Tires

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and mutant vehicles - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues. For ride and RV shares, please go to Share Resources.

Tires

Postby renojeff » Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:05 am

I've noticed many MV have exposed tires. I take it the DMV doesn't care about covering them up for esthetic purposes?
renojeff

Burning Since: 2001

Re: Tires

Postby lemur » Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:09 am

vehicles (usually) need tires to get around.. just being able to see wheels isnt a big problem with DMV, mutation of the vehicle is their thing

though i bet your stuff would look better (unless it doesnt) with the wheels covered by cool artsy shit
Last edited by lemur on Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby TomServo » Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:10 am

Normally, not.
anything worth doing..is worth overdoing

Vor Gebrauch Sprengkapsel einsetzen
TomServo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby ygmir » Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:31 pm

when I made my "Tongue Rider" they asked me to put skirting to cover the wheels, if at all possible.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby Rice » Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:22 pm

renojeff wrote:I've noticed many MV have exposed tires. I take it the DMV doesn't care about covering them up for esthetic purposes?

It is always nice to cover the tires for asthetic reasons... If they pose a danger to anyone getting on/off/riding the art car - I am pretty sure they would insist on them being covered.

Perhaps one could contact the DMV to clarify? http://www.burningman.com/on_the_playa/playa_vehicles/dmv.html (the contact link is on the linked page)
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."
Rice

Burning Since: 2007

Postby smittydc » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:48 pm

The guiding principal is that your MV shouldn't look like the original base vehicle. If covering the wheels helps it look more like whatever it's supposed to be (cow, head, couch, etc), then that's preferable.
smittydc

Burning Since: 1998

Postby trilobyte » Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:27 pm

I'm giving this a nudge over to the Transportation board, since that's a better fit for general questions and problem-solving. The year-specific MV board is more for announcing and discussing fully formed projects that are coming to the desert that year.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby Captain Goddammit » Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:36 pm

It's not a specific requirement but it's one more thing that helps. Look at some of the all-time great M/Vs like Flash & Tom Kennedy's Whale, the La Contessa, or the Catbus. If it's something that isn't supposed to have wheels, it's so much more magic if it doesn't appear to have them.
"Whaoomph! Whaomph! Burbbleburbblepattpattpattpatt... WHAAAAAaaoooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa........!!!"
Top fuel dragster, by Elliot Naess
Captain Goddammit

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp I'm going to Hawaii Instead

Return to Transportation