sometimes, you're just lucky

All things outside of Burning Man.

Re: sometimes, you're just lucky

Postby Ugly Dougly » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:05 pm

I'm working now at a new company. We're building an Array Checker, our "yield management" tool for manufacturing.

Oh, sorry, you wanted English: It's a garganutan machine the size of most people's living rooms, costs several million dollars and weighs several tons, most of which is stabilizing granite.

So, if you are making flat panel displays and you want to identify the parts that will work and those that will not, you take your 10' by 20' glass with arrays of diodes (good for a couple of dozen Kindles) all across its surface and set it on this granite and steel machine. The tool has got a variety of electrical and optical devices on tracks moving over the surface of the glass to inspect it. The gantries move extremely fast, then stop on a dime, no a microbe.

So we are in the danger area. When the operators use it in China, Korea or Taiwan, there will be a protective cage to prevent the operators from coming in because it's too dangerous. But today, we in the danger zone, going over a subsystem today to prepare some training material, and we are squatting right in the guts of this thing. There's a technician running routines on it; his workstation is other side of the machine. He yells "moving!"

And this gantry on tracks suddenly comes zipping toward us and stops inches from our heads. I duck! The experienced engineers flinch, but they don't duck, since they know exactly where the end of the gantry's range is.

I learned today about which part of the machine I should lean on, because some sub-assembly might suddenly snap off a part of me.

Exciting.

Still, plenty of respect for this amazing, dangerous and complex machine. Along the lines of a locomotive or giant robot.
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby ygmir » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:06 pm

yeah cap'n, I had put 75 lbs. of air in it.
I guess, all these years, something like that is bound to happen.
just never seen it before.
I was thinking poor workmanship, but as stories come out, seems it just happens, once in a while.
Good top, US tire maker, so, well..........

and to Tire R%^( defense, they sold me a replacement for half (they don't cover road hazard on pickups), and are paying to ship the tire back and will check to see if it's poor workmaship,in which case, they'll give me a full refund.

Can't ask for more, really.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby ygmir » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:09 pm

careful Dougly!!

sounds super cool..........can you smuggle us photos?
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby Ugly Dougly » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:19 pm

I should be able to manage something. ;)
Ugly Dougly

Postby Patsh » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:29 pm

Ugly Dougly wrote:I'm working now at a new company. We're building an Array Checker, our "yield management" tool for manufacturing.

Oh, sorry, you wanted English: It's a garganutan machine the size of most people's living rooms, costs several million dollars and weighs several tons, most of which is stabilizing granite.

So, if you are making flat panel displays and you want to identify the parts that will work and those that will not, you take your 10' by 20' glass with arrays of diodes (good for a couple of dozen Kindles) all across its surface and set it on this granite and steel machine. The tool has got a variety of electrical and optical devices on tracks moving over the surface of the glass to inspect it. The gantries move extremely fast, then stop on a dime, no a microbe.

So we are in the danger area. When the operators use it in China, Korea or Taiwan, there will be a protective cage to prevent the operators from coming in because it's too dangerous. But today, we in the danger zone, going over a subsystem today to prepare some training material, and we are squatting right in the guts of this thing. There's a technician running routines on it; his workstation is other side of the machine. He yells "moving!"

And this gantry on tracks suddenly comes zipping toward us and stops inches from our heads. I duck! The experienced engineers flinch, but they don't duck, since they know exactly where the end of the gantry's range is.

I learned today about which part of the machine I should lean on, because some sub-assembly might suddenly snap off a part of me.

Exciting.

Still, plenty of respect for this amazing, dangerous and complex machine. Along the lines of a locomotive or giant robot.

Cool, Dougly! Where I work, we build those types of machines... some that inspect big, round wafers of chips, with a robot arm that wouldn't skip a beat after slicing through a human arm like butter. Some that ultrasonically inspect 'Jedec trays' of cut chips, and various others... and we also make a small assortment of laminators for making solar panels and Kindle screens. Lots of other, varied types of things, too.

Most of the inspection units will come to a complete stop if any door is opened, and a few have light curtains which stop all motion if anything breaks any part of the light beam. And, of course, they have multiple E-Stops.

I do some of the mechanical assembly and some of the wiring. (actually, lots of both) Been there over 21 years.

Congratulations on scoring a very cool job!!!
formerly, Triken

keep on triken' Mamma!
Triken' ma blues away....

Theatre is Life
Cinema is Art
Television is Furniture
Patsh

Postby Ugly Dougly » Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:39 pm

ygmir wrote:careful Dougly!!

sounds super cool..........can you smuggle us photos?

Here, take a gander at this. That's a workstation on the left.
Attachments
007b.jpg
007b.jpg (123.09 KiB) Viewed 637 times
Ugly Dougly

Postby Ugly Dougly » Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:40 pm

46mm nut holding the granite pieces together.
Attachments
010.JPG
010.JPG (237.77 KiB) Viewed 636 times
Ugly Dougly

Postby ygmir » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:21 pm

very nice! and I note it's made from "Ebony Mist" granite, a nice, fine grained dark variegated variety.
The quarry close to me (relatively) where I get "Sierra White" (light gray, really), makes surface plate blocks for NASA and such.
10'x4'x10', they say they surface them to within a few .0001's of perfect. Granite being a super heat sink, and thermally very stable, I guess it works great.
Is that the same idea with your machine?
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby Ugly Dougly » Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:27 pm

It's entirely for stabilization. Inertia. Many semiconductor tools have big pieces of granite in them. This one's from China or Korea.

What is the purpose and origin of NASA's monolith? ;)

Ugly Dougly

Postby gyre » Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:51 am

Easy to guess after the description.

Cool stuff!

Here's an interesting slab in a crater.
http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2005-1 ... of-granite

Scientists are rethinking their theories about the Chesapeake Bay impact crater after they drilled deeper into it than ever before and found something unexpected: a huge slab of granite.

Over several months, crews penetrated 5,795 feet at a site about five miles north of Cape Charles, Va. They're trying to piece together what happened 35 million years ago, when a meteorite smashed into what is now the mouth of the bay.

The mile-wide meteorite incinerated everything in its path and created a tsunami when it splashed into the sea, leaving a hole the size of Rhode Island.

The bay crater is the largest in the United States and the sixth-largest of 170 known impact craters in the world.

The researchers were surprised by what stalled them between the sediment and stones: a huge slab of granite that starts at 3,600 feet and extends down to about 4,500 feet. How it got there remains a mystery.

The largest impacts may have involved asteroids over six miles in diameter.
Talk about getting lucky!

Very cool equipment, guys.
gyre

Postby Ugly Dougly » Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:16 pm

Just wondering why a heat sink needs to be so precisely flat.
Ugly Dougly

Postby lemur » Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:20 pm

Ugly Dougly wrote:

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeee EEEEEEEEEEEEE
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
EEEEEEEEEEE
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEE
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby gyre » Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:28 pm

Ugly Dougly wrote:Just wondering why a heat sink needs to be so precisely flat.

Has to be a slip table.
gyre

Postby ygmir » Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:29 pm

Ugly Dougly wrote:Just wondering why a heat sink needs to be so precisely flat.

it's the combo, heat sink also stays thermally stable.
with stable temps, measurements become more consistent, related to temp of thing being measured.
Flat so comparisons can be made to measurements.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby clocksnmirrors » Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:07 pm

lemur wrote:eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeee EEEEEEEEEEEEE
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
EEEEEEEEEEE
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEE
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

ok. that made me laugh
WEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeee heee heee heeeee! *burp*
clocksnmirrors

Burning Since: 2012

Postby Sail Man » Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:54 pm

Captain Goddammit wrote:I've had some semi-truck tires explode dramatically like that and I'm pretty sure they were just underinflated, but that does seem unlikely in your case.

I had one blow up right next to me on the freeway. Scared the shit out of me, it was like a bomb going off.
Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact
Sail Man

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Postby Savannah » Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:52 pm

Sail Man wrote:
Captain Goddammit wrote:I've had some semi-truck tires explode dramatically like that and I'm pretty sure they were just underinflated, but that does seem unlikely in your case.

I had one blow up right next to me on the freeway. Scared the shit out of me, it was like a bomb going off.

The bus tire under me popped a month ago, and I thought the same thing!

It was quite something. :shock:
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby Elliot » Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:12 pm

:shock:
Even more so when it happens at 2 AM on a shoulder-less two-lane a hundred miles from nowhere and you have a rigid delivery appointment at 5 AM. :|

Sometimes it "just happens", but generally speaking good tires are worth the money!
Elliot's Bicycle Service, Camel Saddlery and Beverage Salon 5 & G as before, probably.
Ali Elliot Fy Fasan, proprietor

Caravansary Black Rock 2014

ImageImageImage
Millicent The Bus; pedal-vehicles on Playa and in Kinetic Sculpture Races.
Elliot

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle & Beverage Emporium

Postby gyre » Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:46 am

Don't do this.
[media]
gyre

Postby ygmir » Thu May 30, 2013 9:29 pm

so, I got all the rigging made for using my overhead I-beam trolley and hoists, for lifting the Frankencamper off and on various vehicles I own.

all seemed well, as I was lifting and setting it down, finding the "balance point".
seemed not a big deal to lift one side, then go to the other and lift
having two separate chainfall hoists, I had to go back and forth.

well,
on one of the final lifts, both sides being a fair way above the bed of my truck (which I left during testing, in case of equipment failure), I heard a really strange noise, then a "snap", and a "sproing" and the camper tilted and lurched straight at me! daing!
I was stuck between a leg of the hoist structure and the truck, and looking up, the camper had fallen to my side and seemed to be tipping/flipping (when the one side unweighted, the other snapped upward, when my side hit the truck bed)
Of course, my cat like reflexes kicked in, and I jumped sideways, alas, to trip and go sliding as if in to home plate.
I rolled back towards the truck hoping the 2800 lb. camper would miss me as it spun off the bed, but as I looked up, it was just teetering on edge, like waiting for me to get in "smashing position".......so I rolled right against the tire (of course, instead of making it under the truck), with that, the camper teetered back onto the truck and thudded down, realizing I had escaped.

I imagined it sitting there, like some sort of beast, waiting to fall up it's prey (me). haha dang. Had it come my way, it would have been damn close, falling on or near.

so, that was fun.........

as it turned out, I had used a repair link on a chain hook on one side and the stress had totally straightened said link and pulled it through the hole in the hook mount! This was supposedly the right size and spec. split repair link for what I was doint........dang Chinese steel, didn't break (good/bad?) but actually unrolled and straightened, like pulling a wound string out. Fixed it with a grade 5 bolt.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby Patsh » Thu May 30, 2013 9:37 pm

"so. That was fun."

Here we sit, sweating up a storm, reading your stuff, hoping you survive yet another typical Yggy-Day...and we get, "so, that was fun".

Dang... can't wait for the Hof party to give you a three dimensional (((hug))) to be sure you've survived your antics!
formerly, Triken

keep on triken' Mamma!
Triken' ma blues away....

Theatre is Life
Cinema is Art
Television is Furniture
Patsh

Postby Savannah » Thu May 30, 2013 10:07 pm

ygmir wrote:I rolled back towards the truck hoping the 2800 lb. camper would miss me as it spun off the bed, but as I looked up, it was just teetering on edge, like waiting for me to get in "smashing position".......so I rolled right against the tire (of course, instead of making it under the truck), with that, the camper teetered back onto the truck and thudded down, realizing I had escaped.

I imagined it sitting there, like some sort of beast, waiting to fall up it's prey (me). haha dang. Had it come my way, it would have been damn close, falling on or near.

The camper was hoping for virgin blood.

[media]

Stupid, stupid camper. :D
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby MyDearFriend » Fri May 31, 2013 3:01 am

KEEP YGMIR'S YARD POTENTIALLY FATAL

Dude!!! *shaking my head* Every day an adventure for you, eh?

Happy to know your cat-like reflexes still work.

8) 8) 8)
Practice Love. Exercise Sex.

"When life seems dangerous and unmanageable, just remember that it is, and that you can't survive forever."
MyDearFriend

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp DREAD PIRATE BARBIE

Postby graidawg » Fri May 31, 2013 4:03 am

i have said "that was fun" a few times this year, so i know where yggi is coming from. after if it wasnt fun you be squished.
completely unconcerned.
"Savannah" I like it . . . it makes us sound forward-thinking, and not at all like trailblazing, professional-level procrastinors.
the rest of us are in the School of Fukkit. "Eric"
graidawg

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dread Pirate barbie

Postby ygmir » Fri May 31, 2013 8:00 am

graidawg wrote:i have said "that was fun" a few times this year, so i know where yggi is coming from. after if it wasnt fun you be squished.

yeah that's it. not that you'd choose to do it, but, you survive, maybe only bruised and bleeding, and know you're alive!
it's being a little "on the edge" with that stuff, that keeps a person "sharp" (relative, in my case), and knowing they are living.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby ^Rhino! » Fri May 31, 2013 8:21 am

gyre wrote:Easy to guess after the description.

Cool stuff!

Scientists are rethinking their theories about the Chesapeake Bay impact crater after they drilled deeper into it than ever before and found something unexpected: a huge slab of granite.

Over several months, crews penetrated 5,795 feet at a site about five miles north of Cape Charles, Va. They're trying to piece together what happened 35 million years ago, when a meteorite smashed into what is now the mouth of the bay.

The mile-wide meteorite incinerated everything in its path and created a tsunami when it splashed into the sea, leaving a hole the size of Rhode Island.

The bay crater is the largest in the United States and the sixth-largest of 170 known impact craters in the world.

The researchers were surprised by what stalled them between the sediment and stones: a huge slab of granite that starts at 3,600 feet and extends down to about 4,500 feet. How it got there remains a mystery.

Agreed on the cool equipment.

But I'm not surprised by the Chesapeake impact crater find.

Same thing happened at the Weaubleau crater, discovered in 2003 south of Osceola, Missouri. Granite basement rock of the continental crust usually occurs at around 1600' in that area. When the crater was drilled into, researchers encountered granite at 220', which continued until nearly 250'. It had been blasted off the basement rock by the impacting bolide.
Rue Morgue - '08, '09
Black Rock Beacon - '10, '12, '13
(lux, veritas, lardum)
Bacon is forever.

Veni, vidi, pertudi. (We came, we saw, we DRILLED.) - BRC Division of Geology 2009-2013

I'm here until the serendipitous synchronicity is ubiquitous.
^Rhino!

Camp Name: Black Rock Beacon

Postby knowmad » Fri May 31, 2013 9:21 am

^Rhino! wrote:
gyre wrote:Easy to guess after the description.

Cool stuff!

Agreed on the cool equipment.

But I'm not surprised by the Chesapeake impact crater find.

Same thing happened at the Weaubleau crater, discovered in 2003 south of Osceola, Missouri. Granite basement rock of the continental crust usually occurs at around 1600' in that area. When the crater was drilled into, researchers encountered granite at 220', which continued until nearly 250'. It had been blasted off the basement rock by the impacting bolide.

Is it possible that the Granite is less dense than the surrounding "Loose" breccciea and crater ejecta and erosion sediment? and is Floating up wards?
............................................Image...........................................
Oh yeah, this year I was totally twerping out at the fence. ~Lonesombri
knowmad

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: 09-11 Specialist Clan
12 BWS BDV/DPB

Postby ^Rhino! » Fri May 31, 2013 11:15 am

Not a chance. The average density of granites range from 2.5 to 2.7g / cu. cm where the average density of Limestone is 1.8-2.7 (American Geological Institute's Geological Handbook 4th ed.p.295 in section 16.1 on" Physical (Engineering) Properties of Rocks", section compiled by Lawrence C. Wood of Stanford U. In the case of Weaubleau, the heavier granite was blown up through both younger rock and sediment of lesser density. Must have been a hell of a force.

Considering that bolides coming through space that hit Earth do so at an average speed of 16-30 km/sec, I'm not surprised either. The kinetic energy release is huge, even if the impactor is ice. Remember, Kinetic energy is one half the mass times the VELOCITY SQUARED.
Rue Morgue - '08, '09
Black Rock Beacon - '10, '12, '13
(lux, veritas, lardum)
Bacon is forever.

Veni, vidi, pertudi. (We came, we saw, we DRILLED.) - BRC Division of Geology 2009-2013

I'm here until the serendipitous synchronicity is ubiquitous.
^Rhino!

Camp Name: Black Rock Beacon

Postby ygmir » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:34 pm

So:
time for "Fireman Yggy's" lesson for today:

Remember fire fighters:
when pump testing your fire truck and running just above an idle (luckily) which should develope about 100 psi static pressure, don't stand in front of the 2.5" hose outlet, that's open, when you pull the lever to dump tank water into the pump.

hahah
It slams you against the wall of your carport (luckily, that 100 PSI didn't really develop with the valve open, but it seems plenty of pressure did), and gets you really, really wet.......100 gallons in just the few seconds it took to hit the ground, roll to the truck and pull the lever to stop it..........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby gyre » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:42 pm

Can't you just join a circus or something a bit safer?
gyre

PreviousNext

Return to Open Discussion