Juicing & Smoothing.

What do you eat and drink on the playa? Share ideas, recipes and advice here.

Juicing & Smoothing.

Postby symbiosis » Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:34 pm

Firstly, I would like to extend a warm greeting to everyone here. This will be my first year; I am very excited to share this experience with all of you. With that said, I am planning on bringing my juicer/blender to the Playa for everyone. I have a few questions on how to make this possible...

1) What would be the best way to run power? without using a generator since it can be noisy.

2) What is the logical way to store ALOT of fruit and veggies? I could get multiple coolers but I was seeing if there is any other way to do it.

Thank you Sexies.
symbiosis

Burning Since: 2013

Re: Juicing & Smoothing.

Postby TT120 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:49 pm

A gas powered blender would work and you dont have to run a Genny.

Life's a bitch, then you go to Burning Man - Unjonharley

W6BJD
TT120

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Orphans Too

Postby junglesmacks » Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:51 pm

Pre-juice everything.. freeze.. keep frozen with dry ice.

1) Juicers use a LOT of power. You would need genny power or a gas powered blender.

2) Some fruits/veggies keep better than others. Apples, carrots, etc.. Anything that's more fibrous and/or has an exterior skin. Do some creative searching as there have been many, many threads on this.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby AntiM » Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:58 pm

Theoretically, if your fruits and veggies don't hold up, what is your back up food plan?
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Noboundaries » Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:51 pm

We have one old blender that draws 375 watts that we have operatored both on a deep cell battery/1200 watt inverter and off a quiet generator while camping. We didn't take it to the playa last year. The old blender isn't very effective for blending fibrous/hard fruits and veggies because it just doesn't pulverize the produce enough. Great for margaritas and blended drinks though! We can run the gennie for 9-10 hours on a gallon of gas on the quiet econ setting.

We also have a 1375 watt blender we use at least twice daily at home. It will pulverize a house and the blender alone is LOUD. We don't take it camping. It would require the gennie to be run on full power and we'd only get 1 1/2 - 2 hours use on a gallon of gas. The noise of the blender would easily drown out the 59db gennie on full power! A $300 gas powered blender is probably WAY more noisy though.
You are always smaller than anything that upsets you. Remain calm and solutions with boundless possibility will find your heart.
Noboundaries

Postby Elorrum » Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:03 pm

Bike powered blender and trainer stand
What's the name of the act? The Aristocrats.
Elorrum

Postby lemur » Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:04 pm

AntiM wrote:Theoretically, if your fruits and veggies don't hold up, what is your back up food plan?

Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby Savannah » Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:58 pm

Welcome to ePlaya, symbiosis! You can also have an introductory thread in the Introduce Yourself forum, if you like.

I recommend for you the "HARDY Produce for the Playa?" thread towards the bottom of the first page of the "Food & Drink" forum.
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby BBadger » Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:14 pm

Just bring some of these:

[media]
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby Earthwalker » Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:33 pm

You have a truly sick vid collection BBadger...I like it

I juice/blend daily and am just going under the assumption I'll have to go without this week. Sucks, b/c I'm addicted. But oh well. Not sure how well freezing would work. I've mixed, put in the fridge covered, then drank 12 hours later and it was nowhere near as good. So I doubt I'd be much of a fan of frozen.

Though frozen carrots make for good sex toys. Especially when your mate is a wabbit.
Please forgive me...this cubicle has stolen portions of my mind and my soul
Earthwalker

Camp Name: Trifucta

Postby Asquared » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:20 am

i'm a juice nut, but will not have power at BM. and i can't even imagine cleaning a juicer/blender on the playa. i planned on suffering through with those naked/odwalla smoothies for the week.
"Settle down you two and play nice - or no dubstep for either." mdmf007
"Just look for camp 'Bad Mother Fucker' and ask for Jules." Supafly_fresh
Asquared

Postby mgb327 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:03 pm

Bacon and V8, shaken, not stirred.
Dogs are the leaders of the planet. If you see two life forms, one of them’s making a poop, the other one’s carrying it for him, who would you assume is in charge?
" I am a controlled substance". Savannah.
mgb327

Postby Captain Goddammit » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:52 pm

Asquared wrote:i'm a juice nut, but will not have power at BM. and i can't even imagine cleaning a juicer/blender on the playa. i planned on suffering through with those naked/odwalla smoothies for the week.

If you see my Land Yacht just yell for Captain Goddammit... there's a blender on board, frequently mixing a concoction of peaches, bananas, strawberry margarita mix, rum, tequila, and ice!
Or just show up at the eplaya meet&greet at Doc Pyro's on Wednesday.
"Whaoomph! Whaomph! Burbbleburbblepattpattpattpatt... WHAAAAAaaoooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa........!!!"
Top fuel dragster, by Elliot Naess
Captain Goddammit

Camp Name: Camp Fuck The Vehicle Passes

Postby Asquared » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:11 pm

i shall GODDAMMIT! i'm from seattle, so we can chop it up over smoothies :D
(and thank you for the offer)
"Settle down you two and play nice - or no dubstep for either." mdmf007
"Just look for camp 'Bad Mother Fucker' and ask for Jules." Supafly_fresh
Asquared

Postby BBadger » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:51 am

You could always use one of those hand-blenders and then to clean them up you just take them for a spin inside some soapy water.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby AntiM » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:08 am

We have a handcrank blender. And a hand crank shave ice machine which is just indulgent. Cleaning? Yeah, that.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby lemur » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:28 am

Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Re: Juicing & Smoothing - blender related?

Postby danibel » Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:20 pm

I didn't want to create a whole nother thread to ask this, so hopefully the bump will get some responses.

I am pretty sure I don't have the time needed to build a nifty bike powered blender - though that is a thought for next year. I want to make mango margaritas. Usually you would blend frozen mango chunks, mango nectar, a splash of regular marg mix, and tequila of your choice in a blender and whir it up for a frozen refreshing juicy yummy. Dealing with keeping the mango chunks frozen alone could be a challenge, but trying to find the power for a blender seems nuts, so I was thinking about blending the mango, nectar, and marg mix, then freezing it (?), and then on playa let it defrost a bit in big bowl or pitcher, add tequila and pour. Any one else try something like this with smoothies? This would have to be a first/second day drink. I don't think I want to deal with dry ice, though it might be OK if it was it's own cooler.

Good idea? Bad idea? Freeze the mixture in a giant ziplock and pray they don't split? Double bag? The last thing I want is a cooler with a sticky mango mess in it.

Any feedback/ideas appreciated.
In dust we trust.
danibel

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Camp D'nile

Postby Savannah » Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:32 pm

danibel wrote:I didn't want to create a whole nother thread to ask this, so hopefully the bump will get some responses.

I am pretty sure I don't have the time needed to build a nifty bike powered blender - though that is a thought for next year. I want to make mango margaritas. Usually you would blend frozen mango chunks, mango nectar, a splash of regular marg mix, and tequila of your choice in a blender and whir it up for a frozen refreshing juicy yummy. Dealing with keeping the mango chunks frozen alone could be a challenge, but trying to find the power for a blender seems nuts, so I was thinking about blending the mango, nectar, and marg mix, then freezing it (?), and then on playa let it defrost a bit in big bowl or pitcher, add tequila and pour. Any one else try something like this with smoothies? This would have to be a first/second day drink. I don't think I want to deal with dry ice, though it might be OK if it was it's own cooler.

Good idea? Bad idea? Freeze the mixture in a giant ziplock and pray they don't split? Double bag? The last thing I want is a cooler with a sticky mango mess in it.

Any feedback/ideas appreciated.

Ooh, I have an idea. Try that at home with a tall tightly lidded tupperware. (I'd be nervous about a freezer bag leaking, too.) Blend your ingredients, freeze thoroughly. Scoop out some of your mixture with a spoon and experiment with ways to blend it with tequila and get the blended texture you want. You might have to mash to blend; shaking might melt it too much. Or vice versa.

You wouldn't want to thaw the whole tupperware or you might have to make all the margaritas at once. Partially thawing and then refreezing might degrade the quality or just not be quite as safe.

I wonder how an old-fashioned hand-operated egg-beater would do at mixing?

Savannah

Postby danibel » Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:37 pm

hmmm. Tupperware is interesting. I guess once you spooned out most of it you could just try to stir it right in the tupperware. Wouldn't be nice to be able to take that tupperware right out to the playa and drink yummy mango margs?!

I have never done dry ice before though. That has me wondering if it's worth it. Doesn't it take a long time for something to defrost after being on dry ice? I guess it's time for me to reread the dry ice threads. :D
In dust we trust.
danibel

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Camp D'nile

Postby Savannah » Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:08 pm

danibel wrote:hmmm. Tupperware is interesting. I guess once you spooned out most of it you could just try to stir it right in the tupperware. Wouldn't be nice to be able to take that tupperware right out to the playa and drink yummy mango margs?!

Make it right in the tupperware even, yeah! You could fill the tupperware part-way and freeze. On-playa, remove, defrost slightly, and mix in the tequila with a big spoon, like you're making orange juice from a frozen concentrate. :D A trial run at home would ensure your mango mixture was strong enough for all the alcohol.

Savannah

Postby some seeing eye » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:12 pm

To the OP...

The water used in cleaning? The taste of disinfectant?

The energy cost of keeping any quantity of fruits and vegetables fresh is high. Suggest doing a deal with the Black Rock Farmers Market to have them store or supply.

Freezing in advance sounds like a good idea, your dry ice costs could add up. Some people with an unlimited energy supply have brought chest freezers. You can find those discussion by search.

Zip locks or vacuum sealed are going to be a lot less trash to pack out. Fermented fruit and vegie waste will be stinky.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion
some seeing eye

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Postby beachlife » Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:00 pm

Great idea. Good post. Naked Juices are almost as almost as good, albeit GMO

i wouldn't juice at home and store, maybe freeze if you can, not sure if the nutrtients would last. consider trying at home and seeing how you feel. never froze my juice before, I've refrigerated it often, and after 24, 48 hours it quickly declines in potency and taste(unlike the 72 hrs Omega claims)

I used a hand crank juicer at Decom, worked well and gave me muscles

For 2013 I joiend a camp that has a juicer, and camp fees.

The Black Rock farmers market is also a good idea.
beachlife

Juicing & Smoothing

Postby JuicyMagic » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:13 pm

My plan is to pick up some Evolution Fresh juices in the produce section at Safeway and Starbucks on the way into the Burn (they each carry different flavors). If you live in Washington or San Francisco, there are walk in stores where you can stock up. They use a new cold pressed high pressure process to preserve the raw juices for several weeks. Almost as good as home with no cleanup and you only need an ice chest. Don't bother with Odwalla or Naked Juice. They are all heat pasteurized which kills most of the enzymes and vitamins and they digest as sugar. There is also another high pressure processed brand, Tumeric Alive, but you need to like Tumeric! They ship direct. 15% discount code is "Ignite Your Journey". Good Luck!
JuicyMagic

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Multiple

Re: Juicing & Smoothing

Postby beachlife » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:56 pm

JuicyMagic wrote:My plan is to pick up some Evolution Fresh juices in the produce section at Safeway and Starbucks on the way into the Burn (they each carry different flavors). If you live in Washington or San Francisco, there are walk in stores where you can stock up. They use a new cold pressed high pressure process to preserve the raw juices for several weeks. Almost as good as home with no cleanup and you only need an ice chest. Don't bother with Odwalla or Naked Juice. They are all heat pasteurized which kills most of the enzymes and vitamins and they digest as sugar. There is also another high pressure processed brand, Tumeric Alive, but you need to like Tumeric! They ship direct. 15% discount code is "Ignite Your Journey". Good Luck!

great tips. Evolution greens is amazing...and who doesn't love turmeric...the great anti-inflammatory..Cure-Cumin..Sprouts use to carry the root alas no longer, now must venture to the asian grocery stores, always an adventure.
beachlife

Return to Food & Drink