Arriving early and Leaving early

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and mutant vehicles - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues. For ride and RV shares, please go to Share Resources.

Arriving early and Leaving early

Postby NikkiG » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:06 pm

It wasn't my intention to leave early considering its my first burn, but another newbie brought up the idea of completing 2 tasks during the same week. Don't get me wrong, I wanted to attend Burning Man from the first time I heard about it. I've been researching it for quite some time, and I'm actually elated that I got A magic ticket! I feel like Charlie from Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. Anyway, I purchased a cruise ticket before I obtained my Burning Man ticket. Both occur during the last week of August. .... So I finally decided to attend both. Yeah, I want to have it ALL! I'll be leaving Burning Man on Thursday, so I can board my ship on Saturday. My Airplanes are already booked, but I need others to join me on a Toflame bus leaving on Thursday headed toward RENO. Toflame requires a minimum of 25 people to make it happen. The trip is 60 dollars with stops to drop off the bikes, grey water and garbage. I'm totally aware that I'm asking the impossible from everyone, but I hope and pray that there are others like me who want to leave early for various reasons. I only need 24 other people and this thing is a go for all of us. If not, I guess i'll be forced to rent a car. I have no problem doing so, I'm just worried about the cleaning fee...sigh I GUESS THAT"S WHERE SELF RELIANCE COMES INTO PLAY.
Keep away from small people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great. - Mark Twain
NikkiG

Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Stag Camp

Re: Arriving early and Leaving early

Postby ygmir » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:26 pm

well, welcome to eplaya, and, good luck.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby BBadger » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:26 pm

Oookay then. Still, I can't imagine why anyone would want to leave Burning Man to be stuck with a bunch of assholes on a cruise ship that'll probably have engine problems causing your toilets to overflow... well, it probably won't be that bad, and the first half of the week is often the best, but still...
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby NikkiG » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:34 pm

I KNOW.....I thought I'd put it out there for the universe to see. It's like the lottery.... you never know unless you try.
Keep away from small people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great. - Mark Twain
NikkiG

Postby BBadger » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:55 pm

But at least you're not like that other guy who was here thinking that he could get a flight out of BM early in the week and thought he might get some Early Arrival pass just to enjoy more time on the playa, all while showing up with nothing more than a backpack from some other country. Now that... was jaw dropping. You've got a contingency plan at least. You'll probably have more luck later in the year with getting people on board with leaving early, as some people do like leaving before the burning festivities at the end of the week.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

BBadger

Postby some seeing eye » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:22 am

If the bus is driving in on that day, it is also driving out. Same with the air service providers. Advantage Air has been doing a few flights a day, and BM central reports there are other air charter services now. With air, you will be strictly limited on weight and volume. Good luck with your adventure, sounds surreal!
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion
some seeing eye

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Postby Dr. Pyro » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:21 am

BBadger wrote: Burning Man... a bunch of assholes...causing your toilets to overflow...

How is that any different than TTITD?
Dr. Pyro

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby lemur » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:00 am

Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby BBadger » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:12 am

Touché!

BBadger

Postby NikkiG » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:55 am

I'm lost.... what does that mean? Anyway, I have another question to ask. Do you recommend me attending Burning Man without a bike? Is it easy to obtain a community bike (the green ones)? If I do manage to bring one, does anyone want it when I leave? I can bring it back and have it recycled (no problem) but since Im leaving early I thought it would be nice to just gift it to someone in hopes that they may be able to use it during the burn. Let me know if you are interested. I already bought a tri awning from AlPS MOUNTAINEERING as a shade structure. (http://www.sierratradingpost.com/alps-m ... -~p~88395/) I hope it withstands the wind. And I'm also thinking about getting one of those instant tents by coleman (http://www.target.com/p/coleman-6-perso ... u=13186697 ) An instant dome tent by coleman is another option (http://www.sportsauthority.com/product/ ... :keyword=&{copy:iq_id}=&{copy:camp}= ) It seems like it would be easy for 1 person to set up, but I might have to rethink the tent because its bulky and I don't have much room for a bulky stuff. whats the best cheapest tent on the market? I want something fully sealed light in color, durable and cheap. I'm willing to throw it away after the burn, or someone can have it when I'm leaving.
NikkiG

Postby ygmir » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:32 am

green bikes are not "obtained" they are "used"........you ride it where you want to go and leave. Anyone can take if from there, elsewhere, as can you.
you can't "keep it for the duration" or whatever, or lock it. But, they are pretty readily available, so, if you don't want to bring one, don't.
you can gift a bike when you leave. that's up to you.
Often bike camps are happy to help with that, maybe Elliot, or "bike king" here, but I'll not speak for him.

a lot of what you are asking, can be found with a little research on your part, through the threads here on eplaya.
Sometimes, a subject is easier to research, and find here, not with the search feature, but with "Google" use: subject, or terms writing+eplaya in your query. Others may have better techniques.

it's a little uneasy, to hear what seems an attitude of "I'll bring what I can and throw it away when done". I do hope as you say, you can gift someone. that'd be nice of you.

good luck
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby Elliot » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:36 am

NikkiG wrote:... Both occur during the last week of August. .... So I finally decided to attend both. ...

All right.... I realize you asked only about logistics, but I am unable to contain myself: Your plan sounds utterly preposterous. As I see it, clearly you have not grasped the fundamental concept of the event.

I view the Burning Man Art Festival as a "full immersion" event. One either commits to full participation, or one does not go at all. If you do not feel drawn to full participation and commitment, the event is simply not for you -- no matter how intrigued you may feel over some elements of the event, as you have read or heard about it.

In fact -- though I do not mean to offend -- your idea of stopping by Burning Man on your way to another event the same week would tend to pigeon-hole you squarely in the category of tourist and voyeur.

I respectfully suggest you rethink this. You can sell your ticket for face value thru the STEP program.

Oh, and you can most definitely NOT "obtain a community bicycle". Those are for one-way trips. As soon as you dismount, the bicycle becomes available to anyone else.
Elliot's Bicycle Service, Camel Saddlery and Beverage Salon 5 & G as before, probably.
Ali Elliot Fy Fasan, proprietor

Caravansary Black Rock 2014

ImageImageImage
Millicent The Bus; pedal-vehicles on Playa and in Kinetic Sculpture Races.
Elliot

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle & Beverage Emporium

Postby VultureChow » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:03 pm

If it doesn't violate double posting rules, you might try a more direct post as you get closer, ie Seeking early departures for bus rental, without all of the commentary.

You sound like you are cutting things a bit close. If you are not a desert dweller, you will probably need a day to adjust before you even get out of camp.

But if you are determined, here's my two cents. You can live without a bike. I know it doesn't seem like it, but truthfully I rarely biked last year. Did I see everything? No. Did I get to the 10 o'clock side of the city at all? No. Did I have a spectacular time? YES!

If you are renting a car for that entire period, cleaning is the least of your costs. Keep the car closed and the vents closed on the playa. Put some sheets down. Have it washed and vacuumed and make sure they wash under the hood. That's how they get you. They'll pop the hood and hit the seats to see if a cloud of dust rises. Don't tell them where you are going. Leaving early in this case will benefit you since the timing is off. Dress nicely when you pick up and drop off. Business casual, not tutu and bikini.

Good luck.
Send lawyers, guns and money - The shit has hit the fan.
VultureChow

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Cougar Camp @ Barbie Death Village

Postby NikkiG » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:19 pm

It seems that my sentence was not phrased correctly. I'm fully aware that I cant keep the community bikes for more than a one time use. I was asking if people have a hard time finding one? Secondly, I already stated that I bought my cruise ticket ahead of time. I made a commitment to go on a cruise with another person. He took vacation time off to attend it. That same person is now refusing to attend Burning Man. But my mind was made up about the event. With or without them, I'm going. I cant let their actions block my happiness. If I didn't want to attend I wouldn't have bought the tickets. Its been something that I've been looking into for 9 months straight, but I have responsibilities to handle and if that means that I have to do both, I will because I want to have it all. I'm sorry if it may be confusing to you all. Life is meant for living, and that's what I plan on doing till the wheels fall off. I'm attending two things that Ive dreamed about for quite some time. Making it into a reality is a huge accomplishment for me because I rarely act on my impulses. I will promise everyone this one thing...... I will be PRESENT to life and all its possibilities for those two weeks. ......Yeah, I'm a landmark participant.
NikkiG

Postby mudpuppy000 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:22 pm

Bikes are optional. You won't get to zip all over the city, but you'll also discover a lot more things close to camp that you would have passed by without noticing.

If I only had a few days to spend there, I'd do the early part of the week also. I don't think you're going to want to leave though, haha.
mudpuppy000

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Orphan Endorphin

Postby NikkiG » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:26 pm

Thank you for the words of wisdom Vulturechow, ygmir, bbadger and some seeing eye! It was much appreciated. And Elliot even though you seemed a tad bit hostile towards me, I know it was said out of love. :wink:
NikkiG

Postby NikkiG » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:31 pm

I dont think so either Mudpuppy000 :D But There is always next year. ILL BE BACK! :wink:
NikkiG

Postby NikkiG » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:37 pm

It's not my intention to buy costly items and throw them away, but I'm in a bind because of the airplane. Its very costly to make multiple stops with a lot of bags. It's easier for me to consolidate most of what I have, and gift or throw away unnecessary items. Meaning it would cost more to ship it than to throw or gift it away. If I obtain the bike through Kiwanis bike program I can always bring it back to be recycled. Obviously I wouldn't bring it back on the plane or cruise ship. The tent/awning could be taken back with me, and that was my first intention, but I thought if someone wants to use it after I'm gone, so be it. Unlike a lot of people, I'm an extreme cheapskate. I don't like paying more for something than I have to and I would like for items to have extended usage. Meaning I gift a lot of my personal items on a regular basis, that's who I am. If I have it, and I am able to give it to others, I do. Some people think I'm too generous. I think I get it from my family. They give homeless people the clothes off their back. Oh, by the way, I read most of the posts about tents and shade structures, but I don't have enough room to transport decent ones. I wish I lived out on the west coast, things would be so much easier.
NikkiG

Postby Milayna » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:52 pm

I don't think that awning will stand up to the wind without some major major reinforcement, and even at the clearance price you can build yourself a monkey hut that will definitely stand up to the conditions. You can buy the monkey hut supplies in Reno when you land, and you may be able to connect with someone before the event who would like to take the monkey hut from you when you leave (just make sure you've set this up before hand because you can't just leave it on the playa).
Milayna

Postby VultureChow » Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:04 pm

NikkiG wrote:It's not my intention to buy costly items and throw them away, but I'm in a bind because of the airplane. Its very costly to make multiple stops with a lot of bags. It's easier for me to consolidate most of what I have, and gift or throw away unnecessary items. Meaning it would cost more to ship it than to throw or gift it away. If I obtain the bike through Kiwanis bike program I can always bring it back to be recycled. Obviously I wouldn't bring it back on the plane or cruise ship. The tent/awning could be taken back with me, and that was my first intention, but I thought if someone wants to use it after I'm gone, so be it. Unlike a lot of people, I'm an extreme cheapskate. I don't like paying more for something than I have to and I would like for items to have extended usage. Meaning I gift a lot of my personal items on a regular basis, that's who I am. If I have it, and I am able to give it to others, I do. Some people think I'm too generous. I think I get it from my family. They give homeless people the clothes off their back. Oh, by the way, I read most of the posts about tents and shade structures, but I don't have enough room to transport decent ones. I wish I lived out on the west coast, things would be so much easier.

You might be better served by joining with an established camp or village. There are camps that accept burgins, especially those flying in since, as you have discovered, the logistics are much more difficult. Then you could share in the communal shade and services. Trust me that doing it on your own will be far more expensive than any camp dues you are charged.

Hang out here for a while, get to know the people and look for a camp that fits your personality.
VultureChow

Postby NikkiG » Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:30 pm

Good Ideas Vulturechow and Milayna! I will look into those options. My friend asked if I wanted to join his group, but I told him no. I'm very independent, but it seems like I will have to reconsider his offer. And yes, there are other camps to join. I'm just weary of a bad experience. I don't want to experience a clash of personalities close to where I lay my head down at night.... :? I'll keep a positive attitude though.
NikkiG

Postby VultureChow » Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:12 pm

NikkiG wrote:Good Ideas Vulturechow and Milayna! I will look into those options. My friend asked if I wanted to join his group, but I told him no. I'm very independent, but it seems like I will have to reconsider his offer. And yes, there are other camps to join. I'm just weary of a bad experience. I don't want to experience a clash of personalities close to where I lay my head down at night.... :? I'll keep a positive attitude though.

I'm was the same way last year. But there are major advantages to joining a camp or village. Stag Camp might be a good choice for you if you just need shade. And with your own tent, you can always have your own space. Wherever you lay your head there will be neighbors.
VultureChow

Postby some seeing eye » Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:24 pm

You should be able to find a used tent on Craiglist. Many tent selection threads. You can ship clothes/gear in and out, your burner clothes are probably not your cruise clothes and it takes time to wash and dry clothes if you are trying to do it between events. And if you don't sleep, you don't need a tent! If you plan to come next year, skip the bike as long as your camp isn't too far out.
some seeing eye

Postby trilobyte » Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:31 pm

Sounds like you're looking to really gut the whole Burning Man experience…. after having spent years reading about it and researching it, are you really interested in doing it wrong? You may want to reconsider, and look into the costs of re-scheduling your cruise - it'd be a small price to pay and a hell of a lot less expensive than all the prep work you'd do for a Burning Man experience that would leave you wanting.

On the early arriving side, gate times have not yet been formally announced but will probably open sometime on Sunday night. Leaving early, sure you can but contrary to what you may think there are not large numbers of people who leave that early. And those that do are not on the slow bus route. You'll likely need to rent a vehicle.

IMO, the shade structure you linked won't hold up on the playa. That's more of a backyard or light duty camping structure, and not designed to withstand 50mph+ winds. You may care to take some time and read the survival/first timer's guides (if you haven't already done so in your years or prior research) and take a look around on the boards for some examples of simple and cost effective shade and shelter. Bikes are only really necessary if you want to see and do very much. The city is miles across, with amazing, epic, and magical art scattered for another couple miles of open desert known as 'deep playa.' Even with a bike, and even if you stayed the whole week you'll never see it all. Staying for half the event will cut down what you can participate/see in half, and limiting yourself to what you can get to on foot or through a ride on a mutant vehicle (which is something of a random chance) cuts down your ability to experience Burning Man even further. How much? Depends on your walking speed, stamina, health, etc. Good luck with whatever you decide.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby Dr. Pyro » Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:16 pm

NikkiG wrote: Elliot even though you seemed a tad bit hostile towards me, I know it was said out of love. :wink:

You don't know him very well, do you?
Dr. Pyro

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby BBadger » Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:38 pm

Having no bike sucks, and severely limits your transportation even to "close-by" places like center camp. I lock mine up religiously after my stupidity with not locking it my first year and having it stolen.

Note that it also sucks having to wait for people without bikes. Often for us bicycle-equipped folks, it ends up being an "oh, well, we'll see you sometime later tonight then." Then I never see them until the next morning. Prepare to be ditched, or be stuck at a particular venue for most of your days/nights. Radical inclusion and all that jazz.

BBadger

Postby Elliot » Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:51 pm

trilobyte wrote:Sounds like you're looking to really gut the whole Burning Man experience…. after having spent years reading about it and researching it, are you really interested in doing it wrong?

Yeah, what Trilobyte said. Sure wish I had thought of that. :wink:

As for "love", I believe that's a chain of truck-stops -- "Love's Travel Centers" or some such. :wink:

:mrgreen:
Elliot's Bicycle Service, Camel Saddlery and Beverage Salon 5 & G as before, probably.
Ali Elliot Fy Fasan, proprietor

Caravansary Black Rock 2014

ImageImageImage
Millicent The Bus; pedal-vehicles on Playa and in Kinetic Sculpture Races.
Elliot

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle & Beverage Emporium

Postby ygmir » Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:55 pm

Elliot wrote:
trilobyte wrote:Sounds like you're looking to really gut the whole Burning Man experience…. after having spent years reading about it and researching it, are you really interested in doing it wrong?

Yeah, what Trilobyte said. Sure wish I had thought of that. :wink:

As for "love", I believe that's a chain of truck-stops -- "Love's Travel Centers" or some such. :wink:

:mrgreen:

I hope, never, to see you in a slinky tight sequin dress and spike heels, walking the parking lot, Elliot!!
If I knew photoshop, I'd make a photo of what my imagination is giving me, then, gouge my eyes out.
Please, tell us your statement is an April 1 joke, and not an insight some of us would regret.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby some seeing eye » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:49 pm

If you need a place to store a package of clean cruise clothes, and a place to shower, change into those clean clothes on Thursday or Friday in Reno, you might look into Dr Pyro's Barbie Death Village 2013 Hotel Deal - easily available by search. You will want to be in clean clothes returning the rental vehicle and flying, though I have seen and have been a dusty flyer. I don't know what 4 days would be, but many people find it takes many days to "decompress" which might make the cruise "interesting", so you might apologize to your cotraveler in advance, and give him permission to request you stop talking about the event.

There have been a few other leave early threads with advice. Also most burners, even experienced, make up a detailed packing list, then add or drop to fit their plans. That list is going to tell you a lot.
some seeing eye

Postby VultureChow » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:49 pm

[media]
VultureChow

Next

Return to Transportation