Ideas for getting engaged on playa?

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

Ideas for getting engaged on playa?

Postby TheSherif » Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:59 pm

Hi all! this will be my 3rd burn, and after brining my girlfriend to last year's burn, the experience made me realize she's the lucky one.

And so I decided to get engaged on the playa this, time will be sunrise, but the question is how?

Would love to hear any ideas and crazy thoughts people here may have! We are a camp of about 20 people most of whom will be happy to participate in whatever crazy idea we come up with...

Thanks in advance!
TheSherif

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Sacred Cow

Re: Ideas for getting engaged on playa?

Postby Savannah » Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:13 pm

Sunrise is a lovely time out there.

This seems like something fairly personal that you might best put together on your own, but I suppose things to think about include:

* Are you fairly certain of her answer? (This affects everything.)
* Is she an introvert or an extrovert? Do you think she would enjoy a big to-do with everybody watching, or just a few friends . . . or something quiet and beautiful, just the two of you? (How sure are you on a scale of 1 to 10?)
* Do the two of you have a meaningful landmark out there?

. . . Random thought: be really careful with the ring, if you present it on the spot--a zippered pocket on a piece of clothing you are unlikely to remove, for example. Dozens are lost out there every year, and it may not be sized right for her when you give it.
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby some seeing eye » Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:17 pm

Some friends had a beautiful Hindu-tribal wedding in camp in the evening with a great feast after of exotic food and drink which would be unusual to find on the playa. Take into account exhaustion and stress, earlier in the week, or at the peak? A loose costume theme for the event with everyone in the camp participating, but kept secret as a surprise? In years past, there has been a white procession to the Temple - tie into that, then break off to your experience? Everyone up all night or early risers? Art car involved? Friends to snap, video and sound record? Congratulations!
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion
some seeing eye

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Postby BBadger » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:21 pm

I think you should be "dressed" as a shirt cocker.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby MyDearFriend » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:20 pm

TheSherif wrote:Hi all! this will be my 3rd burn, and after brining my girlfriend to last year's burn, the experience made me realize she's I'm the lucky one.

And so I decided to get engaged on the playa this, time will be sunrise, but the question is how?

Would love to hear any ideas and crazy thoughts people here may have! We are a camp of about 20 people most of whom will be happy to participate in whatever crazy idea we come up with...

Thanks in advance!

Fixed that for ya, hon; you're welcome.

I'd suggest, since salty seem to do it for you, taking her to a beach this year instead. Someplace not to far from home, so she can make a graceful getaway if she's not feeling as lucky as you expect her to. :?

I know I know IT'S NOT PAGE 2 YET but, sheesh...
Practice Love. Exercise Sex.

"When life seems dangerous and unmanageable, just remember that it is, and that you can't survive forever."
MyDearFriend

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp DREAD PIRATE BARBIE

Postby ygmir » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:24 pm

BBadger wrote:I think you should be "dressed" as a shirt cocker.

ring dangling from a golden thread.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby BBadger » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:26 pm

MyDearFriend wrote:Fixed that for ya, hon; you're welcome.

I'd suggest, since salty seem to do it for you, taking her to a beach this year instead. Someplace not to far from home, so she can make a graceful getaway if she's not feeling as lucky as you expect her to. :?

I know I know IT'S NOT PAGE 2 YET but, sheesh...

That reality check couldn't wait until page two.

ygmir wrote:ring dangling from a golden thread.

Maybe it doesn't even need to dangle ;)
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

BBadger

Postby maladroit » Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:29 pm

The most memorable method would be to sterilize the ring and embed it as a subdermal implant. Then bring her out to deep playa and unroll a red velvet rug. Kneel before her, draw a sharp dagger from your belt and somberly slash your chest, digging out and presenting the ring before she freaks out too much. The upside is she can't really say no, because you're all set to finish the job on yourself.
maladroit

Burning Since: 2012

Postby Eric » Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:36 am

Savannah wrote:* Are you fairly certain of her answer? (This affects everything.)

This.
Everything else is fluff. I have a friend who did the proposal, and the other party, though very much in love, wasn't ready for that commitment. It caused "a bit" of a wound in their relationship - luckily they're still together, but they're still not married. Probably will be one day, but... who knows?
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby TheSherif » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:17 am

Savannah wrote:
* Is she an introvert or an extrovert? Do you think she would enjoy a big to-do with everybody watching, or just a few friends . . . or something quiet and beautiful, just the two of you? (How sure are you on a scale of 1 to 10?)

Thanks for all the great comments. Yes my use of spellcheck hasn't been great lately. Salting and brining my girlfriend isnt really my thing :twisted:

Good point regarding sure of the answers. I'm probably already late in proposing and since we have been taking about babies there is a high likelihood of her saying yes instead of running away crying ( there are some hilarious videos on YouTube by the way, just search failed proposals.)

Introvert vs. extrovert is an EXCELLENT point I didn't give enough thought to. She may enjoy a small one on one after all.

Thank you all!

P.s - I like the cutting it out of the chest idea, but I'm too much of a wuss and she might faint with all the blood involved...
TheSherif

Postby Savannah » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:21 pm

TheSherif wrote:
Savannah wrote:

Thanks for all the great comments. Yes my use of spellcheck hasn't been great lately. Salting and brining my girlfriend isnt really my thing :twisted:

:lol:

Good point regarding sure of the answers. I'm probably already late in proposing and since we have been taking about babies there is a high likelihood of her saying yes instead of running away crying

Yaaaay. Hahhaha! Very good then. What a relief. PROCEED. :shock:

( there are some hilarious videos on YouTube by the way, just search failed proposals.)

Oh my God, those exist? I could never watch 'em; might have some sort of nervous collapse. I can't even watch auditions on So You Think You Can Dance. I feel too bad when people fail. :lol:

Introvert vs. extrovert is an EXCELLENT point I didn't give enough thought to. She may enjoy a small one on one after all.

Thank you all!

P.s - I like the cutting it out of the chest idea, but I'm too much of a wuss and she might faint with all the blood involved...

Best of luck! Hope you come back and tell us how it went. Unless it would embarrass her, then don't (and we'll just assume it was awesome).
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby TheSherif » Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:48 pm

But if you do get curious check this out -

[media]

The one in minute 3:13 is my personal favorite, right in front of Sbaro and Cinabon... with the guitars...
TheSherif

Postby ranger magnum » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:03 pm

Dick in a box comes to mind...
Drugs may take you down the road to nowhere, but at least its the scenic route.
ranger magnum

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: Camp Yonder/Ottoman Empire

Postby portaplaya » Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:03 pm

Consider arranging a photographer with a long lens to secretly record engagement photos. You can "randomly" run into your accomplice at some landmark and then they can discretely follow you to the final engagement location.

Or you can set up your own camera, with luck. Here are how some photographers did their own engagement photos:
http://petapixel.com/2013/05/31/photogr ... t-the-end/
http://petapixel.com/2013/05/24/how-i-p ... -proposal/
portaplaya

Postby caffeineslinger » Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:46 am

I met my future wife on the playa years ago. We discussed marriage so I knew when I asked her it would be yes. Hopefully you're past that.
I had the ring and brought it out with me and carried it 24/7 until I knew the time was right. It was a Thursday night and I stopped, got down on one knee like I was looking for something in my pack and presented her the ring and asked her if she'd like to spend the rest of her life with me. A crowd quickly gathered. She said yes.
We got married on the playa the next year and will have our 2nd anniversary this year.
If it feels right do it.
You will be freaking out the whole time.
Good luck.
caffeineslinger

Burning Since: 2003

Postby BBadger » Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:42 am

I was kind of hoping that the story ended with you opening up the ring casket and your fiance finding that it was empty ("is this some kind of joke?!") because the ring fell out you from carrying it around in your pocket for multiple years for that "perfect moment."

BBadger

Postby lemur » Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:06 am

both of ya go to the lamplighters camp at 3pm.. enjoy the party... volunteer to light the route to the temple... ride out on luci, our work truck.. then once you finish your route propose out by the temple... walk back with the lights ya hung surrounding you while you look all special in your AWESOME lamplighters robes..

enjoy your lamplighter charm that you both earn for volunteering.. a thing which will be a memory of what ya did... and when

hug and stuff.

enjoy the rest of the night with a tummy full of warm fuzzies.
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby BBadger » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:32 pm

How many of those robes do you keep spare? Does each member get one?

BBadger

Postby portaplaya » Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:43 am

BBadger wrote:How many of those robes do you keep spare? Does each member get one?

Each volunteer wears one while working and then returns it to the lamplighters when done.
portaplaya

Postby unjonharley » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:37 am

I though the playa was all engaging :roll:
unjonharley

Postby BBadger » Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:45 pm

Damn. I wanted a monogrammed robe!

BBadger

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks