or significant acquaintances who have attended Burning Man, I have always felt somewhat limited by my lack of knowledge regarding what Burning Man is. Most of the 'information' I have received via word of mouth has merely been opinion tainted by prejudice and ignorance and given to me by those who mean well but who have never attended Burning Man. It was only days ago that I decided to take matters into my own hands and to seek the truth.

It became clear to me from the beginning of my quest for knowledge that I felt a calling to attend Burning Man. No longer do I think in terms of if, but only of when I will go. When I will go to Burning Man, as it turns out, is a difficult question in and of itself. The well-organized college student in my head says, "go when you have time. Burning Man doesn't fit into your schedule this summer. Maybe next year." At the same time the eager young adult inside of me begs to be released. My thirst for knowledge, to see this Burning Man for myself is unquenchable and cannot wait until 'maybe next year.' It is my belief that time is a matter of priority and that one has time for anything he or she believes is important. My calendar has been packed full for years now and there's every sign showing that trend will go on. As my schedule continues to become more and more densely packed I must make the time now to consider Burning Man a priority in order to satisfy my calling.

I realized quickly that tickets to Burning Man are not something that you can just pick up at the grocery store. Five days ago, I signed up to receive a ticket through the STEP program. The uncertainty of where I fall on the wait list and of whether or not I will ever receive a ticket hangs over my head and taunts me as I continue to make plans and scheduling arrangements for an event that I don't yet even have a ticket to attend. How many unknowns can a planner like me withstand? Will I ever get a ticket through STEP? Will I ever get one at all? What will meet me when I arrive in Black Rock City knowing nobody and nothing of the culture, save what I could find in a few online pages? Will I find a camp? Will it be the right camp for me? Should I even try to join a camp? How can I be more prepared? Am I doing this right? Whats the best way to attend Burning Man?

I come here in the hopes that I will learn more about Burning Man and come closer to the answers to these questions by interacting with seasoned burners, making contacts, and asking questions. Yes I can read the official publications online, but that can only take me so far and I believe that I will find the most valuable answers to these questions on a public forum. I hope to read opinions from many different people accompanied by reasons and justification. I believe that the more I see and the more I learn, the closer I will come to finding my own truth.

Thank you,

Paul Keilbach
Paulkeilbach

Burning Since: 2013

Re: Hopeful first-timer 2013

Postby Sham » Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:06 am

Welcome Paul. Excellent creative writing!
I understand your fear of the unknown. I had it myself and frankly I was scared to death of this. It's a matter of hitting your fears head on and not looking back.
Yes, you should read all the guides, but practical information is very good too. You might consider joining a regional group and meeting some veterans who can help guide you.
I will also add, that one of my favorite things to do at BM, is to head out in the morning by myself, and see, do and meet as many people as possible. It's that kind of place where you don't need to travel in a group to have a good time. The art, artcars, theme camps and performance art, are something you can take in all by yourself. With that said, you will meet new friends before you even hit the main entry gate.
As far as a ticket goes; if you want one, you will get one. There are hundreds of people who have a change in plans at the last minute. Just plan on going and it will happen.
Check here for the regional group in your area. http://regionals.burningman.com/us_ca_oc.html
Good luck with your plans and we'll see you on the playa.

Sham....
Sham

Postby FIGJAM » Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:51 am

Hi Paul.

You've made several reverances to "Your Schedule".

Well, it's YOUR DAMN SCHEDULE, so schedule Burning Man!!! :lol:

Now for your insperational message.....

[media]
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby illy dilly » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:02 am

Paulkeilbach wrote:
I realized quickly that tickets to Burning Man are not something that you can just pick up at the grocery store. Five days ago, I signed up to receive a ticket through the STEP program. The uncertainty of where I fall on the wait list and of whether or not I will ever receive a ticket hangs over my head and taunts me as I continue to make plans and scheduling arrangements for an event that I don't yet even have a ticket to attend. How many unknowns can a planner like me withstand? Will I ever get a ticket through STEP? Will I ever get one at all? What will meet me when I arrive in Black Rock City knowing nobody and nothing of the culture, save what I could find in a few online pages? Will I find a camp? Will it be the right camp for me? Should I even try to join a camp? How can I be more prepared? Am I doing this right? Whats the best way to attend Burning Man?

