Could this structure be mod-ed to withstand BRC?

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

Could this structure be mod-ed to withstand BRC?

Postby duder9000 » Thu May 19, 2011 11:52 pm

I'm considering purchasing the Guide Gear 18' x 18' Teepee Tent as home to our camp's secondary interactive experience/chill space. One of the draws is the particular shape (ideally would have loved to snare one of those elusive North Star 30' Party Tents had they not gone extinct!)

Still shots/description - the 18'x18', not the 10'x10':
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/g ... x?a=619972

Video!:
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/site ... e_Tent.mov

My mod plans would include sleeving the current main support pole in EMT conduit, as well as putting the pole over rebar driven well into the ground. Obviously included stakes would be replaced with rebar, guidelines would be upgraded.

So my concerns are strength and airflow. The tent claims to have airflow at the top that is "rain protected", so I may remove the top flap to expose what I imagine is some mesh (or raise the flap to expose the mesh more. There are also apparently numerous air vents around the bottom of the tent.

I am not concerned about keeping dust out. This is no-one's sleeping area and we've been fine with dusty group areas in the past.

Anyone think it is possible that this won't be a total oven? If I rip out the mesh at the bottom vents (for more free flowing air) will that compromise the structure too much?

Would you recommend a tarp over the whole thing as additional sun protection?

Any chance this will be strong enough if it is staked and reinforced properly?

I've put a lot of thought into this so far but I'm looking for holes in my logic or votes of confidence, or both. Feel free to tell me I am a big dummy. Also, has anyone found anything similar to the North Pole 30' Party Shade?

There was 1 other thread from 2 years ago I found that mentioned this product but it did not address these issues. Thanks for reading!
duder9000

Postby illy dilly » Fri May 20, 2011 10:04 am

I've never used one of these tents, so what I saw is only speculative.
It looks to me like that black part at the top that coves the top vent could be help open to allow heat to rise. I think that removing it would damage the tent and allow water to come right down in through the top. I figure it would be best to find a way to rig them "stuck" open.

The side/bottom vents look pretty awesome. From the video it looks like they can be rolled up or stuck half open like a hood vent over a stove. I wouldn't make any modifications to it... at least not tell I set it up and tested it.

If you were to cut off all the mesh and covers for the openings, and it did rain, it would fill up with water since it has the tarp bottom. Then you would need a mop or a bunch of towels. If it were already dusty in side, then it rained, it would turn to mud.

The dark color will probably block out most UV rays. SO if you open it up for a little bit just before sun rise, then close it right after the sun comes up, you can probably trap the cold air in for an extra hour or so. Then open it up wide and let the hot air vent out.

Again, I don't own one of these, but I'm thinking I need to buy one just to have. We take an RV to Bman. But the RV doesn't off road very well, so isn't real useful for mountain camping, I'm thinking I need to make one of these my new mountain camping tent.
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby illy dilly » Fri May 20, 2011 10:21 am

The other thing I'm not seeing is what hold the center pole up where it meets the ground?
http://image.sportsmansguide.com/dimage/175419i_ts.JPG?cell=300,300&cvt=jpeg In that picture it looks like it just rests on the bottom tarm. Maybe it would make since to stick it into an umbrella base. But its big bulky and doesn't pack very small.

It might be easier to get a piece of EMT, a coffee can, and some gravel. Just put the EMT in the can fill it with gravel around the EMT, and cut a whole in the Coffee can lid. Another idea is to use what ever is around where you're camping instead of gravel. In BRC a few scoops of dust, in the mountains some dirt and rocks, and the beach some sand... what ever, you get it.
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Postby MrBlue » Fri May 20, 2011 10:34 am

I bought this tent and took it to our regional burn and burning man last year.

It definitely needs some improvements if you want it to survive.

First issue: the pole was too long to actually stand up in the center of the tent.

Second issue: the netting at the top is only connected by a crappy grommet, which broke the very first time I set up the tent.

Third issue: the guy lines that come with the tent are really weak and dont properly stabilize the top of the tent.

To resolve these issues I cut 6" off the support pole, set 2 seperate grommets in the top netting and cover, then created an additional top piece that I attached 5 lengths of paracord guy lines to properly stabalize the top of the tent.

I had some sections of 80% shade cloth that I attached to the guy lines that covered the eastern side of the tent.

The tent held up pretty good, lots of space, and it didn't get too hot until 10ish in the mornings. I just had a small tear on of the door corners about mid-week which lasted the rest of the burn with a bit of tape on it.

Overall, I would say it's a good amount of space for the money, but I would be prepared to make some modifications if you want it to survive.
MrBlue

Postby MrBlue » Fri May 20, 2011 10:36 am

illy dilly wrote:The other thing I'm not seeing is what hold the center pole up where it meets the ground?

It comes with a plastic flange that the support pole fits into.
MrBlue

Postby illy dilly » Fri May 20, 2011 11:12 am

MrBlue wrote:
illy dilly wrote:The other thing I'm not seeing is what hold the center pole up where it meets the ground?

It comes with a plastic flange that the support pole fits into.

OK, that makes since. And its probably black so that why you can't see it in the pic.
Do you think that where the pole hits the ground tarp it would likely create a tear? Would it make since to put a peace of ply word or something under the flange deal.

Thats pretty strange that the poll is too tall.
Did you get the 10x10 or the 18x18?
illy dilly

Postby MrBlue » Fri May 20, 2011 11:22 am

illy dilly wrote:Do you think that where the pole hits the ground tarp it would likely create a tear? Would it make since to put a peace of ply word or something under the flange deal.

The flange has approx a 6" diameter base, so I didn' t have any problems with the tarp tearing. The flange has a couple holes in it for screws, so you could easily attach it to something with more surface area if you wanted. A piece of plywood would work well.

illy dilly wrote:Thats pretty strange that the poll is too tall.
Did you get the 10x10 or the 18x18?

Yeah, I was really surprised that the pole didn't work. I suspect that the top section of netting was sewn incorrectly.

I had the 18' diameter one.
MrBlue

Postby duder9000 » Fri May 20, 2011 12:49 pm

Ah, wonderful! Thank you Illy Dilly and Mr Blue, I will be doing all of these things.

Hey, just noticed, first post Mr Blue! May I commend you on your most excellent inaugural contribution. Welcome to eplaya! I'm rather new myself. Well, I'm rather new to non-lurker status that is. 8)
duder9000

Postby MrBlue » Fri May 20, 2011 1:09 pm

duder9000 wrote:Ah, wonderful! Thank you Illy Dilly and Mr Blue, I will be doing all of these things.

Hey, just noticed, first post Mr Blue! May I commend you on your most excellent inaugural contribution. Welcome to eplaya! I'm rather new myself. Well, I'm rather new to non-lurker status that is. 8)

Thanks, glad to help out.

Another thing to note is that the tent has 2 doors opposite of each other. So if you want good ventilation, you can just open both doors to get a cross-breeze.
MrBlue

Postby duder9000 » Fri May 20, 2011 1:30 pm

WHAT I had no idea about the two doors! How silly for them to not include that info in the product descrip, photos or video. Great news.
duder9000

Postby Token » Fri May 20, 2011 2:12 pm

Just for schnitz and giggle:

Other than a well scured car-port, most commercially available shade/shelter gizmos in the sub $500 range will fail on the Playa. Maybe not right away, maybe not catastrophically, but they all done gone break.

Bring lots of duct tape.
Token

Burning Since: 2001

Postby duder9000 » Sat May 21, 2011 1:36 pm

Thanks Token. I'm definitely approaching the whole thing with caution. Also considering building this my own. I'm making three 12x30 monkey huts, but this is my first year really entering the building realm so I'm on a learning curve, and not as confident DIY-ing this desired shape (something rounded or hexagonal with a pointed top). Will keep exploring before I buy.
duder9000

Postby BetaBox » Sun May 22, 2011 5:47 pm

This is the guide gear tent that i bought a couple of years ago.

http://www.amazon.com/Guide-Gear-Double ... roduct_top

If you reinforce it where the poles and tie downs meet, its pretty decent. replaced the center pole with 1"+ emt. Held up to the wind great in our camp. I'm sure the teepee could be even better.

http://twitpic.com/51awef
BetaBox

Postby illy dilly » Mon May 23, 2011 3:35 pm

I like that cause its white and theoretically would stay cooler. But I like the height of the 18x18 green one.
illy dilly

Postby duder9000 » Tue May 24, 2011 1:54 am

Thanks Betabox! I also like how on the double wigwam one the walls don't slope diagonally all the way to the floor. I've only bought one Guide Gear product (a freestanding hammock for 40 bucks) but I was seriously impressed by their quality:cost ratio. I'm glad to hear it seems to be extending to their other products.
duder9000

Re: Could this structure be mod-ed to withstand BRC?

Postby Tealish » Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:32 pm

So, duder, were you able to reinforce the teepee in the way you had hoped? Did it withstand the conditions and allow for adequate airflow? Been lookin at the same one and am seriously considering it
Tealish

Postby Savannah » Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:11 pm

If duder doesn't report back . . . I am very fond of Guide Gear as a brand, and have used one of their tents 3 years running. However, as with almost all other tents, you're probably not going to be comfortable during an average day between 9am - 3pm, period, unless the tent is completely shaded, or perhaps shaded + swamp cooler (see the "Cooling Your Tent or Van" thread; I believe it's in the "Keeping Cool" forum). The only tent I have ever heard of being nap-friendly in the daytime without shading or a swamp cooler is a Springbar canvas tent, and I'm not sure whether my campmate was exceptional or not. (But I do hear the canvas tents stay a bit cooler than nylon.)

I don't bother shading my tent, which is a Guide Gear Single Pole Wigwam (similar, but not identical). When I first wake up I might unzip a vent while I dress or grab a few things--and flip on my camping fan--but these steps are not going to make it double as shade. So I set my tent next to my shade, and go into the shade each morning*. The wigwam has withstood 3 burns just fine, kept out the rain twice in 2010 (once for hours--once more for an hour or two) and has held up to moderate wind. (It's never been wind-tested quite like the city was tested in 2008. That was a doozy of a year. $40 dome tent survived that, oddly enough.) If the wind was truly bad to my wigwam, my plan was to take 30 seconds to collapse the center pole, set my cooler on the whole shebang, and wander off. I haven't had to do this yet.

* If I had a large shade I would shade my tent, but I don't--my beloved shade is 10 feet x 15 feet. So it's much better standing next to my tent (preferably East of it) and I like to sit in it and watch the world go by until my breakfast is finished.
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby jmeecakes » Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:20 pm

Greetings! This will be my first year and I've been considering the Guide Gear Olive Green Teepee as well. I am mainly concerned with buying a tent that I may not be able to use in other camping events if I have to modify it a bunch. I am wondering if folks have more feedback about this tent as it's within my price range and would seemingly require little extra effort in the building department.
~ Be a Fountain, not a Drain
jmeecakes

Burning Since: 2013

Postby mudpuppy000 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:42 am

I'm not sure if it's that particular brand/model, but one of my campmates brings a teepee that looks similar and it works fine.
mudpuppy000

Camp Name: Orphan Endorphin

Postby dragonpilot » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:26 am

I've been using the same Coleman family-size car-camping tent for almost 30 years...8 of those years on the playa. I think it cost me about $80. With proper staking, guying, and pitching it behind a windbreak (cars, vans, RVs) it has served me well.

It's an oven during the day, so other than making a quick grab for something I spend most of the day time out and about seeking shade here and there. I stitched blanket material over the top mesh to minimize dust sifting in. It's been an awesome sleeping and storage shelter. I clean it thoroughly soon after returning home with a liberal spritzing of white vinegar and water, and spray the zippers with silicone lube...she's ready for another year!

Just illustrating one doesn't have to over-think or spend a fortune on playa shelter...as usual YMMV.
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.
dragonpilot

Burning Since: 2005

Postby mudpuppy000 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:27 pm

dragonpilot wrote:I've been using the same Coleman family-size car-camping tent for almost 30 years...8 of those years on the playa. I think it cost me about $80. With proper staking, guying, and pitching it behind a windbreak (cars, vans, RVs) it has served me well.

It's an oven during the day, so other than making a quick grab for something I spend most of the day time out and about seeking shade here and there. I stitched blanket material over the top mesh to minimize dust sifting in. It's been an awesome sleeping and storage shelter. I clean it thoroughly soon after returning home with a liberal spritzing of white vinegar and water, and spray the zippers with silicone lube...she's ready for another year!

Just illustrating one doesn't have to over-think or spend a fortune on playa shelter...as usual YMMV.

Hmmm, that's a good idea about the mesh... I used a crappy $50 tent from target last year (inside a carport) and the only problem was the dust coming through the mesh. I might try and seal it up with something this year.
mudpuppy000

Postby Savannah » Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:03 pm

mudpuppy000 wrote:
dragonpilot wrote:I've been using the same Coleman family-size car-camping tent for almost 30 years...8 of those years on the playa. I think it cost me about $80. With proper staking, guying, and pitching it behind a windbreak (cars, vans, RVs) it has served me well.

Hmmm, that's a good idea about the mesh... I used a crappy $50 tent from target last year (inside a carport) and the only problem was the dust coming through the mesh. I might try and seal it up with something this year.

Lots of people use fleece and spring clamps to close mesh, so they don't have to sew.
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Postby MyDearFriend » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:22 am

Savannah wrote:
Lots of people use fleece and spring clamps to close mesh, so they don't have to sew.

Yep, that works fine. I get good results with shark-bites and bungees on my cheap fleece tent-covers.
Practice Love. Exercise Sex.

"When life seems dangerous and unmanageable, just remember that it is, and that you can't survive forever."
MyDearFriend

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp DREAD PIRATE BARBIE

Postby dragonpilot » Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:37 pm

MyDearFriend wrote:
Savannah wrote:

Yep, that works fine. I get good results with shark-bites and bungees on my cheap fleece tent-covers.

A couple of 6-packs, a stout needle and thread, a sunny day and time on your hands...it's done! (Altho the last few stitches seemed to wander off track...)
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.
dragonpilot

Burning Since: 2005

Postby mudpuppy000 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:18 pm

Hmmm interesting. What kind of fleece exactly? The same stuff that they make jackets out of? Does that do better than other types of cloth?
mudpuppy000

Postby Savannah » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:13 pm

Pretty much the same as jacket material, yes--the cuddly stuff. Fleece is cheap and densely woven, hence the attraction. It's hard for the dust to get through.

You could cut a fleece blanket that's in decent shape, if you already have one you don't use and it's big enough.
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Postby lemur » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:38 pm

in BRC someone WILL piss on, or in, your tent.

plan accordingly
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby MyDearFriend » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:18 pm

mudpuppy000 wrote:Hmmm interesting. What kind of fleece exactly? The same stuff that they make jackets out of? Does that do better than other types of cloth?

2/$5 fleece throws from Rite-Aid work great. Though I also have a nice thick one courtesy of my Corporate Overlords that sheds rain as well. Hasn't been pissed on yet, though I have been tempted.
Practice Love. Exercise Sex.

"When life seems dangerous and unmanageable, just remember that it is, and that you can't survive forever."
MyDearFriend

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp DREAD PIRATE BARBIE

Return to Shelter & Camping