"Re-Scenting" hand me downs

What to wear? What not to wear? Where to find and how to make anything from goggles to fantastic pieces of playawear.

Re: "Re-Scenting" hand me downs

Postby illy dilly » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:11 pm

OK. So we scored a pretty awesome womans almost full length fur coat at the thrift store the other week.
Its in really good shape!
The fur around the top of the collar that sits just below the hair line, isn't yucked up or anything like most of the fust we get. The silk (or silk like material) for the lining isn't discolored at the arm pits AT ALL!
Its a really good find. So far its our longest and largest fur.

But... It smells like Grandma. And not the good fresh baked cookies and cinnamon kind of grandma.
It is synthetic fur. It does say dry clean only. The last fur coat we bought for 15 bucks, cost us $35 to have dry cleaned, and it was only waist length.

I'm thinking a few days out side will help. I'll probably leave it in the sun anyway, since the faded dust look hasn't come out of any of our other Burn-Furs.
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby lucky420 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:43 pm

ewwwww bwahahaha no bear hugs for you illy :lol:
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby illy dilly » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:50 pm

O don't worry, I wont be wearing that Fur. Its sort of a "Fat man in a lil jacket" look when I put it on.
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Postby unjonharley » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:51 pm

lucky420 wrote:ewwwww bwahahaha no bare hugs for you illy :lol:

fixed it for you
unjonharley

Postby lucky420 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:43 pm

Geez thanks unjon. :D
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby illy dilly » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:53 am

I found this article. Seems like it will likely work. Apparently the idea is just soak with detergent, drain, rinse, drain- with no "agitation".
Can't be that difficult right? :?

You will have best results in cleaning faux fur that is short in length or looped. Long-haired furs and shaggy fake fur accessories are very prone to knotting and matting. If you plan to wash them at home, long and shaggy faux fur should be hand washed. With any fur, avoid as much agitation (spinning, wringing) and heat as possible.

To wash faux fur in a washer, use a top load machine. A top load machine allows you to control how much agitation the faux fur receives. Fill the washer to a medium level with cool water. Add a mild, color safe detergent. Place the fake fur garment or throw in the washer. Turn off the water and allow it to soak for 15 minutes. Do not soak longer or you may damage the faux fur's backing fabric.

After 15 minutes, set the washer to drain and spin. Switch to the rinse cycle and allow the washer to fill with cool water. Do not allow the machine to agitate. Drain and spin again. If you feel the garment needs an additional rinse, do so at this time. Again, no agitation!

Do NOT put the garment in a clothes dryer. Use an indoor drying rack or the shower rod to dry. Reposition it often so there are no crush marks on the fur. Use your hand to smooth any areas that don't appear smooth. Keep out of direct sunlight. It may take 24 to 48 hours to dry. Do not wear or use until completely dry.

Remember high heat can melt the faux fur fibers and cause matting. Once this has happened, there is nothing that can reverse the damage.

Well that makes me feel confident :?
illy dilly

Postby Savannah » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:59 am

I would probably gamble on that method for myself. No guarantees! :D

Notice that their caveat refers to high heat (in either the water, or the drying method). And agitation is obviously not recommended.

Basically, you're turning your washer into a cold water cauldron. You could do the same in a big tub in the garage, but using the washer is just easier.
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby illy dilly » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:31 pm

Savannah wrote:Basically, you're turning your washer into a cold water cauldron. You could do the same in a big tub in the garage, but using the washer is just easier.

I know where I'm making my next batch of Jungle Juice.
illy dilly

Previous

Return to Clothing & Playawear