What foods are best for the playa????

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

Re: What foods are best for the playa????

Postby FIGJAM » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:46 pm

You'll be glad you have all that extra food when the freak rain storm hits on saturday and we can't move for three weeks! 8)
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby 9ah » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:04 pm

Savannah wrote:Having to haul most of your food home is a proud Burner tradition. Between the food I ate on shift, and the Meet & Greet, a box of coconut water thrown at me as a gift, and the largesse of my friends Motz and Lydia, plus my usual overpacking, I ate perhaps 25% of my food this year; a new low. Usually I eat 30-40% of it. Same with the beverages. Why do I bring so many beverages? Oh, well. It's fun to be able to offer a selection.

I have two cans of Underwood devilled chicken in my filing cabinet at work right now, as well as some vacuum-sealed Indian food from Trader Joe's (those are good in tortillas). I spend September through April of every year slowly incorporating my Burn food into real life. :lol: This is why I don't buy "camping" food, per se. Just preserved food that I'll actually eat.

Very true! I live on the east coast, but I know the mixers/booze/food that is unopened gets consumed at later times by folks in our camp. I went to the house for a nap after leaving the playa and the kitchen island was full of dusty snacking options.

I keep it simple with Ravioli as a staple item. I like mandarin oranges so I grab some of those fruit cups. Crackers, trail mix, bacon and pickles are other staple items... Dry cereal (cinnamon toast crunch) is great all times of day.
Illuminate. Navigate. Celebrate.
What would you do if you knew you couldn't fail?
9ah

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: Lamplighters

Postby Foxfur » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:14 am

I bring canned foods. When done I'll leave them out in the sun to bake the goop dry so they don't stink up the trash bag.
This year I'm building a secure drying tray using a cat litter box with steel mesh screen on top so I can dry apple cores, orange peels, and unconsumed whale blubber.
He's a mystery wrapped in a riddle, inside an enigma, painted in hot pants. - Savannah
Propane ToysImage
How to do it wrong:
Foxfur

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: 404 Village Not Found

Postby Dr. Pyro » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:43 am

I take all my trash and every morning dump it out at the trash fence. Uh, that is what it's there for, right? Why else would they call it a trash fence ferchrissakes.
Dr. Pyro

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby illy dilly » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:58 pm

Savannah wrote:(Tortellini evaporates, right?)

junglesmacks wrote:..and yes, under some circumstances tortellini has been shown to actually work wonders in an evap pond! Soaks the junk riiiight up..

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby BBadger » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:19 pm

Foxfur wrote:I bring canned foods. When done I'll leave them out in the sun to bake the goop dry so they don't stink up the trash bag.

After I finish eating the cat food in the tin cans, I flip the sharp, jagged lid upwards and cover the top of my rebar guylines with them to discourage through-traffic.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby Foxfur » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:26 pm

You just gave me an idea for the best Chex mix EVAR!
Along with Chex, pretzels, and peanuts, I'll throw some dry kibble in there before tossing with coating.
It's gonna be a hit at playa bars this year...
He's a mystery wrapped in a riddle, inside an enigma, painted in hot pants. - Savannah
Propane ToysImage
How to do it wrong:
Foxfur

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: 404 Village Not Found

Postby FIGJAM » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:11 pm

Will it keep my coat shiney?
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby mgb327 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:22 am

FIGJAM wrote:Will it keep my coat shiney?

Yes, and it will help you keep a healthy urinary tract. Better than a simple diet of mice alone.
Dogs are the leaders of the planet. If you see two life forms, one of them’s making a poop, the other one’s carrying it for him, who would you assume is in charge?
" I am a controlled substance". Savannah.
mgb327

Postby ohCarie » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:09 pm

Yeah, ditto about the protein. I found that dipping club crackers into a dip of tuna, olive oil mayo, and sweet pickle relish was a go-to daily. I also made a carb-free cheesecake/pudding one year, cream cheese & lemon sugarfree jello. It really hit the spot even though I wasn't dieting. It's tangy and not too sweet. A couple spoons full was soo gooood. Grab and go yumminess.
"It's not that I'm so old, it's that I'm so drunk." -Felony
ohCarie

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: BDC

Postby junglesmacks » Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:22 am

Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby Weebdog » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:02 pm

Foxfur - instead of a kitty litter box, try a burlap bag. Hang it up and put your peels and cores in it. It works like a dehydrator and when you are ready to leave, throw the whole bag into a burn barrel. Works great.
Weebdog

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Camp Burnout

Postby Earthwalker » Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:40 pm

One should also bear in mind that, if you think canned tuna is one label away from cat food, that perception won't be magically removedby Playa dust. In other words, bring foods you like to eat at home, that are also durable and easy to prepare. I will not be bringing food that requires refrigeration. Its camping; remember that
Please forgive me...this cubicle has stolen portions of my mind and my soul
Earthwalker

Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Trifucta

Postby BBadger » Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:31 am

Simple rules: bring foods your want to eat, and are willing to prepare. There is some NICE food out there that people make. It all depends on the effort you want to put into it.

Ramen for 7 days? Go for it.

Eggs, bacon, toast? No prob, just make sure you have the coolers for it.

Fresh fruit? Great stuff, just eat it before it spoils.

Not hard to figure out.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby illy dilly » Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:30 pm

BBadger wrote:Not hard to figure out.

Nope.
Precooked brats are our go to. They last very well in a cooler because they are prepackaged air tight, and only require 'heating' not cooking. Mustard, ketchup, and pickle relish don't have to be refrigerated. We cook off a whole package of 6 brats each time. That way we're not putting the bag and possible contamination back into the cooler. Which means, we end up gifting brats constantly.
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Previous

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks