Please contribute!!! Personal research/survey

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.

Please contribute!!! Personal research/survey

Postby paigeme » Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:12 pm

hello people of burning man!!! this year will be my first year attending (and i couldn't be more excited) and as a part of my experience i've decided i really want to learn about as many burners' experiences as i can. anthropology has been my major for 4 years of college, and it has made me have a huge interest in people and communities, and the forces that pull people together, and so for my own personal research (this is not for a school project or anything like that) i've decided to do a survey for anyone who wants to contribute. nothing will be published or shared to the rest of the world, it is for my personal knowledge only (i may choose to write a paper for myself, but i will ask permission first or use fictional names). if you would like to participate here is the link to my survey:

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/9W5ZHB3

i'm not sure if the questions have word limits, so if there's anything you want to say that won't fit please feel free to email me! paigeme80@aol.com (or find me on Facebook but that may be difficult www.facebook.com/paige.nicole.s)

i will also be bringing a tape recorder to burning man and will try to speak with as many people as possible, so if you happen to see a red head running around with a tape recorder and have something you want to say please come speak to me!!

much love to everyone out there, can't wait to be a part of this amazing experience :)

ALSO please know that this is not for "tips" on burning man (because that's just silly, no expectations!). i'm merely interested in how burning man has affected people and to be able to hear the personal experiences of anyone who wants to share!
paigeme

Burning Since: 2013

Re: Please contribute!!! Personal research/survey

Postby lemur » Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:23 pm

aw fck.

i was hoping that we could do the survey on the forum.

i wanted to see the wacky results.
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby BBadger » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:17 pm

The only answers you need are in this video:

[media]
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby Roberto Dobbisano » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:54 pm

paigeme80@aol.com

oh my god, thats SO cute!

like typewriters, and handkerchiefs.
one nation, under a groove.
Roberto Dobbisano

Postby Sham » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:59 pm

Welcome to eplaya Paigeme.
If you can wait just 6 short months, you can fill this out yourself. :D
Sham

Postby ygmir » Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:24 pm

http://eplaya.burningman.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=63936

[media]
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby some seeing eye » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:49 pm

There are many varieties of BM participants. Depending on where you live there might be pockets of burners who have house parties and fund raising parties. They can be studied in situ before the event. Most people will say it is difficult to understand the event until you have experienced it. Joining a good camp is golden.

There have been other ethnographers interested and last year someone conducted a proper random sample survey at the gate. And there have been discussions over at http://blog.burningman.com/ on academia and BM.

I have my own theories, but would not want to bias your study. Also ePlaya is not a representative sample of BM participants, though they are knowledgeable about how to prepare to survive in relative comfort.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion
some seeing eye

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:55 am

paigeme wrote:hello people of burning man!!! this year will be my first year attending ... i've decided to do a survey ...

I'm amazed at how little snark you've received. Maybe it's the no actual paper to be written thing, I don't know.
Here;s a freebie: While many burners are willing to talk to one for extended periods one on one or in small groups, if they thing you should go, they often clam up when it comes to anthropologists and journalists. There is a history of bizarre characterizations in the press, that makes many dubious about being able to talk to an outsider without it being twisted and distorted thereafter.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby clocksnmirrors » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:58 am

paigeme wrote:i'm merely interested in how burning man has affected people and to be able to hear the personal experiences of anyone who wants to share!

is this going to be the basis of a future thesis?
WEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeee heee heee heeeee! *burp*
clocksnmirrors

Burning Since: 2012

Postby paigeme » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:44 pm

been getting great responses so far! sorry to anyone that's been offended, that is not my intention and i'm not trying to "study" people. anyway, thank you to everyone thats contributed and keep it comin! anyone that is annoyed with me, i'm sorry and hope i can make it up to you somehow this year at burning man :)
paigeme

Postby paigeme » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:47 pm

clocksnmirrors wrote:
paigeme wrote:i'm merely interested in how burning man has affected people and to be able to hear the personal experiences of anyone who wants to share!

is this going to be the basis of a future thesis?

nope :)
paigeme

Postby ranger magnum » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:41 pm

I drank the koolaid and took the survey...
Drugs may take you down the road to nowhere, but at least its the scenic route.
ranger magnum

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: Camp Yonder/Ottoman Empire

Return to Experiences at Burning Man