How much do YOU spend on Burning Man?

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

Re: How much do YOU spend on Burning Man?

Postby tattoogoddess » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:39 pm

Are you building a camp Mary? You had a good set up last year so how are you spending so much? From the ground up minus 2 tents we are building a whole camp with quite a few people and a rough guess we are spending roughly 6 grand when all is said and done for everything the camp needs including shade,kitchen set up, power, water, shower,evap, a bar, ect ect tickets and gas.
maladroit- Burning Man is like a second job, except you pay to work there.
Burning Man is just the pre party for exodus! - fellow burner during exodus
http://burnon.wix.com/bloodbathandbeyond
tattoogoddess

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: bloodbath and beyond

Postby junglesmacks » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:06 am

That's insane unless you have money to burn.. Think of what that extra $4000 you're spending could do for you the other 51 weeks of the year..
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby trilobyte » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:13 am

$3K-$4K is nothing if you're building art or doing a theme camp with bar, art, or food.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby TT120 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:52 am

My budget this year is $2000. I intend to spend every cent.

Luckily, I live close to the Playa so travel won't cost me much. 2 tanks of gas ought to do it.
Life's a bitch, then you go to Burning Man - Unjonharley

W6BJD
TT120

Camp Name: Orphans Too

Postby junglesmacks » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:03 am

trilobyte wrote:$3K-$4K is nothing if you're building art or doing a theme camp with bar, art, or food.

Very true.. I guess though that when times are a bit lean that perspective can be gained into how much excess can be blown through for a week in the desert.

Especially when it's only theoretical excess. Play now, pay later when you're wondering how the hell to put gas in your car, food on your table and where all the money really went.

To each their own.. and believe me I'm not accusing/dogging on anyone as I'm guilty as charged. $1000 lasers don't lie.
junglesmacks

Postby CornMan » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:21 am

I don't think it has ever made financial sense for anybody to attend Burning Man as a participant - especially for the less affluent among us, and indicators show that it probably never will. However, even though the Coachella festival has organized away the need for individual participation of creating attractions, nobody seems to attend that festival financially unscathed either.
The camp with a difference
Never mind the weather
When you camp with Plug & Ply
Your holiday's forever
CornMan

Postby maryanimal » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:33 am

tattoogoddess wrote:Are you building a camp Mary? You had a good set up last year so how are you spending so much? From the ground up minus 2 tents we are building a whole camp with quite a few people and a rough guess we are spending roughly 6 grand when all is said and done for everything the camp needs including shade,kitchen set up, power, water, shower,evap, a bar, ect ect tickets and gas.

Hey Danielle! BB&B sounds great! I'm glad Jeff's plans came to fruition! He's been planning it for years! congrats to the both of you! I'm not building a camp but I do have a project I'm working on! :wink: myself and a few close friends are going to be camping together. it'll be a nice small happy group!
Sometimes I'm confused by what I think is really obvious. But what I think is really obvious obviously isn't obvious.
maryanimal

Burning Since: 2011

Postby BBadger » Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:49 pm

junglesmacks wrote:
trilobyte wrote:$3K-$4K is nothing if you're building art or doing a theme camp with bar, art, or food.

Very true.. I guess though that when times are a bit lean that perspective can be gained into how much excess can be blown through for a week in the desert.

As far as projects and reusable stuff, I think $3-4k is reasonable. Your laser is an example of that. However, I don't think I could burn through that much disposable stuff per year. There's only so much, even when giving away a bit.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby lemur » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:19 pm

enough to make larry a rich guy!!

COINCIDENCE?!

you decide!
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby junglesmacks » Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:45 pm

BBadger wrote:
junglesmacks wrote:

As far as projects and reusable stuff, I think $3-4k is reasonable. Your laser is an example of that. However, I don't think I could burn through that much disposable stuff per year. There's only so much, even when giving away a bit.

Missing the point. I was responding to TG above saying that they were spending around $6k on everything this year. For 2 people coming in from any distance.. $2k is about a nice round number when you add it up. What I'm saying (albeit maybe a little to myself) is that I can't understand spending the extra $4k on extraneous things for just a week unless you're rolling in money. I mean seriously.. that's almost a $1000 a day party. Shit.. spend $2k on BM and take that $4k you saved and go to Europe or Hawaii.. and still have money left over.
junglesmacks

Postby trilobyte » Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:53 pm

Man, Burning Man would be a weak-ass event if everyone planned that way ;) For every crowd-funded thing there are dozens that are self-sufficient projects that come together through campmates and team members saving/giving til it hurts.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby aserendipity » Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:56 pm

EVERYTHING IS RELATIVE
alles ist relativ
aserendipity

Postby tattoogoddess » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:08 pm

junglesmacks wrote:

Missing the point. I was responding to TG above saying that they were spending around $6k on everything this year. For 2 people coming in from any distance.. $2k is about a nice round number when you add it up. What I'm saying (albeit maybe a little to myself) is that I can't understand spending the extra $4k on extraneous things for just a week unless you're rolling in money. I mean seriously.. that's almost a $1000 a day party. Shit.. spend $2k on BM and take that $4k you saved and go to Europe or Hawaii.. and still have money left over.

