Burning Man Denies Tribal Guests

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place

Re: Burning Man Denies Tribal Guests

Postby oneeyeddick » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:17 pm

Most of the regulars here on Eplaya already have bald spots as it is.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
User avatar
oneeyeddick
 
Posts: 5588
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:08 pm
Location: Probably in your pants
Burning Since: 1996

Re: Burning Man Denies Tribal Guests

Postby Rice » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:27 pm

how did you know??
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."
User avatar
Rice
 
Posts: 1642
Joined: Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:33 pm
Location: Great White North, Saskatchewan, Canada
Burning Since: 2007

Re: Burning Man Denies Tribal Guests

Postby ygmir » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:44 pm

stretch80 wrote:how did you know??

Image
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
User avatar
ygmir
 
Posts: 25984
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:36 pm
Location: nevada county
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Re: Burning Man Denies Tribal Guests

Postby brcprincess » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:44 pm

If the allegations of abuse are true (I've heard complaints about it for years), then BM is well within their rights to suspend or change the program.
User avatar
brcprincess
 
Posts: 162
Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2008 4:41 am

Re: Burning Man Denies Tribal Guests

Postby libertyman » Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:43 am

I have a idea that will fix this problem for ever.

Let's steal gas caps, sell them for $10 and donate the money to the indians so they can buy tickets.
libertyman
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:44 pm

Re: Burning Man Denies Tribal Guests

Postby oneeyeddick » Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:21 pm

that dude is long gone, as well as everyone else who lived in Empire
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
User avatar
oneeyeddick
 
Posts: 5588
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:08 pm
Location: Probably in your pants
Burning Since: 1996

Re: Burning Man Denies Tribal Guests

Postby pinkfirefly » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:24 am

I'm a member of the Pyramid Lake Paiute Tribe and I live in Wadsworth. My children attend Natchez Elementary School. Though I have not attended Burning Man, I do enjoy watching everyone drive through our community :)
I have seen my own Tribal people sell their guest passes for more than what they have paid in the past. As far as I know, last year they had put a stop to that. I wanted to purchase a ticket for myself and my boyfriend who is from a tribe in California. Because he was not my spouse, I couldn't purchase him a ticket. I was told that the only way we were able to get a guest pass, is if were were bringing our spouses in. I don't know how people could have abused the guest "passes", when we were only allowed one for our spouse.
There are ticket "scalpers" (lol) all over outside of Burning Man selling tickets for more than what they had paid. Are they going to be punished, too?
pinkfirefly
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:11 am
Burning Since: 1995

Re: Burning Man Denies Tribal Guests

Postby Nipple » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:26 pm

pinkfirefly wrote:There are ticket "scalpers" (lol) all over outside of Burning Man selling tickets for more than what they had paid. Are they going to be punished, too?


They sometimes are! Last year a bunch of people who were selling tickets online got their tickets invalidated and no refund given.
User avatar
Nipple
 
Posts: 1115
Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:36 pm
Location: Portland, OR
Burning Since: 2017

Re: Burning Man Denies Tribal Guests

Postby Snuffi » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:43 pm

I've never been to burning man, but I grew up in the area. Many of my friends on Facebook have been saying the following:

"We should charge them a toll on the way in, and on the way out"

"we should make it a crime for them to wash their stinky, dirty bodies in our beautiful lake"

"we should cut off their access and make them go around the reservation"

Let me tell you, burners. You don't want to go all the way to Winnemucca to drive out Jungo. They changed that road a long time ago. Your tires will pop and you will be stranded. Only industrial vehicles will make it out that way.

The reason they're so pissed about this post? All of your pathetic racist jokes. The people who run things over there may not go to burning man, but they sure saw this post.

D1cks.
Snuffi
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:25 pm
Burning Since: I'm not sure

Re: Burning Man Denies Tribal Guests

Postby GreyCoyote » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:57 pm

Snuffi wrote:"We should charge them a toll on the way in, and on the way out"
"we should make it a crime for them to wash their stinky, dirty bodies in our beautiful lake"
"we should cut off their access and make them go around the reservation"

D1cks.


If you think this approach is justified, then do it. You'll need some good lawyers to buy-off the local governments, get an ordinance passed, establish legal authority to privatize a few public roads, and then you can make it all happen. Once you've collected (lets say) $5 for (lets say) 25,000 vehicles, you can then spend that 125K to pay the same set of lawyers to defend the post-burn legal challenges. Of course $125K is unlikely to cover even the retainer. Maybe you'll even win and the law of the land will be changed because of your efforts. And then maybe someone new will privatize your reservation roads, install toll booths, and turn your tactics against you all year long.

If you really want Burning Man to leave the Black Rock desert, then stand-up and be counted. Stop bitching and JUST DO IT. We call it "self-reliance". Put your name on a petition, get the signatures, and go lobby the BLM. They can turn this event off with the stroke of a pen. And when they do, you can explain what happened to all of the derivative money that used to filter down to the locals. I have no doubt you will be a local celebrity when your neighbors realize what a "service" you have done for them.

I for one would be happy to relocate TTITD. I think its way past time. There are too many legal panhandlers getting their palms greased and it gets worse every year. And it is never enough. The locals and "authorities" are always wanting and demanding more. More cops. More permits. More restrictions. More "donations" to local "charities" and "worthy causes". Speaking for myself, I AM TIRED OF IT. Burn it all down. Start over. "The Year Of The Phoenix"

I would remind you that Burning Man isn't Disneyland. We are basically a flash-mob of 50K people who appear and then disappear a week later. By definition we are portable. So be careful what you wish for. Some day we Burners may pack-up our event and "leave no trace". When we do, the locals will be free to ponder the ramifications for the rest of eternity and debate the wisdom of your actions.
"Give me an underground laboratory, a half a dozen atom smashers, and a beautiful girl in a diaphanous veil waiting to be turned into a chimpanzee, and I care NOT who writes this nations laws"!
User avatar
GreyCoyote
 
Posts: 712
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:24 am
Burning Since: 2000

Re: Burning Man Denies Tribal Guests

Postby knowmad » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:10 pm

pinkfirefly wrote:I'm a member of the Pyramid Lake Paiute Tribe and I live in Wadsworth. My children attend Natchez Elementary School. Though I have not attended Burning Man, I do enjoy watching everyone drive through our community :)
I have seen my own Tribal people sell their guest passes for more than what they have paid in the past. As far as I know, last year they had put a stop to that. I wanted to purchase a ticket for myself and my boyfriend who is from a tribe in California. Because he was not my spouse, I couldn't purchase him a ticket. I was told that the only way we were able to get a guest pass, is if were were bringing our spouses in. I don't know how people could have abused the guest "passes", when we were only allowed one for our spouse.
There are ticket "scalpers" (lol) all over outside of Burning Man selling tickets for more than what they had paid. Are they going to be punished, too?


I had a ticket mixup. and was trying to find a ticket at the gate one year, a member of the Pyramid Lake Paiute Tribe asked me If I wanted to buy his @ 50% above highest tier. I told him about as politely as I could that his atemp to deceive BMOR and profit from my need was was as low of a move as a bump on the playa. the term abuse and lose it applys. you can thank your tribal brother for having those doors closed.
Nipple wrote:
pinkfirefly wrote:There are ticket "scalpers" (lol) all over outside of Burning Man selling tickets for more than what they had paid. Are they going to be punished, too?


They sometimes are! Last year a bunch of people who were selling tickets online got their tickets invalidated and no refund given.

and the very same self appointed Anti-scalping crew that successfully gummed the works of a major Scalper to the point that they lost 10K's of dollars will be back at it again. a very sure fire way to get fucked by burners is to fuck with burners.
............................................Image...........................................
Oh yeah, this year I was totally twerping out at the fence. ~Lonesombri
User avatar
knowmad
 
Posts: 3304
Joined: Fri Dec 25, 2009 11:33 pm
Location: Puget Sound
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: 09-11 Specialist Clan
12 BWS BDV/DPB

Re: Burning Man Denies Tribal Guests

Postby Sham » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:02 pm

[media]
User avatar
Sham
Moderator
 
Posts: 6266
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:10 am
Location: The hidden mythical place.....

Re: Burning Man Denies Tribal Guests

Postby knowmad » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:05 pm

I'd laugh but it woodent be right
one of my faves. Sham. :P
fit's the fake Indian dancing too! win,win!
............................................Image...........................................
Oh yeah, this year I was totally twerping out at the fence. ~Lonesombri
User avatar
knowmad
 
Posts: 3304
Joined: Fri Dec 25, 2009 11:33 pm
Location: Puget Sound
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: 09-11 Specialist Clan
12 BWS BDV/DPB

Re: Burning Man Denies Tribal Guests

Postby Snuffi » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:26 pm

I think it really upset everyone when the racial jokes started to fly.

I think people were generally under the impression that burning man was all about tolerance, respect and love.

When I see the sort of racist talk that was at the beginning of this thread, it disappoints me. It reaffirms what many of my burner friends have said in the past few years. "it's not the same" "it's all business now" "there are more and more douchebags every year". Well, maybe you SHOULD pay a douchebag tax when you're disrupting a community by trafficking 60,000 people through their back yards. Maybe you SHOULD pay for more cops to protect everyone during this massive entrance and exodus. Maybe you SHOULD give to a few charitable organizations in a small community where they are assisting you to make Millions of dollars in profits.

Maybe you should pay a douchebag tax to every ndn who refrains from smacking every pretendian in their headdresses and war paint and plastic beaded feather headbands.
Snuffi
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:25 pm
Burning Since: I'm not sure

Re: Burning Man Denies Tribal Guests

Postby Ugly Dougly » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:28 pm

Damn, you wouldn't be whining if you'd have thought of Burning Man first.

Instead you give the world tobacco and casinos. Thanks for the good medicine. :coffee:
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
User avatar
Ugly Dougly
 
Posts: 16312
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2003 9:31 am
Location: San Jose, CA
Burning Since: 1996

Re: Burning Man Denies Tribal Guests

Postby Snuffi » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:35 pm

Thank you, sir, you have proven my point.
Snuffi
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:25 pm
Burning Since: I'm not sure

Re: Burning Man Denies Tribal Guests

Postby knowmad » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:52 am

Snuffi wrote:I think it really upset everyone when the racial jokes started to fly.

I think people were generally under the impression that burning man was all about tolerance, respect and love.

When I see the sort of racist talk that was at the beginning of this thread, it disappoints me. It reaffirms what many of my burner friends have said in the past few years. "it's not the same" "it's all business now" "there are more and more douchebags every year". Well, maybe you SHOULD pay a douchebag tax when you're disrupting a community by trafficking 60,000 people through their back yards. Maybe you SHOULD pay for more cops to protect everyone during this massive entrance and exodus. Maybe you SHOULD give to a few charitable organizations in a small community where they are assisting you to make Millions of dollars in profits.

Maybe you should pay a douchebag tax to every ndn who refrains from smacking every pretendian in their headdresses and war paint and plastic beaded feather headbands.

So Where do I fit in? If you spent a few moments around here looking into other threads instead of the one that you are most concerned about you would find a thread that addresses; how we care for our own that are unable to care for theirs. How we find resources for those in need, how we comfort each other when we lose a loved one. you would lear about the Sollar pannels powering your school that were funded in part by Black rock city Solar a burner orginisation. you would also find that we have members of every creed and color. You'd also learn that there are real people behind all these people talking in front of you, and the concerns of being preyed upon by outside pandering, demanding agencies and profiteers are quite real. you'd learn that we, just like you have concerns about radical entitlement within the ranks.

If a person one day walked up to your door and and handed you a hundred dollar bill and turned around and walked away, what would your reaction be? If the very next day at exactly the same time of day the same person knocked and handed you another Benni? Perhaps by the fifth or sixth day in a row you would be offering them food or snacks as they showed up, you'd ask their names and express gratitude and you might even rearrange your day to day plans so as not to miss their timely visit. and then one day they don't come? what would you think? would you worry about their well being? would you be expectant the next day?

Again I Tell you I Was offered a Ticket By a tribal member in 2011. The system was abused and the privilege has been revoked. those are facts. not everyone here is some honkey American Joe who is screwing over your tribe. I myself am Native and our Reservation in Nebraska (Prairie Band Potawatomi) are even sadder than yours. If we were lucky enough to have any event along our highway we'd be more than happy. I feel the same pain, have the same cousins and half brothers lost to every sadness that plagues Indian country that you might have. but I don't have pity for someone who can't let go of what they never had, who's reaction to loss is anger. As far as the accusations of racism and intolerance, I have been posting on here for 4 yrs and burning for five and yes there are negative bigots, but being a two spirited, adopted, half-breed who returned to the Rez the harshest bigotry I've experienced has been at intertribals, powwows, and online. Almost always from someone who uses the term NDN.
............................................Image...........................................
Oh yeah, this year I was totally twerping out at the fence. ~Lonesombri
User avatar
knowmad
 
Posts: 3304
Joined: Fri Dec 25, 2009 11:33 pm
Location: Puget Sound
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: 09-11 Specialist Clan
12 BWS BDV/DPB

Re: Burning Man Denies Tribal Guests

Postby Simon of the Playa » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:50 am

all of you are wrong....According to Joseph Smith this land once belonged to the Lost Tribe of Judah.

I claim the Desert and all of the surrounding area as the land of the Hymie.

deal with it, Fuck-Heads.
breathe deep, the playa is the dust of your ancestors

A gift for the Playa
User avatar
Simon of the Playa
 
Posts: 13851
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:25 pm
Location: Rochester, Nevada.
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Re: Burning Man Denies Tribal Guests

Postby ygmir » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:29 am

Simon of the Playa wrote:all of you are wrong....According to Joseph Smith this land once belonged to the Lost Tribe of Judah.

I claim the Desert and all of the surrounding area as the land of the Hymie.

deal with it, Fuck-Heads.


would that make your band of brother "Hymen"?
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
User avatar
ygmir
 
Posts: 25984
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:36 pm
Location: nevada county
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Re: Burning Man Denies Tribal Guests

Postby Snuffi » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:39 am

I just happened across this thread while on Facebook. Just thought I'd let all of the good people who go to burning man know what the feelings are. It's not about the guest tickets. It's about spreading hate, which is what I saw when I saw the comments.

Maybe when you encounter blatant bigotry in your online community, you could try to stand against it.

I am not native. I'm from a community close to the black rock. Most burners I've met have been really sweet people. Sure most of them would be embarrassed by this thread. I chose to say ndn because that's what my husband (who is ndn) prefers to be referred by.

Good luck to you
Snuffi
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:25 pm
Burning Since: I'm not sure

Re: Burning Man Denies Tribal Guests

Postby BBadger » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:03 am

Blatant bigotry? Care to point out where? I'm guessing that you're referring to the bad Seinfeld-esque "Indian" jokes. Just FYI: just because something isn't politically correct doesn't mean it implies bigotry. I'd actually be more wary of the person who is too politically correct, as it is usually insincere and deceptive.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
User avatar
BBadger
 
Posts: 3962
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:37 am
Location: (near) Portland, OR, USA
Burning Since: I'm not sure

Re: Burning Man Denies Tribal Guests

Postby ACfromSAC » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:03 am

Dr. Pyro wrote:
theCryptofishist wrote: I picked up somewhere that a lot of those were scalped.


Talk about your typical Indians.



LOL'd! Well played.
User avatar
ACfromSAC
 
Posts: 93
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:14 pm
Burning Since: 2017

Re: Burning Man Denies Tribal Guests

Postby ygmir » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:30 am

BBadger wrote:Blatant bigotry? Care to point out where? I'm guessing that you're referring to the bad Seinfeld-esque "Indian" jokes. Just FYI: just because something isn't politically correct doesn't mean it implies bigotry. I'd actually be more wary of the person who is too politically correct, as it is usually insincere and deceptive.


well said.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
User avatar
ygmir
 
Posts: 25984
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:36 pm
Location: nevada county
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Re: Burning Man Denies Tribal Guests

Postby FIGJAM » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:42 am

We're all pretty sweet. (ecxcept BBadger, he's more savory)

We just don't care too much about political correctness cause most of it is bullshit.

UGH! 8)
Last edited by FIGJAM on Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
User avatar
FIGJAM
 
Posts: 7072
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:39 am
Location: apache junction az.

Re: Burning Man Denies Tribal Guests

Postby junglesmacks » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:43 am

FIGJAM wrote:We're all pretty sweet. (ecxcept BBadger, he's more savory)




:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:



Badg.. I think you may have just been gifted a new sig line..
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
User avatar
junglesmacks
 
Posts: 5809
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 9:54 pm
Location: Orlando, FL/Kailua, HI
Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Re: Burning Man Denies Tribal Guests

Postby H.G.Crosby » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:55 am

proof.





[media]
Once I noticed I was on fire, I decided to relax and enjoy the fall™
User avatar
H.G.Crosby
 
Posts: 1669
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2009 4:47 pm
Location: Boston, New York, Paris, Tangiers

Re: Burning Man Denies Tribal Guests

Postby BBadger » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:47 pm

junglesmacks wrote:
FIGJAM wrote:We're all pretty sweet. (ecxcept BBadger, he's more savory)


:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Badg.. I think you may have just been gifted a new sig line..


That is a nice quote ;)
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
User avatar
BBadger
 
Posts: 3962
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:37 am
Location: (near) Portland, OR, USA
Burning Since: I'm not sure

Re: Burning Man Denies Tribal Guests

Postby knowmad » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:24 pm

Snuffi wrote:I just happened across this thread while on Facebook. Just thought I'd let all of the good people who go to burning man know what the feelings are. It's not about the guest tickets. It's about spreading hate, which is what I saw when I saw the comments.

Maybe when you encounter blatant bigotry in your online community, you could try to stand against it.

I am not native. I'm from a community close to the black rock. Most burners I've met have been really sweet people. Sure most of them would be embarrassed by this thread. I chose to say ndn because that's what my husband (who is ndn) prefers to be referred by.

Good luck to you

So you heard about a year old thread while on FB then thought Gee I'll just hop over to Eplay with no Idea whats going on, Lambaste everyone and say a bunch of shit all the while maintaining a Superior moral attitude while condemning the people living there. all in hopes of Shamming them for having a form of twisted Irony but patronizing them for their Mostly sweetness. You know what You are A cargo Cultist. You have no idea how we work, You want to have all the illusions of being a Burner and the Ultimate Politically correct liturgy to be preformed all to the sounds of Beats Antique or some other Goa-Fake Indian based shite! (another community you can co-opt because yer like a Buddhist right? you ar aware that India is mostly Hindu right though) You are like Christopher Columbus Lost as all hell, arrogant as fuck and assuming rights by Proximity. The thread you are looking for is (the one some over sensitive shitbag started mooning about on FB) is over here and is entitled Fake Indian Dancing. be sure to bring plenty of Yogi tea and have your Bindi properly attached and Chakras aligned before you try to smack the feathers off anyone's head.
Namaste Mother fucker!
............................................Image...........................................
Oh yeah, this year I was totally twerping out at the fence. ~Lonesombri
User avatar
knowmad
 
Posts: 3304
Joined: Fri Dec 25, 2009 11:33 pm
Location: Puget Sound
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: 09-11 Specialist Clan
12 BWS BDV/DPB

Re: Burning Man Denies Tribal Guests

Postby BBadger » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:04 pm

Day-um, knowmad laid that shit out!
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
User avatar
BBadger
 
Posts: 3962
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:37 am
Location: (near) Portland, OR, USA
Burning Since: I'm not sure

Re: Burning Man Denies Tribal Guests

Postby junglesmacks » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:08 pm

Image


..and he even ties in the annual theme for extra points. Lord have mercy!
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
User avatar
junglesmacks
 
Posts: 5809
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 9:54 pm
Location: Orlando, FL/Kailua, HI
Camp Name: Your mom's tent

PreviousNext

Return to 2012 Tickets Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests