Storing Fire Spinning Fuel

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

Storing Fire Spinning Fuel

Postby Redward » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:43 pm

The fuel I use is 50/50 white camp fuel and white torch oil. In the interest of storing these fuels properly I'd like to ask from anyone with experience if I should have any concerns or take any out of the ordinary precautions for the burn. I've never stored fuel in the desert before.
Redward

Burning Since: 2013

Re: Fire Spinning Fuel

Postby Savannah » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:01 pm

I'm not sure what "out of the ordinary" precautions would be (because I'm no fire safety expert, nor do I know what your level of experience is or what you're using it for) but try this:

Main Site --> Preparation --> Scroll down to Health & Safety --> "Fuel & Hazmat Storage"

If that page is too general, I note that there's a Burning Man email address to write to, or you can make a follow-up post.
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby Redward » Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:03 pm

Yeah the safety guide refers to large storage, barrels. With distance requirements of 10' from a vehicle or tent. The fuel will be used for fire spinning, that is soaking kevlar wicks in above said fuel and, well, spinning them. I have over one years experience storing handling and lighting this fuel, but 0 experience under extreme heat. I would normally just keep my 1 gallon tin container in my trunk. Wasn't sure just how hot it would get under the sun on the playa. Its an individual use amount so I was just looking for an individual experience.
Redward

Postby Savannah » Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:19 pm

I'll bet ePlaya users OregonRed or AntiM might know; so might the Fire Conclave, which is searchable on the main site.

There's not much in the way of poi safety threads on ePlaya yet (which is unusual). I do note some discussion of Fuel Dip/Spin Off.
viewtopic.php?p=393198

I'm going to move this thread to Q&A Tips and Tricks, since this is more of a safety question rather than an announcement of/recruitment for a performance.
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Re: Storing Fire Spinning Fuel

Postby Redward » Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:38 pm

Yes thank you for the information and moving the thread.
Redward

Postby AntiM » Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:34 pm

Mylarry and I are the Utah fuel masters. Desert heat does nothing to white gas. We store it in the metal cans it comes in, that is actually a federal transportation thing. Not that anyone is checking, we find the cans safe and convenient. Store them in an open or well ventilated area, in the shade. No smoking area is best. We keep ours in the shade structure or in our utility trailer. Under your car is fine, the trunk is too hot and enclosed.

Have fun.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby phil » Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:39 pm

> the trunk is too hot and enclosed.

Yeah, Louise and I used to sail, and the last thing you want is your supply of alcohol or gasoline in an enclosed space, whether it's hot or not. Please do not store cans of gasoline or alcohol in your trunk, even if it's not hot. I've read too many news stories of boats "burning to the waterline" when their fuel ignited, generally from fumes.
phil

Postby illy dilly » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:13 pm

I don't spin, but my camp mates do.
Also, they just use the Coleman White Gas, and don't mix it. So, it might be a little different.
For transport, we will typically bring cans that have been opened and slightly used or more. We try to make sure that each can is short about 1/4 of the can. The only reason we do that is that when we change elevations high and lower (happens a lot of times coming from CO) the gas and air inside the can has room to expand and contract with out putting too much stress on the can it self.
Then in camp, we just store the cans of gas in the shade. Normally out side of the kitchen :roll: .
Often times under the box truck behind one of the tires, or someplace out of sight. But, not under any vehicle which will likely be turned on during the week.
We store all our Gasoline, white gas, and the generator under the box truck, as there is always shade, its well ventilated, and we're able to chain the generator to the leaf springs or some part of the truck chassis. And since people aren't walking around under the box truck there is little chance of someone knocking over the gas, or stubbing a toe on the generator.
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks