Best shelter for first-timer?

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

Re: Best shelter for first-timer?

Postby SaritaSyrah » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:43 pm

if you're bringing a tent, you'll need to modify it to keep it dust-proof (or...dust-proof-ier). The vent at the top and the one or two on the sides, cleverly placed to let the tent "breathe?" Oh hell no, you don't want your tent to breathe. Last year I cut pieces from an old tent and used a whole freaking lot of spray adhesive to cover the vents on both sides. It was effective, but by the time I got home and cleaned my tent, there were already holes. Nothing is playa-proof. Expect anything that can go wrong, to go wrong, and have a plan. Dont expect other people to take care of you. If you dont suck (or if you do...suck...), your neighbors will probably help, but its their vacation, too.

The rain cover that comes with your tent will likely siphon the dust directly into those vents, should you decide not to cover them. Also, bring extra things to stake/wire your tent down. I watched a guy chasing a tent across deep playa last year. Dont let that be you.
BURN SHIT!
SaritaSyrah

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp and Wine Bistro

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:48 pm

SaritaSyrah wrote:I watched a guy chasing a tent across deep playa last year. Dont let that be you.

Unless you want to make a kick-ass art car mutant vehicle.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Captain Goddammit » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:26 am

Lol I can see it now... A rolling tent with an el wire man chasing it...
Best mutant vehicle idea ever!!!
"Whaoomph! Whaomph! Burbbleburbblepattpattpattpatt... WHAAAAAaaoooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa........!!!"
Top fuel dragster, by Elliot Naess
Captain Goddammit

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp I'm going to Hawaii Instead

Postby Dr. Pyro » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:46 am

Get ready for a non-snark response: I would suggest you ship out as much as you reasonably can to a hotel in Reno. I would recommend using the Sands Regency and getting in on the Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro hotel deal, but that's just me. They will hold your stuff until you arrive so you don't have to worry about flying with all that crap. Once you rent your car, drive back and pack your gear and head out to Black Rock City Sunday. We have several people in our Village who do that (they also are known to haunt these threads on occassion) and it seems to work very well.
Dr. Pyro

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby Elorrum » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:07 am

I've never modified my tent. I keep everything packed and put my bedding in a garbage bag every morning, and tip my cot on it's side. I then have two other garbage bags: one for laundry, one for jacket, shoes, things already dusty but not given up on wearing again, but want to keep from total dust. A little fiction I cling to. I sleep clean and still have a tent I can use on other camping trips. Aren't the woods so freaking CLEAN? The dust builds up a bit, but I've made my peace with that.
What's the name of the act? The Aristocrats.
Elorrum

Postby Drawingablank » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:44 am

The method I use and highly recommend for shade is a Monkey Hut http://www.chromatest.net/Lovemonkey/ They are cheap, durable, and easily made from common materials. Aside from the upright poles they are fairly compact for shipping and storage.

I pre assemble the center connectors and UPS all the parts except the poles to my hotel. This includes the preassembled connectors, duct tape, tarp, bungee balls, ratchet straps, hacksaw, and rebar (rebar and hacksaw is optional and can also be picked up when you buy the poles if you want to save on shipping cost).

I fly in, rent a vehicle, pick up my stuff from the hotel and hit Home depot for the 10 foot poles. Aside from wrapping one end of the poles with duct tape and cutting the roof peak pole in half there is little to do but assemble it in place.

My monkey hut has survived 2 burns and several camping trips with no damage other than 2 bent pieces of rebar. I highly recommend it.

This photo shows it on the last day of its second burn:

I only use it for lounging and cooler shade so mine is 10 feet long, if you plan to put a tent inside, a 20 foot length would be better.

If you do go this route, follow the monkey hut instructions precisely - they work perfectly as is. Most of the problems I've seen with huts was due to trying to insert the pipes directly into connectors rather than sleeving them (connectors do not have enough contact area to withstand the stress).
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide
Drawingablank

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby lemur » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:51 am

WHAT HAPPENS TO THE BIG POLES AT THE END?!
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby Drawingablank » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:57 am

Donate them - they are building materials in uncut lengths.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide
Drawingablank

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby Simon of the Playa » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:31 am

is it page two yet?

because i've been waiting for page two.

lemme tell ya something right now, better to find out an asshole is a nice guy, than find out that the nice guy you trusted was an asshole....

chew on that for a while, grasshopper.

now WADE, or WALLOW thru the threads that already exist..

or go here.

https://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/bluetarp

don't say i never gifted you nothing...
breathe deep, the playa is the dust of your ancestors

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby lemur » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:47 am

Simon of the Playa wrote:

youll be offering a hotel deal at the Grand Sierra next year, right?
lemur

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:47 pm

lemur wrote:
Simon of the Playa wrote:

youll be offering a hotel deal at the Grand Sierra next year, right?

And dj school.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby clocksnmirrors » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:02 pm

Captain Goddammit wrote:Shut up Mr. Clocks and Mirrors, I was talkin' about crackers... oh wait, that can be twisted also... never mind.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
WEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeee heee heee heeeee! *burp*
clocksnmirrors

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:05 pm

If you are looking for a used tent on Craigslist, don't use "tent" as a search term. That is the code for indoor gardening materials.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby regentswift » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:38 am

Thank you all!

I was trying to think too large... Now at least I have some direction to pursue...

See you all on the playa!

~~

~Wherever you go, there you are... - Buddha~
~Every intentional act is a Magical Act. - Crowley~
regentswift

Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Dr. Realz

Postby gaminwench » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:19 pm

A lovely thread with just the right balance (?) of info and snark!

Well done, all!

Welcome, RegentSwift!
(and fuck yer day...)
"I'm sorry, but just the thought of a non-controversial thread on ePlaya is controversial." jk
gaminwench

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP

Postby Dr. Dust » Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:46 pm

I absolutely love my REI Alcove Shelter. The poles go together like tent poles, and then you just secure the shade cover thing. It's a viable option for those who travel by plane because the whole thing fits in a small duffel bag, which is included. I've used it two years now, and I'm actually using it this weekend at the Santa Barbara, CA Lucidity Festival (another event which predicts high winds). The tent like design of this structure makes it much more flexible (and therefore less likely to snap) than the EZ up structures. The only draw back is that you MUST use rebar or else this thing will sail away in no time. However, rebar can be bent in the parking lot of HD in Reno, so it doesn't really screw up your baggage logistics.

15.jpg

As you can see, I clipped up some camo netting to block out the afternoon sun. Clips are great because you can easily move your camo netting to the eastern side of the structure to block out the sunrise. Just to be clear, I recommend setting up a tent under the structure (as pictured) I'll definitely be bringing this set up back to BM this year!

Good luck regentswift!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dr. Dust

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Miso Horny

Postby tattoogoddess » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:18 pm

regentswift wrote:
Boijoy wrote:How are you getting to the playa? Help us help you. :)

I'm flying into Reno on Friday night, and renting a car.

I've been reading about the success of dome shelters and the hexayurts. Anyone had any success with travelling with those?

Obviously, I don't want to show up with the wrong equipment, which is why I'm posting here. I tried to navigate the forums, but it's kind of overwhelming. :?

Friday... Meaning towards the end of the burn? If so fuck it! Two days with out shade on your tent is a cake walk.
maladroit- Burning Man is like a second job, except you pay to work there.
Burning Man is just the pre party for exodus! - fellow burner during exodus
http://burnon.wix.com/bloodbathandbeyond
tattoogoddess

Camp Name: bloodbath and beyond

Postby SaritaSyrah » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:43 pm

tattoogoddess wrote:
regentswift wrote:
Boijoy wrote:How are you getting to the playa? Help us help you. :)

I'm flying into Reno on Friday night, and renting a car.

I've been reading about the success of dome shelters and the hexayurts. Anyone had any success with travelling with those?

Obviously, I don't want to show up with the wrong equipment, which is why I'm posting here. I tried to navigate the forums, but it's kind of overwhelming. :?

Friday... Meaning towards the end of the burn? If so fuck it! Two days with out shade on your tent is a cake walk.

I was thinking he (she?) meant the friday before gates open, so he'd (she'd?) have two to three days to prep. Which is, actually, a good plan.
BURN SHIT!
SaritaSyrah

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp and Wine Bistro

Postby CornMan » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:48 pm

If money isn't a big concern ($499 when not on sale), a 10x10 Kodiak ordered and waiting for you at Cabellas in Reno would be the very best tent you can get, and you'll save on shipping costs to Nevada. You could order some 1 inch EMT fittings, 10x10 silver tarp, shade mesh cloth tarps, and bungees from Yuma Tarps in Arizona, and buy the rest you need at Home Depot in Reno in order to put a shade structure over your tent. You can discard the EMT conduit after the festival. It's expensive, but you'll have camp gear that will last many festivals.
The camp with a difference
Never mind the weather
When you camp with Plug & Ply
Your holiday's forever
CornMan

Postby lemur » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:51 pm

lemur

Postby regentswift » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:45 pm

SaritaSyrah wrote:I was thinking he (she?) meant the friday before gates open, so he'd (she'd?) have two to three days to prep. Which is, actually, a good plan.

This is what I meant. Friday before the gates.

And it's He. :)

~~

~Wherever you go, there you are... - Buddha~
~Every intentional act is a Magical Act. - Crowley~
regentswift

Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Dr. Realz

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:12 pm

lemur wrote:Image

Honestly, Lemur, if you do buy a big ass bus like that, paint it with meat, instead of that flashy red.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Previous

Return to Shelter & Camping