Work in Progress 2013

All things outside of Burning Man.

Re: Work in Progress 2013

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:35 pm

Holy, fucking shit. I've got to get myself on your schwag list this year.

(Yes, I understand that this is not the schwag, but even though the actual schwag is going to be a few notches lower, if that's the mark, it will be some awesome schwag.)
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby ygmir » Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:35 pm

wow, very cool. so they can do it in metal?

do you have any info on personal 3d printers, prices and quality?
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Camp Name: qqqq

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:44 pm

A quick google search got me from $13,000 to 22,000...
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Postby trilobyte » Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:54 pm

I'm not that familiar with the personal ones, I think anything remotely decent is well over a thousand bucks and pretty much is just ABS plastic. It's not as strong as something would be if it was a full-on manufactured piece, but still pretty good. Something that prints with metal would be ridiculously expensive, we use an outside printing service called Shapeways. Up until last fall they were only in Europe so it took many many weeks to get the job printed, but now they have a place in NY and it doesn't take as long. They also have tools on their site to 'flight check' the model you upload and make sure it'll come out the way you intend. Silly stuff, like something being too thin or too thick, can cause a design to go drastically wrong, and those mistakes can get expensive - good on them for helping ppl keep from wasting dough.

The best advice I can give on tinkering with design software, aside from drink heavily, is to have patience and play around. Save what you're doing as you go, and remember that you can almost always undo the last couple steps. If you want to experiment with taking something in a new direction, just save the file with a slightly different name (01, 02, 03 or A, B, C, etc) and plod along. Most of the 3D apps have an ability to squash and stretch things using sliders or handles, so it's just a matter of getting used to the basics of the program and then tinkering. And don't be afraid to ask uncle google, the internet is full of tutorials and videos.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby trilobyte » Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:25 pm

Meanwhile, work continues on the ziggurat components. After re-designing one of the parts and checking it on the model, I was camming around to see how it looked and came upon this 'view from the inside' as it were. Still very unfinished, but a fun shot and nice to see that things are starting to line up as expected.

trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby trilobyte » Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:11 pm

This one's not a playa project, I finally remembered to upload the photos from the weekend on a little table I built. We're in a new place and we've got a new couch which we love. The only downside is that the new thing is on the wide side (if you're not on one of the sides, where will you put your drink?) and it's low to the ground (the old one was up on legs, and one of our cats liked having a place she could hide or use as a cats-only shortcut). So I stopped at the lumber yard and got a few poplar boards to make a dead simple table.

Then add primer...

…and a couple coats of paint. I still had some of the red paint I used to make the Idea Deli counter at last year's burn so I went with that.

After it got a chance to dry, I slipped it into place behind the couch. The board between the legs on the sides serves to make things a bit more stable, and makes it a bit better chill space for the cats :) Bonus points for the playa project paint working well with the color of the sofa and pillows...or is that our loft furniture going well with the stuff we make for the playa?

trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby trilobyte » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:54 pm

Woohoo - finally got all the parts of my ziggurat model to work today! Here it is from the front:

And from the back, showing all the supports and behind-the-scenes stuff:

Of course that's just the base structure design on its own. There will be an altar and shade structure up on top of the ziggurat, and there will be a number of other ground-level elements as well. Next I'll make a version of the model in Second Life that I can "walk around in" (virtually speaking) and then make a model and do a test build of a few components. Then I'll be able to start manufacturing all the parts.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby MyDearFriend » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:06 pm

Awesome work, Trilo! 8) 8) 8)
Practice Love. Exercise Sex.

"When life seems dangerous and unmanageable, just remember that it is, and that you can't survive forever."
MyDearFriend

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp DREAD PIRATE BARBIE

Postby clocksnmirrors » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:36 pm

holy shmoly trilo that's going to be amazing!!
WEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeee heee heee heeeee! *burp*
clocksnmirrors

Burning Since: 2012

Postby ygmir » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:34 pm

Zoiks!!!!
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby aserendipity » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:08 pm

Trilo ,
so fine !
aserendipity

Postby trilobyte » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:34 am

Thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback and encouragement. Next I'll figure out the parts I need to do a test build of a small section with full-sized parts (hopefully I can to all that from a single sheet of ply), set everything up in VCarve and book my time on shopbot. Then maybe finish it a bit with the router, we'll see. Then I'll climb and jump on that a bit and see if it's as sturdy as I think. Once I do a full inventory of what I'll need I'll also likely do a scale model using luan or smaller, cutting with the laser.

