Los Angeles(surrounding areas) Travel & Camp Mates

Los Angeles(surrounding areas) Travel & Camp Mates

Postby OMGMYUSERNAMESINUSE » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:06 pm

Hello L.A. Burners! Virgin here :) I'm Tiana! I'm a 30 y/o, female in the SF Valley(Valley Glen/North Hollywood area). I have purchased my ticket but will be going alone due to friends having no interest in going..

So, I want to find travel & camp mates. And I'm hoping to share gas costs. I'm willing to take my car or your car... either way we can share gas costs & driving shifts. I'm hoping to stay the whole week on the playa. In addition, I hope to travel with two other people & I prefer that one of them be an experienced burner. It would be nice to get to know each other a little bit first, to lessen the chances of having a nightmarish travel/camping experience (but on the other hand we'll be at Burning Man so how bad could it be? :wink:).
OMGMYUSERNAMESINUSE

Burning Since: 2013

Re: Los Angeles(surrounding areas) Travel & Camp Mates

Postby 9ah » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:43 am

Deja vu? I feel like you posted this same exact thing a few days ago... As mentioned before, get to know folks on the regional group as well as posting via rideshare once folks start nailing down exact travel dates.

:coffee:
Illuminate. Navigate. Celebrate.
What would you do if you knew you couldn't fail?
9ah

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: Lamplighters

Postby Earthwalker » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:01 am

Pre-registration is closed, but one option is to go to Bequionox in Joshua Tree. I'm sure you'd meet people there since it's LA based. Otherwise, if you're just looking for rideshare, and not a registered theme camp to join, then as she said, that stuff will likely start floating around the board later in the summer. Good luck
Please forgive me...this cubicle has stolen portions of my mind and my soul
Earthwalker

Camp Name: Trifucta

Postby Savannah » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:16 am

9ah wrote:Deja vu? I feel like you posted this same exact thing a few days ago... As mentioned before, get to know folks on the regional group as well as posting via rideshare once folks start nailing down exact travel dates.

You're absolutely right, she did make a similar post and this is to be discouraged. However, since this post is longer and everyone deserves a series of proper greetings if they want one, I'm wickedly going to let it slide this time. Naughty, bad, wicked Zoot!

Hello again, Tiana!

If you have an ordinary sedan-sized car, I highly recommend only one other passenger, tops. Two people will easily stuff a sedan, especially once you add water for two. (I managed it one year, but only because we didn't have a shade structure--we had arranged to share one with someone else once we arrived.)

If you have a van or large SUV, you might be able to fit stuff for three.
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby Earthwalker » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:13 am

How does a sedan (accord, camry, malibu, whatever) hold up out there? I'm planning on rolling with bro in his minivan, but if he gets all crazy and bails, could I roll out in the Accord (look, I needed a car, it gets good gas mileage...leave me alone)?

Not trying to hijack thread, but seems to apply to OP as well.

Grassy-ass
Please forgive me...this cubicle has stolen portions of my mind and my soul
Earthwalker

Camp Name: Trifucta

Postby Rice » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:38 am

Savannah wrote:
9ah wrote:Deja vu? I feel like you posted this same exact thing a few days ago... As mentioned before, get to know folks on the regional group as well as posting via rideshare once folks start nailing down exact travel dates.

You're absolutely right, she did make a similar post and this is to be discouraged. However, since this post is longer and everyone deserves a series of proper greetings if they want one, I'm wickedly going to let it slide this time. Naughty, bad, wicked Zoot!

Hello again, Tiana!

If you have an ordinary sedan-sized car, I highly recommend only one other passenger, tops. Two people will easily stuff a sedan, especially once you add water for two. (I managed it one year, but only because we didn't have a shade structure--we had arranged to share one with someone else once we arrived.)

For my first two burns I had a 4-door Honda Civic. Two of us drove down from Saskatoon, SK Canada... I had a bike rack on the back for our bikes, the trunk was totally stuffed (every nook and cranny), and the back seat was loaded up to above the head rests. When we stopped to get our food, water & booze the back was completely full up to the roof and my passenger had to sit among water jugs and bags of food... it was a lot crowded the last 3 hours of driving!!!

What I have learned is use the largest vehicle you can find. If you are travelling across the mountains, get most of your water/supplies as close to BRC as possible (ie: either Reno or Fernley & do not expect the store in Empire to have that critical whatever, because they get a lot of visitors...)
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."
Rice

Burning Since: 2007

Postby Savannah » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:47 am

Earthwalker wrote:How does a sedan (accord, camry, malibu, whatever) hold up out there? I'm planning on rolling with bro in his minivan, but if he gets all crazy and bails, could I roll out in the Accord (look, I needed a car, it gets good gas mileage...leave me alone)?

Not trying to hijack thread, but seems to apply to OP as well.

Grassy-ass

Yes, an Accord in roadtrip condition will do fine. It's really a space concern. One person in a sedan will usually work well--but it is a challenge (not impossible, just stuffed) with two people and their supplies.

There is some uneven ground when you get off of the two lane highway and onto the playa for the first mile or so, so be careful not to knock the underside if your car naturally sits lower than average . . . I don't hear that about Accords specifically, but it's definitely going to sit lower than usual with all that stuff in it. :lol:

Savannah

Postby OMGMYUSERNAMESINUSE » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:54 pm

Savannah wrote:

Hello again, Tiana!

I was completely unaware multiple posts aren't allowed. Before I made this second post I tried deleting the first one, thinking the "introductions" would be a better category. However, I was unable to delete the first one due to the option being unavailable.

And yes @9ah you & a few others mentioned the regionals before & that has been duly noted. I will be sure to do that. Maybe I will find the right people in the regionals group, maybe I will come across the right people in the rideshare listings or maybe I would have found the right people here. My thinking was not ALL people will be searching the same places. Some people might be searching Craigslist or the BM Facebook page. Who knows?... I'm open to all options available. Thank you all for the suggestions :)
Last edited by OMGMYUSERNAMESINUSE on Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OMGMYUSERNAMESINUSE

Postby Savannah » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:13 pm

I was completely unaware multiple posts aren't allowed. Before I made this second post I tried deleting the first one, thinking the "introductions" would be a better category. However, I was unable to delete the first one due to the option being unavailable.

No sweat. If you posted only in Shared Resources, the Welcome Wagon wouldn't greet you. (A lot of folks don't read that forum unless they've got something to share.) And if you posted only here, people looking to rideshare might not find it.

It's not a big deal, & that's why I left both posts intact. :)

Savannah

Postby 9ah » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:11 pm

Got it... I saw the beginning and then thought maybe I was dreaming up the other post... It was pretty late at night for me after all. No sweat off my back.

As far as finding the right camp and travel mates it all depends on what you are looking for. Last year I coordinated the rideshare logistics for others... We were packed to the BRIM in a full sized car... I would not advise doing that with full gear from folks (I posted this somewhere else some time back). We were able to make it work since three of us had most of our gear shipped to the playa already. I was the driver and I had stuff stuck between my seats, in the back window, under every seat, etc... And we checked the wheel wells after each stop. I found my riders though rideshare posts, and since I was arriving early I had to confirm/trust that each of them had entrance and didn't arrive with potential contraband.

As for my camp, a friend that I was traveling with had the final say and we went with that... Thankfully it worked out, I have heard horror stories (maybe not horror but you may get what I mean) from some ppl about their first camps. I think it's like finding the perfect pet or apartment, once you get there it just clicks. I can only speak for my camp, but they are a welcoming and all inclusive bunch. We are a pretty large camp by some standards, almost 150. Many folks meet up off-playa during the year (We just had folks in camp participate in a paintball challenge... that we WON!!!).... Most of us are Facebook friends and stay in contact on a friend/familial level.

Illuminate. Navigate. Celebrate.
What would you do if you knew you couldn't fail?
9ah

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: Lamplighters

Postby jkisha » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:08 pm

Hey there, welcome to eplaya!
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby Yazzysays » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:00 pm

Hey Tiana!

My names Yasmin.. I'm 24 and I live in Santa Clarita...I'm also a virgin burner going alone because my friends were not down......

I have a good amount of camping experience and I'm not a pain in the ass. Lol.
Yazzysays

Postby chakrakhan » Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:24 pm

hey darling. looking for a los angeles based camp? check out black rock french quarter. https://www.facebook.com/blackrockfrenchquarter?fref=ts
like our facebook page to keep up work parties and other events that we have going on preburn, make friends, see who you gel with and perhaps some other plans will be born out of those friendships.

chakra khan
chakrakhan

Return to Introduce Yourself!