Keep in mind we started with 2 tents this year, that's it. We had to buy carports,booze, geni, a whole kitchen set up, bed food,booze ect, List goes on and on. Gas alone is about $900 from Iowa and back. We have a theme camp so have to help out others to.
maladroit- Burning Man is like a second job, except you pay to work there.
Burning Man is just the pre party for exodus! - fellow burner during exodus
http://burnon.wix.com/bloodbathandbeyond
tattoogoddess

Camp Name: bloodbath and beyond

Postby aserendipity » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:11 pm

well this is a strange site.
better hurry away to find me again
aserendipity

Postby BBadger » Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:57 pm

junglesmacks wrote:Missing the point. I was responding to TG above saying that they were spending around $6k on everything this year. For 2 people coming in from any distance.. $2k is about a nice round number when you add it up. What I'm saying (albeit maybe a little to myself) is that I can't understand spending the extra $4k on extraneous things for just a week unless you're rolling in money. I mean seriously.. that's almost a $1000 a day party. Shit.. spend $2k on BM and take that $4k you saved and go to Europe or Hawaii.. and still have money left over.

From what I read in that message, that was spread out over a new camp comprising "quite a few people," not just two. I'm not sure how that is broken down among those camp members.

Regardless, whether that money goes to BM equipment or Hawaii/Europe, it's still spending it somewhere as an extraneous expense. So it's more a matter of whether you think it is worth spending that for that week at BM, or in Hawaii, or in Europe. Hell, I'd rather be at, and make stuff for, Burning Man than travel as a tourist -- and pay out the nose -- at the latter two places. I'm probably biased because I live close enough to BM that travel costs there are small compared to other places. Still, I feel I get more value for my money at Burning Man no matter how much I spend -- especially compared to visiting Europe. We'll see about Asia though...
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby aserendipity » Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:25 pm

Yes !
It is indeed a totally personal choice what to do with your self and your assets
and sometimes I listen (albeit a tinge smugly) as people describe their cruise
knowing full well that my time was really the playa cruise of life
xoA.
aserendipity

Postby AntiM » Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:08 am

We do both types of vacation each year, but at this point they're basically paid for except consumables (includes art). The contrast is makes both vacations better.

Screw savings for retirement, I wanna go to warm places in winter.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Ratty » Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:38 pm

I'm in Bali so about $20 a day on bling, gifts, fabrics, fans, coconut stuff etc... This vacation turns out to be little more than a shopping spree for my real vacation.
Pictures or it didn't happen. Greycoyote
"I a recovering swagaholic. I have to resist my grabby nature" VultureChow
"Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on" Savannah
"I'm a motherfucking skeptic tank" SimonofthePlaya
Ratty

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Street Sign Replacement Camp

Postby BurnerBunny » Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:21 pm

junglesmacks wrote:Please don't make me actually add it all up. I try not to think about it.. just do it.. just do it.. don't think..

this, yes this! considering this year I'm splurging on a honda generator, please for the love of god do not tell my partner how much those cost. If he figures out how much i'm planning on spending i'd have way too much 'splainin to do.
BurnerBunny

Camp Name: Iffy Pop

Postby Savannah » Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:43 pm

Ratty wrote:I'm in Bali so about $20 a day on bling, gifts, fabrics, fans, coconut stuff etc... This vacation turns out to be little more than a shopping spree for my real vacation.

Ratty. :lol:

(I don't think I could resist that either).

I hope you're having an amazing time!
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby Ratty » Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:57 am

Yes. A great time. The internet in foreign countries is always a challenge. Go to the cafe. Sit on the floor and stick your legs under the shelf. Hope you remember where everything is on the keyboard because it's really dark and the letters have all worn off. Sweat profusely in the not air conditioned cafe. Can't use all sites. Get kicked off alot. Pay 50 cents to $1.00 per hour. Totally worth it to browse eplaya. Later kids, it's beer time......
Ratty

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:30 pm

Are you sure you don't mean "Oh beer thirty" or "Miller Time"?
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Ratty » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:48 am

It's all Bintang here. Coming home tomorrow. (It takes a whole day to get there). Then...Nothing stands between me and playa prep.
Ratty

Previous

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks