Metayurt (3 hexayurts sharing interior walls)

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

Metayurt (3 hexayurts sharing interior walls)

Postby euthlogo » Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:41 pm

Hey all,

My camp (30 people or so) is planning on using a few hexayurts for sleeping. I was thinking that if the yurts shared some walls, the structural integrity would not be compromised, but we'd be able to bring a few less walls, and minimize the dust flow.
Here is what I was thinking.

Do you think we will have any problems assembling something like this? Any reason we should have trouble taping the 3 roofs to the central wall? Are there any things I am overlooking?
<3
euthlogo

Burning Since: 2013

Re: Metayurt (3 hexayurts sharing interior walls)

Postby trilobyte » Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:10 pm

I've never really been a yurt guy myself, but it seems to me that as the number of yurts increases (or as the yurt farm grows), they'd lose their appeal. They never get any prettier or cheaper per square foot of shade. Plus the yurt panels are kind of a pain to transport and store, IMO. We hauled a friend's yurt panels to and from the playa in our camp's truck last year, and I think in the space those panels took up I could fit all the components and hardware needed to make a conduit frame shade structure that was 5-6 times bigger.

Burning Man's a place of many solutions though, so I'm sure you could make it work. Hopefully some experienced yurt-builders could offer suggestions for those three intersecting edges on your roof. You'll probably need to tape or seal them, so the dust settling in the valleys wouldn't end up in your living space.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby motskyroonmatick » Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:11 pm

Definitely going to need some fresh air ventilation if there are going to be more than a few people sleeping in there.

I'd build a scale model and start troubleshooting what order to assemble the components. I'm thinking it won't go together the typical way yurts are built(walls and roof built separately and then put together). Might have to figure out a way to build it from the center out or come up with a taping tool to reach to the center to tape all the different yurts together over their common walls. Definitely assemble once with camp members before trying it on playa.
Stag Camp 8, 2014. Black Rock City Welding and Repair.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-
motskyroonmatick

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: StagCamp+B.R.C. Welding&Repair.

Postby some seeing eye » Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:20 pm

If N is up in your drawing, shear wind coming from the ESE or WSW could fold the structure. Suggest inside for your missing walls throw a minimal 2x4 shear wall from the ground, up, across just under the roof and down, then stabilize the upper corners with plywood triangles. The wall needs to attach to adjacent panels/roof. Stake the walls and the shear wall. Some people also guy the structure to the ground.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion
some seeing eye

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Postby euthlogo » Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:27 pm

trilobyte wrote:I've never really been a yurt guy myself, but it seems to me that as the number of yurts increases (or as the yurt farm grows), they'd lose their appeal. They never get any prettier or cheaper per square foot of shade. Plus the yurt panels are kind of a pain to transport and store, IMO. We hauled a friend's yurt panels to and from the playa in our camp's truck last year, and I think in the space those panels took up I could fit all the components and hardware needed to make a conduit frame shade structure that was 5-6 times bigger.

I have thought this as well, but people seem to love the dust and heat protection of the yurts so much. Our camp will also have 4 conduit domes of varying diameters that we are still figuring out how to best cover. Maybe we will end up sleeping in one of those. What would your ideal sleeping structure(s) be for a camp of so many folks?

Thanks for the replies guys. You are all awesome
<3
euthlogo

Postby Nipple » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:11 pm

Hey Euthlogo!

You might run into some problems since none of the yurts actually have six complete sides. Some of the strength of the structure comes from the tape ring that completely circles the 6 walls tightly.

I would suggest that you have 3 full and complete yurts. On the walls that are shared you can build a purpose built portal between the two. The walls will become more and more prone to breakage the larger your portal is sized.

Another issue you'll run into is how to anchor the metayurt. The tape end anchor method won't anchor any of the inside panels. On the outside anchor points you could do a tape end, and then for the middle three perhaps bisect a rope with another rope to make some kinda kinky Y-shaped three-way menage-a-tie down rope for the middle three (6) walls.

You could also substitute a 3 ring rope halo and for each of the touching interior walls, tie from halo to halo.

Have you ever built a yurt before? They're super nice, but ignore Trilo's comments at your peril. Each yurt is going to be 4'x'8x1'. I don't have a truck. My yurt is my single more painful logistic to settle. They're not your best bang for your space buck. Though, if you've camped in one, they are SUPER comfy.

Good luck! Do it and report back!
Nipple

Burning Since: 2017

Postby jkisha » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:16 pm

We do a similar structure, though we don't "share" the walls. We just abut the walls and seal them with tape. And there are only two of us using the structure. It makes for a very comfortable abode. We air condition it and have instant hot water showers, freezer and refrigerator and a playa tech elevated king size bed. All the comforts of home.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby some seeing eye » Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:48 am

30 people is a lot of structure. Most hexayurts you can't stand up except in the center. So you can figure out all your hexa costs for the area you will need for 30 people. Then compare that to having a dacron or nylon sailcloth cover made for existing domes. Ideally I'm imagining an inner cover hung from eyebolts at the vertices, an air gap and an outer reflective cover in triangles or parallelograms grommeted onto the outfacing vertex bolt threads. You could build a platform to get 2 stories inside if the domes are big enough. And a dome with a real cover is rentable or otherwise useful other times of the year, and would last for years, hexayurts, not so.
some seeing eye

Postby dragonpilot » Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:38 pm

I got dizzy looking at that illustration.
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.
dragonpilot

Burning Since: 2005

Postby euthlogo » Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:37 pm

jkisha wrote:We do a similar structure, though we don't "share" the walls. We just abut the walls and seal them with tape. And there are only two of us using the structure. It makes for a very comfortable abode. We air condition it and have instant hot water showers, freezer and refrigerator and a playa tech elevated king size bed. All the comforts of home.

Sounds brilliant. Not the experience I will have this year, but you have given me something to aspire to. When you say abut the walls, you mean you still have 6 walls per yurt, but just tape them together? That makes sense.

A 2 level dome sounds like a great idea as well. I wonder if playatech style slotted plywood construction could work for a big platform.

It's good to hear that this concept is feasible, even if we end up going another direction. Thanks to you all.
<3
euthlogo

Postby some seeing eye » Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:55 pm

Playa platforms would be more like 4x4 or larger columns and 2x6-8-10 joists depending on span. The platform wood could be take home reusable, donateable on playa or burnable.
some seeing eye

Postby jkisha » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:30 am

euthlogo wrote:
jkisha wrote:We do a similar structure, though we don't "share" the walls. We just abut the walls and seal them with tape. And there are only two of us using the structure. It makes for a very comfortable abode. We air condition it and have instant hot water showers, freezer and refrigerator and a playa tech elevated king size bed. All the comforts of home.

Sounds brilliant. Not the experience I will have this year, but you have given me something to aspire to. When you say abut the walls, you mean you still have 6 walls per yurt, but just tape them together? That makes sense.

A 2 level dome sounds like a great idea as well. I wonder if playatech style slotted plywood construction could work for a big platform.

It's good to hear that this concept is feasible, even if we end up going another direction. Thanks to you all.

Yes, we build complete yurts that could each stand alone. We have door openings cut to the abutted walls. We have a front door on the main yurt and a door on the bedroom, which keeps it literally dust free.(if you remember to undress before going into the bedroom.)
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Return to Shelter & Camping