Hey Paul, welcome to eplaya!!!
You've come to the right place! You'll be able to find the answers or some info to help you make decisions to create your own answers to everyone of those questions.
Dig around a little bit and you'll find tons of great info! When asking questions, especially if starting a new thread, make sure the question is somewhat specific.
"What kind of tent is best"= FAIL
"I have a ______ tent I use for _______, and I think if I add ______ it will be great. Will it work well? What can I do to make it work better?"= GOOD QUESTION
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby trilobyte » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:07 am

Welcome aboard! And don't worry one little bit about not knowing anybody, that will soon change. You're smack dab in between two really awesome and active regions. Yes, I think there's an Orange County regional, but LA & San Diego have a LOT of stuff going on, there are many opportunities for meetups, going to events, and even a campout or two (the Los Angeles regional recently had a campout out in Joshua Tree with something like 800 people turning out). Go sign up to both of those mailing lists from the regionals page, and then take a look and connect with their Facebook Groups (as well as the one for Orange County). The first timer's guide, survival guide, and board will help you work out all the logistics and answer the questions as you plan, good luck with STEP!
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby Savannah » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:30 am

Hi Paul!

If you really wanna go, start planning as if you will. :) 'Cause if you don't plan, and end up with a ticket, you'll feel kinda silly and will have to pass.

The only concession I ever make to uncertainty is not booking unrefundable rooms or flights.

If you're worried about how it's going to fit into your schooling, read this:

Survival Guide for College Students Missing First Week?
viewtopic.php?t=53491

Follow the Regionals link Trilobyte gave you; meeting locals will help ease your mind in a number of ways. You don't have to camp with them. Joining a camp is an individual thing. Do you want to? You don't have to, you know.

Camps ask for some of your time and help and usually a fee. In return, you might get some shade and camaraderie, maybe additional things depending in the camp. There's no one way of doing things. "The best way to Burn" for example--you won't know that until you're in the Exodus line, scribbling down how you're going to make it even better next year. There are 100 different opinions on the best way to Burn.

You're going to meet a lot of people either way--you'll have neighbors.
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby Paulkeilbach » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:35 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm still figuring out how to use this forum and I'm not completely sure I'm doing it right, but I just wanted to say thank you all so much for all the information. I've already learned a lot from scrolling through the ePlaya and from reading all of your suggestions here. I spoke with my faculty-advisor this morning and arranged to miss and make up the first week of school/student teaching so my schedule is officially cleared for Burning Man! These are exciting times!

Thank you for being so knowledgeable, generous, friendly, welcoming, and helpful!

See you on the Playa (hopefully),

Paul
Paulkeilbach

Postby biblioclasm » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:06 pm

Hi Paul. I'm a first-timer, too. Thanks for introducing yourself here.
biblioclasm

Postby SaritaSyrah » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:18 pm

Paulkeilbach wrote:Hi everyone,
I've already learned a lot from scrolling through the ePlaya and from reading all of your suggestions here.

Paul

^^ This ^^

Gold star.

Welcome to eplaya!
BURN SHIT!
SaritaSyrah

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp and Wine Bistro

Postby Savannah » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:32 pm

Paulkeilbach wrote:Hi everyone,

I'm still figuring out how to use this forum and I'm not completely sure I'm doing it right, but I just wanted to say thank you all so much for all the information. I've already learned a lot from scrolling through the ePlaya and from reading all of your suggestions here. I spoke with my faculty-advisor this morning and arranged to miss and make up the first week of school/student teaching so my schedule is officially cleared for Burning Man! These are exciting times!

Nice work, Paul.

Paul . . . Gettin' it Done. :mrgreen:

Thank you for being so knowledgeable, generous, friendly, welcoming, and helpful!

We try. Sometimes we're bitchy too. Or protective of the event. Or some unholy combination.

See you on the Playa (hopefully),

You can, if you want. :) But the playa can be really distracting.

ePlaya Meet & Greet
Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro (near 4:00 & E Street; stay tuned to ePlaya for details)
Wednesday of the Burn
6pm until . . . 9 or 10 or something, whatever

It's a potluck, so bring ice, food or a bottle of something if at all possible, but don't freak out if you don't; just come. :D
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby jkisha » Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:30 pm

Hey there, welcome to eplaya!
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Return to Introduce Yourself!