Rigger want to help

Rigger want to help

Postby arsenik101 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:41 pm

Hello folks!
This is going to be my first burning man and I'm travalling alone.
I'm a rigger from montreal (Canada) I'm looking for people who needs help in acrobatic rigging, static rigging or tent installation.
I got alot of experience, I work with the cirque du soleil, International of jazz of montreal and many more.
I also have experience in lighting and carpenting!

See you guys on the playa!!! =)
arsenik101

Burning Since: 2013

Re: Rigger want to help

Postby jkisha » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:16 pm

Hey there, welcome to eplaya!
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby gyre » Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:13 am

Center Cafe is one place and you could try the DPW too.
gyre

Postby Rice » Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:46 pm

arsenik101 wrote:Hello folks!
This is going to be my first burning man and I'm travalling alone.
I'm a rigger from montreal (Canada) I'm looking for people who needs help in acrobatic rigging, static rigging or tent installation.
I got alot of experience, I work with the cirque du soleil, International of jazz of montreal and many more.
I also have experience in lighting and carpenting!

See you guys on the playa!!! =)

Hi, Welcome to ePlaya!

This being your first year, you will probably find the whole experience a tad overwhelming :) It might be a good idea to just plan to experience your first burn and take things as they come (the desert is a funky place and can beat the crap out of you...)

There is a Burning Man Regional rep in Montreal: http://regionals.burningman.com/ca_que_mon.html It is always a good idea to get in touch with local burners -- for ideas, suggestions, perhaps your first trip to Burning Man will not be solo. (Local burners can give you a better idea of what you are getting into, advice, and it is always cool to hang with like-minded people ;))

You have a very cool skill-set!! If you really want to contribute with your skills I can think of two possible ways of getting your name out there. Check the theme camp listing (once it is updated for 2013) and see if any of the theme camps look like they could use your skills & contact them directly. The 2nd option is to Volunteer through the Burning Man website (http://www.burningman.com/participate/). - [If you sign up for something, please show up - flaking is frowned upon.] Again, this being your first burn you might not want to commit yourself to anything until you know how you are doing on-playa... Many people just pitch in when they see someone needs help (on-playa). I always carry gloves & when I see someone in a camp who needs help I ask & get-er-done.

BTW, I am Rice - from Saskatoon, SK. There is a decent Canadian representation at Burning Man.

perhaps I'll see ya on the playa

TTFN.,
Rice
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."
Rice

Postby gyre » Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:54 pm

For what you have in mind, you could work before the opening and slack off then.
The big cafe tent has to be done early, like some other things.
gyre

Postby Rice » Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:56 pm

gyre wrote:For what you have in mind, you could work before the opening and slack off then.
The big cafe tent has to be done early, like some other things.

Most of the BM crews that go in early use experienced burners who have proven themselves in previous years. It is unusual for virgin burners to be invited on a work crew with early entry. (not impossible, but unlikely). I know that Gate prefers that its volunteers have at least one full burn under their belt...
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."
Rice

Postby gyre » Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:03 pm

It happens though, especially if you can prove a specific skill set.

And it isn't always wise to exclude new people.
Some people burn out no matter what.
One department lost me when they wouldn't take me my first year.
It would have been perfect for a first year, even with a lot of hours involved.

I still can't answer why anyone would want to volunteer.
They shouldn't bring that up on the surveys.

If you don't get in early, volunteer at the end, if you're able.
That's when they are always short of people, almost everywhere.
Cafe tent has to come down too.
gyre

Postby some seeing eye » Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:15 pm

I did not go last year. But if you get in touch with the Lucent Dossier production unit in LA they may know people bringing aerial in 2013. There are also body suspension camps. Maybe readers could PM you with camp suggestions for tents, aerial and cabled art projects. You also might email the Artery (see the main BM website) and see if they have a skills match database. Good luck!
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion
some seeing eye

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Postby Rice » Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:18 pm

Here is the link to the main Burning Man Volunteer Questionare: http://www2.burningman.com/people/

This is how I got involved in Gate...
Love Rice

Rice

Postby Savannah » Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:51 pm

Hi Arsenik! :D

Rice gave you great advice. When you have such useful and specialized skills, it might be best to get involved with locals in Montreal so you can show them what you can do and get involved pre-playa.

If you have a personal as well as professional interest in tying things up, you might also like to visit Suspended Animation camp on the playa, or get in touch with them beforehand.

Suspended Animation is dedicated to the kinetic art of full-suspension rope bondage. The heart of our camp is our 1600 square foot performance space, professionally rigged with heavy-duty trussing capable of supporting multiple simultaneous suspensions.

Our expert crew presents dramatic performances showcasing multiple styles of this beautiful and technically demanding art.

Subject matter may not be safe for work.
http://suspendedanimationcrew.com/
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby arsenik101 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:05 pm

Wow! thanks alot! I will check it out! =)
arsenik101

Postby arsenik101 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:04 am

If you hear about a nice them camp and they need people to help, let me know! :D
arsenik101

Postby TomServo » Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:54 am

DPW!

You will be broken in quite harshly, but it will be worth every second!
anything worth doing..is worth overdoing

Vor Gebrauch Sprengkapsel einsetzen
TomServo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:49 pm

Speaking of breaking in harshly... Should I contact the OP if I find a nice us camp?
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby dragonpilot » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:14 am

arsenik101 wrote:If you hear about a nice them camp and they need people to help, let me know! :D

My idea of a nice theme camp might not be another's idea of a nice theme camp...they vary hugely in theme (duh), organization, cost, work ethic, size, amenities...

If one wants to join a camp, one needs to do the work researching, contacting, collaborating...and so on. Rarely will anyone who is organizing a camp contact new participants...gotta put oneself out there.
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.
dragonpilot

Burning Since: 2005

Return to Introduce Yourself!