Gulabi Pod I/S/O Theme Camp

Whether you're a registered theme camp or not this is the place to discuss and share camp plans, find a camp to join, or recruit new campmates.

Gulabi Pod I/S/O Theme Camp

Postby blysse » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:50 am

Hey, y'all!

6x burner Blysse here, with an idea for a sub-theme camp I'd like to bring to the Playa in 2013. Gulabi Pod. See background about the Gulabi Gang here: http://www.gulabigang.in/

I am moved to do this because a campmate and I were sexually assaulted on the Playa in 2009 and, since then, I have become increasingly aware of Burning Man's dirty little secret: As sexually freeing as the environment is, as safe as women are made to feel out there, sexual assault and rape still occur far more frequently than anyone wants to admit. This is unacceptable.

Yes, yes, I know: "Major buzz kill, dude. Go away with your activist drama." But is that really how we want to treat this? Are we really going to turn a blind eye to the rape problem on Playa simply because it's too uncomfortable and doesn't fly with the 24/7 party environment? Well, I'm not.

Now, there is an excellent education and awareness group on Playa called B.E.D. or Bureau of Erotic Discourse. They do a wonderful job of education and outreach. I don't mean to diminish or downplay their contribution AT ALL. But much like the Equal Rights movement in the 60's and 70's had several facets -- the pacifist arm led by Martin Luther King Jr. and the militaristic arm in the Black Panther movement -- so can the "Change the Rape Culture" movement have more than one facet on Playa.

[b]My Vision:[/b] What Gulabi Pod is about is a place for women to go to feel safe, first and foremost, but also to feel empowered to say "NO!"

I envision Gulabi pod as providing the following:
* A beautiful, comfy hang-out space draped with cushy pinkness
* A safe place to go to retreat from sexual pressure of any sort
* Some Gulabi Gang marches around the Playa to promote awareness (maybe on Crit Tits day?)
* Lathi (bamboo pole) drills and workshops
* Individual outreach and perp shaming

I am looking for a theme camp to join, one which wouldn't be put off or outraged by this activity, hopefully one close to the Esplanade, the 3:00 or 9:00 Plaza so that the Gulabi haven can be easily found by women in need, one which provides power (ideally but not necessarily) and/or other amenities (yes, I can pay camp dues and I'm not looking for a free ride).

Who am I? Normally a fun-loving, irreverent, party-girl, however much I'm tired of being groped, grabbed and assaulted, I have all my own gear, probably will be tent/car camping out of my Xterra, with a giant swath of Aluminet that I erect over my footprint. It is doubtful that I'll run a genny so noise shouldn't be an issue.

Are you part of a theme camp or village, one that is open to something like this? If so, please reach out! You can email me at sjlab2001@yahoo.com.

Thank you and blessings!

~Blysse~
blysse

Re: Gulabi Pod I/S/O Theme Camp

Postby blysse » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:23 pm

Oops - make that "Civil Rights Movement"
blysse

Postby trilobyte » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:52 am

You could also organize, build, and register your own camp, or perhaps try contacting B.E.D. for suggestions (their members and organizers have worked with a number of host camps over the years).
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby dr.placebo » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:48 pm

As a BED member I think that this is a cool idea. I like having multiple paths explored to reduce sexual assault and harassment.
dr.placebo

Postby MacGlenver » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:39 am

Go get em! I hate having to worry about my girlfriend out there.

PS - link doesnt work
"just two indecisive cowboys, trying to play a word game." - piehole
"Just apply intelligence and discretion and you should be able to get away with just about anything." - Ugly Dougly
MacGlenver

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: I call this one 'Old Gregg'

Postby some seeing eye » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:49 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZxv5WCWivM and visa- /all /every /way /diverse -versa.
Compassion is common sense.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion
some seeing eye

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Postby blysse » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:42 am

Dang it! No "Like" feature! Yes, that is an awesome video. And sorry about the link - it works for me. But you can just Google 'Gulabi Gang' and find the same link I did.

Yes, starting my own theme camp is an idea, but I'm late to get placement this year, and placement is kind of critical, so that the safe haven can be found, and so that I can submit an actual address on the WWW guide. Besides, I'm just one chickie right now, hoping this idea will grow but starting small.
blysse

Return to 2013 Theme Camps