Speakers for MV

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and mutant vehicles - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues. For ride and RV shares, please go to Share Resources.

Speakers for MV

Postby Crisco Disco » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:38 pm

Gang,

When using powered speakers on the playa, and I see them all the time, are they likely to heat up to an extent that they quit? Are they a good idea? Currently looking at Mackie T15 Thumps. Anyone with experience using these?
Crisco Disco

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Crisco Disco

Re: Speakers for MV

Postby Captain Goddammit » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:20 am

I haven't used that particular model but on my MV I use a powered sub and haven't had heat issues.
I put the whole thing in a plastic garbage bag with the seams taped shut (actually two or three) to protect it from the dust though.
"Whaoomph! Whaomph! Burbbleburbblepattpattpattpatt... WHAAAAAaaoooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa........!!!"
Top fuel dragster, by Elliot Naess
Captain Goddammit

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp I'm going to Hawaii Instead

Postby BBadger » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:29 am

I'd worry more about them overheating from overdriving them than any environmental conditions. It's not hard to shade the speakers and keep the drivers well ventilated.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby smittydc » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:46 pm

I've seen a lot of mackie tops overheating in the daytime- even not in direct sunlight - requiring fans and other cooling mechanisms. Newer models might be more durable, however.
smittydc

Burning Since: 1998

Postby trilobyte » Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:28 pm

I'm giving this a nudge over to the Transportation board, since that's a better fit for general questions and problem-solving. The year-specific MV board is more for announcing and discussing fully formed projects that are coming to the desert that year.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby lemur » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:21 pm

Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby trilobyte » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:23 am

Oops, it just occurred to me that I didn't answer the question..d'oh! I've not used that specific model, but I've used other Mackie powered gear a lot on the playa, it can work really well. The key (and this is true for any kind of active/powered speaker) is to try and keep it sheltered from the elements. They'll get hot on their own just from several hours of constant use, and then during the daytime you'll be well past the ideal operating temps. In direct sunlight, heat will be a problem. If the design of your vehicle can be such that it keeps the speakers from getting hit with direct sunlight, you'll be in great shape. I'd also recommend finding some cool fabric that you like that doesn't absorb much sound and make speaker covers. That'll help you limit exposure to dust, and also give you the chance to do something fun with your speakers.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Return to Transportation