Constructing powered shower.

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

Constructing powered shower.

Postby tattoogoddess » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:52 pm

Before you shoot me, yes I have looked for a thread about this with no luck.

We are on the final bits of our buying... One of the last things is the shower. We have the stall and the shower bags BUT I want a pump shower.
I don't like the zodi because you can't change the shower head as far as I know and I want a normal shower wand. The collman seems spendy and we would have to mod it some. Personally I don't care if the shower is hot. But we have 2 5 gallon solar bags and a black 5 gallon bucket. SO what is the best way to construct a shower with a pump? We have a geni, a battery with 40O watt inverter or a battery so ac or dc is fine. Shower has to be able to pump 7 feet of tube and an on off valve to. Confused if we can do an on off valve with a pump?. Hewlp.
maladroit- Burning Man is like a second job, except you pay to work there.
Burning Man is just the pre party for exodus! - fellow burner during exodus
http://burnon.wix.com/bloodbathandbeyond
tattoogoddess

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: bloodbath and beyond

Re: Constructing powered shower.

Postby tattoogoddess » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:04 pm

This is what I really like.. But the Coleman is spendy so just thinking a normal pond pump. http://youtu.be/1be1X9i-oDU

Would something like this work? http://www.google.com/products/catalog? ... d=0CEwQrhI
tattoogoddess

Postby Captain Goddammit » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:20 pm

I'd use a 12 volt RV type water pump. If you're resourceful you can grab one and the hand held shower wand from a camper or motorhome being parted out. The RV shower wands usually have a nice on/off switch built right on, and RV water pumps have pressure sensors and shut themselves off when the water flow is blocked, like when you turn off the faucet or the shower wand.
Check craigslist in your area for somebody scrapping out a camper.
"Whaoomph! Whaomph! Burbbleburbblepattpattpattpatt... WHAAAAAaaoooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa........!!!"
Top fuel dragster, by Elliot Naess
Captain Goddammit

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp Fuck The Vehicle Passes

Postby Boijoy » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:22 pm

don't forget to floss
Boijoy

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Metro Mart

Postby tattoogoddess » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:35 pm

Boijoy wrote:http://www.amazon.com/Stansport-Battery-Powered-Portable-Shower/dp/B000XA9SBO/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1364509290&sr=8-3&keywords=battery+powered+shower

Bad reviews.

Didn't even think of scrap rv's nothing is what if it shits out midweek? But it's an idiea
tattoogoddess

Postby Captain Goddammit » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:58 pm

If it works when you get it, it'll most likely make it through the week. They're pretty reliable and have hardly any moving parts. They're about $75 - $100 new. But the world is full of campers that leak and rot and can be scavenged for treasure.
I'd go with that setup for lots of reasons on top of being available free or cheap.
It's made for exactly what you want, and the built in on/off valve on the camper shower wand makes it easy to get the most out of your water supply.
They're small, water hoses clamp right on, wiring is easy and safe (it's only 12 volts) and it puts out a pretty good water stream.
If you wanted to get fancy, you could scavenge the propane fired hot-water heater from whatever camper donates it's other parts... and even the 30 or 40 gallon fresh water tank it probably has.

But that might be "snowballing" the whole originally-simple idea... doesn't that always happen!!
"Whaoomph! Whaomph! Burbbleburbblepattpattpattpatt... WHAAAAAaaoooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa........!!!"
Top fuel dragster, by Elliot Naess
Captain Goddammit

Camp Name: Camp Fuck The Vehicle Passes

Postby unjonharley » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:44 pm

I'm going with a all metal garden sprayer.. The water can be heated right in the can on a camp stove.. Putting a tire valve stem on the can so it can be pressurized with a bike pump..
unjonharley

Postby junglesmacks » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:00 pm

You could also get a small $20 submersible pump and run it off of that inverter. Attach a hose to it, then whatever shower head you want. Plop it in your container, plug it in and woosh.. you have shower. Make a switch for it off the power wire if need be.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby unjonharley » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:15 pm

I have power shower.. Runs on 4 D cell.. Throw one end in a bucket of water, open the hand held valve and away she go's.. Puts out to much water for a camp shower.. Nice with the coleman instanit water heater.. The water heater slows way down when the heat is turned up.. So you have to run it into a bucket then up the power shower.. I have these for times of power outages..
unjonharley

Postby Sham » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:26 pm

I have used this for several years and really happy with it.. Runs of 4 D batteries. One set of batteries lasts the whole week. Also, I don't use a heater, since I shower mid-afternoon, and the water is always hot! :D

you may find this unit in the camping section of K Mart 8)
Sham

Postby Jackass » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:27 pm

The zodi rocks! It's tried and true, simple all in one hot shower. It doesn't get better than that. If you want to put a regular shower head on a pump you better bring a small pond with you because you're going to blow through some water.
Don't worry, it'll get weird...
Jackass

Postby Sham » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:35 pm

The problem with the Zodi is that it heats a steady flow of water--such as from a lake. If the water flow stops, the water becomes scalding. You now have a big issue of gallons and gallons of water passing through and becoming waste.

The pump above is the same one on the Zodi, but without the heater.
Sham

Postby socks » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:36 pm

I just bought another zodi after my last one lasted 8 years. The shower head it comes with does the job well
but it is removable.The final cost on Amazon was 34.00 with shipping.
An unintelligible passionate yearning drove them out into the desert
T.E. Lawrence
socks

Postby unjonharley » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:43 pm

Sham, that's the power shower that I have.. I'm not able to haul enough water to use it..

The zodi is what I have built.. With this one you heat the water to the right temp. The pressurize the water can.. $25 bucks..
unjonharley

Postby Sham » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:48 pm

unjonharley wrote:Sham, that's the power shower that I have.. I'm not able to haul enough water to use it..

The zodi is what I have built.. With this one you heat the water to the right temp. The pressurize the water can.. $25 bucks..

I made that same type of unit, with water recirculation and it worked well for me. The big problem was getting anyone else in the camp to understand my set up. I couldn't even get them to understand to shut off the propane when they were done. I had to take showers with everyone just to maker sure they were doing it right. I washed their backs too. :shock:
Sham

Postby Savannah » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:39 pm

Shambala wrote:
unjonharley wrote:Sham, that's the power shower that I have.. I'm not able to haul enough water to use it..

I made that same type of unit, with water recirculation and it worked well for me. The big problem was getting anyone else in the camp to understand my set up. I couldn't even get them to understand to shut off the propane when they were done. I had to take showers with everyone just to maker sure they were doing it right. I washed their backs too. :shock:

. . . :o . . .

. . . . . . . :lol: . . . . . . .
Savannah

Postby zerzura » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:12 pm

We just got this. No power needed. Of course you already have the bags. You can make you own from hardware store parts, but it will be almost as much.
http://www.duckworksbbs.com/gear/shower/index.htm

Or scavenge an RV shower head and tube and buy a garden sprayer. Then dump your solar bags warm water into that.
zerzura

Postby Savannah » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:53 pm

zerzura wrote:We just got this. No power needed. Of course you already have the bags. You can make you own from hardware store parts, but it will be almost as much.
http://www.duckworksbbs.com/gear/shower/index.htm

oooooOOOOOOOooooo. :shock:

I might need that.
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Postby zerzura » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:58 pm

If I get a chance, I'll test it out this weekend and let you know how it goes. I especially like buying stuff from small businesses who come up with good ideas.
zerzura

Postby unjonharley » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:59 pm

That looks like a good unit... I use metal so water can be heated if no sun.. I always carry a solar bag.. Watch out, those things get real hot..Could even get hot enough to warp the pump.. That would put the whole thing out of action.. That is why Figjam
and I go with adding a tire valve stem. If the parts in the plastic pump go tits up we can use a bike tire pump..
unjonharley

Postby tattoogoddess » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:20 pm

This is one i was giving some thought to now that you said the pumps will just be to much.
http://youtu.be/1ZjrPxKeyAY
tattoogoddess

Postby dragonpilot » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:22 pm

Hey, I'm all about showers and personal hygiene and all...it just always amazes me the lengths to which we go to make things more like home when we get to the playa...hell, I bring an RV...how much more like home can you get?
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.
dragonpilot

Burning Since: 2005

Postby FIGJAM » Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:43 pm

But I don't want it to be like where I live, I want it to be like HOME! 8)
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby unjonharley » Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:13 pm

best build what you can.. there are no cargo ports on the playa
unjonharley

Postby Rusted Iron » Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:05 pm

We use the melted ice from the drink cooler for shower water so bringing enough water isn't a problem. (Getting it into the solar showers can be messy, instead I painted an old 5 gallon Alhambra bottle black and put it on the truck's lumber rack to heat and for gravity feed.)
Rusted Iron

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks