Playa Storytelling Project Fundraiser

Find out more about projects that need your help, and how you can show them support. Please note: only on-playa projects may be listed.

Playa Storytelling Project Fundraiser

Postby watsonme » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:25 pm

I am a second time burner doing my first project this year. Please check out my indiegogo link. Would love any support you can give!

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/storytime-at-burning-man/x/2673635
watsonme

Burning Since: 2009

Re: Playa Storytelling Project

Postby BBadger » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:29 pm

A $1,500 kick-fund-me for a bunch of childrens' books sounds like an awful lot.

Why don't you just buy some cheap books at a used bookstore, bring them, and then see how the project flies before seeking additional funding?
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby Dr Helix » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:50 am

Fine. I offer moral support, a hearty handshake and a good luck to you. Money? No.
"Love, Rockets and write when you get work"
Dr Helix

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Interaction Cafe

Postby watsonme » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:52 pm

Yeah,

I think i'm back to the drawing board with this. Thanks for the input!
watsonme

Postby AbundantChoice » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:56 pm

What would probably help your Indiegogo page is some information as to what the money is going towards. Is this all going towards books that you will be giving away after reading on the playa? Or is this also supposed to cover your ticket, travel costs, etc? People will probably be far more amenable to the former, and reluctant to fund the latter.

Something to think about as you re-tool your project, or engage in any more online fundraising; transparency about what the funds will be used for helps across the board.

(one random thought; maybe pick one or two of your absolute most favorite kids books, and think about a way to bring them to life? Also, have you gotten in touch with the people over in Kidsville?)
All Black Holes Begin As Stars.
AbundantChoice

Re: Playa Storytelling Project Fundraiser

Postby watsonme » Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:06 pm

Good ideas all! Will probably reimage this project as just a few of my favorite books read on the Playa with some cool costumes. Don't need to raise money for that. All my expenses besides the books and possibly some shipping are already covered.If you have some info on contacts at Kidsville that would be great info!
watsonme

Postby Phoenix Puppet » Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:17 am

I like your revamped idea and you don't have to compromise your intention if you team up with others. People are hosting lots of storytime stuff on Playa that you can join. Check out the PlayaEvents section of burningman.com and you'll see lots of stuff. I'm actually doing two Storytime events and need Readers, so feel free to contact me about reading at my event (info below).

Tuesday August 27th, 2013 noon - 3:00 p.m. and Thursday, August 29th, 2013 noon – 3 p.m.
Contact Email: Phoenix.isacks@gmail.com
Description:
Remember that Storytime before Nap Time when you were a kid? Spend hot o'clock (12:00pm - 3:00pm) in the shade of Prometheatrics' dome while listening to various Readers share their favorite short stories. Feel free to bring your own story to share and make sure to bring something comfy to sit on, should you desire something softer than carpet-covered Playa.
Phoenix Puppet

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Prometheatrics

Postby Aya » Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:53 pm

Let me help you out here with advise from one of the BEST thrifters around.
Use these resources and keep them holy!
Craiglist
Yard sales
Freecycle
Word of mouth
Library discards

Make your goal not to spend a dime unless you are getting a really good deal.
Talk to Thrift stores and ask to buy their "Ragged" kids books at discount, all thrift stores rotate stock and either throw away or recycle the old books.
Hit Yard sales at about 2:30-5pm Sat, most people will do about anything in order to get rid of the goods by this time so they wont have to haul the crap back into the garage.
Make a bulk offer, example: will you take $5 for all the books.(only have $5 showing, "this is all I have" usually works, keep all your other cash hiding in the car or back pocket.
Put a wanted add on craigslist, do not go into detail on what you need them for, short and sweet, "kids books wanted for free or cheap, large amounts welcome"
Join Freecycle and put a request for kids books and watch for kids books.
Word of mouth, let everyone you know what your looking for and to pass on the word for you.
I hope this helps!
Aya

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Black Rock Army

Postby Lonely Unicorn » Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:39 am

This is such a beautiful idea, but what if you told stories that were about the playa? I adore the people of Burning Man because what we do is create.

Cargo Cult, in my mind is a beautiful infusion of all our "traditions" on the playa with the homogenization of so many counter cultures. Burning Man, for many people, has become the big holiday that we look forward to every year. We have a temple and monsters and mythical figures and heroes. The addition of a written tradition; story books about our ideas and superstitions on the playa would be beautiful and I would absolutely contribute to a kick starter if it enabled the printing and distribution of these stories.

:idea: Perhaps I will collect them myself and do my own kick-starter next year. :idea:

Would you like to come with me? Are the people out there who know pieces of our oral tradition who would like to share it?
Lonely Unicorn

Burning Since: 2010

Postby FIGJAM » Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:30 pm

"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Return to 2013 Support A Project