I've worked on bigger projects, but only as a member of a larger art collective. This (the whole project) will be my biggest piece yet as the design lead, and pushes a few boundaries for me. It's both exciting and daunting….
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby delle » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:38 am

trilobyte wrote:
The best advice I can give on tinkering with design software, aside from drink heavily.....

You so have me pegged with this one. I love new technologies in principle, but find I save my best, worst words for when I'm learning new software.

Absolutely fabulous work you've done there Trilo. The stuff on the last page is really inspired.
He soars not high who fears to fall
delle

Postby clocksnmirrors » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:02 pm

more old luggage recycled for fun and profit

american tourister train case

converted for use as my bicycle basket
clocksnmirrors

Postby Drawingablank » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:57 pm

That is an awesome bike basket (the bike looks great too), but the weight of that (and whatever you put in it) might make it a handful to steer at low speeds.

Your mileage may vary, but I find that even one bag of ice in a front basket makes steering awkward as the weight gives momentum to the slightest turn of the handlebars. At higher speed this is less of an issue because the wheel acts as a gyroscope, but in congested areas it can be a problem.

Personally I would add a rack behind the seat and mount it to that.

But at any rate, load it up and take it out for some practice off the pavement before you hit the playa.

clocksnmirrors wrote:more old luggage recycled for fun and profit

american tourister train case

converted for use as my bicycle basket
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide
Drawingablank

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby MyDearFriend » Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:10 am

Awesome conversion, CnM 8) 8) 8)

What kind of paint did you use?
Practice Love. Exercise Sex.

"When life seems dangerous and unmanageable, just remember that it is, and that you can't survive forever."
MyDearFriend

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp DREAD PIRATE BARBIE

Postby ygmir » Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:26 am

beautiful bike, and work. Thanks for sharing!!!
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby strange love » Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:32 pm

Nice table Trilo! Info on the couch? I've been looking for a low-seat modular couch for a while..
strange love

Postby clocksnmirrors » Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:45 am

thanks guys!

the paint is krylon spray acrylic

Drawingablank you're right about the weight. i'm making a tow trailer for the heavy stuff
clocksnmirrors

Postby ygmir » Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:36 am

clocksnmirrors wrote:thanks guys!

the paint is krylon spray acrylic

Drawingablank you're right about the weight. i'm making a tow trailer for the heavy stuff

I've got an old baby tow behind the bike trailer, if you want.
IIRC, hooks to the axle and has/had and enclosure you'd zip for the kid to be inside.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby trilobyte » Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:08 am

That's an awesome basket, clocksnmirrors, great work!

strange love, the couch is from Ikea, the strangely pronounceable kivik. It's a whole modular system, we went with a pair of the chaise loungers that are clamped together (so nothing separates into a giant canyon between the cushions haha).
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby unjonharley » Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:54 pm

Went out looking for luggage to fit the tie loops on the back of the trike seat..
"DOH!" Saw the travel case the day and liked it.. Them forgot it..
A travel case is just what I need.. Not wanting to steal your design.. But I'm going to, Right down to the map inside.. Outside will yellow to match the trike..
unjonharley

Postby trilobyte » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:17 am

I made some progress on whipping together a 3D model of the camp…

The blue waxy bits are elements that I haven't yet designed, but I wanted to have something to show campmates where things are headed. I also haven't yet added the signage, bike racks, additional vehicles, or details like tents, tables, and seating. That stuff's not so much essential for communicating the plan, but if I get some time I wouldn't mind tinkering with if only to get more experience and skills with the software. Next I've got to firm up my parts lists and work up my plans for the scale model (which I'll cut this weekend) and the test build of a full size section next week.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby ygmir » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:40 am

It's great watching this, Trilo!! thanks for sharing it.
it's gonna be awesome, I'm sure!
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby trilobyte » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:32 pm

No pretty pictures to post, but managed to get a few things done. Picked up a sheet of luan to use with the laser and cut it down to 24x12 inch sheets. Some of the laser cutters I work with have larger beds, but some are only that big. Then I poured a drink and went back into C4D and meticulously took apart the ziggurat model and did a count of how many of each piece it'll require. Refill drink, rinse, and repeat to make sure the count's the same (384 pieces!). I checked the thickness of the luan with the calipers to make sure I had the right numbers for scaling, then applied the resize to each of my parts in Illustrator and started laying out each 'page' of luan that I'll be shooting with lasers this weekend. Double-checked it all again to be on the safe side, everything should be good to go for the laser sessions. Next I'll set up the job for the shopbot session I have booked for next week. I also went ahead and booked another shopbot session two weeks out, since I'll either need to test a reworked design, or get the ball rolling on all the parts.

While I have access to a desktop router at the workshop place I use, we went ahead and ordered a router of our own. It'll be much easier to do the routing on the ziggurat pieces at our place, plus it's a tool we'd use on other projects if we had one handy. Also grabbed some router bits, and I ordered a little tripod adapter for my phone. It's got a decent camera (for stills and shooting video), so I figure it might be fun to set it up in the corner on a little desktop tripod we have to shoot some coverage of different steps along the way. I also grabbed the trikes and one of the Fertile Minds signs (from last year). Having the trikes in the loft will let us get started on any tweaks or upgrades for this year (Pandorra wants to step up her bike shade efforts), and once I get the sign cleaned up I want to put it up on the wall near one of the entrances to the loft (I'll definitely need to find some studs to screw into, that thing is heavy).
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby trilobyte » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:24 pm

Router, bits, and tripod adapter arrived today. In the pic below it's holding the phone, and is connected to a little desktop tripod I already had. That will let me do a little hands-free shooting of stuff while I'm working on the project. While we do have a camcorder that I could use, I don't want to have it around with uber-fine dust or metal particles in the air when I'm cutting/grinding/routing. The phone's pretty much sealed, with bonus points that everything I need to shoot video with the phone can easily fit in a pocket (Pandorra's video camera is a separate bag of stuff).

The the shot above I pointed it at the screen of the laptop, showing my VCarve session as I finished working up the ziggurat test build parts for next Wednesday.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby ygmir » Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:07 pm

cool stuff Trilo......ha, it's sort of neat, we seem to work on opposite ends of the scale.
I just re-purposed a 100 or more year old wood chip fan (for vacuuming wood chips in a saw mill and blowing them into a furnace), which originally ran on a leather belt, and was converted to an electric motor when they came along.
took the impeller out and put pipe fittings on each end (had to creat my own 8 1/8' o.d. pipe for an upper sleeve).
Now, it's a bend to direct the smoke from the Hofstove up above the roof line (a piece of ( 8 1/4" I.D. 1/4" wall )pipe will go vertical until the top is 3' on the horizontal from the roofing) and have a snow cutter/roof brace attached.

this unit will hang from one of the exposed beams, to carry the pipe coming out through the wall and turning the smoke up. The black plate can be removed, to allow cleaning of both horizontal and vertical pipe sections from one spot.

YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby clocksnmirrors » Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:09 pm

ygmir wrote:cool stuff Trilo......ha, it's sort of neat, we seem to work on opposite ends of the scale.
I just re-purposed a 100 or more year old wood chip fan (for vacuuming wood chips in a saw mill and blowing them into a furnace), which originally ran on a leather belt, and was converted to an electric motor when they came along.
took the impeller out and put pipe fittings on each end (had to creat my own 8 1/8' o.d. pipe for an upper sleeve).
Now, it's a bend to direct the smoke from the Hofstove up above the roof line (a piece of ( 8 1/4" I.D. 1/4" wall )pipe will go vertical until the top is 3' on the horizontal from the roofing) and have a snow cutter/roof brace attached.

this unit will hang from one of the exposed beams, to carry the pipe coming out through the wall and turning the smoke up. The black plate can be removed, to allow cleaning of both horizontal and vertical pipe sections from one spot.

can i come be your apprentice?
clocksnmirrors

Postby ygmir » Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:12 pm

clocksnmirrors wrote:
ygmir wrote:cool stuff Trilo......ha, it's sort of neat, we seem to work on opposite ends of the scale.

can i come be your apprentice?

sure:
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby clocksnmirrors » Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:16 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: