Safety and Operational Procedures for mutV's ?

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and mutant vehicles - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues. For ride and RV shares, please go to Share Resources.

Safety and Operational Procedures for mutV's ?

Postby Gano » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:24 am

We're hoping to bring our first mutant vehicle this year to the playa: a double-decked 28' foot bus-based art piece.

We've started reading the application and are putting together our safety/operational procedures manual. I was wondering if other experienced members could offer some tips/advice.

For example, how many spotters/walkers should we have? What are the key operational roles?
What are some of the most essential rules? (e.g. no on/offs while moving, "all is well" signals from every spotter before moving, ...)
Did you have a series of checklists/activities each day? If so, what did they entail? (e.g. mechanical, safety, sound, lighting)
What are the critical considerations if someone gets hurt? (e.g. is there a CB channel for the ranger station?)
Etiquette w/other vehicles? (e.g. pass port-to-port?)

Thanks!
Mike

http://www.facebook.com/TheArtCar
Gano

Re: Safety and Operational Procedures for mutV's ?

Postby Eric » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:25 pm

I've moved this over to "Transportation", where it's a better fit.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:33 pm

MVs are beautiful and blood thirsty--4 spotters.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Ugly Dougly » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:22 am

Not every MV needs spotters. (Golf carts? Scooters?) Probably depends on the size.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby TomServo » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:12 am

A 28 foot bus, should have spotters! Not required (unless there are too many blind spots), and will earn you Brownie points with the DMV. I am a Hottie. It's not necessary, but a kill switch located with spotters would definitely be a plus as well. I would recommend under chassis lighting..that illuminates the ground under and around the MV. This is, of course if you're applying for a night permit. Front and back spotters should be enough...or, one in back, if the driver's view is ground level and unobstructed.
Keep true to the design you are approved for!! If your illuminating the MV, take some time and completely light it up! Hotties have your submitted pic to compare the final results with, so..if you are approved..again..stay true to the Original proposal! Best of Luck!!

Addendum: No flashing blue or red lights, stop during whiteouts, pay attention to WHERE you are designated to drive (Large MVs are typically limited to playa only), if you have sound, you will also be restricted..depending on the volume of your sound system.
anything worth doing is worth overdoing..
TomServo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby Jared » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:33 am

Hey, I'm on Gano's team. The idea has been floated of having spotters who are on bike or foot off the bus to be able to "scout" for issues. Is that overkill or a great idea?
Jared

Postby lemur » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:43 am

have some common sense procedures that youve made up ..

if the driver of the vehicle cannot see where they are going.. the vehicle probably needs a spotter... if the driver can see fine, they probably dont need one...

ive been a part of some DMV application reviews where we have decided to contact the applicant when how the driver will see and get around safely isnt made clear in the sketches/description or in the safety plan part of their application... having this kind of thing considered before writing out yer app will help avoid such slowdowns

in general the safety procedures for your vehicle will be up to you, common sense stuff to make sure everyone is safe.. you know yer vehicle the best.

of course the best rule would be no getting on or off while the vehicle is moving..

there is no CB channel, but there is MURS radio that burning man uses for safety emergency... ( read about that here http://www.burningman.com/preparation/e ... playa.html )
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby Rice » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:16 am

I have driven the bus (large school bus) that takes the Gate & Perimeter volunteers to their shifts. Driving through BRC in a long school bus is not easy. Keep to the speed limit and always be prepared to stop!! It seems to get worse as the weekend approaches. Most of my experience is driving through the city, so I cannot attest to what is necessary on the open playa.

People will walk or ride their bikes into the side of the bus if given the opportunity. Having one spotter on each side will reduce the likely hood of this happening. (this seems to be most essential at intersections and while turning corners)

If there is a dust storm, a spotter with the driver helps (especially at night). If there is a dust storm and the driver cannot see the ground stop & if at night, light up the vehicle!
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."
Rice

Burning Since: 2007

Postby Savannah » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:45 am

Medical stations are at

3:00 and C
9:00 & C
5:15 & Esplanade
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby Jared » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:17 pm

Wow, a MURS radio looks like a great investment - thanks for the link.

So just to clarify, you'd recommend spotters riding on the top of the bus looking over the sides rather than on a bike or something?
Jared

Postby lemur » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:33 pm

have whatever you think is needed to keep everyone safe
lemur

Postby lemur » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:41 pm

people like to talk about safety third, and the 'keep burning man potentially fatal' shit.. but really.. hurting/killing someone out there is the last way you want to spend your time.

id suppose anyone bringing such a large vehicle would be wont to make sure that priority #1 is safety.

it might not be such a problem for a guy on a little golf cart compared to one in a huge vehicle..

agreeing to bring a vehicle, especially a big one.. is in a way entering an agreement with the community/participants.. an agreement that expects a level of awareness and action that matches the danger of such a thing in such a place.

notice that the DMV is part of the playa safety apparatus of burning man

http://afterburn.burningman.com/12/playa_safety/

it might be a party bus for a week.. but it could easily become anything but a party...

dont just blindly do what people here say..

if you cant manage to figure some of this stuff out for yourselves.. maybe itd be better if you had something smaller/safer.. or nothing at all.
lemur

Return to Transportation