PLAYA FASHION - What works? What doesn't?

What to wear? What not to wear? Where to find and how to make anything from goggles to fantastic pieces of playawear.

Re: PLAYA FASHION - What works? What doesn't?

Postby Ratty » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:24 am

Thanks Simon, That's an amazing site. I can cancel several magazine subscriptions now.
Pictures or it didn't happen. Greycoyote
"I a recovering swagaholic. I have to resist my grabby nature" VultureChow
"Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on" Savannah
"I'm a motherfucking skeptic tank" SimonofthePlaya
Ratty

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Street Sign Replacement Camp

Postby Simon of the Playa » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:33 am

you know you love it...
breathe deep, the playa is the dust of your ancestors

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby Krokodyle » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:58 pm

Fufa wrote:Image

I wish I could afford these.

Wow, I sooooo want these. :shock:
I can't help it, I'm a born lever-puller.
Krokodyle

Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: (Endorphin) Orphans Too

Postby mytripod » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:30 am

Last time I mostly wore comfy cotton nightshirts, but I didn't like them that much when riding my bike all over the place. This year I'll probably bring a couple for sitting around in, but I'm bringing my favorite pairs of crop pants and some old favorite t-shirts. I can't wear boots (foot problems), so I'll have my earth shoes and crocs, and plenty of socks. I am planning to make fuzzy boots for my dolls though. And I have a nice purple fuzzy purse that should be just right for carrying my drink cup and a container of coconut water and handful of gifts. Choosing the right hat is always my biggest issue. I've always loved those pointy Asian hats, but they are spendy (I'm always on an extremely tight budget), and they look like the wind would be constantly tugging at them even when they are securely tied under your chin.
mytripod

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Paul Revere's Party

Postby junglesmacks » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:05 am

Krokodyle wrote:
Fufa wrote:Image

Why couldn't you just make these.. or an approximation thereof? Get some leather, start cutting and experimenting!
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby Krokodyle » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:09 am

junglesmacks wrote:
Krokodyle wrote:
Fufa wrote:

Why couldn't you just make these.. or an approximation thereof? Get some leather, start cutting and experimenting!

Dude...have you seen my BM to-do list?? :lol:

Point taken, though. It's not like I couldn't do some research and mess around a bit.
I can't help it, I'm a born lever-puller.
Krokodyle

Camp Name: (Endorphin) Orphans Too

Postby Eric » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:24 pm

mytripod wrote:I've always loved those pointy Asian hats, but they are spendy (I'm always on an extremely tight budget), and they look like the wind would be constantly tugging at them even when they are securely tied under your chin.

Spendy? $6 - $12 bucks in Chinatown, and if you don't have a chinatown near you (I'm spoiled in SF, we have a couple: the ones the tourists know about, and the one out in the Avenues for the locals...), try this site.

Make sure you get one that ties under the chin, and, yes, you are correct, the wind will constantly tug on them. I wore on in '05 (I think), and it was great for walking around or being near camp, but I never took it if I had to bike somewhere.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby mytripod » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:36 pm

Thank you! Those are way cheaper than the ones I browsed before (I don't have a Chinatown near me). I still don't know if I want a pointy sail on my head, but they do seem like they might be nice around town. I'm more of a ballcap person, even though I spend a lot of time in the desert, but ballcaps are pretty boring, and I look just as stupid in them as most people do.
mytripod

Postby Ratty » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:38 am

A ball cap is a great starting point for making a real hat. Add a plastic tube and cover with fabric for a top hat. Or and unstuffed animal for faux hair. an upside down beach bucket looks good too. Sew a wig to it. Cover it with something shiney. Bring a can of spray adhesive with you and cover it with playa when you get there.
Ratty

Postby MyDearFriend » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:03 am

Ratty wrote:A ball cap is a great starting point for making a real hat. Add a plastic tube and cover with fabric for a top hat. Or and unstuffed animal for faux hair. an upside down beach bucket looks good too. Sew a wig to it. Cover it with something shiney. Bring a can of spray adhesive with you and cover it with playa when you get there.

Ratty I imagine a cork or something in the top of your head, that you pull out every once in a while to shower us with brilliant creative ideas. Thank you!

8) 8) 8)
Practice Love. Exercise Sex.

"When life seems dangerous and unmanageable, just remember that it is, and that you can't survive forever."
MyDearFriend

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp DREAD PIRATE BARBIE

Postby Ratty » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:57 am

Our local Target store has an amazing $1 -$3 section where you walk in. Yesterday I bought a felt Easter bucket for $1. I'm making it into a top hat. they have glow sticks 12 for $1. I break em into little jars and make glow lights in my camp. They also have sleep masks in funny designs and really cute heavy plastic bowls and plates. For just a buck!!
Ratty

Postby mytripod » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:05 am

Thanks for the fun ideas. I shall endeavor to make my ballcap less stupid and more silly.
mytripod

Postby Simon of the Playa » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:21 pm

simple is the precursor to elegant.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:24 pm

So, Noel's camping with you this year? I thought Apok had put together a nice little package for him.
Alas. Always a bridesmaid, never a bride...
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby timujin » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:19 pm

So... yeah. First time going, but I've done a lot of other desert-y type stuff. I'm planning on being one of those, um, douchebags (?) wearing a shemagh as a skirt and a couple of extras tied around the waist to tie around my face in a dust storm and to offer others for the same. I like loose linen shirts and linen pants, too. My experience is that loose and flowing with freedom in the crotchal area is key. I'd wear a kilt, but damn those things are expensive. Usually made of heavier fabric, too. With the shemagh, you can gather it up and tie it off when you're riding a bike.

Nighttime? I have no idea yet, though whatever it is will likely have lights of some sort. Amazon has a bunch of different "rice lights", which are string lights with small LEDs:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_ ... ice+lights
You can either buy battery operated ones or rewire them to run off of batteries. The real reason I like them is that it's easier than stringing your own.

Also... can someone explain shirtcock?
timujin

Postby Savannah » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:37 pm

Welcome to ePlaya. You can have an Introductory thread in the Introduce Yourself forum too, if you like.

timujin wrote:So... yeah. First time going, but I've done a lot of other desert-y type stuff. I'm planning on being one of those, um, douchebags (?) wearing a shemagh as a skirt and a couple of extras tied around the waist to tie around my face in a dust storm and to offer others for the same. I like loose linen shirts and linen pants, too. My experience is that loose and flowing with freedom in the crotchal area is key. I'd wear a kilt, but damn those things are expensive. Usually made of heavier fabric, too. With the shemagh, you can gather it up and tie it off when you're riding a bike.

I've never heard of wearing a shemagh as a skirt being a negative. Maybe that's a regional thing? :)

I do the tie-up trick, too. I'm a big fan of tying my skirt into a rosette on one side, hopping off my bike and unfurling said skirt.

Nighttime? I have no idea yet, though whatever it is will likely have lights of some sort. Amazon has a bunch of different "rice lights", which are string lights with small LEDs:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_ ... ice+lights
You can either buy battery operated ones or rewire them to run off of batteries. The real reason I like them is that it's easier than stringing your own.

Also... can someone explain shirtcock?

It's when a man wears a shirt, but no pants.

And no . . . no one can really explain it. :lol:

. . . Actually, it's kind of a cowardly/sneaky way of being naked* and that's why I personally don't care for it. Just be naked, already. It's more noble to be naked and imperfect than sneaky &/or apologetic in a shirt.

* Although--at this point--some folks just do it to get a reaction.
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby timujin » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:50 pm

Savannah wrote:I've never heard of wearing a shemagh as a skirt being a negative. Maybe that's a regional thing? :)

Earlier in the thread someone was talking about how it was played out and unimaginative... I'm probably worrying more than I should since it's my first time.
timujin

Postby BBadger » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:58 pm

timujin wrote:Earlier in the thread someone was talking about how it was played out and unimaginative... I'm probably worrying more than I should since it's my first time.

The first thing you need to cast aside is caring about the scrutiny people apply to how you appear -- unless that is what you want. Embrace the freedom of that for at least that week.

The above is also part of the reason the shirt-cocker is a douchebag: it's a dude who wants to be naked for his own nudist jollies, but is trying to keep things "sensible" for everybody else even though he knows they all know what is going on down there.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby Savannah » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:03 pm

timujin wrote:
Savannah wrote:I've never heard of wearing a shemagh as a skirt being a negative. Maybe that's a regional thing? :)

Earlier in the thread someone was talking about how it was played out and unimaginative... I'm probably worrying more than I should since it's my first time.

Yes, you are. But that's understandable. For the most part, however, people are very nice out there.

Shemaghs aren't generally meant to be creative. They are practical. Comfort & practicality is what you should satisfy first. Light for day, warm for night.

The dickishness you are most likely to encounter clothes-wise (and it is neither super common, nor extremely rare) is some self-righteous fool with 5 minutes' acquaintance asking you where your costume is. (Never mind whether you've just come off a 12 hour Gate shift, or have been fixing bicycles and mutant vehicles for 6 hours . . . )

If that happens to you, I recommend smilingly telling them it's none of their business, and offering them some cheez-its.

Savannah

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:25 pm

Chicken-in-a-Bisket will not work.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Savannah » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:48 pm

It depends on how mean you're feeling. :D

Savannah

Postby junglesmacks » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:52 pm

Dammit.. now I'm craving Cheez Its.

Have you ever seen the "How It's Made" on the suckers? They put pounds of actual cheese in them.

No, really.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby Savannah » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:37 pm

I like the Hot & Spicy Cheezits with a tablespoon of vegetable cream cheese on a cute little dessert plate, with a glass of shiraz, nom nom nom.

[media]

Savannah

Postby Simon of the Playa » Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:08 am

just sayin'.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Postby timujin » Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:55 pm

Like I wrote, this is my first time and you've been on going for 17 years, Simon. However, I have been doing a lot of reading on websites and here on the forum, watching videos and talking to people I know who have gone before. I know that doesn't substitute in any way for experience, but your narrow definition of what does or does not constitute a Burner seems to be in opposition to the inclusive nature I've heard so much about.
timujin

Postby clocksnmirrors » Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:02 pm

Savannah wrote: . . . Actually, it's kind of a cowardly/sneaky way of being naked* and that's why I personally don't care for it. Just be naked, already. It's more noble to be naked and imperfect than sneaky &/or apologetic in a shirt.* Although--at this point--some folks just do it to get a reaction.

actually i've wondered if sometimes it might just be to provide a bit of extra sun protection but still enjoy a free-wheelin dangle
WEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeee heee heee heeeee! *burp*
clocksnmirrors

Burning Since: 2012

Postby Simon of the Playa » Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:03 pm

timujin wrote:Like I wrote, this is my first time and you've been on going for 17 years, Simon. However, I have been doing a lot of reading on websites and here on the forum, watching videos and talking to people I know who have gone before. I know that doesn't substitute in any way for experience, but your narrow definition of what does or does not constitute a Burner seems to be in opposition to the inclusive nature I've heard so much about.

pfffft.

you actually believe that crap on the Brochure?

wait, don't tell me.....you watched the half-hour informational video, the one where they promised you two free chai lattes at center camp for just watching right?

the whole time share thing....i know....the newbs fall for it every year.

Burning Man is all about Hookers and Blow, so just take whatever hippie manifestations you may have and just fucking burn them...

seriously.

PS......diesel fuel and hallucinogens also come into play too.

pss.....dont forget explosions....and 24/7 techno......and dust, there WILL be dust.

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Postby Roberto Dobbisano » Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:04 pm

and asshole fuckos like simon...

so relax, and lighten up kimosabe.
one nation, under a groove.
Roberto Dobbisano

Postby H.G.Crosby » Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:09 pm

seriously, if you take the eplaya too seriously, i'd hate to see how you're going to handle the actual metaphysical shitstorm known as way the fuck out of your comfort zone...

just sayin...

remember, exactly half of what comes out of anyones mouth out there may or may not be true, just as in real life.

i may or may not be kidding.
Once I noticed I was on fire, I decided to relax and enjoy the fall™
H.G.Crosby

Postby timujin » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:18 pm

Heh, nice. And no, not taking anything seriously in the greater sense of what I'm expecting in regards to people in general, just talking to one person. I mean, hell, a kid born the first year he went could vote in the next election.

The only thing I'm taking seriously is figuring out how to be properly prepared for the physical reality of the Playa in order to ensure I only have to worry about enjoying myself once I get there.
timujin

PreviousNext

Return to Clothing & Playawear