Re: LED little black dress

What to wear? What not to wear? Where to find and how to make anything from goggles to fantastic pieces of playawear.

Postby cherryblossom73 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:05 pm

My original intention was to affix the panels straight to the dress. But now I can see the folly of *that* idea. ;-)

I feel fairly confident in the panel and LED leads (although I am not delusional...I know they are not bulletproof), but I can see how the wires attaching onto the panels will be the weakest part. I need to think more on the backing material. I need to be able to attach it to the panel and the dress, but I want it to blend in. (Thus the reason I covered the panels with the same fabric as the dress...it's all about appearances. lol!) I also like the idea of the strain relief for the wiring... hmmmm....now my gears are working.... I appreciate this back and forth of ideas so much!

***some thoughts... The a-line aspect of the dress keeps it from being tight to my body. Makes it easier for me to move around under the dress without the dress flexing/moving too much. I am *not* a 'dance all night at the sound camps' kind of girl, and if I wanted to go dance, I'd probably not wear this dress... ;-) As far as attaching the panels/backing...would it be better or worse to attach them at only the top two corners allowing the bottom to be more free, and thus not flexing with the dress so much (but would it open it up to more damage if it's just dangling there...?)

Just a little more perspective... I took a picture of the pieces of my dress this morning. The black in the middle is the dress base. I am lining it with basic lining material (on the right) so that the wires are not directly in contact with my body. The lining may also be where I attach pockets to hold the circuit board and battery packs, but I'm still not certain of that. The pink is a sheer/gauzy material that I'm using as a little bit of diffusion. Not as good as something thicker, but better than nothing. (And it looks good. ;-) ) All three layers will be sewn together at the neck and arm holes, but left free down the sides and bottom to allow for movement, placement of panels and wires, and ease of repair if necessary.

p.s...thanks for the countdown update, babe! xoxo
cherryblossom73

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Pretty Pickle

Postby Machina » Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:22 pm

Love the idea of using the pink gauzy stuff for diffusion! :D Can't wait to see how this will look.
Machina

Burning Since: 2010

Postby VultureChow » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:30 pm

So I'm taking the easy route and using strands of rgb led pixels for my helmet. Got them running on a test pattern and found that one of the pixels had a blue led out. Upon inspection, there was one solder point that was missing. So I cut out a portion of the plastic covering, put a little bead of solder there and it worked perfectly. My problem is that there is an unprotected hole in the back of the pixel.

Any thoughts on how to patch that? Hot glue is the first thing that comes to mind, but I'm not sure how that would interact with the electronics.

[media]

Eta: oops. Thought I was in another led thread. Did not intend to hijack. Amazing project by the way.
Send lawyers, guns and money - The shit has hit the fan.
VultureChow

Camp Name: Cougar Camp @ Barbie Death Village

Postby BBadger » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:00 pm

Hot glue won't affect the electronics, though it may change the appearance of the strand compared to the original though. Also, you do want to be sure that whatever glue you use is flexible enough for whatever you need it for; hot glue is usually pretty good, but you need to ensure that it actually sticks to whatever you put it on. Some things it doesn't stick too well to.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby VultureChow » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:18 pm

Thanks. This is the back of the chip and led, so it will never be seen.

And as it mounted on a rigid helmet, flexibility is not a big issue. I wound up doing the mask after following junglesmacks adventures and advice. Needed something rigid, but big enough to fit a good number of LEDs. So far I'm happy with the results.
Send lawyers, guns and money - The shit has hit the fan.
VultureChow

Camp Name: Cougar Camp @ Barbie Death Village

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:23 pm

BBadger wrote:Hot glue won't affect the electronics, though it may change the appearance of the strand compared to the original though. Also, you do want to be sure that whatever glue you use is flexible enough for whatever you need it for; hot glue is usually pretty good, but you need to ensure that it actually sticks to whatever you put it on. Some things it doesn't stick too well to.

Sadly, no longer updated, but it is a classic...
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby BBadger » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:17 pm

Not a bad tool actually.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby Machina » Sat May 04, 2013 5:52 pm

VultureChow wrote:So I'm taking the easy route and using strands of rgb led pixels for my helmet. Got them running on a test pattern and found that one of the pixels had a blue led out. Upon inspection, there was one solder point that was missing. So I cut out a portion of the plastic covering, put a little bead of solder there and it worked perfectly. My problem is that there is an unprotected hole in the back of the pixel.

Any thoughts on how to patch that? Hot glue is the first thing that comes to mind, but I'm not sure how that would interact with the electronics.

[media]

Eta: oops. Thought I was in another led thread. Did not intend to hijack. Amazing project by the way.

OMG that is rad.

Love that all this LED stuff is still going. I keep checking back every now and then to see your guys' updates. :)
Machina

Postby cherryblossom73 » Mon May 27, 2013 7:42 am

VultureChow, your helmet is amazing!! I am so glad you posted it!

My dress is finally done! I hit a few design bumps along the way and had to change my thinking several times...but it works and I love it!

(I was just going to post the video, but my other half insisted that I cover the kid screaming/dog barking with some dub. ;-) )

Without further adieu...

[media]
cherryblossom73

Camp Name: Pretty Pickle

Postby Machina » Mon May 27, 2013 7:13 pm

cherryblossom73 wrote:VultureChow, your helmet is amazing!! I am so glad you posted it!

My dress is finally done! I hit a few design bumps along the way and had to change my thinking several times...but it works and I love it!

(I was just going to post the video, but my other half insisted that I cover the kid screaming/dog barking with some dub. ;-) )

Without further adieu...

[media]

I was wondering how this was going... HELL YEAH! That is awesome, and SUPER BRIGHT! Guess you won't need to bring a light with you! Really nice job :D
Machina

Previous

Return to Clothing & Playawear